/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/9xCgpb
pcpartpicker.com/list/BCP9Fd
youtu.be/iQTmve0Xcak
pcpartspicker.com/list/fRvmWX
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131706&Tpk=N82E16814131706
pcpartpicker.com/list/rj7Zr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/zQ9FxY
slickdeals.net/f/9742120-asus-rog-radeon-rx-480-8gb-gddr5-video-card-184-99ar?src=catpagev2
pcpartpicker.com
a.co/5GoRU6n
acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/DT.B16EK.008
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kaby Lake has been released! Skylake is depreciated if corresponding chips are similarly priced (e.g., i5 7600K vs i5 6600K)!
>Some motherboards will have a one-click, 5GHz on air OC button that works for 80% of i5 7600Ks
>100 series chipsets (Z170, B150, ect) don't work out of the box with Kaby Lake
>Z series chipsets have an "Enhanced Turbo", which allows all cores to run at the highest single core boost clockspeed (works for Skylake CPUs as well)
>Pentiums now have hyperthreading, and are thus the new default budget / entry level gaming CPUs
>Pentium G4560 is the best price / perf four thread CPU on a modern platform
>All Kaby Lake CPUs work natively with 2400MHz DDR4 memory
>Do not underestimate the impact of fast (>2400, e.g, 3000MHz) RAM in conjunction with a Z series chipset, which often provides as much of a performance boost as a CPU overclock

Put together a list to maybe help out an user looking for a semi-budget rig that performs well. - $735 not including the OS
>pcpartpicker.com/list/9xCgpb
Yes yes, I know, "but the 8350 is shit!" "am3 socket is dead!" But there's a few things to consider here; we're talking in the budget range of i3's and maybe MAYBE low-clock i5's but with some major component compromises. Benchmarks are showing the 8350 will outperform in a lot of cases even the overclockable kaby lake i3 at a much lower cost, which is the whole point of this.
The whole reason I did this list was because I saw that massive deal on that 990fx msi motherboard that should allow some really aggressive overclocks if you have the guts to do it, or just really stable overclocks at modest Freq/Volts.

What do you think? Case was kind of a crapshoot.

Local shop selling Asus z170-A and z170 Pro Gaming for the same price. Which one is better?

Go Intel or wait for Zen

Looks fairly good
But the 8350 is shit and the am3 socket is dead
You also want at least an 80+ metal rating, you could do that for $5-10 more

i5 6400, cheapest MSI z170 board you can find, overclock to 4.2+GHz.
Do not settle for that shit you will regret it.

I actually revised the list to chop it down to ~$650

pcpartpicker.com/list/BCP9Fd
oops

garbage

Care to elaborate?

You're paying good money for obsolete hardware.

trbl single thread
dead socket with only housefires to upgrade to
470 when 4gb 480 is almost the same price
meh ssd
overkill psu
you'd be better off with a 4560 on a b250 or a 6500 on a h-b 1xx for your money

overkill psu

For what fucking purpose do you need a Vishera CPU? That's obsolete technology.

The 600w is only $35. The lower models from the same product line aren't really cheaper. Not a ton of great bronze units for that price any way.
youtu.be/iQTmve0Xcak
The vishera 83xx chips beat out even the overclocking i3s let alone the pentium.
The GPU I will concede.

is this ok for 1080p?

Yeah, although there's something to be said for getting the 1060 over the 480. Still looks alright though.

Mobo is just basic shit, no 3000 RAM, standard memegate HDD, no SSD, bad PSU for OC and overpriced case.
What a waste of 933€.

Will I have trouble if I get a 4gb card instead of 8? I need to calculate literally every buck but I finally need a new card.

Well it might stop being enough for ultra settings sooner than you think. If you are okay with lowering the settings or resolution, then you might do fine with it for a while.
It's also not like a the performce automatically shits itself down to 10 fps when the vram is exceeded a little.

pcpartspicker.com/list/fRvmWX

I intend to play games mostly. Some titles at lower settings obviously. I think the GPU may need an upgrade but keeping the price down is important. Anywhere else I could skimp?
Also don't worry about monitor, that's going to change most likely.

Help please.

It's shit.

Virtually the same mobo, get the one with preferred features or lower price.

Better GPU recs?

By it's shit i mean the whole build is complete shit.

I know it's a basic mobo with an i5 but I'm not looking for insane performance. I wouldn't call it shit.

You don't get it, do you? You don't even realize it... Just get a prebuilt and call it a day.
You have obviously not a single idea of what you're doing.

Is there any reason why i should pick a XFX RX 480 over a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480?
They seem to be about the same except for the looks.
Just trying to figure it out before buying, the price is about the same.

The latter gets pretty hot I think.

When I touch my case I get electrical shock.
Does this mean my PSU is shorting?

No it means you have carpeted floors

I don't have carpeted floor though.
And it's not static discharge.

But it literally is static discharge

It's not dynamic discharge, you would definitely feel 12 volts and you definitely would not feel 5 volts, your computer is running fine I assume?

Then why only my case gets me shocked?
Yeah, I've been shocked by car battery so I know the feeling.
>running fine
Well it shutdown at random or when it I run the mouse very fast it would freeze then shutdown.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131706&Tpk=N82E16814131706

How's this brand?
Reviews look mostly positive, but I want to be sure because it looks a tad iffy. Sale price is pretty good though.

pcpartpicker.com/list/rj7Zr7
like $15 cheaper and a whole lot better
btw you're a fucking idiot

He's just being a retard for no reason. You don't need a CPU cooler or thermal paste on a non overclockable CPU, mobo can be cheaper and I don't know what you have planned for the monitor but a 1050 Ti isn't going to be nearly powerful enough for 1440p at 60 FPS.

pcpartpicker.com/list/zQ9FxY

Same price with an infinitely better CPU and GPU.

That old mamasan they had doing the AMD product launch comparing Ryzen to a Skylake CPU only for the Ryzen to lose, well that doesn't seem too convincing. Basically AMD is saying that Ryzen can "almost" do what Skylake can but only like $50-$100 cheaper. Did they even account for the fact that Intel can simply lower their prices?

They did their best come on now

The RX480 is fucking expensive, here you go:

slickdeals.net/f/9742120-asus-rog-radeon-rx-480-8gb-gddr5-video-card-184-99ar?src=catpagev2

I'm still seeing absolutely zero price information where does Sup Forums keep figuring out how much cheaper than Intel it's gonna be, everybody seems to know but AMD

Is the 1050 still a better buy than the 460 if the 460 costs €125 and the 1050 costs €153 where I live? I'm just looking for something basic as shit to use as an eGPU

Shit. PowerColor sucks, single radiator cards run hot and loud.
Don't buy this unless you're a total poorfag whos priority is budget and budget only.

You can get a 1050Ti, which is better than the 470.

>1050Ti, which is better than the 470
nigga wut

No 470 is better than 1050ti
460 shouldn't be considered, both the 1050 and the 470 are much better price/performance (being at lower and higher performance levels)

Well it's sold out now so I'd be shit outta luck anyway.

I'll save up a little more to get a better brand.

Can anyone link me the price/performance sweet spot chart for CPU/GPU?

For AMD cards i'd stick to Asus, MSI, Sapphire and XFX.

>Should I get the €125 or the €150 card?
>Get the €190 card

I wouldn't have asked if I could do that

>Get new laptop
>Big hype over Kaby Lake integrated graphics, able to run brand new games at 30fps and low-normal resolutions
>3200x1800 screen
Well this sucks, if I lower the game resolution to 1600x900 the mouse sensitivity gets all fucked up

Shut the fuck up.

For $50 you can have a machine that computes algorithms, processes data and networks for you, displaying all this information on a glowing array of electrically charged fluid
It doesn't get better price/performance than that

Hello friends, quick question that I'm sure is asked a lot. I have an i5-6500 in a rosewill tyrfing case. I live in the south where even with my wall A/C it gets pretty hot.

Best cpu cooler for less than $60? I know everyone says the 212 Evo but just asking. I have 3 case fans installed with the stock cpu fan and it runs pretty cold now in the winter but I'd prefer not to have a melted cpu

>900p and 30fps
Nice video game console

Guys I just built my first PC, I bought, a FX4300, GTX 960, 600 PSU

Now just 2 days later I start it up, open H1Z1, after 1 minute.of being in game.it crashes my system, nothing I can, not even get to task manager.

So I turn it off and back on and no detection from my monitor, and loud fast fans.

I can only think it's my motherboard that's fucked up right? I changed ram and still no fix. So it's either motherboard or GPU correct?

I'm thinking its my motherboard cause even when I turn it on my Bluetooth mouse/keyboard doesn't sync, even though the power is there.

Please help bros, thanks.

Did you wear gloves or ground yourself when putting it together?

Cryorig M9i should be all you need for a locked CPU but if you want more then get the Cryorig H7.
The 212 is good but aged and gets BTFO by the H7.

I need a computer to use as a home server. I'd like to have access to all of my programs and files from my phone or anywhere else. What sort of hardware and programs do I need?

What do you think about a Cryorig C7 for an tiny ITX build with an i5-7500?

Dark Rock 3.

Yes I used anti static thingy on my wrist and it's been working fine for past 2 days, I was just waiting for more ram, installed that today and it worked fine until H1Z1 crashed it.

I thought maybe it's the RAM so I took it out and put the old one back on but nope still no detection from my monitor, tried different HDMI cable, maybe it's the GPU, but in the back of my mind I doubt it.

It must be the motherboard since it can't even detect my keyboard and mouse with the dongle in.

Right, right guys?, Ive ordered a new motherboard from Amazon prime, so should be here tomorrow I hope this is the issue

Did you check to see if your mobo is touching your case? Might be shorting. You did use the standoffs right?

Good choice.

Thanks for the quick responses hopefully I can narrow down the problem, yep I used the standoffs, the mobo is not touching the case

Most cases comes with standoffs pre-installed anyways...

Most but not all. Mine didn't.

Mine came with it but not pre-installed

>tfw video game console assembly general

>tfw this meme again

No. 1050 is better, but not THAT much better.

pcpartpicker.com

Already have the parts except the 1070, but I have extra money. What do next Sup Forums

Considering a pre-built because its generally cheaper, I already have a PSU so I will be swapping out the PSU and installing my old GTX960. Can anyone build a similar PC for cheaper?

a.co/5GoRU6n

>

No that's just not possible, an i5 for $300. The i5 already cost like $200... Plus you get Windows 10 that isn't a pirate copy and full warranty instead of fixing it yourself, you can't beat this deal.

Would it support an ASUS GTX 1050ti STRIX ?

Piggy backing off this post but if you're going to build a RX460/1050/1050 Ti rig, aren't you better off with just buying a prebuilt and installing the GPU in that?

Yes, and plus the idiots in here can not build anything remotely as cheap or as good for that matter.

>i5 Skylake
>8GB
>1tb hd
>500w PSU
>Bluray
>Windows 10 64bit home
There is no way in hell anyone can build this for $300, they can't even build this for $1000 because of the Blurray.

Of course you can't, that i5 alone is like $180

Honestly muh-custom build is the ultimate snake oil, I'm sure that ugly ass LED RAM makes the thing with the same exact spec faster than my $300 ACER.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought LEDs were for aesthetics and not performance
Or was I memed?

Does your board have a x16 pci slot? Will it fit in your case? Then yes.

Yes, but apparently my PSU doesn't have 8-pin, only 6-pin, I checked and 1050ti has 8-pin but for example GTX 1060 has 6-pin, is there another good alternative?

Zotac 1050TI doesn't need external power.

How is it powered?

how do you think it is?

Through the motherboard.

Thank you

I have 3 GTX 980's installed in a Supermicro X10DRi (EATX) in a Phantek Enthoo Pro case. The middle card (unsurprisingly) is throttling. The bottom card gets pretty hot too because it is right up against the PSU shield. There are no fan mounts on the sides of the case so I am trying to increase airflow in the best way possible using the bottom or top fan mounts. These cards exhaust away from the motherboard so I'm not sure if adding fans that blow across the exhaust path would just cause the hot air to swirl around the case.

I'm not really sure what the best solution is, any ideas?

So the post about the Acer Aspire above got me thinking. I want to upgrade from my rig I built a few years ago with a i5 3570k, 8 GB RAM and Radeon HD 7850. Would it be a bad idea to just buy this for €525, reuse the PSU from my current rig and buy an 8 GB RX480 for the rest of my budget instead of trying to build an equivalent build for that price? I've already got a bunch of fully functioning parts, I just want to upgrade my CPU and GPU.

The cheapest rig I can build with a core i5 and RX480 would cost around €850 and that's without any storage since I already have the HDD and a SSD.

acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/DT.B16EK.008

What's the cheapest CPU that would be a direct upgrade from an Ivy Bridge i5?

Or should I just buy it as it is and get a 1050 Ti since I only play games at 1080p?

6600k somehow overclocks faster...

Is windows vista still a good OS to use?

I've heard the opposite. Source?Vista was never a good os

Is it ok to use now? Like for gaming/emulation?