Why the fuck are desks so fucking expensive? Hell...

Why the fuck are desks so fucking expensive? Hell, I find like desks that are thinner than these and they still cost at least $300 or more. I can handle paying out the ass for this, but at least don't make the market cost to where I can easily just buy two dinner tables and make that my computer desk.

Other urls found in this thread:

ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/malm-desk-with-pull-out-panel-black-brown-art-60214183/
ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/fredde-workstation-black-art-50219044/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Office grade desks tend to be designed to take a shitload of wear and tear. Though a lot of places do overprice them.

Otherwise you are paying for materials, or even design. I do feel a lot of "traditional" desks use a clunky unergonomic design personally.

I just want something fairly priced for what it's designed for. I'm reconstructing my office space, which is my room, and I'm looking to get a good spacial workspace.

No user. Desks aren't expensive.

Just go to Ikea.
Ikea has good desks (like the Malm one I use) at a reasonable price.
ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/malm-desk-with-pull-out-panel-black-brown-art-60214183/

Where are you from? If you're in Europe you might be able to get old stuff that the municipality or county hospitals and schools are replacing.
They're usually high quality stuff here in Sweden (pic related).

Are ikea desks reliable? Heard horror stories

I'm in the US, but craigslist usually has some alright deals on some old desks they're replacing, whether its in a school or office.

>Ikea has good desks

user

dont buy the cheap shit wooden filler stuff

get a Jerker (ye lol)

I know that feel. I just got a desk for $30 last year and refurbished it myself. It's real wood and the same size a $500 one was going for at a local furniture store.

It werks though.

OP brings up a good point. Where does one find a desk that is good but doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Any recommendations?

How much will I be paying to surpass the cheap threshold?

Best computer desks are utility tables, usually built to take a lot of stress and weight for garage stuff.

Depending on your area thrift stores may be an option, salvation army close to me consistently has extremely sturdy 20-70 year old solid wood furniture of all types for less than $30-50

At my old staying, I got a damn good big ass desk from someone moving for free. The shit was great, and the only reason I didn't bring it with me is because it was so damn big. It held everything on it.

Because it's one of those things that the user often doesn't pay for. As a rule of thumb that's a good way to drive up prices. "Business class laptops" work the same way, for example.

It's as good a time as any to learn how to assemble furniture out of dimensional lumber, though. Make it simple at first and expand with parts as you learn.

Only thing I have against wood is that it attracts insects.

i dont know, i bought that desk second hand for $50 a few years ago. it's metal and solid wood, as long as you stick to that you should be fine with most desks.

DID YOU TRY FUCKING IKEA?

Y)OU KNOW, THAT WEBSITE THAT HAS $40 60 INCH LONG TABLETOPS AND $10 LEGS THAT SCREW INTO THEM?

Mine is. I built it by myself and though I am over 6ft and quite strong, it was a little surprising to see just how heavy it was. Don't take that in a bad way though, its heavy in a good way.
This desk has been with me for over a year and doesn't have even the slightest sign of any wear/tear/wobbles, and I've got my computer (with fully custom water cool solution in there, CPU+GPU), monitor, speakers, lamp, pig figurines, the lot.
Not the slightest bit of instability.

I know my wood does

True this.

I got an Ikea Galant, held up well over the past 8 years, but wasn't that cheap either

Not exactly like your pic OP, but I picked my desk up at a thrift store for $45. They're big and really hard to move, be warned.

Not the user to whom you're replying but since I'm using exactly what you just described, I'll point out a caveat: this is ever so slightly too tall for a desk. if I could be bothered I'd look for new legs about 2-3" shorter since I can't really lop anything off these ones.

shop at ikea they said

ikea sells height adjustable legs though

weight has always been the one thing I think about for buying a desk. I live on the second floor of an apartment, so transportation will be a pain in the ass.

I should stop being lazy and order them, then.

Hopefully everyone else reading this now knows to do that from the start and not repeat my mistake.

you do realize that this is an electric height adjustable desk, don't you?

you fucking retard

ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/fredde-workstation-black-art-50219044/

This thing is pretty battle station class.

Yeah, there are good used desks that are big. I was lucky to be able to load mine from the store. Moving it again isn't a worry now.

Didnt say shit about it, but you can see why such a thing can bring about perception on desk prices.

Got a recommendation for a desk that can hold a lot of work?

not even power lifted is it? wow.

>- You can adjust the height of the table top electrically from 22" to 48" to ensure an ergonomic working position.

????

manually

there is no motor on the desk

Cheap furniture is almost always a waste of money. When your young you think otherwise, but then you see that Ikea crap you bought 3 years ago falls apart completely overtime while that properly built furniture you bought at a garage sale is 20 years old and will last another 20 years easily.

i can guarantee that the shit companies and govt buys is twice as expensive

I would unironically buy this if it came in adult size. But it looks too small and I'm too tall to fit beneath that shit.

I looked at that in store when I got my Malm (I was actually going there for a different type, I think, when my partner recommended the Malm instead.)
That desk is flimsy as shit, or damn well feels like it.
Oh sure, its metal, but its flimsy, weak metal. Too ornate, not very practical.

Do you not see the fucking up/down buttons? Yes its fucking motorised.
The non-motor one has a hand crank.

>electric
>manual

what?

but they do .... ?

It doesn't say anywhere in this image that it is electric

I dont even want to know the price

Posting this because the actual name of the product is "Bait Station"

>not ceran wrapping your furniture

there's shit from a few hundred to a grand.

I can assure you, I wouldn't feel comfortable climbing up those hollow "stairs". Nothing good can come of a fully grown adult climbing what is essentially a chest of drawers.

I got this at office depot for $50
don't cheap out on desks, this is a massive piece of shit and can barely fit 2 monitors on and is flimsy as fuck

How fat are you user?

One sec, will weigh myself after I take a shit.

thats a designers imagniation, any sane person would use thick steps you dumbass

I can tell from it alone that I wouldnt trust my rig on that thing. Provided, my rig would probably be near my feet, but still.

My former rommate had a rad black modern desk. It could only fit one monitor, but man was it comfortable to sit at. Though I give more credit to the chair he had being high enough to be there.

>partner

define reliable
I got that exact Malm desk, the glue holding a thin layer of painted wood one of the sides let go within 6 months, the paint on the edge facing me started to go around that time also and has gotten worse over 3 years. Got water damaged pretty quickly as well due to a desk plant, so now one end is all lumpy. Extremely easy to scratch as well. Also the wire management pocket under the desk is a disaster and hard as shit to maintain, and dust is impossible to clean out from where the retractable desk bit meets the main desk.

But is it ""reliable"" as in "does it hold shit"? Yea sure its like 5 slabs of wood and it does its job I guess. If I could though, I'd go back and buy a real desk instead of this ikea shit. Local Costco has brought in some way better shit over the yeras for just ~40-60 dollars more.

>Not having your own personal cuteboy partner
Don't you know that having one increases your programming ability by 200%?

Im from a 3rd world country so im not sure this will be relatable to you but why dont you check your local carpenter if there is one ?

you guys remember these? so glad this retarded fad died.

that glass looks thick. he had to have forced something on it

110kg = 17.3 stone = 242.5lbs
6'3"
I'm fat, but not hamplanet fat.

I find it a bit odd calling my 53 year old ladyfriend a "girlfriend", especially when she's my fiancee.

might be some CGI but there's plenty of real stories

I'll never understand why they were made with real glass and not plexi-glass or at least tampered glass

that is tempered glass you mong

i believe most are tempered aka safety glass but many of these broken ones might be cheap cunts just buying whatever they found and not taking weight into account.

i dont think acrylic is a good choice here cus it flexes and scratches too easily

they aren't if you make your own

>you have died

pottery

that fucking chair, tho

I'm a programmer, not a carpenter. But I live in Texas, so I'm sure there's someone I can commission around here.

If you actually go to the show room you can find which desks aren't just paper pieced together. There's a lot of them that are pretty solid.

that defeats the whole fucking purpose and will be just as expensive as buying something good unless you can make a trade or know a guy.

Ok, here is my tip if you aren't a complete faggot.

Look at particleboard, look at how thick it is, look at how much it costs.

Shit by me costs 25$ for a 4 foot by 8 foot board.

Now, any desk that isn't real word IS particle board, so you know the kind of weight it can take.

get 2 boards and have them glued/bolted/screwed together and make legs out of the area you cut out. buy a 3rd board would likely give you shelf space

a bit of creativity with the particleboard, some aluminum braces possibly wheels, and you now have sliding drawers.

get a cheap hard wood and make some braces out of it, you know just to be sure, the particleboard doubled up will take anything you put on it within reason, but better safe then sorry.

and with this you have a desk that is 15-20 square feet of space for under 150$

Now, you can cast a urethane top on it, and that will cost you a bit but be perfect for your needs, just need to watch those bubbles or you are fixing shit later.

you could also put some vinyl stickers on it or glue some nice vanerar to it but both of these are costly.

another thing you could do is what my school did for art. They gut a fuck ton of wood, stood it on its side, and glued it together, that way at the end of the year, they could sand the fuck out of the top, put down a new lacquer coating, and call it a day, and they could do this for the next 100 years and not run out of wood. then you stand it up with some metal or thick pvc pipes and call it a done job.

If you have access to a router, you can easily add flourishes to the desk

all in all, 200$ for something a store would sell for 1000$ isn't bad at all.

Sorry, didn't mean tempered. I'm not sure what the word is for what I mean.
I like the anti-shatter shit that they put on car windows so it doesn't just fall into pieces when it gets broken

Build one. I bought 3 thick zebrawood boards and 5 walnut wood boards for legs which cost me around $120 together. Desks aren't cheap, if it isnt chink garbage you are paying atleast 2/3 just for the craftsmanship so don't expect much from a sub $500 desk

Don't expect it to be cheap

I have neither. So yes, I'm probably better off just buying a premade.

this

I'm about to make my own desk too, so I can sit on the floor next time I'm using my computer, can lay on the floor to rest if I want.

Except this implies you own or have free access to the tools needed to do this

Sure, he'll go out back to his fully custom workshop right now except he likely doesn't have anything like that dumbass

I have some cheap ones. They're just an aluminium frame with tempered glass on them.
Thinking about replacing the glass with a simple wooden plate.
Glass is pretty uncomfortable and yes i'm afraid it brakes one day.
They still served solid 7 years.

simple but not that bad.
Would use

That looks uncomfortable as fuck
Are you supposed to sit with your legs crossed?

Or even know how to use them
I was lucky that my high school had shop classes to take

maybe his legs got cut off

Sit standing desk frames are cheap now for around $300.

Just get a table top from Ikea, a door, or some plywood or whatever and put in on the frame.

maybe try to make it convertable so you can switch it to a full desk or even a full standing desk. sitting on the ground or laying on it isn't that comfy after all.

>"I can learn how to build myself a desk but I won't do it, because I'm a programmer!!! What the fuck do you think I am?"

>particle board
At least use plywood, or even OSB. Most people can't make joints, a pocket hole jig works wonders

Anybody can learn how to do that, but to make anything of quality takes skill, something that not everyone has

if you have building materials place near you just buy some thing fucking square logs and a bunch of metal angles and bolts plus a solid wood tabletop. could probably get good instructions over at pic somewhat related

I'm not going to spend about three to six months learning how to build a desk. I actually waste more time (=money) doing that when I can just get one economically.

btw most places can cut the planks for you, then you just have to drill and bolt it together and lay the table on top

>Invest a few hundred to save less than a hundred
gee thanks
If you have the tools already on hand then thats different but not everyone here has the space for them

well, you can sit however you want, it's not that necessary about how you gonna to sit.

pretty sure some friend, your parents or friends parents have all the tools you'd need. Just make yourself a plan, buy the materials and built it yourself. Not that hard desu

you only need a drill you fucking retard, see

You'd have to pull it away from the wall to sit with your legs out though

A sane person will make a steel frame but non of Sup Forums can do basic "man" stuff e.g. fix a car engine let alone wield stuff.

I made my own, designed it and made it, so worth it, everything is as I want it