>paying $1000+ for a pc that doesnt even have a dedicated gpu

Are ultrabooks a meme? They are like window versions of mac

>computers are only for video games

>Not knowing xps 15 has GTX 1050...

this

kys Sup Forums fags

>I don't know what a laptop is for

Came here to post this.
Seriously though would they be of any use for video playback or extending the lifetime of usefulness of a laptop?
My HP pooinloo G62 (2011 2-core Turion) is still chugging along but really struggles on some godawful websites. Not sure if this would be offset by a dedicated gpu with everything else accounted for.

Browsing certain websites requires a strong CPU, with a strong single thread performance.

Web developers/designers need to be gassed.

You don't want a dedicated GPU in a laptop. They increase heat and power consumption (and switchable graphics is still shit on Windows, Mac and Linux.) Most people know this, which is why you can still get iGPUs in high end laptops. If you want to play vidya, you can wait till you get home and play them on a desktop PC.

>I think I can dictate how others ought to use their devices

I wouldn't even consider dGPUs on a laptop because i don't do work that requires them, the iGPU is enough and who the fuck plays videogames on a laptop.

Also extra heat and switchable graphics always worked like shit.

ultrabook's goal is to provide Great CPU performance on a small portable package

so it's quite suitable for people moving around

a Dedicated GPU is needed for Games or heavy renders, then again both of this actions consume so much battery life and require you to be sitting down on the first place

Instead now there will be external GPU docks available, which will allow you to play your games on your small light laptop and in some points have better performance than dedicated gaming laptops because the GPU doesn't share cooling with the CPU

Anything you need a dedicated GPU for, you need a desktop PC for unless you want melted legs, a fan louder than a jet engine and five minutes of battery life. Laptop GPUs are all garbage and ridiculously cost-ineffective. I used to buy laptops with dedicated GPUs, but I'm just sick of them now. None of them are good.

>Instead now there will be external GPU docks available
I've been using a $35 EXP GDC for like a year or so.

integrated GPU's now allow you to play shit like CS:GO or any other game like until 2012

also now with thunderbolt3/usbc there will be external GPU Docks and enclosures so there's no need to carry around a heavier and bulkier laptop just to be able to play games

I needed a portable, light-weight laptop/ultrabook running Windows (necessary for dedicated translation-related software I use), with good battery life for what I'm doing (20 hrs max is a good result IMO), relatively silent keyboard (mechanical all the way at home, but in this case that wasn't an option), stylish looks for non-computer people ("oh, look at its thin bezels! so cool!") was also a bonus - for when I need to go somewhere and show my work. I wouldn't want a hackintosh because I don't want to be associated with people who buy Apple products.

XPS build quality is good enough, dimensions are small enough for it to sit in a car glovebox as a backup. I don't watch any 4K videos, I don't play games on it, I don't code, etc. My XPS 13 already earned its value several times, was always reliable, no issues. Guess I'm a minority, but there's a target group for this kind of devices

I'm sold. I am ordering one from their website as we speak. What's your referrer ID#?

>muh desktop

what if Im in college and want to game and cant bring my desktop with me?

anyone who gets a laptop with a dedicated video card is just looking for trouble
>muh driver is shit and cannot switch
>muh optimus bluescreen
>muh battery life

What do you do on your laptop that requires more than the integrated graphics on a 13 inch laptop or a 1050 on a 15 inch laptop? The integrated graphics on new CPUs are good enough for playing lightweight games and you're going to have a miserable time if you try to play triple A titles on a laptop.

Modern CPUs in laptops are also good enough to handle things like video editing and you're going to have a dedicated desktop to do all your heavy lifting if you're serious about that kind of work anyways. The only reason for why you would need a gaymen laptop is if you travel all the time but still somehow have the time to sit on your ass and play video games.

I recently bought a laptop without dgpu precisely because external gpus are becoming a thing

Thunderbolt 3 Ultrabook + external GPS dock

e.g. XPS 13 + devil box

Get a 13 inch laptop with an external GPU

GPU dock ofc

stupid autocorrect

I was wondering if there is a noticable difference between U and HQ Intel CPUs.

What are the reasons I'd prefer an i7 7700HQ over an i7 7500U for instance ?

HQ is high performance, U is power efficient. Doubt you'll notice a difference in day to day usage but it makes a difference for CPU heavy tasks.

It's quadcore vs dualcore, user. You can bet your ass you'll notice the difference in performance if you do anything CPU heavy that can use more than 2 cores.

>40gbps gpu throttling
>Ulv laptop CPU
No thanks

I mainly use Android Studio for work and I absolutely hate when AS is building, the whole PC stutters for like a sec and has overhaul poor performance when there are several diffrent windows open. Is its i5 6300U at cause ?

Chromebook and remote desktop into your dekstop

> 1800€ computer
> wastes money on gpu
> no true 16-Core over 3 Ghz
> LED- Fans

Srsly are Gaming PCs a Meme?

>They are like window versions of mac
Exactly. Their purpose is not to play games or do hardware intensive computation. They are mostly designed for mobility and productivity.

not every place has constant Internet connection, it's particularly hard to get in hospitals around diagnostic imaging labs

It's 45 watts quad core vs 15 watts dual core with hyperthreading
The U series are bretty good this generation
But there are rumors of Intel focusing on the quad core mobile market more too

Cisco will literally expand the antennae array for free if you're contracted

>modern iGPUs are plenty fast for every day use and even for light gaming.
>no GPU switching and BSODs bullshit
>generally more power efficient

faggot, it's 2017. Any kind of dedicated GPU is a meme unless you're gaming or doing heavily GPU intensive work.

I'm Europe-based, still it doesn't matter. I guess it won't work in places I'm talking about

Well I mean European hospitals are basically subsidized huts run by whoever is willing to
But that's the price you pay when you think 6 billion people inherently deserve complete unrestricted care from a 2 trillion dollar a year business
You know doctors have to pay for their hospital bills too
Medicine shouldn't be a failing business