/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Previously: /t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Search software by category: linuxlinks.com/Software/, directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
Search alternatives to common applications: alternativeto.net/, linuxalt.com/
Themes, artwork, and more: opendesktop.org/
Desktop environments and window managers: xwinman.org/
Distro search: distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=All

Computers preloaded with GNU/Linux and libre firmware: gnu.org/links/companies.html
Have an idea for a new software/feature? Want to make bucks by making free software?: bountysource.com/

News: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home, webupd8.org/, linuxjournal.com/, lwn.net/
Gaming news: gamingonlinux.com/, linuxgameconsortium.com/

Play and learn: mprat.org/Terminus/
Learn what a command is for:
$ man
$ info
$ help
Don't know what to look for? $ apropos
For advanced users: grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros): wiki.archlinux.org, wiki.gentoo.org

Learn more about Free Software: gnu.org/
Find a Linux User Group near you: lugslist.com/
Also LinuxChix (for girls) : linuxchix.org/
/fglt/'s website: fglt.nl/
/fglt/'s copypasta collection: p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/LhY1VM25
167.114.182.113/kareha/
github.com/nylira/prism-break/issues/1663
geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Richard_Stallman
art.net/Studios/Hackers/Hopkins/Don/text/rms-vs-doctor.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How are you paid to shill for lunix?

Remember, don't reply to flamewars, report and post a comment without a link to his post

maybe, just maybe he likes the operating system?!

:$ file /usr/bin/apropos
/usr/bin/apropos: symbolic link to whatis

Will you answer the question without threats of censorship? Who pays you daily to post this thread? Is it RedHat Linux Corporation?

this, you can tell for the info I post I pretty much like the platform

We know that Fedora has paid coders from RedHat too. That does mean Linux does not only mean free and unpaid.

what? apropos should be "man -k"

>LinuxChix

>We know that Fedora has paid coders from RedHat too

is that a sin?
Does linux coders have to survive just by driking coffee?

OP here, I agree there is people paid for marketing campaigns in Sup Forums. I also agree RedHat may be one, along Microsoft.

Yet I don't receive a penny for this. Your tears are my only reward ;^)

Try it you're self.
Report back.

>redhat advertising on Sup Forums
Ebun mene, like someone here can afford 1,5k USD a year per computer.

WAT!

confirmed

On htop can I compare two processes?

maybe tag then with space and then l for displaying open files?

>instead of teamviewer, i use X on linux

what is that X, /fglt/?

teamviewer

ssh with X forwarding

x2go or vnc

What is the ideal usb flash drive to use for installing a distro

>equality
>segregation
Pick one.

the one that works

>X
The X window system, AKA that thing that handles windows on linux-based operating systems.

whatis it is then.

>apropos

I'm afraid the one I'm using doesn't work well enough for booting or my computer is clinically retarded

>or my computer is clinically retarded
Shit happens. My old shitbox is extremely picky about it as well.

Try different software for making bootable USBs.
I always get different results. unetbootin worked for fedora but I had to resort to a windows machine running rufus to get a debian one.

If everything fails, use a CD/DVD. They always work

It's so difficult to find a CD with 2gbs of space, so I'll try to pick up a namebrand usb instead of the cheap surplus ones I have. If that fails, my pc just can't run linux for some reason

sometimes the application I used was the problem, unetbootin, so I use a simple command line burning method

cp distro.iso /dev/sdX
sync
where "X" is the correct device letter

other problem can be the BIOS, but that is computer specific, easily solvable by changing the BIOS setup

How to get rid of bottom window in emacs?

tell us how you're making the bootable usb, the problem may be in your process and not the drive. also are you just expecting it to autamagically boot from it or are you going into boot device selection and choosing it? there's several things it could be that you should check on before droping cash on another drive and finding that wasn't the problem

I've been trying to figure out a way to read .ePUB file from the command line but I'm not having any luck. I found this script but I just get "Cannot read file epub-read.css" after running it.

Script: pastebin.com/LhY1VM25

I'm not too knowledgeable with bash commands so if someone could help me out here, or point me to a better solution that'd be awesome.

C-x 1.
C-x o to change between frames.

If you want to put it back again do C-x 2 for horizontal split and C-x 3 for vertical split.
C-x 0 removes all frames but the one youre focused on (C-x o)

Create the directory emacs.d in your home directory, or enable read/write access to it. Kind of weird that emacs can't access it though.

I'm using rufus and burning the .iso to my usb drive. have also tried burning it as a DD. Then when I start my computer, I press escape and go to the grub screen for the distro boot and select install. Then a few minutes into the boot screen processes, it basically crashes and stops progressing

. Have tried this with several distros, and always get the same result

I deleted the Linux-swap in order to add like 50gbs to my Ubuntu partition. Since my laptop freezes up like all hell and takes forever to boot (I'm guessing it's searching for the boot file)

What can I do?

I'm thinking about clean installing because it's gotten so bad.

>enable read/write access to it
How do I do this? I'm not even sure where ~/.emacs.d/ would be.

>~/.emacs.d/
~ denotes your /home directory.
. in front of the filename indicates the file is hidden

wtf is this new OP
wtf is this linuxchix crap
wtf are "Linux User Groups"
op is a fag

>wtf is this linuxchix crap
Special treatment for womyn.

>wtf are "Linux User Groups"
A group of people doing insmod and rmmod on a daily basis.

>op is a fag
OP is always a fag, newfag.

>A group of people doing insmod and rmmod on a daily basis.

should I use tmux or screen and why

use dd (carefully). It has had incredibly high reliability for me. Be careful though as it will destroy all of your data if you specify the wrong output device. Be very sure OF= is correct.

It might surprise you but I've tried it many times and not a single time dd succeeded in making a bootable USB that worked on my laptop.

zsh: command not found: screenfetch

how2fix? I'm on Arch

repost from /sqt/, need some help with Apache

I'm trying to run Kareha on my ubuntu server but it's not running the .pl as a page, it just shows it as text

167.114.182.113/kareha/

I'm really newbie with how things in Ubuntu function, should it not be in that folder? I've seen a lot of documentation suggesting I add .pl to a text doc somewhere but I have no idea what to nano

Sorry for the need of spoonfeeding, but can I show the hidden file using the gui rather than terminal? How would I enable read/write access to it?

>linuxchix
lol what the fuck is this?
>Because girls are few in number we can pretend we have need for awareness to whore even more attention, even though in actuality girls get fucktons of attention online all the time already
You can't make this shit up

Hey fellas, I'm gonna start a "linuxsausageparty.com" and only guys are allowed lol
Who wants in?

does anyone use DeaDBeeF? i have pretty much set it up how i want, except it doesn't support $swapprefix (as far as i know)
are there any plugins/work arounds? or maybe just another music player recommendation.

OP is a girl

Which one of you did this?
github.com/nylira/prism-break/issues/1663

>LinuxChix
ahh, the sjw is finally here, it was a nice ride, goodbye everyone.

screen. GPL
tmux BSD
tmux includes most features of GNU Screen. It allows users to start a terminal session with clients that are not bound to a specific physical or virtual console; multiple terminal sessions can be created within a single terminal session and then freely rebound from one virtual console to another, and each session can have several connected clients. The features that differentiate tmux from GNU Screen are[3]

menus for interactive selection of running sessions, windows or clients
window can be linked to an arbitrary number of sessions[4]
vi-like or Emacs command mode (with auto completion) for managing tmux[5]
lack of built-in serial and telnet clients (which some consider bloat for the terminal multiplexer)[3]
easier configuration[6][7][better source needed]
different command keys—it is not a drop-in replacement for screen, but can be configured to use compatible keybindings

This is win.

I poked around, and found it.
What should I change all the permissions to? It can be "owner", "owner and group" or "anyone".

wtf is wrong with women?

He forgot to post the GNU/Linux pasta in there, plenty of heretics mispelling.

godbless you user, sorry I can't help though

screen, you can always use byobu for more eye candy but screen has more features

no pensi

>check the page
>Link to a TED talk

Thats something wrong.

there's like 2 links people don't agree, most are based

anyway, there is literally nothing wrong with womyn

They hate RMS ;_;
geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Richard_Stallman

wrong boyo, women are fine but womyn are cunts and attention/dramawhores

with women? nothing
with sjw? everything

>In 1993, he asked for birth announcements to be banned from emacs mailing list, unless they are announcements for seahorses, because then it would be the male that gives birth and therefore interesting.

epic
art.net/Studios/Hackers/Hopkins/Don/text/rms-vs-doctor.html

wish we could meet in real life and I could walk you through it, over Sup Forums is kind of cumbersome ;/

change it to anyone if you can. but i'm afraid this won't work, since their shouldn't be any other owner on a freshly installed linux but you and root.

Try to view emacs.d in command line with `ls -lha' command the entry right:

-rw-r--r-- 1

new to linux
should I install arch?

It's:

[ code ]code here[ /code ]

start with ubuntu or mint

>mint
broken botnet

trisquel to experience true freedumbs, fedora if you don't give a shit.

Use Ubuntu until you feel save. Don't listen to the trolls.

only edgy 15 year olds use arch linux
learn with ubuntu, you'll know what you really want later

Use Ubuntu if you like being a slave.

new to linux
should I install ubuntu?

try Arch

install arch, the aur is amazing

>amazon botnet
Just get arch, try archanywhere or antergos for easy installing.

I would always recommand ubuntu for beginners.

But I have to mention that I got had success with installing arch with the arch guide wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide.

I'd like to mention that the guide should has many small 'personal successes' along the way to let you stay motivated. (changing the layout, setting the time, learning hdd partitioning, change console, seeing the graphics user interface 1-2hours in).
But huge caveat thought, they kind of shortened the guide it seems, I remember reading a much longer version years ago...

Anyway I only attempted it after using ubuntu rather for a year casually

Thinkpad x230 here with Ubuntu here. Touchpad just stopped working completely. What do

architect, it guides you through install so you'll be guaranteed a working system at the end, but isn't so hand holdy that you don't learn anything. it makes a nice starting point

>should I install arch?

Do you want a broken system?

Yes: Do it.
No: Don't do it.

ubuntu is the best for babbies first linux
get arch, it teaches you about linux

so many typos orz

printf("thanks famalam\n"); /* commento desu ga!*/

since it is a thinkpad I'd try to google the issue "thinkpad x230 ubuntu touchpad not working" it may sound dumb, but the rule here is the more popular something is, the better you can troubleshoot it with google

>that fear of using pacman -Syu
I kind of like ubuntu, ubuntu 10.04 that is. And by that I mean 5y ago

Arch ships with the latest stable packages from upstream.
Anything else is user error

GNU/Linux*

>should I install arch?

Do you have balls?

Yes: Do it fagget.
No: go back to windows pussy.

FIFY

What's with the recent anti-linux shill threads on this board? There were always shill threads all the years I visited Sup Forums but this heavy anti-linux shilling is new. Are corporations getting afraid or is this just butt hurt fan boys spending their free time?

see

wtf is this meme post

>google
botnet, use searx or startpage

>FIFY
what does this mean

FFY.

fixed for you.

It depends, if you feel like you'll be comfortable with no gui out of the box, then go for it.

If don't then go with some *buntu, except the unity version.

Fixed it for you

FTFY = fixed that for you

That's the nam old rich ladies give to their puddles.

lmao