I want to install Linux. Problem is, I have a STRIX 1080 and a z170p motherboard...

I want to install Linux. Problem is, I have a STRIX 1080 and a z170p motherboard. Absolutely no Linux distro I've tried so far works with these pieces of hardware. Either the installer just doesn't load, or it does but the mouse is stuck at the top left corner. Installing the recommended NVIDIA drivers just causes a login loop. WHAT DO I DO?

>WHAT DO I DO?
INSTALL GENTOO

Why do you want to install Linux with that hardware?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I want Stallman fags to leave.

install debian over serial/ssh and install proprietary nvidia drivers from backports, should get you to v375 or so that i'm pretty sure supports the new geforce cards

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

probably the only thing you have to do is install the latesd nvidia driver via packagemanagement and you can still access your installation via commandline, even if you see just a loading screen, google a bit or get help in irc, there are tons of people who can help you with that.

when i first installed linux i thought, too that its a problem with mainboard. But it's probably your gpu driver. Also for nearly every common distro there is a wiki, learn how to use it. in many situations you can refer from other distros wikis. you dont have to refer to one wiki.

to come in terminal try something like
ctrl+shift+F5
then when you are for example on ubuntu/debian/mint type:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-367

Arch Linux doesn't have this problem

Yes it does.

>suggest a beginner archlinux
if you want to scare him away its absolute fine

>install ubuntu in low graphics mode
>after install change the init to 3 in grub
>add proprietary drivers repo (if 16.04)
>install nvidia-378 drivers
>install intel-microcode (i guess)
>reboot in normal mode
thats how i would try it desu.

How about you just use your powerful hardware and try few Linux OS in vm?

This

>Linux literally can't run on rich people's hardware
>Linux is literally made for poorfags only
>mfw

Pottery.

also by low graphics mode i meant the netinstall or server install.

Try something that has a recent kernel, like openSUSE Tumbleweed, or Fedora 25.

try these user

I've only ever had trouble with gaymen hardware. obviously your mileage may vary.

on debian its nvidia-drivers, and you need stable-backports for it, just to clarify.
And ctrl+shift+(1-7) wont work if he has non-working looping nvidia drivers, its safer to change init mode in grub as i said.
Its also fucking easy, just google it.