Which IDE/Text Editor Do you Use?

Which IDE or Text Editor does Sup Forums use?

Over the past couple years I've used a fair number of meme editors (Brackets, Atom, Sublime) as well as IntelliJ, but I'm starting to warm up to Vim and Emacs. Geany isn't bad either if you have Ubuntu

Vim, my man

i'm pretty happy with notepad++

emacs in evil-mode, best of both worlds

relevant poll was around not long ago

I use Eclipse. It's feels really bloated (there's a separate service called oomph running to track and record your preferences and configuration all the time), but I just got used to it. And programming Java, which I have to do for work, just feels weird without an IDE.
As a text editor I use Textadept. I use it for everything else.

Vim, tried so many times to use and like emacs, but it just shits me. Vscode if I'm on Windows

the default editor in linux mint is pretty comfy. intuitive and uncomplicated for editing anything, even if it's just reskinned gedit

windows shill detected

This surprises me. Vim #1? Is that solely because vi/vim is the most convenient when ssh'd into a server?

powershell ise

ed. It's the standard text editor.

Yes. Steep learning curve, but you save a lot of time.

custom. vim is too bloated for me

Yeah. Support for ASCII was when I dropped it.

>support for ascii

what

You should stop looking for bloat in your body instead of your text editor

Hexidecimal has a steep learning curve, but you save a lot of time.

I've been using vim for about 12 years now. I wouldn't say it saves a lot of time. It saves a small amount of time. Unless you are doing something which requires you to frequently record and playback keystrokes I can't see it saving a large amount of time. But still... time saved is time saved.

>hexidecimal
>not base 85
It's like you hate efficiency

Forgive me, I am retarded.

IDE's are required for writing code right? If I wanted to start learning C, would I be able to use say Sublimetext? What would you recommend?

Scite

gedit

yea but it would take forever. sublime is a text editor. if ur just starting just download eclipse

Technically you could use any text editor. However, an IDE is highly recommended. I actually started programming with C using vim and gcc from the command line. Nowadays I would much rather use Eclipse with a Vim keybindings plugin. Time is too valuable to be fucking about with makefiles and memorizing/looking up command line parameters for your compiler.

An IDE is not required for writing code, but depending on what your preferences are, it can make your life a little easier.

If you're learning C, I'm sure there are some C-specific IDE's you can use to automate tasks for you.

>IDE is highly recommended.
No. You have to know the IDE itself for that and a newuser doesnt have to learn the IDE first

>first day of uni
>professor starts talking about "emacs"
>call him a macfag and walk out

for very basic C there's no need for an IDE at all

just learn how makefiles work and how to run make from your text editor and you're done

also learn job control if you're using a terminal based one so you can suspend, test your program, and resume

Just learn Go instead, man. Come at me, Sup Forums

emacs is great once you get down the basic keybindings. Now I'm wishing every application would use them.

nvi
It's basically vi.

Do you feel like it's increased your productivity at all? I downloaded emacs awhile ago but even after going through several tutorials it feels odd to me.

but muh ctrlp

It takes a bit of time. However once I got used to the keybindings I found myself editing files much quicker and rarely if ever touching the mouse (using it now just feels like a major waste of time). It's especially notable if I use something like Notepad++, I just feel slow as fuck.

Sublime Text 3, switching to Vim when editing over SSH, or making quick edits in my terminal.

>IDE's are required for writing code right?
No. The only thing you need to write code is a text editor. To build it, you use a compiler. An IDE can provide both of these, along with a few other tools, in one environment, but more often than not, they are extremely bloated and difficult to navigate. For beginners, I always recommend starting with a text editor, as it will mean less fidgeting around with clunky interfaces. Compiling over command line is actually pretty simple

vim and liclipse ... but only because I can't be bothered to learn how to set up pydev.

windows is the standard operating system

both are garbage

kek

Spacemacs

Vim > Notepad++ > Nano > Atom > Emacs > Sublime

did you seriously put atom above fucking emacs

i dont even like emacs but jesus christ

They way I see it, if you use Emacs, swap Emacs and Vim.
There isn't room at the top for two powerful command line editors.

NetBeans , is the only correct answer

Mexican software?

I think it's more to do with how fast you can edit/navigate without ever having to touch your mouse. There's a ton of other features but at the core of it, is what anyone does in an editor, which is to type, edit, navigate.

Emacs with Evil mode and a few other small customizations.

No, they're not. If you're starting to learn how to program, start with a text editor. IDEs are helpful for large projects (100k+ lines), not for beginners. You won't use any of its features, except for, guess what: the built-in editor and the compiler (and later the debugger).

So skip that shit and start like everyone does, on a decent editor like Vim, compile your code with gcc and debug with gdb. Otherwise you'll grow to be a retarded code monkey who has no idea how things work under the hood, further cultivating the ridiculous idea that "IDEs are required for programming".

>There isn't room at the top for two powerful command line editors.
Emacs isn't a command line editor, you retarded faggot.

Vim > Emacs > Sublime > Notepad++ > Visual Studio Code > Atom

>VSCode
>Windows
It's literally made for OSX and GNU/Lunix

I hope you get paid enough to shill your piece of shit fisher price botnet shamelessly like this

It's bretty gud :DDDDDD

Atom and Nano are my go to

If you start learning C, you only need a plain text editor and a compiler.

Using your Terminal, the command

gcc /path/to/myfile.c -o /path/to/myprog

Will create an executable binary file "myprog" from the C source file "myfile.c" at the specified path, on all Linux machines. You can execute your program by typing into a Terminal:

./path/to/myprog

Example if you have myfile.c in the current working directory:

$ gcc myfile.c -o myprog
$ ./myprog

Go grab a C book and get started. Have fun!

Gedit
And sometimes nano.

Vim is my text editor, Linux is my IDE.

Unix definitely is an IDE and was developed to be one. All the tools together with shell scripting make a real IDE.

I'm trying out textadept at the moment. I like it, good codebase, lua, sane editor design, ncurses/gui