/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check the manuals:

$ man
$ info
$ help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

Check out the based Arch Wiki: (Most troubleshoots and informations are good enough for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Get freedom respecting computers:
gnu.org/links/companies.html

Become a wizard: grymoire.com/Unix/index.html

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

webupd8.org/2013/04/improve-power-usage-battery-life-in.html
fglt.nl/
youtu.be/a6j27OYGVQo
harmful.cat-v.org/software/GNU/GRUB/
youtube.com/watch?v=IWINtUCshxY
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
youtube.com/watch?v=LGpH_aYBvqY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Honestly this pasta sucks

Anyone know a good site explaining the difference between different package managers (like how they resolve dependencies, what they use as a local database etc) and the differences in package formats like deb vs rpm?

We have a fairly complicated deploy process at work and I'd like to figure out how complicated it is to just create debs.

Does a lightweight distro like Lubuntu really make that much of a difference on a modern notebook?
I've been wondering if using something arch or straight ubuntu will have any significant impact on the battery life of it per daily use. Or is lubuntu made with very outdated machines in mind?

the lightweight it is, the less resources it consumes

try this tool webupd8.org/2013/04/improve-power-usage-battery-life-in.html

Can you run the same Ubuntu installation for years at a time, upgrading from major release to major release, without issue? Or should one always clean install when e.g. moving from 16.04 to 17.04?

Amateur driver developer here, looking for a project

Do you know any USB devices that don't have Linux drivers yet?

Hello Sup Forums. I am looking for a completely botnet-free, open-source and secure distro that is able to be installed on a hard disk. This means that Tails is out of the question. It should be easy to use as well. I do not want to spend hours configuring a system.

Thanks in advance.

Subgraph OS

I posted this in a /sqg/ but maybe this is the better thread. Sorry if it is not.

Any Sup Forumsents that use or have used the Bunsen Labs distro?
I want try it out some, but don't want to move over all together just yet. I want to make a small partition to play around with it first. I'm wondering how small I can get away with. The sight says a minimum of 10gb but I'm thinking of going 20gb. Wondering if that will give me enough wiggle room or not.
I know it's lightweight but I just want to be safe.

Use a vm.
you can extend your virtual storage space on demand

While I'm pretty sure my desktop could handle a VM well enough, the lag from them I do not like. I would rather just install it on a disk.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

How secure is it considering it is still in alpha stage?

I have a non-LVM EXT3 partition that I need to resize from 1TB to 4TB (no one can give me a good reason why they believed it was a good idea to only give this drive a 1TB partition instead of allocating the whole 4TB). The machine is running CentOS7. I can do it in parted, but once I extend it with resizepart will I need to do any formatting? I ask because there's a shitton of data on that thing and I really don't feel like having to move that shit over to the NAS and back.

Can someone explain to me (without memes) why Arch Linux is so popular on Sup Forums?

Arch is simple and relatively lightweight (even though you can bootstrap Ubuntu or Debian to be just as lightweight)

People seem to like the AUR, user-contributed packages

I personally don't like Arch and I think the reasons why people install Arch are retarded (it's not lightweight, it doesn't teach you about Linux and it isn't the only distro which comes naked and allows you to install your system the way you want).

tl;dr Arch is a meme, Sup Forums loves memes.

You should be able to grow the partition without moving shit around.

Arch is popular here for the same reasons as Gentoo

>from last thread
what is the correct way to correlate device ids and kernel modules?

because gentoo is too hard
but arch doesn't have an installer so it's still cooler than noobuntu

Arch is the best

AUR

>git clone; make - aka the "amazing arch user repo"

I'm using i3wm. How do I change the i3bar size?

I already have Ubuntu installed but my inner Sup Forums is calling for me to take the Arch plunge.

Can I skip the part where I install GRUB since I have it installed already? I just need to rebuild the table thingy?

Doesn't work, you gotta manually hunt down dependency and solve the fucking dep chain

I'm sure there's a better way, but one way I know of it to just adjust the font size. (You can copy the font setting in the i3 config inside the bar{} definition and just change the font size for the bar only)

Arch is primarily made for hardcore hackers and serious programming and top-notch server stuff

Why isn't there a libmpv backend for kodi? There were some whispers a while back but it seems like it went nowhere.

i wish this'd happen
i used to use kodi/xbmc all the time, mainly because it keeps track of what i've seen
but mpv has too many nice features that simply make it a better player

maybe i should just write a script for mpv to track what i've seen

you can do an offline resize without losing data with ext*
you can either use gparted, which will resize both the partition and the filesystem in one shot, or use parted to resize the partition, followed by resize2fs to resize the partition
make sure it's unmounted before doing either

>fglt.nl/
>or as I've recently taken to calling it, /fg+lt/.
kek

>hear good things about opensuse tumbleweed
>download the netinstall
>boot it up
>takes quite a while to load up
>installer is pretty good
>finally begins downloading packages and installing them
>over 1700 packages
>Time 55:52
That's the point where I powered off my Thinkpad and crossed off opensuse in my head

Tom Araya uses Gentoo.

youtu.be/a6j27OYGVQo

Fuck he got old.

guys I'm compiling the kernel and lots of white text is flashing past on a black screen can I tell people I'm a hacker?

Press Ctrl+c, that'll stop the hack

t. Gentoo men

if you want the same install for years try a rolling release distro.

>Arch is primarily made for hardcore hackers and serious programming and top-notch server stuff

fat neckbeard basement dweller spotted

How can I enable ccache for dkms?

you can literally select what packages to install at install time, if you don't it will perform a comprehensive install of kde software so that's why it was so heavy.

I think that if anything becomes popular in today's Sup Forums, is because of memes.

Now, if you ask why is arch popular in general, I think a big part is the AUR, and that the installation process looks like a challenge to someone who has only used ubuntu or some derivative (a lot of users haven't even tried a fraking netinstall)

battlestar galactica sucked mate

t. someone who couldn't install arch

I never watched it so I wouldn't know

What the the hell is in grub that takes so long to compile I thought it was a tiny program to start the computer

time to post on the mpv threads to make this happen

lmao, it's basically a mini OS and supports load of old crap

Here, have some memes: harmful.cat-v.org/software/GNU/GRUB/

The mpv devs have already done all they can, it's really up to the kodi devs to implement it.

Why does my okular not open .cbz files anymore?

The calibre e-book viewer sucks.

do you check cbz opens with okular by default?

So fstab isn't even needed anymore it seems. Installed Arch on my Thinkpad and forgot to genfstab. Using EFISTUB and two partitions for /boot and / it boots up just fine. I did pass root=/dev/sda2 to the kernel.

Should I even bother creating fstab?

It should, I have all optional dependencies installed and it used to work months ago.

When I try to downgrade it it seems there has been a replacement package from kdegraphics-okular to only okular in the arch repos.
Pretty sure it worked with that one.

it's generally a good idea, especially if you want to set certain mount options.
Also, are you sure that your boot partition is mounted at /root/?
If not the next time you update the bootloader or kernel you will have issues.

>kdegraphics-okular to only okular
arch?

>Also, are you sure that your boot partition is mounted at /root/?
sorry I meant /boot/ not /root/

Ah right, I'll create it just for convenience (mounting it for kernel updates) and maybe systemd might expect it for some things still. My sda1 is /boot and sda2 is root.

Yeah, as I said right next to what you quoted.

Nevermind though, I'm using comicseer now which seems to be better

lol sorry, I'm blind. Anyway read the optional deps, you have to install ebook-tools.

>lol sorry, I'm blind
yes you seem to be, get some sleep

>I have all optional dependencies installed

You should check out i3blocks.

Why are systemd fanboys such a religious fanatics?

All they do is harass people for using a different init.

Hello anons,
I would like to install some torrent client(cli) which is able to run in background and if i want to add magnet all i need to do is:
torrentclient magnet:link

I checked and i think rtorrent cant run in backgroun, so what is your suggestion?

>pls no deluge

transmission-daemon

you can add anything by using
transmission-remote -a link(orfile)

Why are anti-systemd fanboys such a religious fanatics?
All they do is harass people for using the most used init.

because anyone who uses something different to what I use should not be allowed to exist

bigot

>transmission-daemon
tnx user, ill try it

I am not participating in your flamewar, systemd fanboys.

yeah? I used your exact same argumentation

Technically speaking you are by posting about it

solved, I just prepended ccache's bin path in the make[0] settings of the dkms.conf i want to build.

Now, how do you guys manage your cache? do you set a different CACHE_DIR for every project?

you'll need it to mount /boot, otherwise grub and kernel upgrades will be written to your /, not /boot, so you'll end up booting old versions of those

If I install GNU|Linux via virtualbox, will the ram not set as my base memory not be in the final installation?

How to install arch without systemd?

hey user, i tried but it aint working that way

i tried with
transmission-cli -w "/home/folder" magnet

and shit is working
thanks

>Friendly Linux Thread

What do you mean friendly linux thread?

Friendly how? What's friendly about it? You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but friendly how, I mean friendly like It amuse you? It makes you laugh, It's here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean friendly, friendly how? How is linux friendly? You said It's friendly. How the fuck is linux friendly, what the fuck is so friendly about linux? Tell me, tell me what's friendly!

user don't forget to take your medication before posting.

youtube.com/watch?v=IWINtUCshxY

Guys, why my screen getting dark after login. Last time I install ati driver on my debian. What should I do? I can't open the recovery mode too.

i get that sometimes
when i login it goes like display is off, i just restart and everythning starts normal

You have to rely on bunch of crappy OpenRC scripts from the AUR, that are written by some nerd in his mom's basement. Good luck

Ya motherfucker! I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering prick ya. I wonder about you sometimes, user. You may fold under questioning.

I'm already restart several times and it didn't change anything.

what are you use de wm?

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

Ah, I forgot to mention. I use KDE and my current debian is Jessie.

What the fuck are you doing? You're hanging around my fuckin' neck like a vulture, like impending danger.

well user it's just that you owe me like 500 shitposts, I mean it ain't small change, you know. The jannie was afraid to bring you the tab

Guys, what is the best distro without systemD?

win7

Installiere den Eselspinguin

Essentially not worth the trouble?

being this new

I wish I was good at maths and good coder so I could get hired into US firm and move in there.
>just like Linus.

Whats wrong with RedHat?

The thrill of putting your favorite Chinese girl cartoon into your rice and comparing it with others'.

youtube.com/watch?v=LGpH_aYBvqY