I am going to be stuck using Windows 10 on my new build

I am going to be stuck using Windows 10 on my new build.

What can I do to ensure the best possible experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

getblackbird.net
youtube.com/watch?v=3yXD8BpJMsI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

dont connect to the internet

Install Mint.

Install Linux retard

Not your build anymore

What did you mean by this

getblackbird.net
disable windows 10 updates before they fuck up your start menu

cute gf

>What can I do to ensure the best possible experience?
Kamikaze

I really hope you weren't expecting actual helpful answers from /g.

That being said, during installation do not be connected to the internet, force a local account instead of making a Microsoft account, then select a "custom" (heavy emphasis on the quotes) installation and uncheck all the telemetry/auto update options. After install connect and update, use program manager then PowerShell to uninstall pretty much every extra program you can get your hands on (Cortana, Notification Center, etc.). Install and configure Classic Shell to your liking. There's plenty of writeups concerning removal of some of the forced programs in 10.

I dual-boot with 10 (work-related), and I've never been bugged with updates, notifications, reset defaults after updating, or ads. It's still not great, but it's passable.

>I really hope you weren't expecting actual helpful answers from /g.

Is Sup Forums rude??

Sup Forums is frequented by only the most level-headed and un-opinionated people on the planet. I've never seen any shitposting ever.

Get LTSB 2015

Jerk off and cry

Wow, what a fantastic board!

Why are you stuck using W10 exactly? What did you do to deserve this fate?

>What can I do to ensure the best possible experience?

-block telemetry
-disable updates (you'll have to manage them manually now, but it's WAY better than dealing with the OS implementation)
-go through every single settings page carefully (and click the advanced links) to disable everything
-remove cortana and download a 3rd party start menu
-switch DPI scaling mode to windows 8 version (if applicable)
-remove fullscreen update notice overlay (delete in sys32)
-realize windows will never be as good as XP or 7
-contemplate the poor life choices which led you to this moment
-document all your configuration steps because you'll be doing this all again next time windows upgrades.

>Install Mint.
this

I chose babbylake.

What will mint offer me that justifies switching between OS's?

it works like windows.

Okay. But I'm switching over to Windows everytime I game, which is a majority of my usage, besides shitposting.

What do I gain?

(I'm not fighting this suggestion, I'm trying trying to learn. I very much understand I may not optimally utilizing my PC habits).

You can use peerblock with the Microsoft lists added and it will prevent updates. When you want to update, click the disable button in peerblock, update Windows, and once it's all done tenable peerblock.

You gain control and peace of mind that it's your computer, not someone else's that you're just borrowing for a while.

Also Linux does sort of support games, I was surprised how many of my steam titles worked.

stop shilling for half a second everyone knows GNU/Linux will ALWAYS be shit for gaming.
Now to offer the actual answer of why Linux Mint is good, first of all it doesn't spy up your asshole like Microsoft. They even admit that it does within their license agreement. But there are many more advantages of using Mint (or any other GNU/Linux system, for that matter) that you'll WISH Windows had. Most, if not all, GNU/Linux distributions come with a package manager, which is a special software that allows you to install programs specifically intended for your distro. It's much easier than searching on the internet to look for the legit download site of a Windows program. It also means that you can update all of your programs in one place rather than using multiple update utilities or keeping track of every web site where you need to download updates from. You'll also have access to a lot of customization options that Windows simply doesn't have, and because Mint comes with a DE, you don't even need to worry about installing one, it just werks. You also get access to a lot of different programs that Windows simply can't run, like ext4fs, which, unlike NTFS, doesn't require you to defragment your hard disk every few weeks. The most powerful program that you have access to on linux systems is the termal, which absolutely blows CMD.exe out of the water. Linux is also much easier to secure and encrypt than Windows.
Other than that stuff, I use both GNU/Linux and Windows on the daily, and other than muh gaymes, GNU/Linux just werks (tm) as a desktop operating system.

Interesting.

I guess it won't hurt to tinker around and learn a thing or two. I've never done a dual boot before.

dual boot is what got me into GNU/Linux in the first place, you should check it out.
Just make sure you're careful because when you install Wangblows 10 and any other OS on the same drive it erases the MBR and you can no longer access the other OS. Data can be recovered, though.

For starters, don't install shady malware like Blackbird and shit that claim to stop telemetry. They end up blocking Windows updates and core features that make you less safe as you don't receive updates in time to patch vulnerabilities.

Use the available privacy settings and group policy to make adjustments.

Hope you don't like using Photoshop, Audition, Foobar, Exact Audio Copy, Cue Tools or a thousand other actually useful programs. Then again Linux has awful alternatives to some of them so that's nice.

>what is WINE
shill harder faggot

>not a single mention of blocking all packets from W10 to Microshit's telemetry-gathering Poonet from your router

Why wouldn't I be able to use those programs with my wangblows install?

You can't use them on Linux if you do full migration. Dual booting defeats the purpose, you might as well just use Windows then.

Can I get a quick rundown on these two?

Why did Sup Forums just start posting them all of a sudden?

this

Here's a quick rundown.

-Rothschilds bow to Bogdanoffs
-In contact with aliens
-Possess psychic-like abilities
-Control france with an iron but fair fist
-Own castles & banks globally
-Direct descendants of the ancient royal blood line
-Will bankroll the first cities on Mars (Bogdangrad will be be the first city)
-Own 99% of DNA editing research facilities on Earth
-First designer babies will in all likelihood be Bogdanoff babies
-both brothers said to have 215+ IQ, such intelligence on Earth has only existed deep in Tibetan monasteries & Area 51
-Ancient Indian scriptures tell of two angels who will descend upon Earth and will bring an era of enlightenment and unprecedented technological progress with them
-They own Nanobot R&D labs around the world
-You likely have Bogdabots inside you right now
-The Bogdanoffs are in regular communication with the Archangels Michael and Gabriel, forwarding the word of God to the Orthodox Church. Who do you think set up the meeting between the pope & the Orthodox high command (First meeting between the two organisations in over 1000 years) and arranged the Orthodox leader’s first trip to Antarctica in history literally a few days later to the Bogdanoff bunker in Wilkes land?
-They learned fluent French in under a week
-Nation states entrust their gold reserves with the twins. There’s no gold in Ft. Knox, only Ft. Bogdanoff
-The twins are about 7 decades old, from the space-time reference point of the base human currently accepted by our society
-In reality, they are timeless beings existing in all points of time and space from the big bang to the end of the universe. We don’t know their ultimate plans yet. We hope they’re benevolent beings.

Not a viable option.

>inb4 ugh, do a VM with GPU passthrough!

Autism, back to /fglt/ with you, you have your containment general

Yeah, but what's wrong with their chins?

They are power control devices to allow them to remain in human form.

But WINE has worked fine for me in the past and even for my tech-illiterate normie friends. Why would you just hand-wave it away and deem it "not viable"? It works for most softwares other than games. I have even seen some games run well on WINE. (not saying it's a good idea)

>
>Hope you don't like using Photoshop, Audition, Foobar, Exact Audio Copy, Cue Tools or a thousand other actually useful programs. Then again Linux has awful alternatives to some of them so that's nice.

All of those mentioned work flawlessly on WINE, pajeet. And yes, there are good alternatives for many programs. Blender, Ardour, Lightworks etc...

Don't do it yet.

Wait until April so you are able to defer updates for months.

>this is what wincucks have to go through to have a usable system
LMAO

same boat, work paid for my laptop and they thought giving me a 2-in-1 would be great.

laptop is decent, but I hate having to install updates every night or risk having them install during work. Already happened once and I was stuck doing nothing but browsing on my phone for 2 hours.

Install O&O shutup
Install Unchecky
Windows MSE is sufficient, you don't need another antivirus

Who is that mattress enchantress and does she have bikini pics?

Install gentoo.

EAC works flawlessly in wine
t. PTH user

Suffer with a Linux distro, or buy a Mac instead.

You can stop being a fucking retard or kill yourself.

dont connect to the internet

Wincuck

I second this.

>stuck using Windows 10
You can install 7 on KabyLake, retard.

Install Windows 8.1 or Ubuntu (If no games).

>Classic Shell
That a joke? Not only can you configure the start menu to be the same as earlier but these are the faggots that had their program delete the windows boot manager. I'm not giving those fucks the time of day.

sell new build, buy new new build on which you can have freedom

Babbylake works with 8.1
youtube.com/watch?v=3yXD8BpJMsI

Whatever linux you want. Install it.
Then you run whatever windows you want on LXC with PCI-passthrough

The iGPU might not work or require hacked drivers, but I think it will work even without drivers (For desktop use).

I've been on Manjaro + Passthrough since last year (January). I can play vidya just fine with Win7 in VM.