What's better for technology discussion Sup Forums or reddit?

What's better for technology discussion Sup Forums or reddit?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Your friends.

Twitter tbqh famlam

The Reddit. Serious discussions just get ignored here.

Both places are pseudo intellectual circle jerk forums where you shill for free for your favorite company.

.webm related

Pajeets use Sup Forums because it's anonymous, they like to use Apple MacBook, Apple iPhone. Pajeets also like to install Arch, and to programming in Haskell.

Reddit and this place are the fucking same. Same discussions, same botnet fuckery, same Linux wanking, slightly different vocabulary.

Hacker News is Sup Forums if startups

Slashdot is Sup Forums but 1997

I basically just follow people that say smart things on Twitter, works well enough.

yea

Reddit is a better site definitely. Someone who frequents reddit for tech discussion will be much better informed than someone on here.

This is a fun little site where people go when they're bored. Going here for serious, solid, advice is like going to Ben & Jerry's for a full, enriching, meal.

.webm also related.

That always reminds me of the Volcom logo.

>technology humor and fun/shitposting
Sup Forums

>discussion of specific topics where each thread revolves around specified sub-topic
reddit.

The formats reward different posting behaviors and discussions.

This is why I hate this fucking place. 10 posts in and we already are losing unique posters while 20 posts down the line this thread is gonna turn into shit flinging contest based on nothing but personal experience and post-purchase rationalization of some two autistic retards.

>they like to use Apple MacBook, Apple iPhone
hahaha... he thinks those poor curryniggers who work for pennies a day could afford expensive apple gear... ahahahah

friends and coworkers, conferences, other tiny nooks and crannies of the internet where very specific niches of people congregate

Reddit gives you more of a chance to encounter people who actually know shit about technology beyond following the latest trends and regurgitating marketing hype and discuss things with more verbosity than a nigger tweet.

Sup Forums gives you more of a chance to learn things on your own through fast casual discussion and the ability to ask stupid questions or test opinions anonymously.

They're both shit in their own ways, good in others. But fuck Reddit anyway. When they get cringy it's unbearable, when Sup Forums gets cringy I can just tell the offending parties to consider suicide and move on with my life.

Sup Forums has been sucking pretty hard if you don't want to talk about web browsers, consumer tech and who BTFO who.

really I'm here for the linux discussion and the occasional thread that actually has some technology but the signal to noise ratio is awful.

I like Sup Forums because the people here is honest when they hate wingblows, mactoddler, loonix, etc.
Also, this is the only place I could see a lot of retardations and autisms.

Reddit has a better design for consumption, but Sup Forums has a better design for posting. It has potential to be great. I like the idea and how the system works, but Reddit has far superior quality. What I mean is you can go to Reddit right now and go to LifeProTips. Not only is that useful in general, but you can then sort by top of all time and (in theory) get the very best of that "board" on top of being able to go to the comments and see even more added to the original tip. You can see why Sup Forums can never compete with this.

Sup Forums, however, is better for posting. Especially quick questions. Although this place, and I mean it geniunely, is full of autistic NEETs who think ironic shitposting is not shitposting, I like it more than Reddit. Reddit seems too numale and liberal to me. Too fake. While this place is too edgy at times, to the point where it's just cringey now, it's still a better system.

To answer your question. I don't know. I wouldn't say Reddit is great for dicussion. It's not really designed to do back and forth. It's more of you saying a statement and then people voting it up. Should produce more quality posts than anything but not good for going back and forth with someone. On here you can do that and it's designed for it.

But then you have to ask yourself what kind of quality of discussion you get. When you factor that in, Reddit is much better. I rarely post on here because it's just pointless. But I do like the threads although the novelty is slowly going away.

Honestly, they're both fine.

>ALERT
>META DISCUSSION OF INTERNET INFORMATION INTER-EXCHANGE VIA INTERNET MESSAGE BOARDS ON INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD
>INITIATE SHITPOSTING PROTOCOL

install gentoo m$ btfo notbetbotnet

>serious discussion in an anonymous imageboard
>greentexting serious discussion in an anonymous imageboard
>taking imageboards seriously at all
>taking the FUCKING INTERNET seriously at all
just leave your basement and find a group in a nearby university. i am sure you will find someone there to talk about stuff besides political crap, presenting you half naked girls and all that. be disappointed in the process.

the kind of people you are looking for left this place a long time ago. maybe they come back but they come seeking entertainment through images.

>the people here is honest
I don't know why people think this way.
While most posts may ultimately reflect the position of those who made them, it's very rewarding to exaggerate those positions or load them with outrageous bullshit claims in order to get more attention.
It's also very easy to lie here in general, just write a long enough wall of text that seems semi-plausible and stick with it, even if you get called out it's going to be drowned out and easily ignored.

If half of the shitters on this board hated brands they don't like in real life as much as they do on the internet society would probably collapse. Then again, Sup Forums is probably stereotypically friendless and virginal for a reason.

right in the benis

i nostalgiaed so fucking hard. thank you, user

This. Twitter is currently the fountainhead of internet culture. Sup Forums thinks Sup Forums makes all the new memes but it's all stolen from twitter.

>Sup Forums
>good

This place is a fucking cesspool of contrarians, mentally deranged weirdos, faggots and autistic neets. Let's be fucking honest people who regularly shitpost on Sup Forums are here because they wouldn't fit in any other form of forum and attempts to do so usually would end up in getting perma banned from such forum. People in here are physically triggered when somebody disagrees with them, let alone proves them wrong. It's an endless shit flinging and while this format should allow people to have opened interesting discussions the lack of moderation simply means that it's easier to call somebody a fag and spew retarded nonsense while calling everyone else a shill than to form well thought sentences that try to objective - especially since they're frowned upon and after facing a "tl;dr" or "kys fag" type of response for 9999 times I kinda gave up.

it's funny I'm having real trouble with this. as computing became mainstream all the computer groups evaporated. I'm in a city of several million people and it's a 2 hour transit ride to get downtown to the one LUG once a month.

It's like suddenly everybody "knows computers" and is disinterested or something. Maybe it's just a day job for most but I'm hung up on compsci, scifi and electronics.

>you can go to Reddit right now and go to LifeProTips. Not only is that useful in general

LPT is the single worst subreddit of all time.

Why do you stupid fucking redditors come to Sup Forums and talk about reddit?
Fucking kill yourself.

Please be civil.

Really? Then why are you here?

He died before I could learn from him senpai. I was a year to late. Hook em. Also Checked

has Sup Forums ever tried a halfway solution between tripfag Sup Forums + /r/eddit and full user.

like per thread trips so you can tell who you're talking to for the duration of the topic?

because i hate myself and wish i was dead

IRC or slack channels related to your interests.

a few boards do that and it did not help anything at all except to add shitposting when people try to samefag

I miss the old slashdot.

that or I'm happy, married, employed and well adjusted and chans are just my carefully compartmentalized BDSM sex dungeon of the mind.

>seeing things for the way they are must make you a redditor
If you're so obsessed with fitting in that you worship everything about it like a mindless impressionable toddler then maybe it's you who needs to go back.

Newfag tip 1: Sup Forums has, is and will always be shit.

There's nothing wrong with this, it's part of why it's a fun place to be.

Take the heat or fuck off.

You mean poster IDs?

Eat shit, I really wish you people weren't here.
If you are here I shouldn't even notice that you are from reddit. But I do.
You faggots keep posting links to reddit, keep posting photos with imgur filenames, misusing shitty memes and in general being newfags who don't fit in.
There have been tons of you fucking idiots who say stuff like you don't give a shit about post quality here "because it's not reddit lolol no rating system"

straight from the Go Slashdot?

I've been hanging around Sup Forums for that last election and you've got this wrong. It's Sup Forums and they do invade twitter with all that fresh oc they shat. Trump simply brought less autistic version of shitposters that aren't afraid of using facebook/twitter/reddit to redpill others. Normies or not they actually made Sup Forums more bearable, most stormfags fucked off cause of them. Don't know if you watched Murdoch Murdoch before, outside of touching interesting social aspects of Western degeneracy it's a nice parody of current Sup Forums's user base.

>Murdoch-chan being the 1488 gas kikes race war stormfag
>Dr Murdoch being a moderate racist that doesn't discard scientifically proven racial differences while respecting survival of the fittest
>Murdoch Murdoch being a beta numale that became right-wing for dank memes.

Don't get me wrong I never implied I'm somehow better. I personally qualify to this triggered by circle jerk type of anons that had been banned from countless forums and vidya servers because I try to collapse food chain structure of every single circle jerk on Internet while being toxic af while at it.

yeah but per thread

Not really, but I had an id in the low 6 digits. Still, those where my tech-formative years, I got into this shit thanks to slashdot, in great part.

phoronix is filling the gaps for me but it doesn't have the BOFH cred slashdot did

this tbqh famalam im just here to shitpost and start arguments between lincux and wintards

Sup Forums itself was colonized by /r/The_Donald and Breitbart during the election. It's more that these four communities fed into each other in a (not so) virtuous cycle.

t. was there to witness the disgusting levels of newfaggotry throughout the campaign, with hundreds upon hundreds of anons not even knowing how to greentext

>Let's be fucking honest people who regularly shitpost on Sup Forums are here because they wouldn't fit in any other form of forum and attempts to do so usually would end up in getting perma banned from such forum.
part of why I frequent here
every time I try to get back into a non-anonymous community it's either
>lurk for a day or two
>someone acts slightly out of line or makes a minor but otherwise benign infraction
>gets banhammered, avatar/signature vandalized by mods and maybe added to some big red BANNED group under their name
>community collectively sucks mod cock for the rest of the thread
or
>someone doesn't jerk off OP or whatever the current topic is
>get lashed out at by the rest of the community that's clearly a circlejerk
>if arguments ensue they go through each others' post histories and air out irrelevant dirty laundry
it's really the idea of getting held accountable for opinions or posts I don't even necessarily agree with anymore in unrelated discussions that scares me the most, I also don't suck moderator cock and usually end up clashing with them one way or another because I don't take the internet seriously at all

>really I'm here for the linux discussion
really? which one? the one where windows faggots demand you spoonfeed them a distro to use, or the one with the archfags who upload endless screenshots of a fucking terminal on a desktop?

This. Sup Forums is just reddit with greentext now.

probably the ones in which they answer the same simple tech support questions over and over again and whine about other platforms they don't like because they don't provide them the customization crutches they need to feel genuinely useful

Yes I'm pretty much the same and I elaborated it a bit in this post.
I get triggered by people who get triggered by different opinions (Which makes me as bad as them I guess) while absolutely hating any form of moderation or accountability for opinions. Sadly that's literally 95% of forums outside of chans.

phoronix is too narrow in scope for me. TYou can't even find general CS or programming discussion there. Or hardware, unless it's linux-related. Slashdot somehow hit a sweetspot, even thought they went too broad later.

the /fglt/s that got me a working gentoo install memes be damned, and taught me a thing or two

>there's always more assholes in here than I expect but there's always more helpful nice people in here than I expect

when in reality, all they are customizing is autistically tiling their 24kb window manager for hours so they can upload yet another screenshot, like anyone cares.

it just always seems that every time I try I end up fucking up somehow or I just feel too newfaggish, even if it's ultimately just small mistakes everyone makes it really discourages me from trying again when I can just wait on Sup Forums for whatever subject I want to talk about to eventually appear and blog there

IRC has nothing but mental fuck ups. I don't recommend.

Kill yourself.

i did find an slightly autistic anime wallpaper for my gentoo install with just enough pedobear cred for Sup Forums and just enough /ani/ for wife approval

whenever i join a channel on Rizon, i can't tell if they are actual people or chatbots just playing off each other. it's that inane. go in pound 8 chan sometime and tell me if they ever say a single thing of substance

Of course it does. Who else would be stuck to 20 years old technology but a bunch of crazies that probably buy one Alex Jone's water filter a year to keep the jew away.

That's an interesting thought. I've used/visited this site for a few years actually, more so when I was in high school and college than now, but I suppose that's irrelevant.

I never really fit in / got it. That's probably what you're seeing. I just don't get mad at people and don't see the point in pretending to be angry. It's a little fun seeing people's reactions when you tell them to be happier or more polite.

That's actually one of the things I really like about this place as a forum. There seems to be some acceptance of both silly in-jokes and people saying what they're actually feeling. Like what you just did. People who don't follow the same norms you've become accustomed to have flooded into the site and changed what gets talked about.

I can't really relate to it, but I think I understand the feeling of loss you're describing. What was this place like in the good old days from your perspective?

I think it's just as bad as /r/atheism and /r/twoxchromosomes

In Sup Forums, the shitposter, the meme lord, the shill, and the guy who's right all have equal footing.

In Reddit, they just upvote the faggot with the most popular answer and down vote anything they don't like.

Sup Forums is for people who aren't afraid to get their feelings hurt.

IRC is dead. Even on the channels with hundreds of people you never get more than 5-10 people talking at any hour. It's just people idling and logging. Somehow they STILL manage to start drama and arguments at least once a month. If a trivia/chatbot/game gets added then the channel is doomed.

Been there months ago, its mostly roleplay and chan wars.

not but I still have my Sup Forums folder from like 2006 on. I know what it was like...

even Sup Forums has gone to shit and everybody knows Sup Forums was never good.

>In Reddit, they just upvote the faggot with the most popular answer and down vote anything they don't like.

As long as he posts right after the thread is posted. You can have the most agreeable, funny and insightful comment, but if you are not lurking 24/7 you won't get the timing right.

This. My buddy mines crypto, likes to throw frankenrigs up out of parts he has lying around and he also knows a lot more about mobile. I'm the one who programs better, has way more experience with networking, and I've got experience with enterprise gear while he has none. It's fun talking about shit because his view of tech is so different than mine.

>I'm an atheist in Eastern Europe and I was one before anyone in our town had Internet.
>I was constantly being mocked, threatened and insulted because I live in a 98% christian country and everyone knew I was an atheist cause I wasn't attending catholic lessons.
>After being bullied for it for so many years I still kept being proud and humble about it feeling that I already won cause all those hypocrites were behaving like non-Christians when they attacked me for my beliefs and non-beliefs.
>mfw years later I discovered autistic groups of "enlightened intellectuals" on Internet that were obese contrarian edgelords who had to argue with anyone about religion
>mfw those retards from A+ completely destroyed meaning of atheism and tained that word with an image of greasy fedora tipping omega cuck for the rest of Internet's existence.
>mfw nowadays I don't even admit in public that I'm atheist when asked.

Fuck atheism communities.

>the period of innovation is over
>all expression within the medium has become codified

dat sink

Who the fuck asks if someone is an atheist? Nobody ever asks me if I'm an atheist. Nobody cares.

I don't really miss old Sup Forums ... at all. But I think that's mostly because I hate who I used to be.

i accidently clicked on /asp/ banner

>pro wrestling??
>all conversations are topical and friendly
>polite disagreement with minimal name calling
>minimual shitposts
>alt-tab back to Sup Forums
>tfw

People in here like to have discussion about religion, especially in light of recent events with millions of Muslims flooding Europe it's a very hot topic. You are simply coming from some cucked Western country where your media, parents and teachers taught you that it is impolite to ask for one's country of origin, beliefs or political affiliation. It's literally the opposite in here, you look different, sound different or behave differently then you better get ready to be asked questions.

Niche boards are niche. The bigger the board, the worse shitposting gets.

Ironically enough this is probably most civilized and polite thread on this board right now.

Welcome to the Eastern Europe. Everyone hates everything here.

maybe that's the problem - that everybody "knows computers" rather than STEM and comes here.

What is the science/engineering/math equivalent of "install gentoo"?

It's something you have to get used to. Gook moot is killing Sup Forums as it is, dividing boards into smaller chunks would only make it worse, not to mention that literally every board on Sup Forums believes that they have a cancerous part of community that should have been contained.

Reddit pros:
-Comment moderation
-On topic discussions
-Previous discussions are easily available, searchable, and even ranked
-Discussions can last for days, or even weeks
-Private discussions are possible

Reddit cons:
-Highest voted comments are top, therefore highest voted comment gets the most replies, therefore it sets the tone of the discussion
-You start only making comments that get upvoted, herd mentality ensues
-Lowest common denominator topics and issues are usually the basis for discussion

Sup Forums pros:
-Genuine no-holds-barred feedback, no fakes, no herd mentality
-All comments treated equally
-Your previous comments in previous threads are not used against you
-No taboos, all topics are available to discuss
-Stupid people get called stupid

Sup Forums cons:
-On boards without per-thread ID, shilling is possible (GNU/moot, please, for the love of all that is holy, why do you treat us less than Sup Forums?)
-Little to no moderation
-Discussion can get derailed immediately (I enjoy well done steak)
-Oceans of stupidity to wade through before you read actual discussion

This. You numale reddit cucks need to just fuck off back there and never come back here again

since we're being all reasonable and shit l may give it a try

Rotational Velocidensity still kills me.

zzzzzz for me

dat reddit en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

>no fakes, no herd mentality

Come on we both know that's bullshit. Literally every consumerist post on Sup Forums is exaggerated to make competition's side look worse while your side "just werks".

Herd mentality is still a thing from board to board, AMD posters are the finest example of this. While you can't downvote people calling everyone who disagrees with you a faggot or shill without being held responsible for it sure as fuck discourages any sort of conversation.

>shilling is possible

Define shilling, Sup Forums has way too much Sup Forums tier paranoia as it is, do people honestly believe that somebody is getting paid to make those shitposting threads? I always assumed it's just painfully obvious autism of somebody who feels insecure about his purchases.

Sorry user, for my entire life I've been using budget headphones while listening to shitty botched music that got ass raped by Youtube's terrible transcoding.

fucking kill yourself you faggot piece of shit

What's better for reddit meta-discussion Sup Forums or reddit?

>Literally every consumerist post on Sup Forums is exaggerated to make competition's side look worse while your side "just werks".
There is no denying that there are "AMD camps" and "nVidia camps" etc on Sup Forums. But no matter where your preferences lie, you can join any discussion, and share your viewpoint, and your opinion will be treated EXACTLY like EVERY other post in the thread. No one here is afraid to let anyone know that their favourite OS is [OS], and that they think that every other OS is vermin vomit. On reddit, you can do that once or twice and get downvoted to subzero, and then you stop posting your genuine opinion and just go with the flow.

>Define shilling
I will give an example:

>Hi everyone! I am one of you! Today, I bought a Samsung OnePlus!
>Hi! I am not OP! Congratulations on your purchase of the Samsung OnePlus, OP! I really admire your decision to buy the Samsung OnePlus!
>Thanks! Are you considering buying the Samsung OnePlus too? You will be so smart if you do!
>Oh, I was thinking of buying the Xperia Moto 5, but after reading your post, OP, I think I will buy the Samsung OnePlus!
>Wow! What a nice choice! You are so smart for choosing the Samsung OnePlus!
>Thanks! It is so sexy, that Samsung OnePlus!
>Yes! The Samsung OnePlus! Buy it today!

The "unique posters" number below helps a bit, but as long a few people post in between, it ceases to matter.

Thank you. It's nice to get some appreciation around here.

I know what shilling means, what I disagree on is the idea of getting paid for it, it's the stupidest, most tiresome goalpost on Sup Forums. In my opinion all of those threads are either a) created as a falseflag to make the other side look bad or to mock them or b) post-purchase rationalization. The idea of being invaded by a bunch of incapable marketers gives me a chuckle but I'm worried that too many people honestly believe it.

>I'm worried that too many people honestly believe it.
I have seen enough evidence to believe it.

Does anyone actually legitimately, 'I swear to god', believe that free software actually equals communism on Sup Forums?

Or is it just usual trolling?

this is correct, unfortunately most gtards will never figure this out because its the only form of interaction they are capable of

DELET THIS

You missed someone trying to throw the thread of discussion with a stupid frog post and green text going reeeee

The problem is before Sup Forums was mainstream, like 2006-2009 era, there was shitposting and serious healthy discussion on any number of threads, it balanced eachother out. Now that Sup Forums is now more "mainstream" because of shit like gamergate, Sup Forums started to cater more to mainstream tastes, less focus on anime and more focus on general stuff like politics, real world news, and hobbies. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Unfortunately due to the popularity now the balance of shitposting and serious discussion is way tilted in the shitposting direction, and with one board with heavy shitposting tends to create paranoia and bring it to other boards, whether intentional or not.

Nope, just plain old trolling done by Sup Forums since the 2000s. I know someone that literally believes that GNU is a parasite though.