/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid Questions Thread is dead. Long live Stupid Questions Thread edition.

Previous; Why am I seeing material design in firefox? I thought this was a chome only thing, and google searches are suggesting the same.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_Design
nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/114486/en-uk
rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html
tomshardware.co.uk/best-ssds,review-33589.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236722&cm_re=ASUS_MG248Q-_-24-236-722-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824022485&cm_re=Samsung_C24FG70-_-24-022-485-_-Product
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's a material design?

How do I setup a vpn for just Teamspeak? I've had to connect to a server that I frequent with my phone for a good while because my ISP seems to be blocking it.

Some new UI thing the botnet is pushing out it seems. Among other things, they are now placing search results in individual rectangles, because apparently normies find it hard to tell where one result ends and another begins. Just an outrageous waste of screen real estate IMO.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_Design

Chrome used to have a flag to disable it but it's forced as of version 55. Best as I can tell no other browsers should be rendering it though.

What is the difference between a VPN and a Proxy?

I don't care if it is /sqt/, if it didn't occur to you to google something this fucking basic, you don't belong here.

What's better for a Chromebook, an ARM based one or an Intel based one? I'm trying to decide between the samsung Chromebook plus (ARM) or pro (Intel core m3).

What's a good temperature monitor that doesn't spin up my hard drives?

In c++11/14

Can I safely swap all const values to constexpr?
Will the compiler throw me an error everytime when the value cannot be known at compile time?

>Why am I seeing material design in firefox?
I'm not, seems like you are the chosen one. Enjoy!

Anything I can do to fix bad sectors on a hdd?

Nexus 7 (2013) stopped getting security updates from Google a few months ago. Where should I look to now to keep my device updated?

not /gee/ related, but ...
why do games look better when you play them in higher resolution? beside them being sharper, why do they look better? it doesn't change the size of textures or quality of the models, they're literally the same as if you were playing in 640x480.
yet, they do seem to look more high res.

1/10
almost baited

I want to browse Sup Forums on my tablet but what i really want is to expand all images on a thread with it. You can't put addons on Chrome, Firefox addons are limited as well.

any suggestions? thanks

Try to find a custom ROM that supports your Nexus 7, that is actively maintained. Look at Lineage OS, Paranoid Android, AOSP.

Noope.
Or maybe lab-tier data recovery techs can do it for a several thousand dollar price, but you should probably just look at backing up your data if its bad.

What's better, using a 1.5A power adapter on a product that came with a 3.0A power adapter, or using a 3.0A power adapter on a product that came with a 1.5A power adapter?

Clover (removed from Play store, but still in Fdroid) can do a gallery mode type thing, where you swipe between images. This covers up the text though.

Pulling 3.0A from a 1.5A power adapter = dead adapter.
Pulling 1.5A from a 3.0A power adapter = fine.

Pulling 3.0A from 3.0A power adapter but using shitty thin cables = house fire and death.

Okay. I thought using 3.0A adapter on a 1.5A device might burn it our or something. Thanks.
Pretty sure they're safe adapters though. Got them through a reputable brand in the EU.

How do Germans download torrents?
I hear that it is illegal for them to use torrents

why does this image make me laugh?

Does Intel [R] Graphics (no thousands, just the name) have OpenGL drivers for Windows 7?

Good program to burn music on cds with?

*Intel [R] HD Graphics (no thousands)

PowerISO has always been pretty good. I'm sure you can find a torrent for the full thing.

does anyone here had a Nexus 5X bootloop on them? How common is it really?

Is it safe to run a 144 Hz monitor constantly at 144 Hz? Especially when you enable strobing to get 1 ms out of the normal 8 ms?

I had an old Samsung monitor that I used the 'fastest' option + 60 Hz refresh constantly even on the desktop browsing the web, then after a few years the monitor started going to shit until I lowered the refresh rate to 50 Hz and turning the speed option to 'normal', and now everything is slow and blurry when moving.

Does this happen on gaming monitors too? Are you supposed to play at 144 Hz + strobing/anti-ghosting option on during the game and then when you quit, you have to set it back to 60 Hz and turn the strobing off so that you don't overwork the monitor?

Really sucks, and now I'm scared to buy a new monitor since maybe they don't really work as advertised. Like maybe all gaming monitors @ 144 Hz are actually only 60 Hz monitors that have been overclocked and tested, but then they run hotter with shorter lifespans. I don't want to buy a new $200-$300 monitor and only get like 3 or 4 years of advertised speed, then it goes to shit and now I'm back to being a blind slow pleb again. I thought these things were supposed to last longer than your actual rig.

What's a good Virus/Malware scanner nowadays?
Been using Malwarebytes forever, but I haven't really needed much more so I haven't looked at anything else.

mbam is still the best. You dont really need anything else

fucking KYS if you suggest anything other than BurnIMG.

>ask a stupid question in the stupid question thread
>lol xDDD almost baited u fkn troll xDD
beside, I did say "BESIDE THINGS BEING SHARPER DUE TO HIGHER RES". the texture don't change they're still the same 512x512 or so, whether you're in 4k or 640x480, and yet they look better in 4k.

Need ffmpeg help.
I'm trying to hardsub/burn the subtitles to a video file.
The issues are:

1. Not all the subtiltes are showing when burning the subs, it's as if some frames are dropping.

2. The subtitles format (style, font, size) aren't the same as the one displayed as soft sub.
Any idea?

Higher DPI.

yeah, it's SQT not RQT. you answered your own question twice now, just stop posting or go ask on Yahoo Answers where you belong.

I rebooted my computer from a USB and cleaned out all my drives while I did it, and now all my graphics drivers are gone. Which ones do I need to redownload? I have a gtx 1060.

I'm looking for a program that acts as a virtual keyboard, but can accept programmed inputs
like a script of keys to be pressed, and when to press them

does such a program exist?

if not, is it possible with something like an arduino?

the latest version

nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/114486/en-uk
Is this the only one I need? Pretty sure there were 3 or 4 programs installed in my old OS.

Not him, but because even though though the textures are 512, you're still viewing those textures through a smaller 2D window, which means the detail gets lost to the pixels at a distance. The textures, along with the entire scene gets smashed down to fit your smaller res, so the pixels have to share space. So you lose out on all the unique details since they're getting diluted.

Think of a cup of hot cocoa mix. You can see the fine grains of the sugar and cocoa because they're the full uncompressed set of ingredients. Now imagine adding water and stirring the powder. Now everything gets mixed together and you can no longer see the fine grains because they got diluted with the water, so all you get now is solid brown color.

Lower res dilutes the overall image compared to uncompressed textures in an uncompressed (native) resolution, if that makes sense.

they're all bundled in that one download

ok awesome, thanks for the (You)/s

that's a retarded analogy

That's bloatware. You don't need anything besides the actual driver.

my question makes sense. "textures are the SAME whatever the res, but they look sharper in 4k. why?"
stop being so fucking butthurt, just say you don't know.

I see. thanks user, it makes sense.

1. polygons are rendered full resolution, so their edges will be sharper at higher resolutions
2. while the textures don't change, you can see more of them in the same scenarios, for example, a 256x256 texture won't look any different viewed up close and flat-on between vga and 4k, right? but what if that texture is wrapped around a face 20 metres away from your camera? that face would barely be recognizable at all in vga, as there's few pixels at that distance to use, but in 4k, there's a lot more, so you'll see more of the texture, along with the more defined polygon shape

where do I go when I want my computer's components to be tested for faults, and actual repairs on said components instead of just spare replacement?

All right, this might sound stupid as hell

But I've only used a dual core my whole life, g3258 @4.2ghz

What does it feel like using a i5 or i7? Is it just about multi tasking? I can have more stuff open at the same time?

>stop being so fucking butthurt, just say you don't know.
stop being a fucking retard and listen to what we're saying and use your god damn brain

same principle as this image

As in, the link I posted is bloatware or the extra shit in the old OS is bloatware?

Download is 450kpbs but chrome is throttling at 20kbps, any idea why anyone?

The shit that will come bundled with the shit you download from that link you posted

>kbps
I mean KB/s in both cases.
>tfw australian

So I should uninstall everything apart from the driver from that download, or find a different one

is it ALL downloads?
try a different browser.

physx is used in some games.
nvidia experience has shadowplay if you wanna stream or make clips of your game. it also keeps drivers updated but so can windows.
the only bloat in it is the fucking nvidia audio.

niggah just select custom/advanced setup and you can CHOOSE what to install and you dont have to do any extra steps.

Install the driver, and when it gives you the choice of selecting which components to install, go the "custom" route, and deselect anything that isn't the driver itself (geforce experience shit and stuff like that)
Or don't, makes little difference

thats dependent on the site you stupid fuck.

google ux testing

oh so its just like every other dubious download on the internet trying desperately to shove its garbage into my machine
why won't they just let me keep my computer clean reeeeee

oh and 3D is bloat unless you have a 3D monitor

>3d monitor
Every monitor has to be 3d, otherwise where would the components go?

No you fucking retard, they are real things that Nvidia made and offer you, they have real uses but you dont NEED them.

Up your butt, of course.

>nvidiot detected
You realise they'll never pay you for your desperate shilling, right? Just give it up. You're as bad as an xboner.

>im a novidya shill because im explaining to him the nvidia 3d, audio and experience that comes with the driver download is not like the bundled malware and toolbars that comes with free downloaded softare
>even said he doesnt need it

Is there a youtube-dl equivalent for soundcloud?

yea, youtube-dl
rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html

xdotool

Doesn't work for me soundcloud is always adding new ways of DRM so I just get an error, I mean is there a specific program just for soundcloud?

What's the cheapest and/or best value for money 120GB ssd? Am I likely to get chinked by getting one off aliexpress?

Go to a respected hardware site and search by lower price first.
Yes you will be utterly chinked.

tomshardware.co.uk/best-ssds,review-33589.html

I went with Samsung for my SSDs. I was mainly concerned with SSDs stalling or getting stuck.

Which one?

ASUS MG248Q (144 Hz, Improved Flat TN Panel)
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236722&cm_re=ASUS_MG248Q-_-24-236-722-_-Product

Samsung C24FG70 (144 Hz, Curved Quantum Dot Display, VA panel)
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824022485&cm_re=Samsung_C24FG70-_-24-022-485-_-Product

did jews steal php and appropriate it?

>did jews still
yes
>did jews appropriate
yes

>$300 for 1080p in 2017
a few weeks ago, there was an Asus 144hz 1080p for $230ish, so I bet you can find a similar panel for sub $200

Kingdian and Adata are both reliable low-end SSDs.
With kingdian don't go below the S280.

What's a good rule-of-thumb to follow when deciding whether to store games on your ssd or hdd? I'd like to keep my ssd as clean as possible but I don't want a 2500 dollar computer loading games slowly.

Has anyone tried Intel True Key? It looks fairly nice, I'd like to be able to set it up for my parents so they (I) don't have to remember their passwords.

I store all my Steam games on HDD, even stuff liek DOTA 2. No difference whatsoever to me.

use a lot = ssd

If you have space on your SSD, put it on your SSD.
If not, don't.

Pretty simple.

You spent money on an SSD because it was fast so refusing to use it is dumb as shit.

I guess I'm pretty autistic about how clean I keep my computer normally but I hate errant files

>I'd like to keep my ssd as clean as possible
that defeats the whole purpose of buying SSDs....

in a circuit-switched network, does the host have to wait until a packet arrives at it's destination before sending another packet out?

Does the hard disk setting under power management have any effect on the longevity/health of a hard drive?

Should I set it to never turn off or leave it at the default if I want my hard drives to last longer?

yes.
never shut of if you turn your PC of when you sleep. if you keep it on you could set it to a few hours before it turns off.

Not him but don't some people buy SSD's for the lower failure rate due to lack of mechanical components?

I've thought about buying one for storing important/irreplaceable data, not for speed.

Thanks. Are there any other settings in power management I should pay attention to if I want to keep my hardware healthier?
I usually only go into the basic settings to not let my computer put itself into sleep mode, I've never actually inspected the advanced settings until recently.
I'm decent with the software side of computers but not so much the hardware.

never heard anyone do that

not really.

Is SSDs being more reliable than mechanical hard drives just a meme?

Because I don't want to pay up for a SSD if the failure rate is no worse than a normal one.

not a meme. they have no moving parts that can fail, just degradation over time of the bits that store data if you re-write a lot but for regular use they still last longer on average than a HDD.

>Is SSDs being more reliable than mechanical hard drives just a meme?
It's not a meme. It's basic fucking common sense.

I changed the icon of a few folders. But now I just want come back to a default icon, and be able to can see the typical preview that you can see (a preview about what contains that folder, like the last 4 pics add to him) but now I can't see any preview about what the hell contains that folder. Help.

Removed the CMOS battery and reinserted it and now stuck on bios screen that shows "invalid configuration information please run setup program" with nothing showing other than a blinking indicator. Pressing F2 does nothing.

I converted my hard drive from MBR to GPT with Active Partition Recovery to be able to use all 4 tb of storage space. My pc blue screened and now when it boots up it says no active partition found. How can I reverse this fuck up? I don't want to lose all my files.

try one of the other icons in the library that looks similar. also try moving a file in/out of the folder.

install gentoo

Can I use this feature but for only 1 or selected websites?

not sure, don't use soundcloud, not even really sure what the site is for

I already try that, but still without working.