Would you pay $450 for a Chromebook?

Would you pay $450 for a Chromebook?

Other urls found in this thread:

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/network-file-share-for-ch/ndjpildffkeodjdaeebdhnncfhopkajk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No I have no use for a laptop I have a desktop and a phone

Short answer: Absolutely not.

I'm actually very tempted to get the Samsung Chromebook plus. How big is the performance difference between the core m3 on other chromebooks/the pro and the ARM one in the plus? Is there more app compatibility with Android apps on the ARM based chromebooks?

nope, I would save for an actual laptop, like macbook pro

Yes, especially if it's a pixel.

I'd pay $450 for 3 (three) chromebooks

Chromebook 14
>360 euros
>Full HD IPS
>Quality build
>ChromeOS is actually very secure
>cheap laptop for linux
>No fans
>12 hours battery

Haven't found a better laptop for this money in Western Europe

Me too. The early Octane scores I have seen are around 10k for the plus. Other m3 Chromebooks have hit 20k.

Not sure about app compatibility.

Fucking give it to me! I want a non-widescreen laptoop already.

if i can install windows 7 on it.

haha

No.

t. 200$ acer 11 user

I can throw it around in my bed and use it at weird angles because it was so cheap. Bought a macbook pro and hated it and returned it because my chromebook accomplished the same thing without the need to baby it.

>dec 22

If I had shit for brains maybe

What's the hot Chromebook for 2017 currently available?

How hard is it to get the tablet feature functioning if you put a Linux distro on it? I hate Chrome OS. I use Debian on my T420 currently.

>mobile processor

no thanks, jeff

No but I'll pay $2300 for a msi gt73vr 7re

What is battery life? Not everyone needs to edit video or play games on their laptop.

I won't pay $200 for one.

In fact, I won't pay for one at all. If someone gave me one, I would consider keeping it long enough to install a few distros of linux to see if one works decently, possibly even try a *BSD or two.

If it didn't shit itself and trip over its own micropenis at that point, I'd consider keeping it for basic tasks when I didn't want to run my workstation of go websurf at a coffee shop.

The idea of paying money for one of these is baffling. Maybe $50 for a properly spec'd out one that was proven to be useful in one of the above scenarios, but I've got a list of $50 items that are higher priority already.

i have i5 4th gen mobile cpu werks fine (even runs dota 2 on med to high )

But it has apps now!

Yes but not for some touchscreen BS.

If it had less bezel and no touchscreen BS it'd be a good ultrabook Linux machine.

no

I paid 330€ for my acer chromebook 14. While I absolutely love it, it's still a bit much considering you can have a PC with far superior specs for the same price. Yes it works well and looks sexy as fuck and the screen is awesome and the battery seems to last forever, but it's still some made in china board with ductape here and there in a cool aluminium casing and soldered 32gb storage.

If chromebooks had a bit more local storage and chromeOS was a tiny bit more polyvalent, it would be worth it.

But for a cloudbook, and that's what chromebooks are designed to be, 450 goycoupons is too much.

I'd pay 450 bucks for a thicc chromebook with a battery that lasts 24 hours of continuous use.

Say something please.

Chromebook Plus only has USB-C so this is won't happen.

>>ChromeOS is actually very secure

except for all those Google backdoors

>mobile processor
>laptop
>mobile
>processor
>lap
>top

Something please

I mean I already bought a Toshiba CB2 for $290. Chromebooks are amazing value for the money hardware wise and while limited, chromeOS is fully capable of doing all the basic needs a PC needs to do. Plus for its price, what I get is amazing. Where else am I going to get a laptop with replaceable m.2(sata) based storage, nice FHD screen, and 12+ hours of battery life for $300?

Yooo this looks awesome

Nice observation, user.

Thanks, user!

Sounds nice. I actually hesitated between the toshiba chromebook 2 and the acer chromebook 14 for a while before finally choosing the latter.

>Sounds nice

Definitely is. The 13.3" screen is gorgeous. Honestly never had a laptop with such a nice screen before. Also came with a "Skullcandy tuned" chipset. For a laptop, it's very loud and clear. Even has good bass. I threw a 128 GB MicroSD card in it for good measure. There's even an application on the chrome store to be able to connect to windows based shares over the network using the native file browser in chromeOS. I bought it on a whim to be honest with the intention of just selling it if I absolutely abhorred it. Yet it slowly started to replace my T420 as my daily use device.

Between the devices I already own its not a niche that needs filling, but for $450 I am sure it makes sense for some people who don't need to game or heavy computing power, ie adults who just need to check their banking on the internet/grandma who just needs to shitpost on facebook.

especially since the new chromebooks can use android apps

I see. I'll have you know that I like my chromebook too! Here it is! Say something nice about it!

I'm sure I can find it later but wats the application?

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/network-file-share-for-ch/ndjpildffkeodjdaeebdhnncfhopkajk

Hope I don't get flagged as spam. It works fine. Sometimes has trouble reconnecting to the network share if you resume the session from sleep

At least its not an emachine.

I'd just get a 2012 MBP

How much stylus support could there be on ChromeOS?

>my mom bought one recently.
>around 300$
>gave it to me because it sucks
>checking out what could be wrong about it
>only 2GB of RAM
>windows 10 alone uses 1,2 GB of RAM
>evey time you start a application its slow and gets stuck
I just ordered 8Gb of Ram and hope it will be usable, if not I will turn into a "private" gaming server, where to run ARK or CSS.
Because I only have 5MB Upload I dont need much resources for the server.

Are you in the right thread? This thread is about Chromebooks. What does windows 10 have to do with anything? Unless you managed to get Windows 10 into a CB. If so, how?

My laptop is 13.3" also and is actually a complete computer

Its the same just with a different OS
I could install linux on it if I like to, actually I am considering to do it

Nah
I would pay out the ass for the pixel if i had enough money that spending over 1k usd on a laptop was fine

but i paid 0$ for mine

i had one of those, the cb3-111
got it for around 150$ new on amazon a couple years ago, fantastic little shitpost machine
fuckin 11 hours of battery life on 1/3 screen brightness
i would kill for something like that but on something more powerful

How is the battery life?
Is the storage capacity an issue for you?

Dude I'm considering it. I fucking hate my Thinkpad X220T.

I have this one too, it's pretty solid so far especially for the sub-$300 price. It's a nice step up from the acer I had before with a 1366x768 screen.

What do you hate about it?
What are you looking to improve?

Me too.

It's 5 lbs.

fuck no. you could buy a real laptop for that much.

Early 2013 Pixel for 350 or Acer Chromebook 14 for 285?

You could buy a shitty Windows laptop that's only good enough for web browsing anyways. Now that Chrome OS has access to the play store, chromebooks can be just as capable as cheap windows laptops in most cases. Unless you need Windows for some specific reason, I don't think a Chromebook is that bad compared to a Windows machine of the same price.

Plus, not having to pay for a Windows license means that a Chromebook can have slightly better components than a Windows laptop of the same price.

a $50 Pentium M laptop would be a better buy.

t. never used Pentium M

>360p video
>480p if youre lucky
t. someone who uses a T42 regularly
a cheap chromebook can easily handle 720p 60fps

I need 16GB ram so no

How useful would a Chromebook be to someone who still uses dialup?

stop using dial up

just ordered the 2013 pixel today. I'm fucking ready boys.
>dat build quality
>sexy

What a NEET

Fine. An Intel Atom Net w/Nvidia Ion or (preferably) Ion2 chipset would be better. Something like a Lenovo IdeaPad S12 or an HP Mini 311.

>Geforce 9400 integratedGPU
>Full 1080p H264 decode in hardware
>Ion2 is better than Ion1 for video

Anyone here played around with gallium os at all?
I'm thinking of buying an Acer c720 for $230 and slapping gallium on it which is supposedly optimized for Chromebooks.
I'm only going to use this thing for word processing and shitposting, so I don't really need much storage/powerful hardware.

if I needed
> web browser
>keyboard
>portable
>cheap

and nothing else. Sure, I suppose, but I most likely, I still need a full os, so it's highly unlikely. If I'm going to jew out on a laptop, a used

>1otrx.nvr
nice

Put GNU/Linux on it.

yeah, its pretty good. has all the drivers you need built in

I installed it on my Lenovo n22. Honestly, the n22 is such a piece of shit that it just wasn't worth using even with a more capable OS. It takes a lot longer to boot up and do most tasks for not much added functionality. But that's mostly an issue with the hardware of the n22, your experience will probably be better.

Real question here is would you pay $450 for a non touch screen tablet with a keyboard?

No, I would by a tablet instead.

what can you do easier with a tablet than with a chromebook?
Remember that the purpose of these things is mainly for schoolwork (typing up documents and internet browsing).

I have a haswell i5 tablet from Dell that has full version of Windows.

The tablet locks on to a keyboard dock that is a 2nd battery. Works great as both tablet and laptop.

Cost:$350

If it has a replaceable SSD, maybe. But I'd use it for Linux, like my Dell Chromebook 13.

What distro are you planning to use on it?

For the same size screen it will be heavier and far less sturdy. Shitposting all day every day, the tablet mode would be a needless bother.

not a clue

If it was $250 Canadian I would consider it.

Under no circumstances is a chromebook worth more than $250, any more than that you should be buying a capable windows laptop

dindu nuffins stole my lenovo
pixel pretty ok so far