Thinkpads being sturdy is a fucking meme

Thinkpads being sturdy is a fucking meme.
My third X220 broke today and I barely kneed it.

Fuck you and your stupid memes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p_jQSHQkepk&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>he still believes brands mean shit and doesn't check reviews for every specific product he intends to purchase

Well I did. All reviews claimed that the X220 is sturdy and Sup Forums memed the same bullshit.

Now I have 3 fucked X220 and a t410.

you ever stop and wonder what you're doing to a laptop in your day to day life where it needs to be replaced three times? most x220s live to a ripe old age

I bet you sat on it with your gigantic ass lel

My 7 year old x201 is holding up well, OP. I commonly pick it up by the top screen and hang it by the hinges, it just werks. Waiting for an affs mod kit to come in the mail for it.

I barely moved it. The first one was on the docking station for most of the time and the other ones were used on my bed since my chair broke.

I'm not fat, I have a body like a powerlifter.

I will never let Sup Forums troll me into buying memepads again

ok so what is your definition of "broken"? just doesn't turn on? did the ram or the drive come loose from the bump? try reseating that stuff. and make sure the drive is in a caddy and not floating loose inside the bay

>my chair broke
gonna be mum on this

Fucking how.
I've literally thrown my Lifebook across a room, knocked it off a table, and throw it in my truck almost every day.
How can you possibly fuck up a far more durable laptop?

the first one died when i carried it in my backpack - i forgot to turn it off apparently and when i checked it later, it was still on but hdd was dead.

the last one died when i had to switch the keyboards because some keys stopped working. when i booted with the new keyboard i was just staring at a blank screen. i got angry and i punched it lightly and it turnt off.

i'm not doing anything special with them, they are just bad quality and a fucking meme

oh i forgot to say that i upgraded the first one with an ssd later but weeks later the fans made weird noises and after some time it stopped booting at all.

>I have a body like a powerlifter.
HACKERS ON STEROIDS?

yeah i just figured. nothing to see here people, either bait or a human disaster who'd destroy a dogtoy if it ever got into his mouth

go fuck yourself

maybe im not good technologywise but i know what i am doing. it's not a fucking coincidence that all my thinkpads broke without me doing anything really harmful except my punch.

i dont use steroids i jsut lift

I've been using my Thinkmeme x220 for a year now. It's been running great for me, and no damage despite me lugging it around 24/7 and often carrying it from the lid or the protruding 9 cell battery.

>laptop stops working
>buys a new laptop instead of fixing it
kids these days

>carrying around a laptop with a hdd running
>I hit it and it broke

Yeah, it's the thinkpads fault for sure.

i tried fixing it but im not a tech wiz

Thinkpads...

>Poor resolution TN panels
>Large Bezels
>Poor battery life even with large 9 cell batteries
>Cheap plastic feel

The only good thing about them are the keyboard and cheap availability. Besides that they are pretty horrid. I've recently had to go to Japan a lot for business (not a weeaboo), and it's difficult over there to find a spot to charge my laptop when out and about. My T420 left me stranded several times.

replace the fucking hard drive with an SSD before you go carrying it around live.
I beat my T410 with a cane for 5 minutes straight yesterday and it still works.

I'm thinking of buying a t420 for openbsd.

Should I just get a brand new thinkpad and avoid it possibly dying? x260. With that I could install Linux and play civ 5 which would be nice...

why would you beat it with a cane? are you retarded wtf

and yes i upgraded it later - read what i wrote

dont buy a thinkpad at all they are shite

I beat it with a cane to test durability.
Don't get a new thinkpad, buy used.

I love the x260, insane battery life with power bridge so you can literally hotswap batteries on the go without shutting down your computer, but it's much more expensive and do you know if an iGPU will be able to run Civ V?

your posting betrays how you handle these sorts of situations.

>replace keyboard
>laptop doesn't boot
>i punch the laptop

did you make sure the keyboard was PROPERLY connected? did you take the main and CMOS batteries out to clear anything in the bios that might inhibit booting? did you take out the main battery to replace the keyboard to prevent shorting?

>it was still on but the hdd was dead

did you plug the hdd into another computer to see if it was alright? did you put another drive into the laptop to see if it would read it? did you scan anything at all to see if data was corrupted? did the laptop post? did you even try?

My MBP has outlasted:

1. x120e - this is junk and bought it for cheap
1. T520 - I honestly was surprised
1. T430 - luckily Lenovo was kind enough to refund me the money because it was within 21 days
Windows laptop and used the Mac Exclusively

If I was set on buying new, would a dell xps 13 kaby lake be a better choice?

If you're dead set on buying new, then a new thinkpad will still be better than a new dell.

I was just saying they don't make em like they used to.

No. Unless "muh no bezels" is super important to you.

X220 is super flimsy. Most Thinkpads are nice, sturdy and indestructable.

How are you liking your T410?

Get a T430. T420 keyboard is a meme.

>3rd
Idiot

This in terms of quality, durability and reliability:

Mac >>> Dell business >> Chinkpad business > HP business > shit laptops.

I fell for the Thinkpad meme also (X220) and fuck never again, what a piece of fucking shit.
It has shit battery life, shit touchpad, shit screen, and not even that good when it comes to build quality.
For it to be good I would have to change the battery, add more RAM, get a SSD, change the keyboard (It was a little worn) and maybe even the screen.
It's not even fucking worth it, a $120 laptop would have cost me an extra $200+ to make it at least usable.

But look how easy it is to replace all of the failing corporate surplus components :)

>actually falling for the may may
>mfw

>macshit
>quality and durability

Pick one.

>dat fucking bezel

How in the world... you must be literally like a bull in a china shop. Maybe practice co-ordination a bit? Unless it's a physical disability or something.

My X220's fallen off my bed a couple of times (drunken shitposters gonna fall asleep) and not a mark on it.

Yeah needs new battery and IPS screen (will grant you the shit touchpad). I invested the money and found it to still be the best thing you can likely buy for $320.

>i'm not doing anything special with them
Besides breaking them trying to replace the keyboard and then punching them?

lol'd thanks kid.

>not taking care of your expensive tech

What laptop should I get for gnu/linux? Under 2000$

i'd own one if

>8 hours battery life minimum (willing to use a 9 cell)
>runs macOS with good touchpad + trackpoint support

Satan trips of truth.

I have an MBP. 13", Mid 2012, i7. I stopped by Sup Forums one day and saw so much about Thinkpads, how they were the most durable, "daily drivers," and were fast enough for anything. "I do professional work in (x) program on my thinkpad every day, bro."

So I get an x230t. Shit sucks. Bad form factor. Tiny screen, not the greatest resolution and in all practicality about 4 hours of battery life from full charge. They will tell you that you can get 7, but you really can't count on it.

"You bought the wrong thing, goy! What you really need is a W530. That will be what you're looking for! So I try a W530. Holy shit, 4 hours or less of battery. The HD screen is nice enough, but doesn't show the blue spectrum very well. The 170w power adaptor for this thing is so large you may never want to move it.

"What you're really looking for is a T430 user!"

These things are cheap. They are cheap at 5 years old as most laptops are. The build quality can be felt in the way that the battery "handle" on these machines wiggles about to the point of being scary sometimes. They are just outclassed by the MBP. There is no other way to say it.

Do not fall for the Thinkpad meme.

OP, are you Captain Falcon?

Trackpads on Thinkpads are among the worst.

What do you want to do with it? general browsing, programming etc? get an x220 with 8Gb ram and an SSD for

>Claim: thinkpad are not sturdy
>Proof: ??????
>Shitpost rating: off the fucking chart

>water damage, dent
"i don't know how to take care of my shit"
>unclickable zone
force touch trackpads don't have this problem
also literally every laptop with this design has this problem

...so you're fat

That's bullshit. I've fallen down the stairs with a ThinkPad in my backpack and they all still work. Even an old Dell latitude d series can survive that. You are doing some fucked up shit to your machine.

>t. mactoddler

Tfw I've tried carrying one live to listen to music. It crashed. Was fine after

thinkpads are the best price to quality ratio you can get in a poverty tier laptop

I still have an early 2011 model that runs better than the day I bought it since I put an SSD in it. Wouldn't be exaggerating to say there isn't a single thing wrong with it, though I've had to replace the charger a couple of times. I'd never buy a new one since I hate that you can only buy them with glossy screens now but I'm more than happy keeping it until it finally dies.

OP i know what you are going through.
You probably were thinking 'I need a new laptop'
and your brain misfired and thought you meant 'I knee'd my laptop' so that's what you did

>my third

Why do people do this? A product breaks and they go and immediately buy the same one then act surprised when it happens again.

I see people post things like 'my fourth Deathadder just fell apart' or 'my third 360 got the Red Ring of Death'.

Idiots.

woo trips

Steve Jobs posting from the grave

How do you even manage to break anything?

>kept computer running fully in a bag
>punched the computer after fucking up an upgrade
>IT'S THE COMPUTER'S FAULT GUYS

>My third X220 broke today
>I barely kneed it.
>one of the others, I punched it slightly

Thanks for supporting the industry. My devices are indirectly cheaper because of your 'roid rage

how the fuck did you manage to break your x220? I've treated mine like complete shit for years and never had an issue.

>Powerlifter
>Not fat
Fuck off idiot

>falls for autistic memes

you only have yourself to blame...

this

i went from a stinkpad to a macbook pro, and the macbook is so much better in every way

couple days ago my x220 slipped out of my hand and flew across the room, i had to reconnect display connector becuase it loosened up. no bends, no cracks, and reaching connector took me one minute

x220 is built like a tank, i have no idea what are you doing with it

>2017
>still thinking an internal 'rollcage' with plastic on the outside is more durable than a metal exoskeleton

Apple used to have magnesium rollcages, in 2005 with its MacBook Pros. Its an inferior design.

except drop a macbook and you can now pay $800 for Apple to fix it when you're inevitably out of warranty

yeah but when you drop and or damage the unibody and it bends and distorts its essentially unfix-able

Applefags have somehow made Sup Forums worse, we're in eternal summer now

>t. mactoddler

I can get an x220 with 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD for around £160 A used macbook pro 13" from 2012 costs over £600. 4 times the cost is pretty fucking significant and you're making a direct comparison lol.

Also, posting from my x220, getting 9.5 hours of battery left of current use, at 70%. my 15" MBP from 2012 can't even get 4.

So my anecdotal evidence versus yours. I have both and prefer the chinkpad. Plus the argument was never a fair one considering the price.

>broke
"It" "broke."

No, no. *YOU* broke it.

If you are in Europe you're already dead to me.

Also, I understand you've made a shit purchase. I do feel bad that you have Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics. I weep for Sandy Bridge in 2017. I wept for Sandy Bridge in 2012. It is a tragic and ironic life you lead to suggest to the hopeful youth of the world such an outdated laptop.

These laptops will be going into the hands of future scientists and engineers. Designers, builders, world changers. I don't want them to have to choose between keeping brightness at 1 or living next to a wall. You have made that choice, and I don't want them to turn out like you.

Let us not forget that you are living with a 160gb SSD. Maybe you should consider changing the "living" part. The quality of computers has increased vastly, and that tiny screen and Sandy Bridge just leave too much to be desired compared to modern options.

The argument is always fair. You can buy cars for $500, or be willing to pay more to open up better options.

Nice made up situation.

>when you bend aluminum it bends
>and there's no way to bend it back
>I don't know the properties of metals

This is the average intelligence of the anti-Apple mentally handicapped sperg.

These fucking idiots buy refurb thinkpads and don't bother getting new OEM batteries

Meant to quote the other retard ((( )))

JFC get a desktop already u applefaggot

:^)

x220s break all the time. Dumb shit like being dropped from sitting height. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

thats weird, since of the thinkpads i own: x60s, t60, t61p, x201t, x201t, x200t, x220, x200t, t510, w510, t420, t400s, w500, only the t61p broke because my mom bricked it by running a videocam program while keeping the heat vent blocked with a glove

What site does your mom cam on?

in terms of customer support
Lenovo business (on-site) = Dell business (on-site) > HP business >>>>>>>>>> Mac (carry-in)
You can't get on-site warranty with macs unless you're.a company. With the other brands you just pay the additional service when buying and that's it.

>You can't get on-site warranty with macs
Period.

Needing service

>I don't know the properties of metals

It's brittle, you can't just bend it back or you induce weakness. Also how reliably can you bend a hunk of aluminium back to its original shape with a whole group of components inside?

yeah and lose your computer (and expose your data) if it ever needs service.

>My third X220 broke today and I barely kneed it.

(´・ω・)つ〔 〕〔 〕kneeing thinkpads

>having data
This is obviously not the path you want to choose.

>8 hours battery life minimum (willing to use a 9 cell)
This. I can't wait until x250s go off-lease for

Same here. The battery life on the xx20 and xx30s is just a disaster.

Have you seen the internals of most modern laptops? For starters, their batteries are one solid piece running the width of the machine.

youtube.com/watch?v=p_jQSHQkepk&t

Observe this video. The machine reaches terminal velocity pretty early but it doesn't matter, dropping this onto concrete from that height isn't doable because you can't drop shit out of a helicopter in the city.

The machine still fucking works, even the mouse, even the hinge. The display is of course fucked but it still works. Look at the engineering of this product. Because it has an all-metal unibody, intentional crumple zones can be implemented anywhere they're needed. Apple seem to be the only people smart enough to split a battery up into cells running along structural bend points. Pic related is the inside of the XPS 13 (Skylake). Notice the battery. That thing would rupture under stress and fuck the whole logic board up and probably cause a fire, whereas the MBP sustains no damage to the batteries.

This board is full of fucking know-nothing teenagers.

Why exactly goes Sup Forums love ThinkPads again? I have used;
T10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60
X230, 40, 50, 60
W530

I'm not saying they're terrible however, I don't know why they receive so much praise. They're alright.

I haven't broken my X220 but I also don't use it. The trackpad is garbage, the clit is a meme, the bezels are disgustingly huge, and the overall quality is just average unless you're comparing it to some poverty netbook. I wouldn't say they're fragile and if you've broken 3 then you're either extremely unlucky or at fault.

Calling yourself a powerlifter doesn't make it alright to weigh 200lbs.