/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 6500/7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a H110/B150/B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050Ti, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/9KPcm8
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QVq8XH
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-480-vs-AMD-RX-470/3634vs3640
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm planning on building a gaming pc with a budget of around 1000$ any tips? Also I live in Belgium.
CPU: i5-7600
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb Gigabyte G1 Gaming
RAM: Corsair 8 GB DDR4-2133
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B250M-D2V, socket 1151
HDD: WD Blue 1TB

What would be a worthy upgrade processor-wise from a 6-year-old i5 2500K?

logicalincrements.com/
scroll down and look between superb and excellent. That should be perfect for you.

Thanks!

>Get weird buzzing/whining noise from NH-U14S when the fan is maxed out
>Fan mounted in pull because of clearance
>Install the thicc spacers after doing some reading online
>Shit's gone, quieter in normal and load usage as well
>Temperatures haven't changed
woah

>he wants to buy a 1060 instead of a 480

Your mobo supports 2400MHz ram, it's usually the same price

I'm thinking of either getting an xps 13 or building a PC. I'm going to install GNU/Linux on either. Which would you do?

Depends on the usage, do you need to be mobile? XPS. Will the system just sit in some corner? PC.
This isn't a technology problem, m8, it's a problem of you making up your mind.

Everything.

But really though, depends on your situation and how much money you have. If you're a student, XPS for sure.

The XPS is anywhere between $800 to $1600, and for that kind of money you could build a good pc.

I've got a few questions. For reference I already own a GTX1080 and an ATX case.

For starters, I'd like to buy a Kaby Lake chip but I can't decide whether to get a chip worth overclocking or not. Is it worth it, really?

That being said, what are the differences in motherboard companies? Someone told me to go with Asus, but I have no frame of reference

Company isn't that important, as customer service will be universally terrible. Gigabyte is the only one that doesn't produce in mainland China, but that doesn't really matter too much. Just choose from the big three (ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI) and you're golden.

Go with something that fits your budget and has the features you want.

Did some googling for you and Asus seem to be the most reliable but the overall failure rates are only a fraction of percentage of difference and all brands are below about 2%.

Okay thanks guys. I picked that one because it doesn't have wi-fi, and can run SLI and several hard drives.

>because it doesn't have wi-fi
That's money you're going to spend later an an add-in card if you ever decide you want to have wifi. And even then, it's just going to sit there and do nothing so why fret over it?

botnet

pcpartpicker.com/list/9KPcm8

Seems the only adjustment I would like to make would be that Im looking for 4 x 4gb within the same spec/price range...

Can I get any recommendations?

The cpu cooler comes with its own thermal paste tube, the z170 mobo may need a bios update before being able to use kaby, consider getting 3000MHz ram. I guessing you really want to overclock? Because you're cheaping out on a lot of other things

>Is it worth it, really?
Quad-core Ryzen R5 will start at Core i3 prices, so you tell me

If your budget is $900 you should either get a cheaper build or stick with a better CPU/build in general and save up for a better GPU.
Your build is... not really that good. Also sound cards are obsolete, on board is enough and people who need more should get an external DAC/AMP or interface anyways.

but ryzen is 100% unproven

why would i invest in an unproven product

How effective will it be pic related? I have a 120mm fan on the side of the case with dust filters, and it sends (cold?) air to the cpu fan. Is it a bad idea?

>but ryzen is 100% unproven
Where have you been for the past three months?

How do I make sure when choosing a motherboard that it supports kabylake?

pls preorder

why would it be bad?

Because I don't know if my shitty stock heatsink can handle all that air coming.

I kek'd at this.

But if you're serious... just don't worry about it, it will work fine.

Alright, thanks mate!

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QVq8XH

not getting an i7
gonna wait and see what happens in the next few months

>anti vibration mounts stop vibrations
woah

HP Spectre > Dell XPS

It was proved to "run" blender and doom (at 4K even the dipshits)
That's not proving anything
It's proved to maybe be as good as Intel for whatever price amd decides (not some retarded shill sites speculation)

Wow, for the same price I get an i7.

But will it run Linux?

Apparently works great for Linux, except you need to do a little work to get sound out of it (apparently one or more of the XPS's has a similar problem)
That's just the two Google links I looked at, you probably care more to look into it more

I'm trying to set up an eGPU (gtx 750Ti), but my laptop doesn't recognize it. Even though when I plug in a shit GPU (gt 310) it does recognize it.

I have the Gtx 750Ti connected via a 6 pin connector to a 300W psu. the eGPU setup is then connected via expresscard slot.

All fans are spinning. I don't get why it doesn't recognize the 750 Ti.

Any help please

>expresscard
Hahahahha
You need USB 3.1 type C gen 2 thunderbolt 3 with authentic brand name GPU box grandpa

just put an i7 6700 3.4ghz in my new rig, did i fuck up?

Yes.

Maybe its PCIe 1.0 vs 2.0 kind of problem?
I'm sure expresscard doesn't actually have anywhere near as much bandwidth as a second-gen PCIe standard

fuckkkk what do? i have it paired with 16gb and a titan x

If I'm staying at 1080p, is it smarter to get an RX470 over a 480?
I want to max the most games possible, newer or not, but I can stand dropping more than a couple settings if necessary to get good framerate. Say, GTAV or racing games in general.

This is the one I had my eye on.

Live with the shame or end your life.

No because you want to max the most games possible

Looks good.

No that can't be it. I've seen multiple videos where this setup did work. PCIe 1.0 and 2.0 are 100% compatible.

I really don't understand what the problem is. I'm thinking I need a different psu.

I want to build a small form factor that's really good, I generally decided on a picopsu 160w a 2.5 inch tall case, with a gabykabylake pentium 4 thread whatever and GTX 1050 from Zotac. Aside from a PCI ribbon cable what should i be concerned about? I was thinking maybe 2.5 inch in height wouldn't support a stock cooler, thnx

C'mon user, don't be a smartass. I cleared that up in the very same sentence.

Here's my opinion, if you're buying a new GPU, why buy the inferior product when you can spend a little more and spend a lot longer continuing use with the GPU?

Agree, disagree, I don't care.

Sorry, top link's for you user

Because you can spend a little less and have money, which is infinitely more useful than what you're about to do with your PC
The 470 is a great price/performance and handles itself at 1080p. The 480 is a bit more expensive and the 460 is a big compromise for 1080p games.

I can't be bothered to put a PC together, it's been so long since I've last done it. NCIX will do it for me for 50 dollars and ship it to me. Is that worth it?

You know, there's SFF and then there's nonsensically small. Where you go so small that you take everything that's good about DIYPC building away.
>upgradability
>cooling options
>dust filtration
>cable management
>hardware compatability

Sure, but I'm talking about in the long run of things and saving your money. You're not paying for the performance you get now, but I'm going to guess pc gaming will still be a hobby of yours a few years down the line and requirements will change to higher standards making the 470 obsolete quicker so you have to spend another $200+ in a shorter amount of time instead of putting in another $60 now.

Like I said, not deciding this for you, but here's a site that might also be additional help in you deciding whatever you want to decide gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-480-vs-AMD-RX-470/3634vs3640

Evaluate your time.
Say you make $10/h, then no it's fucking not.
Say you make $25/h, probably yes.

Nah I getcha, it's just I'm tight on money and I've heard that for 1080p a 480 is overkill.

I might as well save up a bit more, sure, but if the performance I'd get goes beyond 1080/60fps it'd just go to waste. Think of it like buying a GTX1080ti to play on a 1024x768 screen. But you know, to a less extreme degree.

Not to mention, I'm paranoid it's gonna be DOA, or goes bust in a couple months. And since I'm importing because it's cheaper where I live, the warranty and all related shit could get cumbersome.

>userbenchmark
Come on don't be a developmentally disabled retard, post some benchmarks that are both the and useful, what you posted is neither. He's okay with lowering a setting or two, so that makes a 470 a perfect choice for right now
Graphics won't become demanding enough that 1080p literally becomes unplayable in the next few years, especially if he's cool with lowering a setting
The 480 is what, $50 more expensive than the 470? Even more than $50?
For an average of 8% gains?

The 480 can play 1080p 60fps usually maxed out
It doesn't do much more past that, it can't do 1440p 60fps without significantly lowering the settings

>It's proved to maybe be as good as Intel for whatever price amd decides
Some Euro retailer leaked the price of the flagship 8-cores
Priced the same as an i7-6850K, i7-6800K, and the i7-7700K for all three variants. And these are all eight-core CPUs.

On average 8% is meaningless, but in that picture you posted right there, you can see that some of the more modern games introduce up to 18% of a performance difference. Yes, you can play pretty much everything with the 470, however, is it really worth risking the possibility of having a 20% performance difference down the line user?

But is he selling them
There's been dozens of price leaks, I won't trust any of them until someone has a receipt

Is that Terrys non-autistic brother?

For $70 less I think so
The 480 can run doom at 95fps, so I'm sure 70fps won't be concerning him on his 60hz screen

I never knew how bad my onboard audio was.

went from alc892 to alc1220 (new codec for z270 boards) and its so much louder and clearer

Also got a single fan gtx 1060 from evga and I kinda regret it, it runs really hot, 80-81c pretty much all the time in games

Check on the price of the 480 right now and tell me it's $70 more

According to the leak, they'll be ready in the EU market by March 2nd. We'll know for sure by then.

>some guy online said it'll release on March second
>we'll see if he lied or not on March second, we'll know for sure by then

What sort of layout do you have? It's probably your air management.

newegg on ebay has a NZXT S340 ELITE for 120$ free shipping. Is it worth it? I wanted to go with a Fractal Design S for 100$+15$ shipping but I'll end up with a 5$ difference.

Only thing though is the S340 ELITE is no returns.

> the R7 1800X, the R7 1700X and the non-X, R7 1700 (all 8-core, 16-thread parts). According to the source, these chips will feature base clocks in the order of 4 GHz for the 1800X; 3.8 GHz for the 1700X; and 3.7 GHz for the 1700. Overall european pricing (including taxes) is set at €599.99 for the 1800X; €469.99 for the 1700X; and a "measly" €389.95 for the 1700.

>
This new leak prices the 4GHz 8-core R7 1800X at €599.99, which includes tax, with the R7 1700X being priced at €469.99 and their R7 1700 being priced at €349, which is pricing that is highly competitive with Intel's current offerings.

>First up, we have the R7 1800X which is the top model 8 core chip. Coming in at €599.99, this puts it at about $640
>Next, we have the R7 1700X which sits in the middle of the pack from previous lineup leaks. Coming in at €469.99, that puts it at about $500, sitting in between the hexacore i7 6800K and i7 6850K. Even accounting for VAT, the MSRP is probably in the $450-500 range.
>Last of all, we have the R7 1700 non-X which is an interesting chip. At a mere €389.95, that would put it at about $415 or around the same as the i7 6800K. I suspect the MSRP will be set at about $375-400 which puts it just slightly higher than the i7 7700K

>This new leak prices the 4GHz 8-core R7 1800X at €599.99, which includes tax, with the R7 1700X being priced at €469.99 and their R7 1700 being priced at €349, which is pricing that is highly competitive with Intel's current offerings. Right now Intel's 8-core 16-thread i7 6900K costs €1109 and their 4-core 8-thread i7 7700K costs €360 in the EU.

etc. etc.

nice blog

Nope, that's the man himself.

They're from several different articles, you fucking moron.

So they're blog-stealers
Is it unreasonable that someone would take unverified information as rehash it is fact on the Internet?

Nice shitpost. Kill yourself. Retard.

It falls in line with AMD's past statements about Ryzen being priced "competitively" and "premium branding". Not too expensive, but not too cheap either.

Also, KYS or I'll murder you with the foreskin of my dick, pleb.

>Lisa: it'll be a good price guys!
>blogger: it's this price
>you: SEE I TOLD YOU GUYS

Your asshole is my property as of tonight, bitchcakes. I will claim what is rightfully mine.

>I think this price is competitive so it must be true because AMD said it would be competitive

What's a good and somewhat cheap set of speakers I can get if I'm assembling a gaming PC?

i use a closed loop for my cpu with 2 intake fans at the back, 1 front intake, 1 side intake and 1 exhaust

my cpu idles at like 25c and hits 55c at load but my gpu is just hot as fuck

All of these items together cost 2000 dollars canadian.

Is it worth it? I really want full SSD.

case:corsair 400c
CPU: i5 7500
mobo: asus prime z270-a
PSU: evga g3 650
gpu: EVGA 1060 GTX 6GB
SSD: WD blue 1TB SSD 2.5"
RAM: corsair vengeance LPX 2133mhz
keyboard: corsair k70 lux cherry mx blue

I just picked what I wanted and it added up fast... 2000 is my max budget.

Does anybody have any experience using powerline adapters? Nobody I know IRL has so much as heard of them.
I need to get an ethernet connection to my room, a floor above the router and running a new wire isn't an option atm.
I understand how they supposedly work, but I have yet to talk to anyone whose used them so I want to know if the do actually perform decently.

>machine.jpg

Tell me Sup Forums, what is this piece of tech.

You get sub-Gigabit Ethernet performance depending on how old and how long the powerline you're using is. Honestly, 802.11ac is faster in the real world than powerline, the only reason why you'd still use that is if your house has wires made after the 1990s and your walls are lined with lead.

looks like a homemade CNC rig
Fuck it, I'll install a wifi card/antennae to my build

Idc lol

Make sure you buy a wireless card that's supported by your router. I can not tell you how many times I've come across people who buy $40 802.11ac mPCIe cards and complain that wifi speeds are still shit when they're connecting to an 802.11n or earlier router.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know a whole lot about networking hardware, but I'll look out for that (even wrote myself a note in my build doc)

I can buy a prebuilt gaming PC for less than I can build it for, wtf?

No you can't.

Depends on component quality and bulk deals obviously.

It is possible. A friend of mine bought a prebuilt i7-6700K + 1070 for a little more than cost of the parts, it came with Windows OEM and 3-year warranty.
You'll rarely see such deals, but sometimes the jews forget how to jew.

Yes, I picked up an i7-6700K system for a friend and he paid about $75 less than what it would cost me in parts.

Make sure you're looking at it part for part, I'm sure when you make a build you choose a consumer-level PSU and the correct motherboard

Nigger, I took apart the case because I couldn't believe it myself. He got it during the after-Christmas sale, so that might explain it

>Part for part
Without including Windows I don't believe you

Windows 10 Home included