Locks

Will there ever be a type of Lock which doesn't rely on pins?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4tc8LJiBuOc
lockpickshop.com/PXS-14.html
toool.us/laws.html
lockwiki.com/index.php/EVVA_3KS
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>what is a disk detainer

Thanks for this information.

Apparently, they are just as vulnerable as pin-tumbler locks.

>just as vulnerable

They aren't impossible to pick, but if you find me a video of someone _picking_ a modern Abloy, I'll send you a cookie.

Digital locks

Been a thing since 90s

>more attack vectors

yeah no thanks

Doubt those are more safe than having a physical key when it could be open to all sorts of attack.

I only found this:

youtube.com/watch?v=4tc8LJiBuOc

Are Abloys really that good?

I'd say most are safe. The problem is that you can never really know which ones have a unknown vulnerability. But then again, its already safer than your pin tumbler most likely, which have known vulnerability.

Both have problems.

Digital doors could be hacked
Analog doors could be bypassed with a paperclip

In Finland, if you lose a key and need to get inside your house, they don't come and pick the lock but drill it out and install a new one.

Picking an Abloy Classic is possible, but still a lot harder than almost any pin tumbler, safety pins or not. Especially if you live in America or somewhere that disk detainers aren't common, your average guy with pick sets of any magnitude won't get it open without force.

Coming from a hobbyist lockpick, Abloys are a bitch to pick. If I was a robber and I saw an Abloy on the lockface, I'd just punch in the window.

Alright, I'll check these things out.

Always better to have quality whatever the price when it comes to security.

Bill is great btw, check out his videos if you want to get into lockpicking.

Locks are for criminals that want to hide stuff.

You are all a bunch of pedos.

There are lots of pin and disc locks that aren't pick-able. Some of them there are autists on youtube that can pick them in perfect conditions after practicing on that specific lock for months. But in a practical situation that doesn't matter.

How did you learn lockpicking? Did you use lockwiki or any particular websites?

I think I want to learn it as a hobby or a way to protect myself.

I'll check out this guy's channel.

Take the locks off your house and car doors then, dumbass

He's baiting you, don't reply.

Microsoft shills have filled this board.

You act very awkward in social situations, right?

Go back to where you came from.

I started with Bill's videos. After I felt confident enough I bought a pick set from SouthOrd and bought a shitty masterlock from Ace to practice. It's been a useful skill.

Dont buy gimmick locks. Buy a good pin tumbler, its all you need. Do some research first on the brand and lock though if you are really paranoid, or live in the 3rd world like the US or mexico.

]If you're a beginner, this is a good pick set.
lockpickshop.com/PXS-14.html
Don't be fooled by the sets with 20 gorillion picks. You won't need them.

Get familiar with your state's lockpick laws.
toool.us/laws.html

After you have a good idea of lockpicking in concept, buy a cheap lock (Stick with 4 pins or less) and try to pick it. It's okay if it takes you a few hours, you're learning. Just be gentle and keep trying. And for fucks sake, don't get into any mischief.

>tfw started practicing on my apartment block cellar room locks

>the absolute madman

lock with ic card reader and servo physically rotating cylinder, and pins, using fail-secure pneumatic valves (like air brakes in trucks)

(Patent Pending)

only $199, get 2 for $349

>power goes out
>locked out of house

>doesn't have an UPS with a battery that last at least 2 weeks

Break your fucking window you fucking ruohonleikkuri

there are slider locks and also sidebar locks, some of them still have pins in some sort. you can read a little about sidebar locks here:
lockwiki.com/index.php/EVVA_3KS

I installed a transfer switch and service for a mansion using three phase 120/208 power. The backup natural gas generator housing was 20' long, 8' wide and 10' tall. Big ass UPS

What about hidden locks?

I put a diy magnetic latch on my door that I slide a magnet across as a second step. Don't see nothing at plain view.

>tfw watching lockpicking videos at 1am
I kinda wanna pick this up as a hobby now

Careful, that's a gateway hobby. Next thing you know your new hobby will be breaking into houses.

Kill yourself, you dumb fucking shit stain.

possible, but honestly I'm more likely to break into people's stuff that are guarded by locks and steal bikes or some shit

After watching hours of lock picking video on YouTube I've come to the conclusion that kryptonite makes some god tier locks. Plus they can be used to defend yourself against the homeless.

FYI /DIY/ has a lock picking general 90% of the time.

Some kind of electronic lock.

It doesn't have to be invincible, just stronger than the door it's locking. If someone can break into the keypad then they can break into the door.

>electronic lock
By law most fail safe and can be fucked to infinity and beyond with some saltwater.

>electronic lock
>saltwater
I had a ex buddy that was kind of dipshit who would take dawn bottles with a bit of seawater and soap and squirt it into snack and soda machines and collect the money and goods.

just weld the door or bike ring or what have you shut every time you need to "lock it" you fucking moron