Why are you not running the best Linux distribution?

Why are you not running the best Linux distribution?

Other urls found in this thread:

cvedetails.com/top-50-vendor-cvssscore-distribution.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

For the same reason I don't run Windows ME.

xfce's wm is a clusterfuck of screen tearing, yet compton is laggy as fuck.
if i'm going to be doing that much tinkering to get shit to work pleasantly i might as well just install arch

Because it's shit made for retards.

XFCE is a clusterfuck in general. And it looks like ass. I've tried using it on numerous occasions, I just can't do it.

Why are ALL goddamn Linux WMs fucking garbage.

That's one thing that seems to have not fucking improved since I tried Debian back in 2005, the goddamn user interface experience.

I know Apple and Microsoft pay their UX designers well, but you'd seriously think that with so many fucking years someone would have made even a half decent goddamn desktop environment for Linux.

I'm using xfce now but holy fuck is the state of Linux UX is fucking bad

Every single update i lose the ability to boot into my computer. I don't have the time to chmod into my install every 3 days.

but I am, user

Installed elementary today. Feels nice and comfy once you get used to pantheon style workflow

but i am running debian

unity is comfy

do you mean bsd or hackintosh
kys jannies

I am you fat fucking cunt

Fix your font rendering, it looks like absolute shit right now.

Just installed this a few hours ago.
>tfw yaourt

Because I'm using Antergos, which is the best one

Cinnamon sure is comfy.

>Pantheon
>Xfce
>GNOME
>MATE
>KDE
>Cinnamon
>LXDE, LXQT
>Unity
>Deepin's UI
>Enlightenment
>Budgie
>i3, Awesome, DWM, Ratpoison, Xmonad

If you can't pick one of these to rice out to satisfy your needs, then you're autistic beyond help.

I'm already running Ubuntu MATE tho?

Because I'm running the best UNIX, macOS.

For the same reason I'm not obsessed with plumbing in my house. I just installed Mint because it was the least weird from a coming-from-windows standpoint.
Made the trashcan visible on the desktop, moved the minimize-all icon to the bottom right, and have been perfectly happy with the system for 6 years.

Which is?

KDE Done Right is the absolute best

because I'm using Mint because pretty much every other distro has had annoying bugs and/or tiresome configuration while Mint jest werks with everything I throw at it

because i already am senpai, because i already am.

/thread

>see OP image
>vomit comes to mind

One of these days there will be a Linux distribution that honestly just doesn't look like a Linux distribution which looks like a Linux distribution even when it's running a desktop environment designed to not look like a Linux distribution.

At that point I'll consider Linux, until such time will you fucking idiots just stop.

;^)

Then you are doing something retarded. Stop being a retard and you wont have this problem. This being said, I don't use Manjaro. I use Arch

But I am

Zorin UI. Also
>apple has a good UI
Meme. It looks shitty and lifeless out of the box.

My parents bought a $20 computer without an OS and I installed it.
It's pretty good.

Gnome2/Mate is of the Gods.

>XFCE looks bad
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What are your specs? This happened to me once.

>judging UI based on subjective opinion of its aesthetics and not the usability or overall experience

because ubuntu lts fits all my needs and runs like a charm.

Are you trying to prove their point?

Bleeding edge, pacman, no bloat, The Arch Way

I am: Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition 18.1 'Serena'

Tell me what the best REM album is

it depends on your mood

Because MacOS is better.

that was true until about 2006

does your dad approve of the shit you look at on that computer he bought for you?

Too bad the cert is valid now.

Because i'm running a Turing machine, its OS is Gentoo.

How much memory does your Turing machine have?

Mac os was dogshit until 10.7
10.5/10.6 where barely usable
and I can't even imagine using 10.4 and below

Even half a decade ago getting fonts not to look like ass in firefox and getting tear free video required hoop jumping when I used debian.

Recently I tried GalliumOS on my chromebook and everything looks good to me out of the box (I don't really see the problem with xfce/compton).

So for me it improved massively.

How to generate quotations in terminal like that?

>Linux "distribution"

Why be a king when you can be a god?

Because I'm running slackware

LONDON

Word up son...

Don't forget to reset your time/date

i don't understand. not from London i'm in the midwestern USA. or are you saying "you don't have live in london by REM"

what do you mean

No gentoo, I am fucking disappointed Sup Forums

Green

I don't know how to install it :^)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

i can't read this without hearing it in his voice and mannerisms

Because macOS

But I am, it's called Solus.

Literally the only good distro out there, anything else is garbage tier.

Fuck off, Kevin.

Every distro is the best. You cannot find a Linux distro that is not the best.

I hope you're not upset at the fact that Solus completely and undeniably blows all other distros out of the water.

>Solus completely and undeniably blows

Running Manjaro or Antegros directly removes what makes Arch good though.

What dock?
and task bar theme

not him, but you can write a simple bash script using the echo command. Just google & copypaste the colorcodes if you want that. Same for ascii art

Because my opinion of best (actually it's Linux, a better description is "least worst") changes every other day, so I just settle on 'buntu.

That's quite a pretty Unity user. Looks comfy.

The bearded ego hath spoken

I was using Manjaro KDE and an update rendered all my software unusable. Everything would just start and close instantly.

But I do

Cinnamon on custy Deb is best

Half Life 2 is good. Installed Half Life 1 yesterday but it will never be as good as back then.

What nVidia drivers do you use

look at this clusterfuck!

how do i mek xfce prety

but Gentoo is the best

If your biggest selling point for an OS is the UI, Linux isn't for you. Go buy an iPad.

That said, I don't find the Windows UI until Win10 all that compelling. And Win10 itself is a terrible OS, so I'm good.

Apple has a very nice UI. It's gonna cost you though.

Don't like a UI? Get Gnome and mod the shit out of it to your liking.

I have honestly wondered why anyone uses Gentoo. What's the point? Just for difficulty sake?

Just go through the PITA and install arch. At least you get the AUR out of it.

Security

In what way does Gentoo provide better security than, say, a RHEL-based distro? More organizations are bug hunting in Red Hat than Gentoo (I'd assume)

Also, if your talking like basic security for web browsing and petty things, why not use Tails?

You compile everything, so all your memory address and stuff are unique.

btw, nice english, Pyotr.

How does this provide a substantial security benefit over any RHEL-based system?

REHL advises compiling from source. Every DOD or contractor has to compile their own kernel from source on every single computer.

Sounds too ethnic. Wont run Ubuntu for the same reason.

Sounds horribly pajeet, but its all europeen apparently

Manjaro is short for Kilimanjaro, the mountain that the developers of Manjaro climbed prior to development

cvedetails.com/top-50-vendor-cvssscore-distribution.php

The initial setup takes a long time but the management is easy. Install steps not very different from Arch, just need to wait on compile time. Most other distributions are the opposite with a quick install and then management is hell.

I don't mind spending a day installing all the packages for my personal desktop environment since I know I will be using the computer for a long time and will know specifically how everything is installed and configured. You simply don't get that with a 3 click install 2,000 package baseline distro.

I distro hopped for years before Gentoo because of various usability reasons. I haven't had a reason to switch to anything else since using it.

My favorite features would be how simple multilib is and how great the ability to select bleeding edge versions of specific packages for install without doing the whole system is.

GNU/Linux*

I'd really like to tell him "Nigga shut that shit up" in person.

Both African... not an association I make with advanced technology.

They need to rethink it, it's just bad marketing.

I am using the budgie variant. Love it.

program is called dhamma and i pipe it through lolcat. i simply added this to the bottom of my .bashrc:

dhamma | lolcat

Oh look! It's the time travelers again!