Why are we not running Unix on our desktops? Why use a finnish bootleg?

Why are we not running Unix on our desktops? Why use a finnish bootleg?

Other urls found in this thread:

unixpc.org/3b1/floppies/
archive.org/details/4.4_BSD_Lite_Export_Walnut_Creek_June_1994
opengroup.org/openbrand/register/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do you have the ISO?

Because Unix's lifespan is finnished

Not OP but I found this

unixpc.org/3b1/floppies/

Does BSD count? archive.org/details/4.4_BSD_Lite_Export_Walnut_Creek_June_1994

Linux isn't too bad so I use Linux

>Why are we not running Unix on our desktops?
I am. macOS is certified UNIX.

t. mactodler

I hate how UNIX certificate sells for money

well, it goes towards the upkeep of standards and pays the people who do the standards work. don't be a fucking commie. it's not bad to make money doing what you love to do.

according to Stallman, programmers should work for free and make money doing truck driving or waitressing tables.

I've wondered sometimes why someone doesn't take one of the currently still existing Unix's like HP-UX and try to reverse engineer it and make it run on normal (using the term loosely) hardware.

Some people are in the form of Mac OS X

opengroup.org/openbrand/register/

You may not like it or want to admit it, but OS X is a Unix.

It is.

It just is.

Sorry

It's UNIX but debatably not Unix

>it goes towards the upkeep of standards
And how's that working out for UNIX? It's literally a meme certificate these days.

>according to Stallman, programmers should work for free
citation or FUD.

Everything's a meme to you little shits

Fuck off

Why bother when we have BSD and Linux?

Choices

no

Hey, I created that meme!

It's not a meme, nor did you have anything to do with it,

You already have too many of those.

>Why are we not running Unix on our desktops?
Because you young fags didn't know that a complete working version of Unix cost about 5 thousand dollars. I had SCO Unix 5.0 The best any desktop fag could hope for was a incomplete trial version. Trust me about any current version of Linux is far better. With SCO you actually had top set your monitor physical specs such as frequency, etc. or you could literally blow up your monitor. Good times.

Lying is a sin.

IBM decided to be a bunch of turbo dorks and rejected Microsoft's initial Xenix license offering for their home PC lineup in the 80's.

So Microsoft instead pulled MSDOS out of their asses and now the rest is history.

> implying UNIX wouldn't be a buggy piece of shit back then too
the delusion that UNIX is supposedly bug free is only believed morons

I never lied

MS-DOS was contemporary to Xenix. Xenix was their high-end product, MS-DOS was aimed for more casual users. They planned on eventually merging them into a unified OS, but then the Xenix product line got cucked so they ended up reinventing the wheel with Windows. If it wasn't for that, some form of Unix would be the predominant desktop OS today.

The design of Unix means it is not NECESSARY for it to be bug-free.

it's still sperglord fantasy. UNIX was stable in those systems mainly because the hardware was singular. Similarly MSDOS was mainly buggy because the hardware was heterogenic.

This
If you get annoyed with Linux driver issues, imagine a world where almost every ibm compatible video card, etc. was not recognized by Unix. Usually you had to select some generic vga driver, low res. It was a joke. No one supported Unix other than high end business solutions. Unix was never a practical desktop.

yeah IBM refused because it was concerned with the stability of AT&T after the split-up in '82 and wanted nothing to do with UNIX at all.

no cgroups

PCs were never for the home

>1986
>ISO
iso9660 didn't exist before 1988

I kinda lol'd at that too, I doubt he's ever held a 5.25" floppy

>implying there is some sort of magical lock on pre-1988 software that prevents them from being archived in ISO or other modern image formats
???

Unix generally came on tape back then anyway, not shitty floppies.

It came on 5.25" disks, you gigantic faggot

Doesn't really impact what I said at all.

His point is very clear. Can you source it? Can you find it? Is it available, anywhere, for you to download and use?

e-peen

I hold a 5.25" floppy every time I take a piss.

The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

The money pays for an exhaustive suite of tests which prove that OS X is actually really Unix.

>UNIX was stable in those systems mainly because the hardware was singular.
Bullshit, Unix has been on more platforms than any other OS. The stability was because of careful design and implementation.

You should jewgle the story about the sysadmin who managed to delete everything and then rebuild it all back from tape, with just the few programs that were in core memory when the errant command was executed at his disposal.

Good shit.

I'm running OS X and BSD. I am running Unix.

Are you implying people don't have it ready to go?

>according to Stallman, programmers should work for free and make money doing truck driving
Really nigga? he supports free software, free as in freedome so programmers can sell their work if they want (and have the skills to)

This is now an "I install AT&T Unix for the PC" thread.

but he is partially right in that each individual Unix operating system was usually maintained and supported on a pretty small pool of vendor hardware

barring shit like Xenix/SCO which knock down his actual point anyway, I don't remember those being particularly terrible at all

does it actually have compilers with it so you can accomplish something too?

never bothered trying it on actual metal because I never knew what the fuck I'd run on it when the installation completed

This distro doesn't appear to have any compilers user. Sadly.

>Really nigga? he supports free software, free as in freedome so programmers can sell their work if they want (and have the skills to)
ever read a fucking GPL license? your work can be copied by anyone. you cannot make money with it. you have to sell support or some shit like that.

>usually
>pretty
hm

>your work can be copied by anyone. you cannot make money with it. you have to sell support or some shit like that.
Selling support is making money. That's how Red Hat and Canonical continue to exist.

Furthermore the vast majority of kernel devs are not amateurs anymore - they're employed for the purpose of working on Linux by some corporation for another. Those corporations make money by using free software in their infrastructure. Which saves them on license fees and gives them a better and more customizable product than a proprietary software product ever could. If you want your software to have some feature, you hire someone to implement it. You get whatever it is you need out of your OS, and everyone benefits.

Free software is like the reverse of the tragedy of the commons. Yeah, it's a pretty shit situation if you want to fuck other people over through artificial scarcity. If you don't, though, and just want something good and useful, it makes things better for everyone.

>Selling support is making money. That's how Red Hat and Canonical continue to exist.
And? What if I'm a single developer? Do you fucking know how hard it is to sell support? And I don't want to work with people. I want to work with code. I want to code shit. I don't want to fix customer's bugs and debug their shit and train their people.

Seriously, fuck Stallman and fuck GPL.

It doesn't respect your freedom.

Well if you want to make money on your own, you gotta be a salesman. You don't get to "just work with code". If you're a sole proprietor or an independent contractor, there's only one job title: Salesman. Nobody else is gonna drum up your clients for you.

So you'll be fixing customers' bugs and training their people whether you go into business for yourself, or whether you work for a corporation. Because if you don't do that, you're of no value to anyone else, and they won't pay you.

>unix

>Searching floppy disk..
>Searching hard disk...
>************************************************************************************************************************************

(((AT&T))) Unix is a botnet

gibbe money tim