No Win7 Support for Ryzen

ITS OVAR!
AMD negletec it's announcement that Ryzen will have Win7 drivers/support. They dropped one of their main arguments for Ryzen over Kaby Lake.
heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Volle-Kraft-zurueck-AMD-will-nun-doch-keine-Windows-7-Treiber-fuer-Ryzen-Prozessoren-anbieten-3620709.html
heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Volle-Kraft-zurueck-AMD-will-nun-doch-keine-Windows-7-Treiber-fuer-Ryzen-Prozessoren-anbieten-3620709.html

Other urls found in this thread:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
infoq.com/news/2016/06/visual-cpp-telemetry
enbdev.com/download_vramsizetest.htm
support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 10 - 64
github.com/disks86/VK9
technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/manage/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization
tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/89/much-vram-need-1080p-1440p-4k/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't read muslim.

It would counter productive for them to support Win7 when their video cards are only not shit on Win10

Mantle and Vulkan run fine on Win7 tho

Wtf I hate AMD now

and you have 5 games total that support it
and only one of those is good

>Still giving a shit about Win 7
If you care so much about "botnet" then why use Windows at all? Win 10 is superior to Win 7 in every other way.

I only play Bejewled 3.

AMDs quote in the article is in English.

>To achieve the highest confidence in the performance of our AMD Ryzen desktop processors (formerly codenamed “Summit Ridge”), AMD validated them across two different OS generations, Windows 7 and 10. However, only support and drivers for Windows 10 will be provided in AMD Ryzen desktop processor production parts.

what the fuck, the other day there was a thread about them supporting win 7

>rumor

>rumor

No, It is an official AMD statemend that was sent to heise.de (biggest German technews portal) after they asked about Windows7 support of Ryzen.

>CPU
>Windows support
I just don't understand

The only thing keeping me from buying intel was this. 7700k here I come

>it's announcement
>it is announcement
I want pajeets who don't speak english to leave

...so you buy a processor with no w7 support?

>Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel’s upcoming “Kaby Lake” silicon

You have done fucked up, also who "windows 10 only support" is bullshit, it's marketing and nothing else because M$ paid them.

AYYMD IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

AYYMDPOORFAGS CONFIRMED ON SUICIDE WATCH

Against a processor with no w7 support?

kek

Are you guys retarded? Windows 7 runs fine on Kaby Lake and Ryzen will too, its just that if you get a hatdware problem or a bug running Win 7 on this hardware you wont get any help or support from Amd, Intel or MS.

On another note. I understand it very well and support their decision.
Its the only way to make you poorfag neets to move with the world onto a platform thats ment for the future. You gotta stop whining about old shit.

If you wanna run old has shit OS's, you gotta take the old as shit hardware with it.

You get no chipset and no IGPU drivers, everything will run just fine.

People are whinning about new shit because W10 privacy issues and lack of user control since everything is forced.

So after the latest updates on Win 10, what kind of information am I still unable to stop being sent?

Nigga you will get not chipset drivers so good luck with that.
Maybe there will be some sort of homebrew drivers, but who knows.

>IGPU
But Ryzen doesn't waste die space on iGPU anyway.

Well, Windows 7 is currently the only supported Windows operating system that can use more that 4GB of video memory in DirectX applications.

It is pointless, dont even try to stop it.
Even if you somehow manage to reduce telemetry, they will wipe away all settings with their next update.
When you compile your own program with VS on Windows, Windows will automatically includes telemetry calls in your binary. This is how bad it is.
The term "botnet" for Windows10 accurate and not exaggerated in any way.
If you use it you have to bend over mate.

Hey user, calm down. You looked stressed.

DirectX 9 applications*

>needing chipset drivers

You can still use the pc for 99% of the tasks it did before.

But fuck it! Just stay with a i7 6700k or 5820k and have the drivers. People can still buy those you know.

I actually like that companies are forcing the majority over on new tech.

Windows 10 drivers work with Windows 7.
also
>not writing your own drivers

I'll ask again.

What kind of information are they getting from a win 10 machine if you disable it all?

Also, I dont do auto update. When I manually update I do check over settings.
But didnt they remove the "return botnet settings to default" feature in some updates ago?

What's bad about not supporting an outdated OS?

>5 threads about the same stuff full of FUD and lies opened in the last 24h, as many as 3 running at the same time
Butblasted intel shills on full force, I see.

>around 2010, forced school internship in one of larger computer services in my city
>some graphics woman orders beefy as fuck pc
>brings in back two days later, don't work properly
>winxp can't quite grasp hardware, so it's lagging and shit
>okay, we need windows seven
>NO NO WINDOWS SEVEN FIX IT SOMEHOW YOU BROKE IT
>but winxp don't have right drivers
>I DON'T CARE XP MASTER RACE
god, i hate all of those tech dinosaurs

Not yet outdated.
I can understand not supporting XP, why would they but Windows 7 is still a supported OS and will be for several years, longer than the upcoming generation of Ryzen CPUs will be relevant.

>Intel fan due to old-school support
>Saw the posts about AMD supporting Windows 7.
>Decided I wouldn't buy a new Intel CPU like I had planned for months and wait for Ryzen.
>See this.

You done goofed AMD. I never thought I would give you a chance, you gave me a reason to take you seriously, then you took it away.

Kaby Lake works fine with older operating systems. But who knows if future Intel chips would work fine? By AMD pulling the route of supporting Windows 7, I hoped it would pull the wool off Intel's eyes. Now I just see both are as blind and I have no reason not to buy a Kaby Lake.

Congrats AMD. You gained my interest and managed to make me lose it in the course of a few days.

Why is that an issue? Last I checked win10 is just as easily piratable as win 7.

Call me FUD. But I have trouble trusting 2016 LTSB. Registry set to 0 is not off. Microsoft is using constant fear mongering with W10. Microsoft has hardened their stance on telemetry being added to older operating systems. Something is up. There is poo in the loo.

W10 is shit.

>No privacy
>Spyware bullshit running in the background
>No user control
>Forced updates
>Edge forcing itself over other browsers

Shit in general, W8.1 is way better and that is saying a lot.

>literally not reading the article
Are you retarded? AMD said it works with Windows 7, it's just that they won't write/update new drivers for it or commercially support it. That's already better than Babby Lake that won't even boot Windows 7 without some hacked together solutions.

>still a supported OS
By who? Intel and AMD already don't support it. NVIDIA is going to stop making drivers for Windows 7 pretty soon (except on older hardware). Microsoft just has to pull the plug and Windows 7 will finally be put in its proper place: the grave.

It was a good OS--I genuinely liked it--but Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 are much better in every way.

I think what he meant by this is that AMD support for windows 7 was the only deciding thing between amd and intel CPU.

And since the rumours are that neither platforms will support windows 7 so he's choosing intel

Which makes him a retard.

AMD does a ton of business with Microsoft.
This shouldnt be a surprise.

Kaby Lake works perfectly fine with older operating systems if you aren't retarded. Lenovo's newest laptops work fine.

Even though I fucking hate it, Win10 was going to be the OS my next machine. I only have one legit copy of Win7 so... That would make 4 pooters: Vista, Win7, Ubuntu server, and then Win10 for games

Except that 8.1 is just as unsupported...

you can still use windows 7 with ryzen and kaby lake... just saying.

implying you do

By Microsoft itself: support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
And will be supported until 2020.

Windows 8 introduced a bug to DirectX 9 that causes it to be unable to allocate more than 4064MB of video memory, which is a huge issue with higher resolution. That bug hasn't been fixed for about 3 years, Windows 10 also inherited that. So playing older games on Windows 8 or 10 is not feasible and the only reason I even use Windows is games.
So Windows 10 and 8 are both worse when it comes to the majority of games on high resolution.
Also Windows 7 has a lot less issues when dual booting with Linux.

>When you compile your own program with VS on Windows, Windows will automatically includes telemetry calls in your binary.
Kys, you dont even know what you're talking about

infoq.com/news/2016/06/visual-cpp-telemetry

Pajeet pls

Weird, I play old games exclusively in Windows 8.1 on a 1440p monitor and record them in OBS. Almost all are Direct3d and older than DX9 for sure, I don't touch anything newer than 1998. It was one of the best things I saw about Windows 8.1, it worked just as well as 7 for all my old titles.

No shit, idiot. MS has been telling everyone for a long time now that they're refusing to support any new CPUs unless you downgrade to Windows 10.

To find out how much you have available either run GetAvailableTextureMemory() or use this: enbdev.com/download_vramsizetest.htm
At 4K it becomes a problem even for older games and it only affects DirectX 9 as far as I can tell, older versions aren't affected.

>AMD

This is all on Microsoft, idiot. You really think AMD(or Intel) wouldn't support Windows 7 if it was their choice?

Aren't a lot of dx9 games 32bit anyway, which by my guess would limit them to 3gb of allocation anyway. Are there any example of games which hit this buffer? As it seems like it's above the point it would become an issue for 99% of cases.

>implayin care bout 7

32bit only limits RAM usage, VRAM is unaffected.

If you want the most obvious example: modded Skyrim. That hits the memory limit in about 30 seconds after which it freezes and clears the memory only to repeat the same to infinity. Basically a second or two long lag spike every 30 seconds. That is without any texture mods, only light ENB. It even hits that limit in 1440p often enough.

>which is a huge issue with higher resolution

In new games that load 5GB worth of textures in 4k, maybe.
In no DX9 game will this ever be an issue unless it's modded beyond recognition.

>AMD
>Drivers

What did you think would happen?

Except it is when you are trying to play those games in 4K.

ReactOS good when?

GPUs they have their own bus and their own memory, all that DX9 does is tells what files to transfer to GPU for processing.

Dx9 games realistically probably wouldn't be able to allocate that much video memory anyways due to other engine limitations. If you can cite a game that will actually pull that much memory and is only in Dx9 then w/e but I have never seen a Dx9 game that had that level of demand for VRAM.

These games ran on GPUs with only hundreds of MBs of RAM at SXGA or later 1080p.
4k is roughly 6-7 times more demanding than SXGA, while 4 GB is over ten times more RAM than was usually available for that resolution, not to mention the memory was MUCH slower.

2 I had the most issues were Skyrim and Tera, Warframe also has this issue but it can run in DirectX 11. As far as I know game engines usually have no limit on how much VRAM they can use but I can be wrong.

U wot m8? DirectX 9 games are still being produced from time to time, currently there are more DirectX 9 games than there are games that use DirectX 10, 11 or 12 combined and more than a few are quite recent.

Windows 10 is the most secure version of Windows

Old people with there 10 year old Windows 7 got BTFO

There's only like 16 games with dx12 support

>no IGPU drivers
AMD has NO iGPU with summit ridge

Hopefully there will be 3rd party chipset drivers for w7 :^)

Windows 10 is not secure at all, because it is by itself malware.

>16 games for dx12
More than the Vita

support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 10 - 64
Check it, yo. These drivers already have support for all Ryzen chipsets, because they have been used with the Bristol Ridge AM4 APUs that are already out.

vk9 is the future :)
github.com/disks86/VK9

that was epic

epic for the win

I rolled back to Windows 7 about a month ago but that looks interesting, I'll remember that in case I need to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10 for some reason.

Just remember that it's not production level as of yet

DELET

Wait... will vk9 support DirectDraw?

Is anyone really surprised about this? Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended 2 years ago. Just because Microsoft says that they're going to continue shipping security updates for Windows 7 until 2020 doesn't mean that hardware companies are going to spend time and money supporting an old OS where some functions may not be possible to implement due to requiring work on Microsoft's end. You also have to consider how these new processor will require new motherboards, which means you're going to need a new install of Windows anyways and people would traditionally upgrade to a newer version of Windows at this time (which most of the posters here would be doing without complaining if Windows 10 wasn't introducing all the privacy issues people expect of stock smartphones into desktops).

This is coming from someone who hates Windows 10 and will never "upgrade" to it.

The amount of FUD on this board is astonishing.
technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/manage/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization

All I know about the Muslim dialect is that they replace the western language "period" with just blowing themselves up. For example:

>Non-Muslim speaker: Hey John did you watch the game last night?

>Muslim speaker: yea great game, it was really close but somehow we...

>*Muslim explodes

then why do i always read horror storys of lower frame rates, programs randomly uninstalling against your will, and 5 hour long updates?

No it isn't, retard. Moving up to 4K wouldn't even come close to increasing the VRAM usage of any DX9 game to 4GB or more. They're still the same shitty, low res textures being used. Resolution alone has almost fuck all impact on VRAM usage, even in modern games. Even the 58GB Fallout 4 texture pack that was just released only raises VRAM usage by about 1.5GB.

Modded Skyrim is literally the only case where it could be a problem, and it's irrelevant now with the Special Edition available with DirectX 11 support.

Because you spend all day on an anonymous image board where hipsters and counter-culture nerds tell lies for reactions and to make themselves feel superior to 'normies'.

Honestly, it takes two seconds to fact check all the bullshit that comes out of this board and it all unravels from there.

I'm gonna need some sources on that because the first link google provides says quite the opposite: tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/89/much-vram-need-1080p-1440p-4k/index.html

Admittedly I don't have an issue with all DirectX games just about half that I tried.
Also claiming all DirectX 9 games use low res textures is just downright false.

Guess I wont be buying Ryzen then.

>i'll only buy this hardware if it's future proof
>it needs to support an OS that'll be dead in two years
fuck off retards

why are you chucklefucks trying to play DX9 games at 4K anyway? you need to seriously take a look at your priorities.

ganooloonix 4lyfe nugger

And yet installing Gentoo would fix this immediately.

god i love when new hardware comes out on Sup Forums and the conversation devolves into arguing about pointless drivel no sane person would ever waste a millisecond thinking about.

Dual-boot, you nerds.

If windows 7 doesn't work properly it's more like a single boot. 1.5 boot?

>you can't have both hurrrr!!!1

The only thing prevented Ryzen/Kaby from receiving Win7 support is the aggressive Microsoft marketing strategy regarding Win10.
Windows 7 is right now the most widespread MS OS, will be supported for longer than either Kaby or the first generation of Ryzen will be even relevant, and there are no hard limitations that prevent either from working with 7, it's all just forced obsolescence.
So get fucked.

I mean. Use Linux for serious work and Windows 10 for gaems and other software and lock it down. Who cares if it has telemetry if all it sees are games and other meaningless shit?

Because I have a 4K monitor and TV so why not?

Just play the fucking remaster jesus