/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3SW1667
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My Thinkpad is a mid-2012 i7 Macbook Pro.

Is it true the low voltage cpu of the x240 matches the x230's in performance or is a chinaman trying to trick me again?

x230's i5 3320m still scores higher than the skylake 6200u but the integrated graphics on skylakes beats the hd 4000

What RAM upgrade did you guys get? My old x220 only has 4GB of memory and I'm upgrading that shit.

Whatever is of a reputable brand and works.

Go for the fast timings if you want an unnoticeable speed boost.

Hell, it really doesn't matter.
In my X230 I've got mixed DDR3 and DDR3L right now of different brands. No issues.

Guys I have a problem processor low clock speed in windows 10 when I remove the battery and plug in laptop charger...

how to solve this

thinkpad T420

how's gaming on the 5200m 1gb ?

A 90 watt charger instead of the 65 watt one you're using

the problem is when using OSX the processor running full speed with turbo...

so not the charger problem

Is it a 65 watt charger or not?

>other business laptops

Is it common for used E6400/E6410' s to have some wobble in lid hinges?

It wobbles a few degrees. Outside this amplitude, it feels stiffish as it should, just like on any thinkpad I've had.

I'm puzzled whether the wobble is in the hinges themselves, or have they perhaps become loose where they're bolted onto the lid. I guess in the latter case I should fix it asap, yet I'm not too eager to go ahead since removing the bezel seems a bit tricky.

if i recall correctly, it doesn't matter if you use mismatched brands

what does matter is that the voltage and capacity of both sticks should be the same

sorry i can't answer your question, but how has the dell been treating you?

after much research and usage of both thinkpads and latitudes, i think the elitebooks more sturdy and even aesthetically appealing than the latitudes, but i have never tried one so i can't made a valid comparison

yes 65w

silly poop head, you're using an x-model thinkpad charger

get a 90w 20v, they are like $9.75 with free shipping, assuming you are in the US

Will my 55+ battery burst into flames?

I don't think the charger is the problem...

in windows 7 the processor run full speed with Turbo..

Who wants to tell me about the experience of having an X220

is it delightful

does it feel sensual to have an X220

I feel like 12.5" is not large enough

With the battery out?

Because A: you're getting replies from 2 people now, B: I have no Hackintosh experience, and C: The T420 throttling without a battery on a 65 watt charger is also a known issue in Windows

I don't know about the X220 but my X230T is very nice.

yes... battery out..

and thats the standard power charger from manufacturer..
my T420 is custom build,
my T420 didn't even have camera on it

Well I guess everyone in the world is retarded except you :(

State your use case. It varies from perfect to cramped depending on what you do with it.

IdeaPads suck quite badly.
A neighbor came asking for help because her laptop was frozen, impossible to turn it off and open it would mean avoiding the warranty.

Stick to the thinkpads, ffs

its cool, but I would still pick a T4__ over it

as other user said, what is your use case? are you just using your laptop at home? get a t420

are you looking for a more versatile device you can whip out anywyhere, or do you travel frequently? then definitely get either an x201 or x220

My T420 have integrated graphic..
the 'everyone' is having the throttle problem is the one with discreet graphic...

I already buy the 90w charger...

Have two. Got one barely used. Another brand new. Best laptops I had since an old 2012 macbook pro that still works. Used both to work and shitpost. Both run linux. I would like a 1600x900 screen though.

Not really. I'm using both DDR3L and normal voltage DDR3 and it's fine.

I buy compatible 90W not original power charger.. is it work??

Mainly for work stuff and 4champs. Work stuff is a lot of spreadsheets and datasets though, I like a bigger display for that.

I can get a 410 for the same price, worth a punt?

Shoutout to the Asian guy browsing Sup Forums on a T60 with tape over the webcam at the Philz on Ocean Ave. :^)

I got an IdeaPad for free once since Lenovo is a client of my Dad's company.

I use it for light vidya but after leaving it idle for a few months the battery no longer charges

>I got an IdeaPad for free
this should the only way to own one

You ever use your thinkpad on the toilet?

Personally I can't stand doing any real work without real peripherals. Would highly recommend a docking station no matter what you buy.

The difference in horsepower between the '10 and '20 series is going to be noticeable. And I don't think the resolution between the two is going to make a significant difference in usability.

Good thing I've got my trusty x220. I barely touch the IdeaPad.

Even for online vidya the thing is awful because whatever ethernet connector they put in the thing is trash.

us Sup Forums posters LOL dont forget your meme stickers

d00d, dont insult my beloved Lain by posting her here

I used to.
I also used it on my bed and blocked the fan intake and it ran so hot that it eventually blew the ccfl backlight inverter and some fuses and it wouldn't POST anymore.

Even before that, it stopped POSTing, so if I wanted to cold boot it, I had to get a can of compressed air and shoot it into the fan to pretend it was still working correctly to get past the POST.

>tape over the webcam

Should I do this?

No. Patches are more stylish

Depends. Taping it over is kinda inconsequent. On a ThinkPad you have the green light that informs you if the webcam is on. If you don't trust the indicator LED you can of course tape it over. But if you don't want to be spied on, being watched should be your smallest concern. Just think about what information criminals could gain through the internal microphone. I'd be more worried about that. And if you decide to take out the microphone you might as well take out the speakers because technically these are microphones too.

Yes, but only after you disable it in the BIOS

But the X240 uses a Haswell processor user.

Can malware still turn it on after it's disabled in bios?

Malware probably not, but NSA potentially.

I use a 410, beat it with a cane for 5 minutes straight tuesday to relieve stress. Shit works perfectly still, just had to pop the bezel back on.

Is there anywhere you can get legit original trackpoints or at least high quality Chinese ones?

There's literally nothing wrong with a couple meme stickers as long as they're not from video games, Sup Forums related and you're not just randomly slapping them all over.

eBay is full of overpriced thinkpads...
whats the best alternative in Europe?

>in Europe

What's the FRU number of the W520 dock that supports USB 3.0?

I'm totally fine with my W541 and X201t. I can't think of anything additional that would meet any of my needs.

What do you do with your thinkpad other than shitpost and programming?

I just got my x230 and I'm very impressed with the keyboard. I thought the chiclets would be shit. Maybe I've just been conditioned to be happy with how crappy they are on other laptops.

>X201i just came in (i3 processor)
>turn on
>use
>somehow the performance is better than my regular X201 (i5 processor)
>both have freshly installed windows.
what gives

Gonna start CAD next year for aerospace engineering. My W530 should be plenty, and I should get lots of lolling from 1500$ Alienware/Mac idiots trying and failing to into autoCAD as I laugh with my 500$ brick.

There's a local listing for the E570 fully loaded NIB for $600.

S-should I?

Why is there so much screen burn-in on my x230t I just got? After-images appear in less than a minute.

>tfw my thinkpad is only 10km away but it's not going to be delivered until after the weekend because it missed the local driver morning pickup

I've went to visit my family and forgot to take my charger, but my father has a Lenovo(non thinkpad) that uses the same port
The question is can I actually use it because of the same port or will I fry my laptop/the charger/the house ?
The laptops in question are T550 and E50-80 if that matters

use your head and figure it out yourself.

muh x201 still just werks

don't really see why people spend hundreds of dollars on laptops when you can buy one of these

I've just had to reassemble (completely) my T430s for unrelated reasons.
Now the camera and battery leds don't work.
Logically I'm assuming I didn't connect properly the LVDS cable (from the monitor), but it is plugged perfectly fine.
Any ideas how to debug this?

Probably because they want a laptop without a dog shit worthless junk TN display. Your photograph is of poor quality but despite that I can still clearly see the pathetic viewing angle on that display and horrible blue tint which is indicative of a bottom-tier TN panel with piteous black levels and contrast ratio.

The blue tint is probably more related to the white balance of the camera being unable to balance the yellow light of the lamp with the blue light of the display and window.

>muh cuckpad for mousing

Why not get the X200? There's no justifiable reason in to have a trackpad.

>intentionally using older hardware for the sole reason that it does not include something that you don't like that has no effect on the computer.

>first gen i5
no

Thats what I was thinking.

My third gen i5 in my x230 sucks too much power as it is.

I wish I could install a magical unicorn CPU that is ULV when it needs to be, and turbo boosts up to 4-5ghz when I need it to, thermals allowing.

Hmmmm... Ideal ThinkPad?
An X220 that has the latest hardware and is a bit thinner without sacrificing ports or durability.

Anyone know what the best whitelisted Wi-Fi card I can put into an X230 is? I know there is a whitelist that can only be defeated with a special tool (so fuck that).

>bought a W520
>old T60p is much more comfy

Probably the Intel 6205, you might even have to buy the specific Lenovo version of it.

Thats what its got now, thanks.

Whitelists on Wi-Fi are totally pointless. You can bypass it with a USB adapter, and they don't whitelist anything else. like hard drives or batteries.

Why do they do this?

>getting an X200 when you can just swap the palmrest on the X201/X201s
plebeian

I feel like I already know the answer to this one but what do you guys think of Thinkpad 13. I loved the keyboard and the specs look alright and it's light and felt like it was well made.

Didn't they give you a "Sorry we missed you" slip or something so you can just drive there and show them that and get it?

why losing a usb port?

They do because they take FCC regulations too seriously. HP also does it. Dell did it too but I don't know if they still do this today.

all i7 versions do.

FCC only mandates that the laptop complies when shipped. Not that the customer cannot modify it afterward.

Whitelisting wifi cards is equivalent to prohibiting USB wifi cards from being installed.

Is this Thinkpad good or does it suck?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3SW1667

Run from it like the plague.

Why exactly?

Im just looking for a Thinkpad running Win 7 with preferably 1080p.

I bought this computer for $10 at an auction. Can't be too picky about such things in that scenario.

yes

they haven't hit a point where they have realized that basically everything is a scam

This is correct. In person the screen has good color. Viewing angles and contrast are just okay, but it's a laptop so whatever. If I want a very pretty picture I will be at my desktop.

E series is trash. Get a T520 or T530 off Ebay for a fraction of the price.

agree they are fucking horrible

E series thinkpads are basically normal craptops that say "ThinkPad" on them are are sold at a premium.

so I just bought, and am typing on a 2016 thinkpad yoga.

I got it for $760, but the screen has these yellow spots in the corners. Turns out this is a problem with these.

Is it worth trying to repair / repairing myself? or do I rma it and wait for something else to come up? is it worth trying to find an x1 yoga?

I'm liking most of it so far. I'm going to boot ubuntu first though. to see if everything works.

by yellow spots do you mean backlight bleed? show us a photo

its really only visible on a black screen h/o I'll see if I can get a pic. but it might be hard to see.

it is definitely defective. I looked online for some other examples, and this one is pretty bad.

2 other corners like this, but this one is the worst

is it only noticeable on dark/black backgrounds/images

yes

Seriously, the only way to know the real reason to keep using the whitelist is by asking someone working in lelnovo(Morrisville, Yamato Lab or any facility working on the ThinkPad engineering), preferably an engineer, public relations or press people almost never give a proper answer to really technical questions. Unfortunately I dom't know anybody close to Lenovo.

This is the new P51