codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_C_Sharp_and_Java
stackoverflow.com/questions/1812734/jquery-get-elements-by-class-name-and-add-css-to-each-of-them
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-a-mail-server-using-postfix-dovecot-mysql-and-spamassassin
discustd.com
validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=https://discustd.com/
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE
edx.org/xseries/how-code-systematic-program-design
eloquentjavascript.net/
github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS
gitbook.com/book/frontendmasters/front-end-handbook-2017/details
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for golang

Hey anons, serious question. I am 26 soon and would like to change carreer. I have no experience in coding just general computing, maintenance, building shitty basic webpages.

Know the basics of html, css, going for js soon. Then hope to get onto php and friends. Any tips that might help me get into the industry, or which way shall I sway regarding languages?

Thanks in advance.

Also bump.

Learn Lisp.

Look around at job offers around your area.
Then learn that needed language for the job.

Already on that, html,css, js, jquery, bootstrap, php usually.

Thanks btw.

I have an error 500 on my blog hosted on openshift. It just says that the page is not working and the server is unable to handle a request.

Anybody knows how can I fix it?

What's the difference between java and C# when it comes to feutures of the language and what kind of job you get with the language? I think I heard somewhere that C# developers usually develop local systems in an organization, is this true? That type of job sounds less stressful to me desu

>C# usually for local apps
I work with C#, I've never done an intra-business app. Java is older but because it runs through a VM before the processor, it can be run on more types of devices. C# (.NET) is very limited in the devices it can run on, it needs a Windows server. This hasn't stopped its growth though because a Microsoft backing provides sufficient justification to use it.

Features comparison:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_C_Sharp_and_Java

500 means that something's fucked with your configuration on your server and it needs to be fixed. Did you set this blog up on your own? How are you handling traffic with your server? Did you check to see if those config files are correct before uploading it?

That's honestly not a lot of information to go off of and assuming that you're responsible for all the above, you should check your configs and restart related services once your sure that it's correct.

loadCommentsFromServer() {
/*axios.get(this.props.url)
.then(res => {
this.setState({ data: res.data });
})*/
fetch(this.props.url, {
method: 'GET',
headers: { 'Accept': 'application/json', 'Content-Type': 'application/json' }
})
.then(res => {
//console.log(res);
});
}

anyone know why fetch isn't working here? the commented out axios get method works, and when I console log res from the fetch method I get the data just fine, so why can't I setState for data?

The actual error I get is "TypeError: this.props.data is undefined" from when another component is trying to access that data, so it seems that the issue is being able to set the state with the response data

try defining your scope just above the fetch

loadCommentsFromServer() {
var self = this;
fetch(self.props.url, {
method: 'GET',
headers: { 'Accept': 'application/json', 'Content-Type': 'application/json' }
})
.then(res => {
//console.log(res);
});
}

maybe it's a scope issue. It doesn't look like it, but idk react that well

>C# needs a Windows server
>What is .NET Core

not doing it unfortunately, thanks though

i'm trying to highlight all posts in a thread that have the US flag on Sup Forums

this is what i have
var all_replies = document.getElementsByClassName('post reply');
var us_replies = document.getElementsByClassName('flag flag-us');
for (i = 0; i < all_replies.length; i++) {
if all_replies[i]. ????
}

and this
document.getElementsByClassName('post reply').forEach((el) => {
el.classList.add('flag-us')
})

does anyone know how to do this?

basically i would like to highlight (something like a yellow border box) all the replies that have the US flag.

i think i need to access the css properties of a reply

stackoverflow.com/questions/1812734/jquery-get-elements-by-class-name-and-add-css-to-each-of-them

but i'm posting this code on the javascript console of firefox

[].forEach.call(document.querySelectorAll('.flag-us'), (function(elem) {
elem.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'yellow';
}));

var flags = document.getElementsByClassName("flag-de"),
len = flags !== null ? flags.length : 0,
i = 0;
for(i; i < len; i++) {
flags[i].style.border = "2px solid yellow";
}

thanks guys! this is exactly what i wanted

Are there any decent resources for learning about algorithms and data-structures through Javascript, or will I need to pick up a new language in order to find materials on the topic?

Should I even give a shit? I'm interested in moving into more of the backend side of web, do algorithms and data-structures have much relevance there, or are they confined to the land of embedded sys and desktop dev?

What's the back-end language to learn?

PHP is kind of dying off and was always regarded as a dumpster fire by many. Ruby seems to be dropping in popularity too.

C#?

I'd say node or php still, at least from what I'm seeing in job listings in boston. I did node

Close to giving up and last time I posted I was refered to wdg, so here we go. Working on a Discord bot with mongodb. User enters something like "!settle 589ce23e23e1132b7c905e75 win" to update an existing entry. It's supposed to find the entry with the matching id, then update the "status" field from a preset status "pending" to the status "win".

MongoClient.connect(url, function (err, db) {
if (err) {
console.log('Unable to connect to the mongoDB server. Error:', err);
} else {
console.log('Connection established to', url);

var collection = db.collection('users');
var query = {};
var status = {};

var id = "_id";
var updatestatus = "status";
var userid = args[0];
var userstatus = args[1];
query[id] = userid;
status[updatestatus] = userstatus;

collection.findOneAndUpdate(query, status);

A console.log() shows that both objects, query and status contain exactly what they're supposed to, yet the "status" field just does not update. Fiddled around with all other update / modify options, can't get anything to work. Any help / hints appreciated.

I never quite got how mailing works. How do I set up an email server on my machine so that I can send emails from [email protected]? Like in general, obvioulsy I'm not asking for a step-by-step process, just what software I should use and things like that. I only need to send emails, and not receive them, since it's gonna be used for an email verification thingy.

just use sendgrid or another service. The difficulty with setting up your own email server is making it so your sent emails aren't all caught by spam filters.

The problem is that sendgrid has no free option, and I don't have any actual sites running that would actually make me any money right now, only learning projects. I also don't really care about the spam filter as long as the emails are delivered, I often see sites warning users about how the confirmation email may be in the spam filter.

It's a wordpress blog and it's easy as 1, 2, 3 to set up. It worked smoothly and just from nowhere - bam - error 500. That's why I don't know what could have went wrong. The last thing I did was s reupload of functions.php where I made a minor unimportant tweak.

So basically, I want to reupload my functions.php file because it's possible that I made a typo there and everything crashed. But I don't know how to do that with openshift and I can't just go to my admin panel and do it from there.

I changed the file through git and still nothing. Welp, now I know it's not me who fucked up.

Fuck. Dunno what to do now.

This. I have a setup with Dovecot and Postfix and most of the time, my e-mails end up right in the spam box.

But if you feel like pressing on and playing sysadmin, here's a guide that's close to what I used to get things up and running:

digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-a-mail-server-using-postfix-dovecot-mysql-and-spamassassin

Question: Do I really need to learn Erlang before/during my study of Elixir? I know Elixir runs on BEAM, but does that actually mean that I need to have a fair knowledge of Erlang in order to be a good Elixir developer?

Apparently you should, but don't worry, Erlang is a really nice language. Sadly I only have personal experience regarding Erlang, and not Elixir, so I can neither confirm nor deny pic related.

Okay I'm lost. I thought I was getting a good grasp on C#, but I guess I'm not.

Could somebody please explain to me what "static" means in a method?

Why does this code throw an error if I don't declare IsNumeric as static? I don't get it.

using System;

public class Program
{
public static void Main()
{
bool returnV = IsNumeric("32323");
if(returnV){
Console.WriteLine("true");
}else{
Console.WriteLine("false");
}
}

private bool IsNumeric(string text){
int myVar;
return Int32.TryParse(text, out myVar);
}
}

What's the coolest site you've ever made?

I'm trying to work on a website that's a mix or leddit and a chan right now. Been working on it for a few weeks not (still in alpha.)

Looks kinda like shit right now but I'm just gonna keep tweaking it until I get it right

What language?

I think I saw you post in one of the earlier wdgs. I can't really imagine how a website could be a mix of leddit and 4chin though.

static indicates the method is a static member of the class rather than a member of an instance of a specific object

IsNumberic is not a member of any object, it is a method that returns a value in your main class

A few of them, image handling is done in python with bash scripts running as crons to create thumbs, update indexes, etc; and finally PHP on the frontend (with JS obviously for the UI.)

Nah wasn't me I haven't posted on here in awhile and I've only posted too one of the webdesign subreddits for feedback (still pretty early, as I said.)

It's basically you can use it anonymously but if you want to register you're able to vote (and one day create boards.) Posts aren't ordered by voting but voting helps bring them to the front page.

I've got some bigger ideas but I'm keeping them close to the chest; I guess it doesn't matter at this point the website is discustd.com brutalize me Sup Forums I need feedback

>don't hax me plz

>discustd.com

also I'm using lets encrypt, anyone else have problems with androids native browser with lets encrypt (chrome and firefox work fine, but android browser tells me its not secure.)

What is your back-end written in? I'm asking because I'd like to know if you've set it up manually or used the automatic cofiguration mode of certbot. I used it with a site written in Erlang, and there was no default way to automatically set the certs up for the webserver I'm using (yaws). I had to manually set the key file and the cert, but did not set the cacert (intermediate certificate), because it wasn't really documented, so firefox and chrome on android was giving me errors, while it worked on chrome on linux. I added the cacert to the config and now everything works fine.

Oh, just ignore my previous post. I tested it in my android browser and in firefox, and apparently there is nothing wrong with your certs. Firefox does show a little warning sign though, since you have mixed content on your site, which is not related to your certs. I couldn't find what could be setting off this warning though. Anyway, it seems to me that you also serve the site over http, which you obviously shouldn't, you should 302 redirect people who load your page over http to the https site.

validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=https://discustd.com/
You should use this tool to make your html non-shit.

See above it's a mix of PHP and Python. Also I used the script to set up the cert and yeah had to set the key file and shit myself.

The reason I'm still serving HTTP is because when I had my friends alpha testing it they were (claiming) cert errors in androids browsers and I figured most people would see it through that (normies and shit)

I did have it redirecting to https, guess I could set that up again.

Appreciate you testing it for me desu

I will I've got a lot to do still (it's at alpha 0.1)

I also plan on GPL'ing it once I get the code to not so spaghetti-y and a large enough crowd there that some asshole doesn't just steal my work and throw ad money at it.

Yeah it just seems to me that you are using a lot of outdated attributes instead of inline CSS (should be style="width: 25px; height: 25px;" instead of width="25px" height="25px". You should care about these things now, since it will be a lot more work to unfuck your whole site once it's complete and you are used to using these techniques.

Sort of unrelated.

I just bought a domain with dreamhost that I wanted to use for my professional email.

But dreamhost doesn't do email without paying like 10 dollars a month.

I wanted to use gmail as the frontend but its not working like I expected.

What can I do?

Agreed, it's on my TODO for this weekend I don't have much time I'm going to school full time and working 2 jobs right now so I only have saturdays and sunday mornings as "spare time" which is dedicated to this.

Will clean it up this weekend as well I plan on starting "invite only" registration for now (since the user system has only just been written it's most likely buggy as hell and I don't want to get pwned (despite having backups on everything I just have so little time it would be shitty and set me back a day.)

Question: I need to store images for a site. I was going to just json encode strings of URLs that point to the images on my server. Is this a bad approach?

I need a way to save anywhere from 1-10 images (or image locations) per record

Just use Zoho mail. Its free.

Point your mx records and spf records towards any email service and you have it working.
dkim and dmarc records are optional

I could make a screenshot of my records.

that would be nice.

Thank you.

>26
It's too late. The CS meme is true sometimes if you started coding when you were 8

That's not true. half my coworkers didn't touch a line of code till their 30's

that was obvious bait but new guys needed to know

So basically Agile,DevOps and whatnot are just philosophies to turn workers into robots and drain them of their energy as much as possible so that product can be finished faster for extra shekels?
They show it as some fancy idea that is good but basically its just the enslavement method?

You guys think there's something genetic in programming talent? I've seen anecdotal evidence around the internet and in my own experience, just wondering what you guys' experience has been. Have you seen people who have been working in the industry for 20 years and their code is still an eye sore, they don't grasp concepts in programming as quickly, and they are just behind the curb seemingly no matter what?

Are you sure that the request actually is okay, so there's no error because of CORS etc?
Otherwise, I'd try res.json()

You're responding to a reply of the original poster

humans are born with an innate capacity to do logical thinking. monkeys can mimic our moves to solve puzzles but they cant solve it by themselves i think.

My MongoDB got ransomware. Nothing of value was lost, and I'm actually glad I got a story to tell now.

Why don't you tell us more.

All there is to tell.

How did it happen? Did they find an exploit in your site, or did you install some random shit on your machine that was a virus?

>mfw no password in MongoDB

That's it, really.

lol this happened to my redis server which was for testing my forum, lucky i didnt hold anything precious, reminder to use a pw next time faggot

fuck I wish I was this unethical it'd be so easy to make $$$ this way

Probably, my dad was a programmer and the thought process just comes naturally to me, Grampa was a math dude.

I've met a few CS masters whose parents were mathematicians as well, although that could be more the environment desu.

I wonder if I could phish / scam him and have all the money returned to victims. I've been doing it for years to gain money and maybe like this I can moralfag a little lol

clap once for AngularJS

Now that would be fun and allow me to ride the moral high horse; good idea user

Make a page that says "Tor nodes were blocked for spamming", faggot will have to get on clearnet, trace his ip to location and send him an email like "Hows weather in X, you thought you could get away with this forever? Ahahah" then let him reply scared then make your demands

>pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE
What's up with this link under 'How to get started'?

whats the matter, dont you like competing for story points? Working in an agile team is empowering.. you build production shit every day instead of blindly following a year long plan writing shitty code that noone is breaking. And wtf would you do without DevOps? Make the css monkey front end devs think about hosting and load balancing and security? Thats a recipe for disaster

He probably uses a script that looks for mongodb's web interface and tries the default user + password or whatever, so if it fails, he won't try to hack it manually. The guy whose mongodb got hacked should check his logs though, the hacker may have been stupid enough to do it over the clearnet in the first place.

Anyone using .NET core? I've never used ms stuff until typescript and vs code recently, and I'm impressed with those. Never though I'd be getting interested in ms tech in 2017.

don't you need to decode the json yourself with fetch? i.e. res.json()

you can reel the skiddie to come to clearnet by making a fake bitcoin acceptance link or whatever "hey man I sent the money here's proof" or "hey man here's the wallet with the user and password blah blah and you can withdraw yourself please dont do anything to my files" and the link showing only "Tor nodes blocked due to spam" but logs the skiddies IP.

Does anyone know how Sup Forums's thread deletion works? Like threads get bumped to the first spot when someone replies, except when the thread has reached the bump limit, but does Sup Forums just delete the last thread in the queue when someone makes a new thread, or does it look at other factors like post count and such? I've been thinking about making a Sup Forums clone for the experience, seems like a reasonably small project for that. Also, what hashing algorithm does it use for the tripcodes?

that kinda stuff is seldom used in js. it's already high-level. learn it with c. It's worth learning even if you don't use it every day, because it gives you good instincts for what is actually happening under the hood in higher level code. and it's just interesting

node and ruby still have lots of jobs. java or c# too. go is really solid, but not as many jobs. if you wanna be really hipster, go with elixir. scala jobs are rare but tend to pay really well.

hmm that's really clever. Sup Forums should actually social engineer this douche into getting his info and then report him to the police.

i don't use mongo, but what debugging/tests have you done? are you sure you're using it correctly according to the docs?

use mailgun's free option. you really don't want to setup your own mailer.

thank you bby, I would recommend that we make him send the money back to the victims with the note in the bitcoin transaction for each: "[our emails here] made me send your money back by tricking me to reveal my IP"

that's wordpress for you. shit codebase, no help to the developer. do you really need to use it? if you're just running a personal blog, look into static site generators.

>PHP is kind of dying off and was always regarded as a dumpster fire by many. Ruby seems to be dropping in popularity too.
>C#?

Ruby is fine.
But in the end it doesn't really matter, pick a langauge that works for YOU. And if you are a PHP evangelist, so be it.

Good advice

We should make him do that AND send him to prison. Fucking skiddies man.

dont ruin a little kids life for 50$. just teach him a lesson and maybe make this one cucking of a scammer public so they'll be more afraid

agile is a good idea in principle, but almost always abused in practice. it's better to use progammer anarchy or programming motherfucker.

I think it's a combination of native intelligence (nature) and upbringing/educational opportunities (nurture). If either of those is missing, it ain't gonna work.

you're talking about a normal division of labour based on specialisation. agile has no monopoly on that.

>no experience in programming

You need to first do these three courses (free, only take a week to 5 weeks depending on commitment) edx.org/xseries/how-code-systematic-program-design (this is also known as HtDP 'How to Design Programs book)

You absolutely have to do that first before anything or you'll be confused beyond belief.

Finished those 3? ok now read Eloquent Javascript as an introduction to JS/web dev bullshit: eloquentjavascript.net/

The way you read programming books is you manually type out all the code, and do all the exercises in the book.

Finished? Now do the entire "You Don't Know JS" book series (also free):
github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS

Now you are ready to put it all together with a web dev bootcamp, so read the Front End Developer's Handbook gitbook.com/book/frontendmasters/front-end-handbook-2017/details

Congrats you are done. Now you go and get a job somewhere as customer support at first, debugging forms or asking customers to open up the DOM in their browser and give you information. This is called "Support Engineer" usually and weworkremotely.com has all of these jobs.

While working for this company you slowly move into being a F/T developer by debugging their code, learning everything there is to know about their stack/product/development cycle, then finally becoming a dev yourself.

bad opsec, obviously that's a kraken generated address he's using to cash out the stolen loot

>opsec
hello /r/DarknetMarkets

I can't say I've done any debugging, I'm completely new to mongodb (and even just the bit of js I use), so I wouldn't know how. What I can say is that it doesn't give me any error message when I do it this way and that the documentation is of little help, because it has no examples of using queries with objects that have varibale content. When I do a find() query using the same "query" object it works. I've also tried something along the lines of
collection.findOneAndUpdate(query, { $set: { "status" : "win" } } );
to see if the status object is the issue, but that also doesn't work.

Fuck me, I don't really have to use it, no. And I won't anymore. It still doesn't work. But I think in this case it's not a WP problem, I saw some comments on web that Openshift is fucking up. Hope they will fix it. if not, I have to change my host.

Wow, webdev is such a Pajeet field. I always have the urge to kill myself when I have to do some web coding.

Can anyone provide me with a guide on how to go to stage 0 to deployment of a (business-related) website?

I feel I can grasp the essentials, but a comprehensive step by step would be excellent.

tldr: REQUESTING HOW-TO - STEP 0 to DEPLOYMENT

>invited for informal interview

I had to Google it. I didn't know this was a thing.

I guess I just wear non-sperg clothes and nice shoes?

step 0 - Create idea. Figure out how the idea will work. Figure out if the idea WILL work. What incentive does it offer the user to use the site? Is the idea practical and useful? Does it offer a form of power or entertainment?

step 1 - Run this idea by family and friends. Feedback is very important. Consider it and make changes as necessary.

Step 2 - Let the idea brew in your head for a few weeks. After this step you should not change anything. Small changes can brick your website and stop you from ever deploying. Solidifying your idea is the most important part.

Step 3 - Write out your database and tables on paper with datatypes. It's easier to visualize and make changes this way.

Step 4 - Create your database.

Step 5 - Create the most difficult part of the website. This changes depending on the type of website, but say you were making a dating website. You might want to start by creating user login with profiles then use the maps API to find other cities within specified radius then search the db for users within those cities.

Step 6 - Create all of the finer aspects like profile 'about' section, friends lists, image galleries, etc.

Step 7 - CSS. Up until this point, your page should look like shit. Unstyled text boxes on a white background with shit loading in the corner with AJAX. This unfortunately is my longest step. I burn through the first 0-6 steps in a few weeks and CSS takes me months to nail it down right.

Step 7.5 - Finer details. Copyright, div animations, header, layout tweaks etc. Don't spend more than a week on this. You may never leave this half-step if you don't set a deadline.

Step 8 - Buy a droplet on digital ocean or go scalable on AWS. Install your stack like you hopefully no how to, login with SSH and upload everything. Don't forget to install the db.

Step 9 (next post)

Step 9 - Rig it so that it looks like people already use it. Make fake posts, accounts, profiles, whatever. Put "Join the 1 million users that use my shitty website today!" by the signup box. Make it look active.

Step 10 - List the website on every search engine known to man.

Step 11 - Use your shitposting account on Reddit to post the website there. Use your alts through VPN to upvote you a dozen or so times. See if they bite.

Head back to step 0 with a new idea and keep grinding.