ArchLinux drops 32 bit support

Archniggers with crap laptops on suicide watch

Other urls found in this thread:

archlinux.org/news/phasing-out-i686-support/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

literally no one runs that shit. it's the common lazy distro. "I'm too lazy to make a distro, I'll pretend "I give the power to the user" and let them do everything themsevles".
FUCKING SURPRISED they can't be arsed to even support the most popular ****ARCH****S (pun fucking intended).

>The [multilib] repository will not be affected by this change.
So it's fucking nothing?

Forgot source:
archlinux.org/news/phasing-out-i686-support/

>32bit
>Most popular

Are... do you live in a shithole third world country that gets their computers from 15 year old waste? Where the fuck are you seeing 32bit computers. You know Windows doesn't support 32bit right?

this distro has a countdown to its death that runs faster than gentoo's tbph.

It was plural cunts. Archs. Do you have any idea how many architectures Debian supports? Fucking insanity. They don't even fucking support LINUX. THEY EVEN SUPPORT OTHER FUCKING KERNELS.
this is babby distro that will be dead within 2 years maximum.

you are even stupid, I run windows 10 on 32bit on very old PCs in the office. It runs faster because they only have 2GB and very slow HDDS. Because the binaries are much smalller even if the CPUs can barely do 64bit.
not supporting 32bit is pure laziness.
any linux that isn't gonna die within 2 years does it.

And you use how many of those architectures? How is that even relevant to this? No one is forcing you to use Arch.
You're like one of those retards who go out of their way to get offended and then you enlighten everyone with your "superiority". Kill yourself.

>runs faster because they only have 2GB
[citation needed], especially for significantly, noticeably faster.

>you're only supposed to use x86_64 if your computer has more than 4GB RAM fallacy
No, you use it if your CPU supports it and there's absolutely no reason to use x86 whether you have 2GB of RAM or 32GB.

>I run windows 10 on 32bit on very old PCs in the office.

Third world problems

already read it on reddit a couple of days ago

You can run 64 bit on an x86 too, it's got even extra bits leftover
Lol at people that don't realize this and are freaking out

what are some good subreddits that have actual discussion but aren't cancerous

It actually sucks more for VMware people, who want to test the operating system, before installing it normally. That and older computers that could benefit from it.

How will this affect wine users? I need multi lib for steam etc but it says the library is not affected.

It's been on Sup Forums every day for 2 weeks.

I don't see the big deal. You install it then uninstall it and you will get a 32bit OS. When you uninstall it you will uninstall the leftover bits. Damn everyone should know this.

>However, as there is still some interest in keeping i686 alive, we would like to encourage the community to make it happen with our guidance.
>if you want it, do it yourself, we're lazy lol

Arch has always been about being simple- for the developers

I am an arch user for about 4 years. I just had to switch back to Lubuntu because when you enable the touchpad with libinput it disables your laptop keyboard. The scrolling and touchpad click works out of the box on FreeBSD. ON A FUCKING BSD. Arch was the best distro I ever used but it needs urgent intervention as some very neglectful and incompetent people took over the ports and management.

I use an IBM X60. It's 32bit. Both Arch and elementaryOS are dropping 32bit support, not that I use either of them.

I'm going to buy a t420 and throw Fedora on it soon.

Anything made in the last 8 years is 64bit. Nobody gives a shit about 32bit anymore.

> (OP)
>Anything made in the last 8 years is 64bit. Nobody gives a shit about 32bit anymore.

Try 10+

Ok libinput has some major flaws (this is why I don't use it) but you are FUCKING RETARDED JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

Interesting. I switched my T60p from Arch to OpenBSD a month or so ago. I could upgrade the CPU to a 64bit one also, though.

32 bit should have been deprecated a decade ago. there is absolutely no excuse, whatsoever, to still be utilizing a 32 bit processor in the this current age. the amount of users out there on 32 bit only are marginal, at best. iirc arch released stats stating ~6% of it user base on 32 bit arch, with ~4% using 64 bit capable processors.

you know arch has been going since 2002, right?

What a dumb picture, why would that fat fuck have any meetings lined up?

Why pacman crashes xorg.conf? That must be some meme

What the fuck? This is why no one takes Arch seriously besides desktop thread refugees.

Mu CPU still only uses a 16bit bus. Internally, it's a 32 processor.

It's not really a meme.

Used pacman -Sy ~10 times.
Arch fucked my computer up 3 times.

I was able to fix its issues once. The second time a boot/kernel issue appeared, I reinstalled Arch the Windows Way tm.

The third time that cocksucking system showed a problem I installed Ubuntu and have never been happier (ppas rock).

You must really have the Midas touch.
I used Arch for years and successfully updated every morning.

The only distro that's ever fucked up on me on a routine update was ubuntu. yes I've used arch.

Nigger you fucked up.
You have to do pacman -Suy.
You should have read the fucking manual!

Don't expect the nigger to remember everything, yup it was the system wide upgrade that fucked things up.

Had such a fuck up on Ubuntu too, 12.04 -> 14.04

wtf are you talking about?
what do you mean by "system wide upgrade"? Every update is system wide??

Kernel, unstable shit upgrade

I think you're full of shit. If a kernel misbehaves, just use the previous one. Or the LTS one. The kernel is really the least of your worries

I literally just finally got Arch working on my t430 after xorg wouldn't work. I hope Arch isn't a meme I literally have distro hopped for 2 months now I just want a lightweight bare bones system with i3 and only the packages I want no bloatware why is this impossible.

your mom

Even used chinkpads have x64
Literally a non issue

Well fuck, what am I going to run on my old Asus EEE netbook now? Amusingly enough I've never had any problems with Arch on that netbook. I guess I could just go to Debian since I've upgrade the hard drive and no longer have to worry about fitting everything in 4 GB.

Good thing I already switched to Gentoo about a month ago

It's not impossible. You take Debian minimal, deselect everything in the installer, then use apt to install the packages you want.

Debian Jessie + ICEWM
Or...
Compile your own version of Linux with special patches meant to give a performance boost for your hardware!

>ICEWM
I'd probably keep using i3. A tiling WM controlled by the keyboard makes a lot of sense on a netbook with a 9" screen and a small touchpad.

If i can use system that's consumes TWICE as less RAM, why wouldn't i use it? I don't have enough RAM for 64bit, especially with we browser.

How many people are actually still using 32 bit x86 processors outside of pre 2010 netbooks and UMPCs? Even the Thinkpad T60 line had 64 bit processors so long as you didn't purchase a bottom of the line model (the X60 line didn't though). It seems the only people who will be losing here are the people who still want a netbook with screen smaller than 10" or a UMPC and don't care about having worse hardware.

Sauce on those numbers?

ram usage. you may retort with
>muh CPU register memory
but in the real world theres no performance gain

why? coz isos are larger?

its not twice. its 1,3-1,4x at WORST

Plenty of distros are amd64 only

wowitsfuckingnothing.jpg

>cum stained 10 yeard old crapbooks no longer supported
OH NO WHAT WILL WE DO NOW
MAYBE SOME DISTRO LIKE TINYCORE OR PUPPY
WHICH IS WHAT YOU SHOULD ALREADY BEEN RUNNING ON YOUR NEETWARE ANYWAY

they dont deserve to be called distros

fedora is literally shit

i thought that they already dropped it years ago because it would only show a blank screen on a 32bit laptop that i have.

you are stupid. Those old PCs also have shitty HDDs. 32bit OSes make them extremely faster.
the best idea of course is that special kernel that runs 32bit binaries but itself is 64bit.
of course arch will be lazy to even run that.

this.

>Muh 32-bit is faster
You're pretty fucking stupid if you think this.
AMD64 (x86_64) allowed compilers to assume that a lot of extra instructions exist, which they couldn't before.
If you're using a 32-bit version of Linux, the binaries could only use the instructions that were available for i386/i686.
So unless you're compiling everything yourself with -march=native, performance is likely to be worse, not better.

>I run windows 10 on 32bit on very old PCs in the office

Literally an Indian.

>literally

You're not using this word correctly.

enjoy your dead distro Sup Forumscuck. embedded systems, established enterprise system and your autism against other races don't negate the fact 32bit support is fucking essential.

>i""""""""""""""""funny"""""""""""""""".co

If they weren't a bunch of lazy NEETs that want their users to do all the work, they would support the new x32 ABI (not x86 ABI) which is exceptional for old systems, it has all the advantages of lower RAM and HDD usage of avoiding the much bigger x64 binaries, but it also runs an 64bit kernel to take advantage of the newer instructions.

>much bigger
You're massively exaggerating that.
It's only a few percentage larger on average, because the pointers are larger.
Most of the other shit is still the same size.

>I'm a baby that never tried it.
Try it. We're talking about differences of the type 800MB VS 1200MB RAM usage on idle.
Those are tremendous differences on an 2GB PC especially if it also has a shitty HDD.

Don't listen to this faggot.

Hey, how do I know if I'm using libinput? There was an update with it last month if I remember correctly, and I didn't notice any change after reboot

t. Butthurt Pajeet

What advantages would Arch even have on an old 32bit machine anyway?
My T61 runs debian stable, there's no new software out there that would warrant a rolling release distro that would function properly on hardware that old

install gentoo

V O I D O S

or just install gentoo

Just use BSD.

I literally installed arch on a netbook 1 week before this announcement. Installed suse tumbleweed and it turned out to be really good.

you know ARM is also not an architecture arch supports
doesn't stop someone else making/maintaining support for it
if someone cares enough, they'll maintain their own 32bit repos (or you can use ABS)

AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
the distro is lazy enough as it is with doing nothing and waiting everything from the user. It would be audacious to suggest to them to port it too.
no.

you know i didn't just make that picture up, right? there is actually an unofficial ARM port of arch

>>if you want it, do it yourself, we're lazy lol

That's literally the point of FOSS you bandwagoning hipster.

If you need someone else to do it for you you're better off going the proprietary route