/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

WTF does do?
explainshell.com/

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Get freedom respecting computers:
gnu.org/links/companies.html

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
slackwiki.com/ZSH
howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html
catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's the actual reason for Arch no longer having GUI installer?

It's CIA Niggers, isn't it?

Thumbnail filepicker drives me crazy

this pasta suck, are you a troll?

What's the best way to install Arch Linux without fucking up/breaking anything?

What is the name of the osmo tray icon? It stands out from the other icons. I need the icon name so I can add it to the icon theme.

The installer was maintained by one guy.
He got mad and quit when there was a lot of major "manual intervention" changes to the filesystem and stuff.
There was a nice thank you message on the archlinux.org site afterwards.
Nobody stepped up to maintain it. But it never took you past the reboot and install the de/wm of your choice anyways.

Try arch-anywhere.

Avoid typos and improper commands.

Looks comfy, but I was thinking about installing it myself, is it really that hard?

just follow the beginners guide
it's pretty good documented
even retards can install arch
good luck

is slackware actually a bad distro? i hear it shittalked here a lot but no one ever seems to point out anything specific (except the manual dependency resolution stuff)
i've tried ever major distro save for gentoo and slackware and i haven't like any of them enough to continue using them

Kind of hard the first time around.
Nice to have a second device or computer to view the installation guide.

check in the according .desktop file

>Nice to have a second device or computer to view the installation guide.
The installation guide is always included with the live image.

Albeit a very condensed one.

It's the same one.

I have used Linux in the past, and am fairly competent with it. Not scared of the command line.

I've been told that towards the end of the year I'll be responsible for an embedded Linux hardware project, keeping the kernel and drivers for it maintained.

I have no experience here, so figured it'd be a good idea to use an arduino or similar to learn about embedded Linux. Anyone have some information I can start learning from?

I installed Ubuntu and I like it, but I installed Cinnamon and it's a far better DE than Unity. Should I just wipe Ubuntu and install Linux Mint instead?

This book is great for beginners linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

no, use Cinnamon with Debian

How can I make ubuntu run a command on startup?
I have a wacom tablet and I want it to turn the touch function off:
xsetwacom set 10 TOUCH off

Why?

put it in your bashrc

>xsetwacom
Oh sorry, I suppose that depends on X. Put that command in your ~/.xinitrc

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

because mint is unsecure, they mix packages from ubuntu and debian (which is never a good idea), it's unstable and there's absolutely no reason to use it because you can have cinnamon on a real distro like debian
also cinnamon is garbage, I'd go for xfce if I were you, but whatever

it's shite

I just like the way Cinnamon looks and can't into ricing. So then why should I switch from Ubuntu to Debian?

I should add that I'm not trolling, you seem helpful.

why would i ever want to use wayland over x

why would i ever want to use zsh over bash

Sweet. It used to be an optional package.
Do you remember what it's called?
I've forgotten.

why would I ever want to use blue over red

>user-friendly
When will this meme end?

Have a (You)

are you serious?

yes

'user-friendly' as in comes with binutils preinstalled

Is Mate any good? I get worried when I heard it's based on really old gnome code.

Is mpv any good? I get worried when I heard it's based on really old mplayer code.

Is communism any good? I get worried when I heard it's based on really old marxist code.

Save yourself some pain and use KDE, Cinnamon is a laggy, buggy piece of crapware.
Install kubuntu.

No, use xfce.

Why?

Yes. Mplayer is fine too.

What are you talking about?
There's a readme file in your ~

Nicer to view with my web browser of choice.

Sure.

Since you can tell I don't know much:
If I install the new KDE, can I uninstall Unity and not break my Ubuntu installation?

Why do these threads lack images? This is an imageboard.

I haven't installed Arch for a few years. The first time It still had a graphical installer. And I installed 2 or 3 times without. I remember when the install guide was first avialable.

*first available as an installable package.

b/c no thumbnails in our filepickers

you wouldn't
zsh is for nu-male faggots/webdevelopers that sit in cofee shops with their apple computers and iphones
it's so fucking bloated it even has tetris built in

You can, but it might be easier to just go with kubuntu.
kubuntu is built to run with KDE.
You shouldn't have any problems.

I mean, since I'm already running Ubuntu, I might as well just purge Unity, right?

Maybe this is the best place to ask:

I have a Windows PC and an Arch Linux laptop. Is there anyway for me to use my laptop as monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc. for my PC? I'm envisioning something similar to how the Wii U game pad would be used to render and control a separate view from the TV.

idk guys, so many distro, so many averages and flaws, which is the best to sattle on?
all i want is:
- no breakage
- fresh packages
- good security

Red Hat Enterprise

Thinking of installing a distro on my wife's laptop. What would be a good option? Also what would be the best methods for adjusting power and heat options? I noticed Ubuntu on my desktop and mint on my old laptop had bad habits of heating my shit up and killing my power on the laptop.

Ubuntu

anyone ever pirated RHEL?
i'm curious how it looks like
is there a gratis test version?

You might.

>pirating
how about you just pay for the things you want instead of spoiling yourself you damned millennial

using rhel is like buying helvetica instead of just using arial
only retarded businesses do this

well, (very) long story short:
X.org it's a mess of a display server, originally released somewhere in the 80s, and kept "updated" by trowing more code over the previous mess resulting in a bad functioning, outdated and incredibly unsafe, pile of legacy bullshit to the point where the only way to get basic thing working (like vsync just to cite one) is to implement them in a separate software built over it to work around its shortages or just directly in the driver.

Wayland is the effort to solve this situation.

>it's so fucking bloated it even has tetris built in

>pirated
You mean sharing informations with friends?

what is a distro besides arch that comes with less than 1000 fucking packages on install

he wasn't even kidding
slackwiki.com/ZSH

LFS

>it's so fucking bloated it even has tetris built in
fucking this.

I don't need another tetris installed on my machine.
My text editor already features one

what is a distro besides arch that comes with less than 1000 fucking packages on install that a braindead monkey such as myself can install without hours of configuration

zshills will defend this

that's what you get for not using vim

vim mustard race

what's wrong with xorg?

that would be a downgrade honestly

>but i need an operating system for my operating system!
daily reminder that real powerusers seek to reduce their software redundancy

straight up why isn't emacs it's own fsf-supported distro at this point

nothing

>daily reminder that real powerusers seek to reduce their software redundancy
Yeah my workflow doesn't require anything BUT emacs.
Who's redundant now?

Daily reminder that vimfags will never, ever be granted tramp mode and the ability to edit remote files on every network-capable machine on the planet.

>daily reminder that real powerusers seek to reduce their software redundancy

Emacs being an OS is a meme.
It's not an OS yet.

But, can be used as a window manager or even DE howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html

>his work requires him to edit remote files on every network-capable machine on the planet
yeah, sure buddy. tell Jesus i said, "hi"

that's a different icon from the tray.

You're just jealous.

Vimfags are all about muhhhhhhhh simplicity but then stack shitpiles of plugins over a shitpile of plugins just to get half the features of Emacs.

>Remote editing?
Sorry can't do, minimalism
>Server/client architecture?
Sorry can't do, minimalism
>A proper package manager so you don't have to fiddle with plugins all day?
Sorry can't do, minimalism :)
>Sup Forums browser?
sorry can't do

A desktop environment without any graphical environment can be replied with some applications like GNU Screen for window management, Byoubu for information bar, slmenu for application launcher, and some scripts for things like screenshots and screen recording.

Some applications like web browsers are hard, but I trust NetSurf can be enough to let me post on Sup Forums and fbpdf to view ebooks.

Remember that mpv has a framebuffer option, so video too is solved.

Anyone else making a GUI-less setup?

No, but make sure to document your setup throoughly, I would like to see how it looks and functions

Will do.

Thanks to Screen we have options for key binding too, and I am working on some framebuffer scripts for screenshots and screen recording. You can help:

screenshots
avconv -f alsa -f fbdev -r 30 -i /dev/fb0 screencast.webm
screen recording
avconv -f fbdev -frames:v 1 -r 1 -i /dev/fb0 screenshot.jpeg

I am obviously no wizard so critics are welcome.

I'm not trolling with this question, but how does one become a hacker? Should I learn C/C++ and web security of some sort? I know this is very unrelated to the topic at hand but since it's the friendliest general I thought I could get something out of it. Would being a sysadmin help? Anyways, thanks for any help.

>GNU Screen
I hope you meant tmux

underage b&

>tmux
I hope you are confused

install gentoo (not even meming)

install Arch Linux (totally meming)

first read catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

then install gentoo, seriously, is not a joke

catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

hack a gipson

y-you too

i'm going to edit your post so future viewers don't have to try and digest the nonsense you just vomitted up
for context, this is all in response to a post about reducing software redundancy

>Vimfags are [insert mischaracterization of vimfags] but then [add the things they want as they need them instead of downloading them and extra, redundant stuff from the get-go] just to get half the features of Emacs.

>Remote editing?
[SSH allows it but Emacs has it too]
>Server/client architecture?
[unnecessary but Emacs has it]
>A proper package manager so you don't have to fiddle with plugins all day?
[implies everyone wants plugins, and ignores the presence of p gud vim plugin manager plugins]
>Sup Forums browser?
[you have a browser already but Emacs has it too]

enjoy your unnecessary redundancy :^)

hack the gimpson