Daily reminder that anyone who complains about telemetry in Windows 10 is technologically illiterate

Daily reminder that anyone who complains about telemetry in Windows 10 is technologically illiterate.
How hard is it to follow simple instructions?

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization
technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/manage/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services

>mfw all these people using a deprecated os that is no longer supported by latest cpus

Doesn't matter. Lincucks don't realize their Android phones and iPhones so more damage to their privacy. And their Gmail accounts. Tools.

>This particular system has privacy issues
>I know, lets get advice on the system developers how to solve that
>implying malware isn't built into the system by default and you can get rid of that

>Control. We offer customers control of the telemetry they share with us by providing easy-to-use management tools
>No content-based targeting. We take steps to avoid and minimize the collection of customer content, such as the content of files, chats, or emails, through the Windows telemetry system. Customer content inadvertently collected is kept confidential and not used for user targeting.

That implies anyone on Sup Forums actually trusts the Google botnet
>IT'S OVER, GOOGLE IS FINISHED

STOP LAFFIN

>we offer a way to easily disable all telemetry
>that's somehow funny

You can trust corporations. After all, they have your best interests in mind, right? Right?

Doesn't help when the shit comes back after every update.

I lost all interest in windows 10 after seeing what a shitshow it has become:

>updates randomly break shit because pajeets don't test them for breakages anymore
>can't even opt-out of specific updates anymore because they're bundled together and the updater forces you to install them
>can't even postpone updates
>tried to force everyone to install windows 10 against their will with literal malware because it sucked shit so bad no one wanted it
>hideous
>filled with ads for garbage like mobile games

>run Windows update
>telemetry turns back on
Oh well, I suppose I can turn off updates for a while.

...oh wait

>Doesn't help when the shit comes back after every update.
>>run Windows update
>>telemetry turns back on
Never happened here and I've had this install for over a year.

>>can't even postpone updates
>>filled with ads for garbage like mobile games
>Oh well, I suppose I can turn off updates for a while.
>...oh wait
Confirmed illiterate.

Updates can be delayed but never turned off.

>1461611005876.png
Can I see a screenshot of this from your computer for the updates? Preferably with a Sup Forums timestamp in notepad?

You can only disable updates on enterprise editions.

op is a faggot

That isn't enough you have to disable a SHITLOAD of services and they all turn back on if you reboot.

>he does it for free

That only applies to Home editions, no idea why you'd run that.

I use the randomize filename option in Sup Forums-x.
No idea how this proves anything though.

Hi pissphone. I had no settings reverted, ever.

Daily reminder Inderjeet must poo in the loo.

>randomize filename
Isn't that a unix timestamp?

It also applies to Pro editions.
You can only turn off updates on Windows Server.

>thinking you can trust a closed source software which slips malicious features by default

>to Home editions
all edition other than enterprise, which you cant legally buy you mean. Without a bulk license.

Do they get the contents of your files? Yes.
If the NSA, FBI come knocking can microsoft refuse to give them ALL the data they have? No.

Pic related.

I'm running Enterprise so I can't say whether or not it works on Pro.

>Do they get the contents of your files? Yes.
Source for that?

What an odd feature. I always like to name my images meme text, or just image.png

Daily reminder that Microsoft will never release Windows as free (libre) software because then people would expose not just the telemetry but all the other nefarious things that are contained within it. Call me when the source code is released publicly.

Also

>Caring about "the latest cpus"
>Using an operating system solely because intel paid the developer to use their hardware lockdown bullshit

Pleb

Step 1: Get user's data.
Step2: Change the terms of services to give yourself more liberty with what you can do with your users data.

It happened with google, facebook, apple and pretty much every other company

Having users data right there on your servers and not monetizing it is a tempation too strong for a modern company.

EULA

Daily reminder that if you don't utilize the terminal in a GNU+Linux system, you aren't really using GNU+Linux.

It's just sad at this point how hard you try to defend micropoo 10.

It doesn't.

Every time I remote into this box my blood pressure spikes.

if you have to go through all this bullshit to make windows usable, you may as well go linux

>Source for that?

Nigger read the first link in Op post

>We take steps to avoid and minimize the collection of customer content, such as the content of files

Trying to minimize the collection of files content means they get it.

I'm starting to think the problem with people on Sup Forums who are fine with """""telemetry"""" just can't read.

I would normally be convinced about this kind of thing with hard evidence as presented.

But since the summer of 2015, and especially around the time of the Windows 10 release that summer, there have probably been hundreds of threads compaining about the W10 botnet. Some complaints were the features you turned off for privacy/common sense would turn back on automatically, you can't pick which updates to install/to opt out of, and there are personalized ads.

Am I paranoid? Very. But nonetheless, Microsoft doesn't have your best interests in mind always, they have what is profitable, or what is compliant with law enforcement.

Sometimes, if people shitpost about a cause for long enough, it will embed into peoples mind as indisputably real.

>Trying to minimize the collection of files content means they get it.
They get file contents from crash memory dumps. Don't send them crash memory dumps. If you're worried about sending them your cp you can disable that even on the home version by setting the telemetry level to "basic".

But I can use console linux applications on Windows too.

>all these people using a deprecated os that is no longer supported by latest cpus
>mfw when you are okay with this practice

Still subpar font rendering.

>>mfw all these people using a deprecated os that is no longer supported by latest cpus
I wont support the latest CPUs with my money. Their loss not mine.

You are absolutely write you can.
>can
But it is not nearly as comfy. I could use ls and cd as my daily file manager easily from GNU/Linux, but trying it from cygwin or cmd is much harder. Mostly because you are essentially stuck with the command line tools you have-- there aren't nearly as many available as on other systems.

Also, the lack of a package manager is an automatic divide by two on the comfiness scale.

that's anti semitic goy.

I run an 8 year old Phenom II and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon. I was somewhat interested in Zen but AMD just ruined all that by caving to Microsoft's demands.

>not nearly as comfy
>lack of a package manager
You don't seem to be up to date with the new functionality that was added to Windows.

windows 7 for srs bsns
windows 10 for play

last night i was like "i'll just leave my shit on and download steam games to my new fuck hueg HDD"

woke up, see pc has restarted, game half downloaded.

oh, windows nintendos, you.

>linking to technet
>not linking to blackbird

>application that disables shit at random and modifies your hosts file
>official documentation

>not knowing that blackbird does not modify your HOSTS file
>thinking Security level is disabling telemetry
>not at least posting a link that shows us how to disable the corresponding services
>complains about other people being tech illiterates

>>not knowing that blackbird does not modify your HOSTS file
>persistent routes
Still not better than simply toggling a setting.

>>thinking Security level is disabling telemetry
>>not at least posting a link that shows us how to disable the corresponding services
You didn't read the second link or more than the first few sentences of the first link.

Persistent routes works; HOSTS doesn't because it is bypassed. Also, using blackbird is toggling various settings; I am not asking you to configure your persistent routes manually.

Quoting first site:
"The Security level gathers only the telemetry info that is required to keep Windows devices..."

As for your second link, there were zero mentions of DiagTrack/dmwpushappsvc etc. Services as in services.msc, not as in services provided by Microsoft to you.

>"The Security level gathers only the telemetry info that is required to keep Windows devices..."
...up to date, yeah.
And then it continues to explain how to disable that too. At the end of the day you can't really update without connecting to microsoft with at least one machine so I don't see the issue.

>there were zero mentions of DiagTrack/dmwpushappsvc
DiagTrack is now called "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Properties" so even if they were mentioning exact service names it wouldn't be called DiagTrack.
With that said both of those are disabled here and I never disabled them manually so I think it's reasonable to assume that they are disabled as a result of the group policy settings I have applied.

You're full of shit.

>the default shill picture
>openly shilling unstable NSA horse shit
Fuck right off.

Daily reminder you're a cuck.
Install gentoo.

Telemetry is telemetry, just because it is required, or 'required' does not make it something else.

Disabling it by turning off Windows Update/use WSUS? Then you don't need to set the level to anything, simply disable the services for telemetry and windows update and you are done.

Disabling it by disconnecting from the Internet? You don't need to configure jack.

>DiagTrack is now called "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Properties" so even if they were mentioning exact service names it wouldn't be called DiagTrack.

Yes which is why I said etc afterwards.

Moreover, you didn't even bother searching that phrase/even part of that phrase in the site. It simply doesn't exist in the second article. It does in the first article, but only how it works when various telemetry levels are applied.

>With that said both of those are disabled here and I never disabled them manually so I think it's reasonable to assume that they are disabled as a result of the group policy settings I have applied.
>I think it's reasonable to assume

Proof or it didn't happen. There were no mentions with a Google search, nor a quick browsing of group policy on a Windows 10 machine of any policy that actually sets the services to 'disabled'. Windows simply use the services less often as you turn the telemetry settings down.

You are literally grasping on straws right now.

DELET THIS

>still being too poor and illiterate to use the computing haven which is macOS

This... just damnit...

Why can't there be an OS that just works and is compatible with everything I could want?

Is that too much to ask?

Learn to recognize the signs.

>using an OS that has to be configured to that extent on a fresh install just to not spy on you and also be useful to the extent of its predecessors

How about fuck off.

unironically macOS if you get the hackintosh hardware bless or buy a 2015 macbook.

>mfw cpus have barely advanced since I bought my tower 4 years ago
>mfw I will never need to stop using 7
>mfw if god forbid 7 is entirely deprecated I can just use the internet to find community patches
>mfw I will never need to use botnet OS
>mfw I haven't bought any hardware upgrades for the past 4 years beyond graphics cards and it still boots in 3 seconds.

Actually, it is too much to ask. With everything, you have to compromise on something. Hell, even dropping "just works" and keeping "is compatible with everything I could want" is unrealistic.

>bantzes windows
>jpg
>JPG
>JPEG??!?!?!?!

days taken to configure windows 10, to make it useable 1.5, removal of bloat
ongoing maintenance to windows 10 to stop it doing things you don't want

>Daily reminder that anyone who complains about telemetry in Windows 10 is technologically illiterate.
>How hard is it to follow simple instructions?
It's not a matter of how difficult it is, I shouldn't have to do that shit at all.

if only linux wasn't a horrible desktop experience I would have switched years ago.

FPBP

>run easy-to-find debloat scripts
>everything i dont like is turned off
OP is right

>firefox sends all urls you enter into the omnibar to google

>ubuntu sends (((telemetry))) to amazon

>android sends all of your location and browsing data to google servers

>freetards

>not being 100% comfy and at home on any OS
plebs

>Windows nintendos
What the fuck

Nor will I, I will never buy a new computer or CPU with management engine backdoors.

He's saying that the only people who have a reason to use Windows are those into gaymen.

Windows is a Nintendo.

the telemetry is never actually turned off. the option is just a false sense of security and data packs being sent can be monitored weather microsoft likes it or not by any one with a data rate plan instead of unlimited internet which some regions have more commonly

>Daily reminder that anyone who uses Windows 10 is technologically illiterate.

FTFY

I've no idea how people manage to set up a usable arch desktop if they can't go through services, group policy and scheduled tasks to turn useless/annoying/malicious shit off, and type few lines in powershell to delete all the bloat. Boggles my mind. Was 2016 the year linux desktop finally got more user friendly than windows?

>buh buh buh it can't be disabled
Yes it can, just not by moving pretty sliders. And you lose Windows Update.

SHITTING
IN
THE
STREETS

/thred
win10 is ded

My laptop came with windows 7 but I downloaded 10win education from uni and using it. Should I consider going back to Win7. I don't game much but I do use a lot of stuff that is exclusive to windows for uni.

I know every OS has backdoors if they specifically target you with a warrant but does MacOS have the same type of telemetry issues as Windows 10?

Unclear. The full scope of Win10's data collection isn't known yet, but it is known that OSX will collect data on Spotlight and Safari searches (as well as any data they interact with), your location, information passed through the Mail app, unsaved files made via Apple programs, and can possibly tie this information in with a unique identifier they also collect.

As with Win10, all of this can be disabled.

For both MacOS and Win10, has anyone ever tried disabling the telemetry as much as possible and then looking at something like wireshark to see if it's actually disabled? Because I always see people saying turning it off doesn't really turn it off.

YOU CAN'T DISABLE IT FULLY,
YOU FUCKING DICKHEAD FAGGOT.

>the telemetry is never actually turned off
There is proof in the form of official documentation that it can be turned off. If that turned out to not be true it would hurt their corporate sales.
The burden of proof is on you.

Yes, and it's generally why programs like ShutUp10 and W10Privacy exist for Windows, and why documentation like the Security and Privacy Guide exist for OSX.

Disabling these settings won't fully turn off the respective telemetry services; Microsoft even admits to this in their case.

Wifi sense has been removed from windows FYI

That screenshot doesn't show that things like online search, windows updates, windows defender updates, time sync and application compatibility reports are also disabled.

Technically this is correct, but blocking these services from connecting to MS servers invalidates the point anyway.

>blackbird
>using a closed source application to manage privacy of a closed source operating system
Retarded anime poster.

STILL DELUSIONAL?
HOW MANY OPTIONS SHOULD I DISABLE TO STOP THIS SHIT LIKE IN WINDOWS 7 WITHOUT BOTNET PATCHES AND UPDATES?
RIDICULOUS...

These are neither related nor your own screenshots.

YEP, THERE ARE NOT MY SCREENSHOTS,
BECAUSE I REINSTALLED WINDOWS 7,
NO NEED BOTNET SHIT ON MY PC

You're literally just parroting shit you've read on Sup Forums

>if I type it all out in caps it'll make it true
Next up - insults. Stay tuned for more.