Pale Moon

Furry Moon now supports Firefox SDK addons. Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/58714547
youtube.com/html5
addons.palemoon.org/extensions/guerilla-scripting/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why should anyone use this fork?

i dont care

It's a real fork of SJWfox, not just a reskin. i.e. it actually diverged from the Firefox code.

>furry moon
hahaha love it. i get it, lol

The unstable branch supports SDK addons, not mainline. It's Coming Soon(TM).

If you use the unstable branch, you'll need to either edit the addon's manifest or use Moon Tester Tool.

Fun Fact:

The reason that it is called "Furry Moon" is because the developer is a furry. He calls himself moonchild, and is a werewolf brand furry. Because of his desires to howl at the moon as his "true self"; he chose the name "Pale Moon" (At least this is how Sup Forums sees it, I personally think moonchild is a pretty based dude, and Pale Moon is an incredible browser)

What's wrong with Pale Moon objectively, furry memes aside?

Literally nothing.

it's shit

Sure, it doesn't support html5, css3, or es6 but why is it shit?

Pretty sure it does

fucking love pale moon

if any of that is true he sounds like a god damned faggot
regardless, he made a useable firefox fork so he's alright in my book
i love palemoon

this update makes it the best fork

Best web browser now, as in actual browser not javascript mobweb engine. Sound compartmentalized security philosophy is sound. Community is pleasant if somewhat fur-orientated.

The legacy of two decades of full-blown PC web browser application development now retained and maintained by this single project. Sucks but there it is.

Does it support HTML5 videos above 720p yet or 60FPS? That was the thing that drew me away from it.

>Does it support HTML5 videos above 720p
It has for quite a while.

It's great. It'd be impossible to go back to the piece of shit that is Firefox after using PM.
I often see retards on Sup Forums calling it "placebo" which I don't understand, the only explanation is them only having used it for 10 minutes, if at all, or memes.

I use it because I like being a hipster.

>t doesn't support html5, css3, or es6
but it does

it does look like shit. it's like I'm on vista/xp/2005 internet again.

>implying you can't change theme and stuff

>caring about looks

but

it takes them way too long to apply security updates. if there is a firefox 0day in the wild and mozilla fixes it the same day, palememe will only get it in a month or so.

It was made by a furry? One more reason not to use it.

I don't think Sup Forums cares about that. People here believe in using outdated software, and software that doesn't get updates.

Never worked for me on Linux until now with the 27.1 update because they switched from gstreamer to plain ffmpeg.

>Uses custom engine and not gecko
>Will continue to support XUL and XCOM
This browser is going to replace firefox when firefox fully replaces XUL with webextensions.

>implying that's a bad thing

this is why forks are shit

There is any reason to use this browser over seamonkey?

>The unstable branch supports SDK addons, not mainline. It's Coming Soon(TM).
It was updated yesterday to stable.

There's no way they could get it the same day.

The Mozilla security team purposely slows down the process of letting out these patches. Even then most updates are within a week or so.

SeaMonkey is actually dead. Half the team are apathetic about the situation and the rest don't have anywhere to go.

>it's dead, Jim

Also >captcha

>There is any reason to use this browser over cyberfox?

Cyberfox is a very shallow fork of Firefox, so when FF kills XUL extensions, so too will it.

Seamonkey still uses the aging old gecko engine

A worthless fork made by one guy that nobody uses and offers no advantages over regular firefox.

if you want an actual fork of firefox (with all the bugs & possibilities that comes along with it), then pale moon is your best bet.

if you just want an hipster placebo that comes with an rebranded interface + tweaks you can easily do yourself in vanillafox, then try out waterfox or cyberfox.

if you want an well-balanced alternative to chrome that's only borderline botnet, then hang on to firefox until further notice. it really is the best all-around browser for non-plebians.

my only issue so far is that it seems i can't open catalog links in a new tab, anyone experience this?

7,5GB free wasn't enough to compile. Will it use less ram if i remove the optimizations? GCC 5.*

>GCC 5.*
Unstable. You must use 4.9.

I use PaleMoon because it is blazing fast with NoScript and my whitelist. Faster than Chrome with umatrix.

But every time I enable javascript globally I am reminded how shitty palemoon actually is when handling js

>newtab options in preferences
> can remove the annoying option button (next to addons) by default
>no SJW bullshit
>regular updates

I know, the name is cringey as fuck but It's still better than Firefox' propaganda.
Hopefully they will stray from Mozilla's path regarding XUL extensions as they have with newtab options

random sites not working
youtube in full hd not working
youtube crashing tge browser till i blocked googlevideo cdn

keep us posted

Media Source Extensions were implemented starting v27 but it's still pretty crappy at v27.0.3. For example Soundcloud stutters. MSE can be turned off to revert to older media playback. It handles better.

palemoon doesnt support jetpack extensions anymore though

Because it tries to replicate the Firefox 3.* interface which was objectively the worst Firefox ever

I hate how Firefox 3.* is treated by some as the gold standard of browsers when it was so bloated, slow, unstable and incompatible that is the only reason things like webkit and chrome gained traction

Fuck Firefox 3.* and those that are trying to bring it back

It's still shit

Hey nigs

Now that they switched to ffmpeg for video playback on Linux, I noticed YouTube videos weren't working anymore.

Soon, I found out my uMatrix settings were the problem.
They worked perfectly fine with gstreamer but now I had to adjust my settings to work again.

Precisely, I am talking about the *.googlevideo.com XHRs shown in the image. Those weren't even there before the update and it doesn't really make sense to me why they are there now and required for video playback.
Any ideas why gstreamer works without them but ffmpeg does not?

i use seamonkey for years now , never had problems with it . always working good with low resources use.

Just use youtube-dl like everyone else.

so what's the deal of this browser? unsecure firefox fork that tries to play catch-up with firefox features?

You mean downloading the video before watching?
Sounds tedious with a shitty connection like mine.

I don't mind allowing the additonal requests, just curious why they appear now.

I've never had sites not work and youtube is fucking garbage.

I got no problems with palemoon. It does the job.

you can download or stream with a media player. mpv works well with it.

>you literally have to use another application just to watch youtube videos
there is not even a single reason for anyone to use palemoon instead of firefox. gtfo with this hipster shit

It's worth noting that PM 27.1 released yesterday and it brings several improvements for media and extensions...

If something didn't work before, it could very well work now.

Why would you think you have to do that?
Videos work fine.

It's way more comfy to watch videos in a real video player. I do this for every Youtube video longer than 5 minutes.

>Firefox SDK addons
i tried websearching this but i dont think i understand

what are the non-sdk-addon X sdk-addons?
is there a way to differentiate both from the catalog at addon.mozilla.com ?

Waiting for "Watch with mpv" to be compatible with PM

by any change is it just opengl canvas, video decoding and other faggotry that shouldn't even be part of w3c standards?

html5 complyance isn't just rendering layout and content written in html5 markup

Which is great until you want to watch a livestream.

>random sites not working
really?
probably one of those mega bloated?

>youtube
you should have a browser profile dedicated for each superbloat mainstream site out there, might as well just run youtube on a regular firefox with videos playing on external program

and another profile with autoplay disabled, to browse and grab links, to then download with addons by user inBasic, or dump on the programs youtubeDL or Jdownloader

...i would create some profiles with lots of shit disabled and greasemonkey some scripts to browse instag faceb etc, personally i just F in the youtub profile once a month so i dont bother

mpv works with streams though

You can manually make it compatible yourself with a small modifications:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/58714547

I dropped Palemoon because the developer isn't good enough. He's too slow with everything. It got to the point where websites were screaming at me saying I was using an outdated browser and I waited over a week thinking "ah, he'll update this soon" and it never fucking happened, so I ended up switching to Waterfox for the time being. Still not happy. Fucking Mozilla just had to pull this bullshit. This is a classic example of trying to fix what ain't broke.

youtube.com/html5
everything seems supported now. google might differentiate depending on support. I do remember I also had to whitelist googlevideo at some point

anything but ffmpeg was a slideshow for me, so I'm glad gstreamer was cut out

>profiles
that's what I do. one profile for youtube/nicovideo/other nip streaming sites, including flash.

Who /pentadactyl/ here?

But it now doesn't work with 4chanx

Pls respond

Yes, greasemonkey works

FYI you have to use an old version of GreaseMonkey.

...though it's not like the newer versions really add much of anything.

Alternatively you can use Guerilla Scripting:
addons.palemoon.org/extensions/guerilla-scripting/