/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 6500/7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build.
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo.
>Consider a H110/B150 (need BIOS update BEFORE installing CPU) or B250 mobo for any Pentium or i3 build.
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build.
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050Ti, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB
>Wait to buy until after Ryzen launch in very early March.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/kW4Ljc
pcpartpicker.com/list/TPzVCy
choosemypc.net/
pcpartpicker.com/list/YqZZr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/KZzVCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/d3Nbd6
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230180
pcpartpicker.com/list/W3v9Fd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>putting the cooler baseplate on the tabletop
my 'tism

why does my house smell like rotten eggs every time i use the oven?

I don't know user, try lighting some scented candles to get rid of the smell :^)

>putting the CPU pads down on the table top
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build.
I have a WD Caviar Black HDD. It runs a little loud, but loads very quickly, like a medium end SSD. Only problem is the first five minutes of startup, but my LED's keep me patient.

Are hybrid drives any better than regular HDDs? Found a 1TB for 80 bucks, it's always double that for SSDs...

Can some one recommend me a decent 700-800 watt psu? My current 600w isn't going to be enough when I upgrade my system. (I have 2 ssd(s), 4 hard drives, and will purchase a 1070 soon)

Rate my parts. (used mainly for digital art and gaymen - not overclocking)
pcpartpicker.com/list/kW4Ljc

feel free to post any changes you feel it needs but I want that 1070

For those of you who are currently building, how are your builds coming along?

I've got the case, GPU, RAM, and a few other things but I'm waiting about a week before I purchase my motherboard/CPU/cooler/etc.

SeaSonic and the vendors that buy from them are usually all good choices

I'm running a R9 270X. What's a good upgrade for playing newer games on high-ultra settings, but FHD only? Not planning to go 4k anytime soon.

I'm always building.

I'm going to buy another case fan next week and I'm saving up for another HDD.

The EVGA 750GQ comes in at a good price and it's from a top OEM (FSP). I have the 650W model. Nice and quiet and feels like quality.

EVGA G2's

Looks pretty fucking good

Which HDD are you going to get?

Budget? And country?

what are the most silent, performant (cooling wise) and beautiful cases for under 150$?

Got my eye on the define S for silent and performant but it's not exactly pretty.

that ram is fucking huge

Thank you kind Anony(s).

tried to keep them under $1500 straya doleridoos

I agree

Flip flopping between a WD Red and an HGST drive. I want something quiet, but I also want reliability. Either way, it'll be a 4-6TB multi-platter drive.

Will an rx 470 and i5 3570 run arma 3 ultra smooth?

>H110/B150 (need BIOS update BEFORE installing CPU

What does this mean?
First time builder here. BIOS setup seems the most scary part to me. Ive been binge watching "How to build PC" videos and they rarely cover BIOS setup.
Am I just over reacting? Or is it a crucial part building that I should spend time studying?

>Will ---insert any parts list--- run arma 3 ultra smooth?
no

We're all waiting for ryzen right? Nobody's buying a build in that price range right now hopefully

bios usually sets itself up unless your mobo is 15 yrs old or something
if you install an unsupported CPU the system will boot but then act stupid and crash so u gotta update your bios beforehand

Case sound dampening is kind of a meme. Quiet components make more of a difference.

That said, the US market doesn't have much in the way of "premium" cases that look clean and beautiful. There's Lian Li, but they lack features.

>tfw video game console assembly general thread

>buy a case that is just a black box because i dont want flashy gaymur shit
>ends up being of shit build quality
why are all the good cases targeted to gaymers?

>why are all the good cases targeted to gaymers?
Define "good".

screw holes lining up for instance

Alright thanks. So its just a compatibility issue. I'll keep that in mind when shopping - and also do more research.

Join the club.

dont flashy lights on gear add to the heat and power drain (albeit a small but still..)

pcpartpicker.com/list/TPzVCy
Going for a "White-Out" theme. budget is where it's at. It's for gaming, and I live in USA. Gaming as in AAA Games at 1440p/144Hz. Any optimizations?

because they're the ones buying the motherboards designed to be overclocked, the 1080s in SLI, the $150 RGB keyboards, the flashy cases, etc. It's not really a terrible thing because the technology evolves more rapidly with the increase in demand, but I do agree that the flashy lifestyle is a big tasteless.

That being said, as someone who doesn't want RGB keyboards or a ton of LED fans or anything, I don't think there is anything wrong with subtle ambient case lighting just to highlight the pieces you have. I mean shit, there's like $3,000 invested in some of these cases.

I'm getting back ~$2000 on my tax return this year and I'm finally going to begin building my gaymen PC that I've been putting off for literally 3 years now.

Guess I'll be lurking these threads, though my plan was to just go by the Logical Increments guide.

yes, but very small. if your whole system was lit like a Christmas tree you might be using 10 watts.

Anything electric does

Cooler comes with it's own thermal paste

You can scale down the case. a full tower is to hold multiple graphics cards and a ton of hard drives. Phanteks builds some attractive mid-ATX and even ITX cases if that's something you're into.

>fuckhuge GTX 1080 doesn't come with a prop to prevent GPU sag
Nice '''''premium''''' product.

Noctua includes thermal paste already and it's top-tier as well, with enough for a ton of applications.
There's a real lack of minimal cases with premium build quality that also have conveniences like dust filters. You have to go boutique for that kind of shit.

If you don't have thunderbolt 3, have VGA on your motherboard, don't have wifi or Bluetooth built into your mobo or with a PCIE card, use anything besides 4 pin fan headers or can't control your fans with software, you may as well throw your shit in the trash.

I don't understand why this hobby is so held back by holding onto proprietary/traditional shiz. Fuck your proprietary BIOS, fuck your random manufacturer motherboard "features", fuck your proprietary drivers.

so Ryzen is trash? it won't have TB3

what about fractal design? or do they not have good build quality.

I just ordered a 1070 and a 7700k

Will a 750watt corsair be enough?

Logical Increments is good.
But also try this:

choosemypc.net/

It helps to give first time builders are build to work around.
Then you can add/change things until youre happy.

IMO yes. HDMI needs to die by the way, forgot to mention that.

I appreciate the fact we can "build" these things but there just aren't any standards whatsoever.

First of all, get evga 600b. Its $40 cheaper. No one gives a shit if 80+ gold, its 80+ bronze. Secondly, if you can cut down your pircies a bit and get a smaller drive, you could get a m.2 drive. Would recommend. Lastly, pretty sure your cooler already comes with a compound.

pcpartpicker.com/list/YqZZr7
(I have already have a 1TB SSD)

Is the Strafe just a meme keyboard? If it is, what's a better, quiet mechanical keyboard?

Fractal design is top tier for build quality, the r5 has been used by almost every tech reviewer as a test case at some point

Theyre not chosen that often due to cost for the simple they are. They're basically just metal boxes and people want more style for their money.

A bit overkill - but maybe youre future-proofing for a more powerful build later on?

Thanks yo. I'm not a noob when it comes to HW, I generally know what's what, I just need to know what the current hot items are right now for reliability and performance.

I'll be sure to cross compare all these things though.

What do you mean more powerful? According to the hierarchies, the 1070 is like the 3rd best card available and the 7700k is the best consumer chip from this generation

Maybe a better question is what kind of specs would someone need for a 1000+ watt power supply?

>I don't understand why this hobby is so held back by holding onto proprietary/traditional shiz
You can look at the guitar hobby for that.
>computer parts
>no standards
I own an R5 and a Node 304. The 304 has a nice aluminum front panel facade, but the rest is all plastic and thin-ish steel. R5 had a disappointing looking and feeling front panel. Same thin-ish steel as well. Plastic top too left me wanting something more. That's not to say both aren't solidly built, I'm just saying that I want something more, especially when we're getting laptop chassis made fully out of aluminum and carbon fiber.

I'd hope intel would make some kind of PCIe TB3 add-in card, but I'm not holding my breath.
I don't use WiFi or Bluetooth on my desktop
5 pin fan headers are a thing now with RGB though right?

pcpartpicker.com/list/KZzVCy
Got you a cheaper psu. Pretty sur eyou dont need the extra 50 watts. Also what is your budget?

4 way SLI? I dont know

>dont have wifi or Bluetooth built in
This cunt relies on wireless. What a fucking normie

case is a bit large for the build, what inclines you to get a full tower?

it would be more than enough. in case you ever want to go SLI you'll have enough juice.

AHHHHHHH FUCK

The H100i v2 stock fans even at their lowest RPM configuration have this base sound you can always hear

I need to figure out replacement fans. Would corsair maglev fans be any more quiet at their lowest speeds? I don't want to do poo fans because this is a glass meme (don't do this) and you have to pay attention to aesthetics of parts.

so sound dampening foam isn't so silent? Should I be looking mainly for spaces to fit larger, quieter fans in there?

I'd go with tempered glass but I'm afraid it wont be as silent a the Define S

look to be about as big as a 8400gs or old firepro lol
google psu tier list. buy tier 1-2. I have SS>>H110/B150 (need BIOS update BEFORE installing CPU
You will need a skylake cpu or a shop with spl programmer to update bios, you cant post with a kaby. just get a 200 series board if you're going 7th gen for ddr4 2400 support.

missing a pci slot cover after selling soundcard in used system.

screen covers or solid
>mah 'tism

pcpartpicker.com/list/d3Nbd6
>paying for OS
>optical drives

I'm curious if you guys find any compatibility issues etc... I think it'll be my new build over this prebuilt I've been eyeballing. Similar prices, too.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230180

I'll look into it, thanks.
But how is the AMD software compared to Nvidia? Are they on the same level? And a few years ago, using an AMD GPU with an Intel CPU could lead to performance drops, is it better now?

All software is shit, it's all personal preference at this point.

what advantages does an SSD stand to get me over a hard disk? is it really just faster boot times or are there other reasons to get one?

Try finding some Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15.
Noctua fans the PWM F12 are good for static pressure too there's also some other low-price fan that is way better than the price make it to be but I can't remember if it was Aerocool or some other maker.

Look around, but make sure it's having enough static pressure since the FPI on the Corsair H series radiators is high, meaning it needs a strong fan to push air through, not a fan that have lots of CFM.

After typing this out I got some hints that NoiseBlocker Eloop B12-2 are good.

Just google "Best radiator fans" and you'll find something.

think about any time something has to load from the boot disk.
opening the start menu, starting a program, loading a game level. all that is faster. once you get used to it, mechanical drives feel really slow.

Hey Sup Forums, just put together a build. Is this looking good? What should I add/change? My budget is 950$.

try to find a 6GB 1060, a hard drive for bulk storage would be nice too. other than that I can't fault this

Just look for a nice case with closed sides.

Anything in particular when it comes to the hard drive for bulk storage?

why won't you cia niggers help me?

most difficult decision of my life. fuckin stressed. I should just part it out and build new.

7200rpm, 1TB or more, SATA 6gb. I like the ones with a big cache

Guys is the windows 10 Enterprise ltsb preactivated is good for my gaming and surfing? Or is that just a memes? This is due to my build which is kaby Lake as the stores in my place only sold kaby Lake chips.
Advice pls

Get the GQ 650w instead for $72ish. Almost the same quality, cheaper, more wattage for possible future expansion.
Get two sticks of ram. Your mobo has 4 slots. Dual channel makes a difference in a fair few games (like Witcher).
Your machine is going to be ugly as sin with stock heatsink and green bare ram/ssd, so I advise against a case with a window.
Get a 6gb 1060 or a 4gb Rx 480. The performance is within single digit% in almost all games.
Motherboard seems really expensive. Iirc that used to sell for $120. It's also a "z" series board meant for overclocking. Get a cheaper one or get a cpu with a "k" on the end (6600k, 7600k)
If Kabylake price is similar, get the i5 7500 instead. A b250 or h270 board.

W7 werks on kaby lake if you put effort into installing it
2 b honest though its too much of a pain so ill prob switch to loonix sometime this year

In order to keep insubordinate employees in check, Microsoft has heavily throttled game performance on Windows 10 Enterprise.

Really? Fuck me then
So what's the alternative?
Will I be arrested to misproper use of windows
Really?

yeah

Speccy says my mb is 118C. CPU and GPU are fine.

There is no heat at all coming from inside the pc. It's all brand new.

Board is an asus z170p. I5 6600k, gtx 1070.

I am still running win 7 on it. Is speccy just wrong?

Since you have an Intel, use RealTemp 3.70
Much better and more accurate since it have temp settings to show you the real temp values.

Not only that but it also has settings to show you GPU temps as well.
The reason I use it is because it also have a built in temp warning system (not that I ever need it with my temps) but it also records min and max temps at their respective time so you get the REAL temps huh huh.
I've made it so the Nvidia temps are green and Intel ones are blue that way I know exactly which is which without having to open the program.

If you want it to autostart on Windows 10 I can give you hte schedule script as well since Win10 and it's UAC ruins proper functionality.

Oh

I checked the temps while I was downloading updates for Windows and other things. Nothing else running. Tried checking the bios but i could only see the cpu temp but I can check again

You're doing in wrong if you remove the protective sticker from the bottom of the cooler at any time that isn't immediately before putting it on.

It's a common issue with asus motherboards, if you boot back up in bios the motherboard temp should be fine.

This.
Also the CPU is sitting firmly in a socket.
Even if it didn't it's not like the PGA pins on the AMD so no harm done by putting it on the table.
The only things you need to be vary of are the chips on the underside.

I can try that. I'm 90% sure I was getting a wrong reading. Because all fans were working, no warmth coming from any component. Didn't touch anything but I'm sure I would feel heat if the temp was 118

How do I build a Mac? Is it possible? Or does it have to be a PC if you build it yourself? Always wanted a custom built Mac.

after finally receiving the screws I needed to mount the fucking H60 rad to the case, my dark-like-my-soul MITX build is finally complete

Look up hackintosh

my old PC before I ruined it by driving with it through central NSW. it was good while it lasted.

Rate me. First time desktop builder. Sick of using laptop for work/home stuff (email, spreadsheets, word-processing, movie streaming). Also want to be able to play some video gaymes with my NEET friends. Want to stay below $500 while having the ability to upgrade and fool around if I get into it. What would you change? Inb4 SSD; taking a 250GB from an extra laptop.

pcpartpicker.com/list/W3v9Fd

howd it get ruined