Older game on W10

OK Sup Forums-experts. My dad has a new computer with Win10. His previous had XP. He liked to play this old jump-and-run "Camy 2 - The Machine". You can get it here:
anonfiles.cc/file/278a5b30bd46ea553bb53aa05c61a70d
The game can be installed without problems on Win10, but won't launch, the Errors.txt reports:
"VBIE - Initialize - ActiveX component can't create object"
My google-fu was remarkably insufficient, I did't find anything useful. The game worked fine on XP and older, as far as I remember it didn't work on Win7. Setting compatibility to XP or ME/98 doesn't do anything, running it as administrator does neither.

Other urls found in this thread:

support.openit.com/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=37
winehq.org/search?q=camy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

use a VM running windows XP or play it on an older machine that you can pick up for $10

Sorry but I am not going to teach my 60+ dad how to use a VM, also he doesn't want an additional PC.

you can set the VM up once and afterwards it'll be as simple as starting and shutting it down

pretty much your only option honestly

You may be right but I am wondering why the program won't run. What is missing in the new Windows.
Also Setting up several 100's of MB of VM to run a 2 MB simple game somehow offends me.

>support.openit.com/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=37

Never touched this, but the internet revealed this.

That's how the rest of us do it. If you want to play older Windows games you gotta have older hardware.

This game's PC port doesn't even work properly on XP so I have a couple Pentium III machines running Windows 98 to play it.

Older software just isn't going to work well on newer operating systems. Sorry OP, but you'll either have to install XP or not play the games at all.

Stupid question, but I wonder if it has to do with 16-bit vs 64-bit. That would explain why the transition to 7 resulted in it not working.

I honestly think it's a 32b program, but I'm not 100% sure. How would you check that?

I would think so, sounds like it came out in 2002, which would make it rather recent and surprising to me that it doesn't work in modern Windows.

Usually you get an error about it not being supported in your version of Windows if 16 bit. Something makes me doubt this is the real problem based on this logic.

I think it is a matter of something security related, something Windows introduced in 7 that didn't exist in XP, which is preventing your ActiveX from connecting. Try changing your internet settings to a more permissible value, turning off UAC, or temporarily disabling all firewalls.

Pattern repeats itself, this is NOT about the game at all or your dad, your dad probably is you. You will not install this game, or ever play it again, because you can't, because you want only your modified memories of the game and not actually experience it again.

This is why you won't use a VM which would solve your problem. Because it would actually work.

Seen this thread 1001 times
>need an old game/app
>Use a vm, emulator, dosbox etc
>Oh no that won't work for this stupid faux-reason

I will try that, but I don't think Win10 will even allow me to relax my Internet-security settings so much.

Yeah my dad doesn't exist ... it's all about me ... briliant deduction. No, wait, unlike You some of us have family members we care about and who care about us.
Now if You have no idea why this relatively recent program won't run on modern windows and just want to shitpost kindly sod off.

Also unlike me, my dad usually plays through this game in one sitting (roughly 2h). I never got past level 8 or so, also I personally never cared for this jump'n'run all that much.

>Post picture of dick and nutsack with a link to a trojan.

>Nobody notices.

Welcome to Neo Sup Forums.

Then just use a vm.

THIS GAME WAS SO AWESOME.
Fuck I'm old

Saw this phenomenon happen in real life when I brought a laptop full of roms and a group of people enjoyed them while the lone earthboundfag stayed firmly in the corner making shit up on the spot like "it's illegal" to protect his memories.

It's already over, dad existing or not you are just going to try to make this work on modern windows and it simply isn't but that's the way it has to be versus admitting the game was shit.

Or he could install Gentoo...

I have to find the source of these balls!

I seriously didn't expect anyone else to know this game.

Oh christ...
My bad.

The central factory

Spoopy!

>winehq.org/search?q=camy

HA! BTFO Linux users, your OS doesn't support this. Score one for Windows XP.

ME NEITHER!

OP here. I'm not so sure, maybe Wine would run it even though it's not officially supported. I don't have a linux machine or VM set up to test it though.
In other news Changing my ActiveX security settings does nothing. Would there be a way to apply those settings specifficaly to this one program?

Well, if they didn't fix it globally, I doubt it would work for one title.

Sigh, the number of times I wish I had a linux machine set up with Intel to test old games. I am worried I may eventually end up in your boat OP, I am sorry for your troubles.