/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Previously: /t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Search for software by category: linuxlinks.com/Software/, directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
Search alternatives to common applications: alternativeto.net/, linuxalt.com/
Themes, artwork, and more: opendesktop.org/
Desktop environments and window managers: xwinman.org/
Distro search: distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=All

Computers preloaded with GNU/Linux and libre firmware: gnu.org/links/companies.html
Have an idea for a new software/feature? Want to make bucks by making free software?: bountysource.com/

News: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home, webupd8.org/, linuxjournal.com/, lwn.net/
Gaming news: gamingonlinux.com/, linuxgameconsortium.com/

Learn the command line by playing: mprat.org/Terminus/
Learn what a specific command is for:
$ man
$ info
$ help
Don't know what to look for? $ apropos
For advanced users: grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros): wiki.archlinux.org, wiki.gentoo.org

Learn more about Free Software: gnu.org/
/fglt/'s website: fglt.nl/
/fglt/'s copypasta collection: p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Other urls found in this thread:

plus.google.com/ LennartPoetteringTheOneAndOnly/posts/J2TZrTvu7vd
0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
0pointer.de
archive.is/17Qh1
distrowatch.com
agwa.name/blog/post/how_to_crash_systemd_in_one_tweet
ocsmag.com/2016/10/19/systemd-progress-through-complexity/
cve.circl.lu/cve/CVE-2016-10156
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/437
bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76935
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=825394
lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/[email protected]/thread/ZNQW72UP36UAFMX53HPFFQTWTQDZVJ3M/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/tso-and-linus-and-the-impotent-rage-against-systemd/
devuan.org/os/init-freedom/
systemd-free.org/why.php
youtube.com/watch?v=MJs16CrANPo
funtoo.org/Extlinux
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Steam_runtime_issues
zdnet.com/article/lennart-poetterings-linus-torvalds-rant/
thenewstack.io/unix-greatest-inspiration-behind-systemd/
github.com/keeferrourke/capitaine-cursors
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck me, real link to previous thread

>Much of the Open Source community tries to advertise the community as one happy place to the outside. Where contributions are valued only by their technical quality, and everybody meets at conferences for beers.

>Well, it is not like that. It's quite a sick place to be in.

>I don't usually talk about this too much, and hence I figure that people are really not aware of this, but yes, the Open Source community is full of assholes, and I probably more than most others am one of their most favourite targets. I get hate mail for hacking on Open Source. People have started multiple "petitions" on petition web sites, asking me to stop working (google for it). Recently, people started collecting Bitcoins to hire a hitman for me (this really happened!). Just the other day, some idiot posted a "song" on youtube, a creepy work, filled with expletives about me and suggestions of violence. People post websites about boycotting my projects, containing pretty personal attacks. On IRC, people /msg me sometimes, with nasty messages, and references to artwork in Sup Forums style. And there's more. A lot more.

>plus.google.com/ LennartPoetteringTheOneAndOnly/posts/J2TZrTvu7vd

Stop the bully.

Could you take your propaganda somewhere else?

I'm trying to use steam (not ubuntu). Installed steam, and then steam-native-runtime packages. Most games I've tried work fine. when i try to run binding of isaac (launched steam-native from terminal) It fails to open and I get this:

Game update: AppID 250900 "The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth", ProcID 4786, IP 0.0.0.0:0
>>> Adding process 4786 for game ID 250900
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/tristan/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/tristan/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
>>> Adding process 4787 for game ID 250900
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 250900
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561198137655487 [API loaded no]
Game removed: AppID 250900 "The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth", ProcID 4787
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet

suggestions? steam overlay is off, and the runtimes presumably shouldnt be a problem because I am using steam-native and its 150 runtime dependencies.

0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

>0pointer.de
>giving your IP to poettering

>how do I get middle click scroll on neon?

archive.is/17Qh1

>middle click scroll
like click and pull scrollbar?

Believe so. I honestly never thought of what ti was called. Just did it.

>distrowatch.com
delet this, it makes people install mint

>archive.is/17Qh1
agwa.name/blog/post/how_to_crash_systemd_in_one_tweet
ocsmag.com/2016/10/19/systemd-progress-through-complexity/
cve.circl.lu/cve/CVE-2016-10156
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/437
bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76935
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=825394
lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/[email protected]/thread/ZNQW72UP36UAFMX53HPFFQTWTQDZVJ3M/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/tso-and-linus-and-the-impotent-rage-against-systemd/
devuan.org/os/init-freedom/
systemd-free.org/why.php

>Gaming news

/fglt used to be the only good thread on Sup Forums. Sad.

I unironically like the new OC

hi OP

Ubuntu's vim is compiled without +clipboard, verified with vim --version output. Why is it then that I can still paste and copy?

hi

>biggest asshole in open sores complaining about "all the assholes" in open sores.
idgi. is he worried that they will try to take his crown? he sounds like the antifas when they burn books and beat up peaceful bystanders in the name of tolerance.

Hello, /fglt/

Any C fags in here want to see something NEET?

Im talking about compiling a program which calls a private function from within main. anyone want to see me work some magic?

botnet

>forgot the image
Hello, /fglt/

Any C fags in here want to see something NEET?

Im talking about compiling a program which calls a private function from within main. anyone want to see me work some magic?

Has anyone had experience getting Dolphin Netplay to work on Linux?

To the guys talking about bootloaders in the previous thread, check EXTLINUX youtube.com/watch?v=MJs16CrANPo

GNU/Linux*

Oh Shit REKT!! I gonna go buy some Scalia style burritos if anyone wants one

when will linus fix the linux filepicker so it has thumbnails?

>imblying

when you kys

I kissed my sister this morning already and I still have no thumbnails in my filepicker

>facts are propaganda

apropos is still a symbolic link to whatis.

How does it work? Because the behavior is all the same.

*not

>2017
>Linux still not Wi-Fi ready on install
wew lad

4U

Hey guys I really like how gnome 3.24 is turning out to be but I have a question: if I do a netinstall of debian stable will I be able to install this unfinished version of gnome? or am I going to need to add unstable repos?

Also, after I'm done with this, once gnome 3.24 officially launches how can I switch from the unreleased version to the official one? do I just update the package or should I remove gnome entirely and install it again?

>being this retarded
W O W
O
W

What is a good DAW to use on GNU/Linux?

what a prick

I started with Unity Ubuntu and Elementary OS. I just installed Neon KDE and I have my JetBrains stuff installed and my JDK. Other than that I am completely fucking lost. I actually feel like everything is broken.

Making good progress on my first archlinux setup, just installed xfce.

What's your favorite browser, /fglt/? I'm looking for something lightweight and privacy-minded.

How do I make feh not shit?

I'm using this command to browse images in thumbnail mode
feh -t -E 400 -y 400 -W 1600 -F
but when I open an image and close it, the thumbnail window gets killed also.

Is there any way to browse through images with space when I open one from thumbnail view?

Is there a way to make the window size appropriate when not in full screen and also scale down the image?
Like when I open a 1900x1080 image on a 1600x900 screen, instead of giving me a 1600x900 window which doesn't even show the full image, can I make it open that image in a 1280x720 window and scale the image to fit window size?

>Open Source community is full of assholes
Then why don't you go to the "free software" community. We only, and arrogantly care about freedom, and whatever miscellaneous things that 'hurt' the so-called "open source" community are not important to us.

I just installed arch and xfce4, where are config file examples posted?
I haven't even set up a menu bar yet, just have that floating box.

>bunsen lab has been stuck on "detecting disk"
HELP! What do I do?

Use sxiv

What's the point of ruining your desktop experience with tiling WMs when stacking WMs like Xfwm implement configurable pseudo-tiling capabilities via window snapping?

I'll try it.

I just installed my first Linux, mint (would of been manjaro if only it wouldn't blank screen on boot) I have 0 coding knowledge and have no idea what to do with this or how to do things.I don't wanna go thru the hassle of windows again.Any help, tips or suggestions?

Is there a decent looking boot manager im missing or am i stuck using GRUB and its old as fuck look?

funtoo.org/Extlinux

It's shit.

Difficult to explain really, but there are just differences to the way it feels and functions. It's just personal preference.

I never understood it myself until I just started using i3.
Probably the best comparison I've seen someone give is that using a tiling WM is more like you know where everything is, or where everything will go. Each desktop is like its own little "project" and you get into a routing of having things set up a certain way.

I tend to be much less dynamic with my window placement than I ever was with a normal window manager (meaning I don't really move things around at all), but somehow it still feels more efficient.

Installing Bunsen here. I've been on the "Finishing the Installation" for a bit now. Is this normal?

having you tried installing our lord and saviour void linux instead?

Tell me about this Void.

it's Arch done right

what's wrong with systemd?
don't get all the drama bout it.
it's free, isn't it?

>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Steam_runtime_issues
that might help since the error seems similar.

Why are people using steam again?

Kind of like your mom, right?

I dislike your picture attachment, please delete it.

there are some logical reasons, like it being more than just an init system and adopting design philosophy similar to windows, but ultimately it boils down to its leader developer, pottering, being an absolute dickhead.

[citiation needed]

stop posting asses
stop shitposting

>pottering, being an absolute dickhead
Why? He writes free software (thanks lennart), don't like it? Don't use it.

>distros forcing dependency on systemd
>lmao just don't use it :^)

first they came for my init and I said nothing because sysvinit and I didn't shipost because sysvinit was outdated

then they came for the unix design philosophy and I didn't shitpost because I could still use runit

then they came for total market dominance and there was no one left to shitpost

well for starters he's a giant sjw cry baby.
>zdnet.com/article/lennart-poetterings-linus-torvalds-rant/
>I'd actually put some blame on a certain circle of folks that play a major role in kernel development, and first and foremost Linus Torvalds himself. By many he is a considered a role model, but he is quite a bad one. If he posts words like "[specific folks] ...should be retroactively aborted. Who the f*ck does idiotic things like that? How did they not die as babies, considering that they were likely too stupid to find a tit to suck on?" (google for it), then that's certainly bad. But what I find particularly appalling is the fact that he regularly defends this, and advertises this as an efficient way to run a community.
article does a good job calling out pottering bullshit.
>thenewstack.io/unix-greatest-inspiration-behind-systemd/
>“One of the most well-known concepts that people often cite about Unix is that everything’s a file. I personally think that’s a complete bullshit thing.” — Lennart Poettering
then of course his hatred for *nix being *nix.

blame the distros who force it?

nothing

it's like hating on pajeets; nobody really knows why, but it seems to be cool to do it

Open Source was a mistake.

What's wrong with it?

t. red hat shill

how do I make it so that every steam game I open in i3 starts a new workspace and moves there?

That's rich coming from him. This guy is the biggest douchbag in the history of open source software.
He stretches the truth on so many of the points, and that one page where he lists the features of each init is just straight up lying.
>tolerating systemd
>good
Pick one shill.
Nice try shill, why don't you show the C code that makes the one on the right work. It is no where near as complicated as the left.

>it's another ''autist systemd debate ruins fglt'' episode
seriously you niggers, go and make a systemd thread and bitch about it there.

How many init scripts have you personally written to run on systemd or sysv?

Users don't normally touch those, so what difference does it make?
The difference it makes is if you do encounter a problem and need to fine tune something you're fucked with systemd, but with sysv init you at least have a chance to see more transparently what it's doing and/or make changes

how do I make i3 floating windows not tear/stutter? default compositor gives ridiculous tearing. tried a lot of settings in compton and they all do nothing. windows stutter to the point that they will freeze for half a second and then catch up to the mouse. my computer is pretty powerful and I'm using proprietary nvidia drivers.

Hi all. I'm trying to install an old version of abiword from launchpad.

I've run this in the terminal.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:abiword-stable/ppa
sudo apt-get update

It all seems good at this point as far as I can tell. If I put in 'sudo apt-get install abiword' then it intalls the current version from the repository and not from launchpad. I need to know what to enter next to install it.

inb4: windows does not have this problem. I use windows too and it has problems too. Between linux and windows I can occasionally get something done without too much trouble.

You mean when you first start the window, or just all the time?

>Get obscure phone call from Pajeet very early in morning
>Claims to be ISP engineer wanting to check my computer
>I'll play along
>Can you please to start your computer?
>Keep Pajeet talking while I start my computer and ping all the ISP servers
>No problems found
>Do speedtest.net - ISP running as quick as usual
>So decide to inflate the cost of Pajeet's call
>pretending that computer is really slow booting up
>Pajeet says its probably a symptom of the problems they will find
>Pajeet asking me to Control+R
>It's not working Pajeet
>Yes it should... Why is not working user?
>Because, my brown friend, I'm on LINUX, so you can't install any of your payware or ransomware HahahahahahHAHAHAHAHA

Pajeet hangs up

God I love Linux.

all the time. dragging it around makes it freeze for half a second, or move at about 15fps

I'm not completely sure but I don't know if i3 developers really care that much about the floating mode.
At least that's what someone told me when I was trying to point out an easily reproducible bug where certain hotkeys used on floating windows would cause i3 to crash.

>Bitcoins to hire a hitman for me (this really happened!)

how can I help

what happened to infinality? how do I make my fonts look good now?

99% of the perceived font problems people come here with are actually just fontconfig problems.
They think they're using 1 font when really they're using another

What exactly is the issue you're observing?

I got a call from some place claiming to be my ISP after they had been calling my everyday for weeks and I kept missing it, I looked up the numbers they called from adn it was a known scam

>asks for my DoB
>give him fake one
>ask who I'm talking to
>says his name
>ask where he's calling from
>says some place in aus
>ask where he lives
>he says he can't tell me
>ask what he's wearing
>hangs up
>no more calls

should I switch from x to wayland? does i3 work well in wayland?

Learning Golang with Atom on GNOME3, dark mode enabled.

Very comfy and I'm loving it so much, I can keep doing this forever.

You don't use i3 in wayland, you switch to Sway, the clone of i3 for wayland

Personally I don't plan to switch to wayland until my browser runs it natively. Meaning either I ditch firefox for something else, or firefox gets a wayland version

>mfw shilling systemd here on my fedora desktop, and then samefagging on my phone

someone please suggest some nice looking flat cursors for gnu/linux

I'm getting these error messages when I start my computer or I log out of a session.
[ 3.275655] ACPI Error: [_T_0] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20160831/dswload2-330)
[ 3.275676] ACPI Exception: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, during name lookup/catalog (20160831/psobject-227)
[ 3.275686] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB.PCI0.OVGA.DD03.GBQC] (Node ffff9508bb4bedc0), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20160031/psparse-543)
[ 3.275708] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB.PCI0.OVGA.DD03._BQC] (Node ffff9508bb4bef28), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20160031/psparse-543)
[ ok ] Started Command Scheduler
[ ok ] Started Job spooling tools.
and
[ 3.289201] ACPI Error: [_T_0] Namespace lookup failure, AE_EXISTS (20160831/dswload2-330)
[ 2.289222] ACPI Exception: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20160831/psobject-227)
[ 3.289232] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB.PCI0.OVGA.DD03.GBQC] (Node ffff9742fb4be910), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20160831/psparse-543)
[ 3.289256] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB.PCI0.OVGA.DD03._BQC] (Node ffff9742fb4bef28), AE_ALREADY EXISTS (20160831/psparse-543)
Starting Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service...
I cannot access the Internet with two of my browsers (Midori and Surf), they show the loading animation on the tabs but the sites never load, when they stop working Pidgin does too and I can't acess IRC. I tried restarting NetworkManager, restarting my laptop, turning it off, but it doesn't help. I can still use Brave (browser) and play online just fine so I'm sure it's not the internet connection. I don't know if those error messages have something to do with it. Can anybody please help? If I can't fix it I'll reinstall everything or try another distribution.

ah yes, you seem to have a severe case of linux
i'd suggest a different operating system

Kill yourself rakesh

github.com/keeferrourke/capitaine-cursors
If you need any help about installing it , just tell my your distro and i'll help you about that