Intel is dying and becoming irrelevant

Everyone's switching to ARM, even Microsoft and Apple.

>Microsoft announces Windows-on-ARM partnership with Qualcomm, but done right this time

extremetech.com/computing/240792-microsoft-announces-new-windows-arm-partnership-qualcomm-done-right-time

>Microsoft is bringing Windows desktop apps to mobile ARM processors

theverge.com/2016/12/7/13866936/microsoft-windows-10-arm-desktop-apps-support-qualcomm

>Apple could be working on ARM-based Mac chips to make Mac laptops more efficient

techcrunch.com/2017/02/02/apple-could-be-working-on-arm-based-mac-chips-to-make-the-mac-more-efficient/

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2016/12/8/13881800/microsoft-demonstrates-full-windows-10-with-photoshop-on-arm-chips
anandtech.com/show/11115/intel-confirms-8th-gen-core-on-14nm-data-center-first-to-new-nodes
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_phenom_am1&num=4
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_tk1_amdam1&num=2
archive.is/nrbNX
computerworld.com/article/3085483/high-performance-computing/china-builds-world-s-fastest-supercomputer-without-u-s-chips.html
browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/1826847
browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/1445749
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE
ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ARM motherboards when

You realize x86 software can't natively run on ARM or has to be run through emulators which incur heavy performance penalties, right?

Intel isn't dying especially when ARM has the worst performance/watt which makes it irrelevant for the enterprise market IGNORING the paragraph above.

It can. Microsoft has demonstrated full 32bit Photoshop running on a Samsung arm tablet running Windows 10 for arm.

ARM is a fucking joke for high performance workloads.

The problem of Intel is that they have a 45% profit margin on desktop, notebook cpus and even higher on servers. It's hard to invest billions to become competitive in a market where the profit margins are a lot lower like mobile.

I can "run" PS on a 12yo intel cpu too. Now apply some heavy filters and watch your samshit melts.

>"Microsoft revealed today that it plans to support existing desktop apps on ARM chipsets through a new emulation layer."
go kill yourself you sack of retarded shit

theverge.com/2016/12/8/13881800/microsoft-demonstrates-full-windows-10-with-photoshop-on-arm-chips

>Intel Confirms 8th Gen Core on 14nm

>As confirmed to Ashraf Eassa by Intel at the event, Intel’s 8th Generation Core microarchitecture will remain on the 14nm node.

R.I.P. Intel

anandtech.com/show/11115/intel-confirms-8th-gen-core-on-14nm-data-center-first-to-new-nodes

#BTFO

Microsoft demonstrates full Windows 10 with Photoshop on ARM chips

Time to dump Intel stocks

What the fuck does that have to do with performance?

I overclocked my 2700K to 4.6 GHz years ago and it still runs fine yet it's based on 32nm cpu lithography.

Arm chips are more power efficient for tablets and laptops

Intel puts backdoors in their CPUs so fuck 'em

everybody does
on modern arms it's much worse

ARM had backdoors long before intel you underage b&

see
Find me a single ARM chip that can output 3,000+ GFLOPS of FP64 performance for less than 300 watts then I'll take ARM seriously.

99% of Windows/OS X machines run x86 purely because of backwards comparability. Most people don't need it for any other reason. It makes me laugh when Intel tries to get into the mobile market with low power x86, even if it was better than ARM, no one would use it because no one voluntarily wants to enter into an agreement with Intel to get ass raped with their monopoly on x86.

Intel's burned every bridge with manufacturers already for their decades long business of ass fucking everyone, and with x86 emulation on ARM the chickens are coming home to roost.

Care to share the credible source to back up your statements?

You do realize there's a huge performance penalty for running x86 code on ARM processors, right?

For 99% of people that doesn't matter. Most people don't use demanding software on their PCs.

shittel in suicide watch.

They will feel noticeable lag and whine about it and it will all end with them going back to computers with x86 processors

t. ex-chromebook usee

see
intel makes the big bucks in enterprise where ARM does a terrible job of competing in. Im fact I don't think ARM has been relevant in enterprise since like 06

>32bit

Intel could have prevented all of that had they accepted Steve Job's offer to manufacture chips for iPhone. Paul Otellini said no and now Intel's almost dead.

You say no to Jobs and you fucking die.

Otellini is alive and Jobs died from asscancer

pancreatic cancer. and we're talking about companies.

Intel's dead because they have no play in mobile.

Regular people want a computer for a internet browser, a word processor, a music player and other basic software like that. In all most of cases like this there is already native ARM software to do that role. The only reason shitbooks still ship with x86 is because manufacturers don't want their consumers to install some random stupid shit and have it not work and complain. Emulation is enough to fill the gap for most people.

>this fucker does't actually know what ARM or RISC means

>tfw Intel is building a huge facility in Arizona

What's there to like though?

x86/x64 is relatively well standartized and open. ARM has none of that. It's literally custom hardware, often with intentionaly reduced compatibility, down to custom instructions.

Crappy NIH non-standard one of a kind hardware with obscure poorly supported drivers written by pajeets which have half of their features barely working. Unremovable hardware DRM. Tivoized bootloaders, walled gardens, much more planned obsolescence. Server hardware must be at least half-open since it depends on linux support, but on the consumer devices you'll see all this crap because it's much more profitable for corporations.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_phenom_am1&num=4
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_tk1_amdam1&num=2

Tegra K1(Cortex A15 variant) compared to the Jaguar based Athlon 5350.
Then the 5350 vs the Phenom 9500.

I think Cortex A57 cores are pretty close to Jaguar in over all performance per clock, A72 are significantly faster. Jaguar is pretty close to the performance of a larger K8 core, sometimes faster, sometimes slightly slower.
A newer smartphone has more power in the CPU than your desktop.

careful what you wish for

the road of doing "what regular people want" eventually leads to planned obsolescence and artificially crappified products

basically you will get an eternal cycle of crap

just look at modern laptops, there's a reason why there's no good laptops anymore, even apple makes crap nowadays

or look at xiaomi, they started as hackable and open, now they are locked down and are making indistinguishable chinkphones with broken firmware every month

>>x86/x64 is relatively well standartized and open

Lol, wat. AMD is only allowed to manufacture x86 cpus because of cross-licensing deals with Intel. X86 is anything but open.

It's very open for software developers.
Also, screencap this. You'll remember my words in several years of ARM-dominated market.

>A newer smartphone has more power in the CPU than your desktop.
nice meme right there faggot

lol, it will be just rebuilt for arm

It's not necessarily what I wish for, but it's the reality of what is going to happen in the future. Fact is, increasing in the future regular people are going to be running just ARM and people with a specific demand for high performance hardware are going to be running x86, most likely at higher prices and even less generation on generation improvement because the market is smaller.

i thought she was going to shoot a booger out of her nose

I really don't even know what point you're making. arm will work with devs and even apples soc deviates from the standard arm architecture. x86 has patents behind it and licensing. I don't really now what you mean by being more open. Arm needs to be pretty friendly for developers for the low level embedded coding that it's often demanded for.

>Paul Otellini said no and now Intel's almost dead.
>You say no to Jobs and you fucking die.

Paul Otellini said no and now Steve Job's dead.
Intel says no to you and you fucking die.

>new laptops come out
>can't even handle 4k
>new phones come out
>do 4k recording/playback/editing easily

really activates my almonds

Thats right all normies and desktop computers will be replaced with weak armshit. Everything will become cloud based and your personal computer will basically be a thin client.

Point is, there's no such thing as ARM, besides the weak defined ISA it's just everybody doing everything they want. On x86, there's at least some expectations that most of the standards will be respected by your PC/laptop. And it's much easier for vendors to vendor lock everyone with ARM since it's almost completely custom and nothing is assumed/expected.

>Arm needs to be pretty friendly for developers for the low level embedded coding that it's often demanded for.
That is also what I'm talking about. It will never be friendly.

>arm will work with devs
ARM is just a company which is licensing the ISA, it has nothing to do with devs. You have to implement the hardware yourself. Sure vendors will work with devs... problem is most of their crap will be hidden under the hood, and you won't be able to install anything else on your own hardware. Licensing for devs? Treating them like apple does? Competition does nothing when everybody is at lowest common denominator.

Will ARM be able to handle? CISC to RISC is a pretty big deal I believe, so, how would those ARM CPUs would look like that would handle multiporpouse OS and softwares.

I mean, ARM is amazing and efficient and all those things, but all we see is it doing on thing at time, iOS is a very basic OS but Android wich is a closer OS to a desktop OS needs an 8 core ARM to runs decent.

>sells the factory cause profits are bad

>verge
archive.is/nrbNX

Every modern CPU is RISC with microcode, for 15 years already.

>Matt hi-resolution screen
>At least 500GB SSD
>Linux friendly

Is it too much to ask?

>On x86, there's at least some expectations that most of the standards will be respected by your PC/laptop.

that's mainly just because of a co-dependent anti-competitive relationship with intel and microsoft. It feels well standardized because there's essentially only one company making all the shots and AMD just kind of being disruptive every once in a while.

Fastest super computer in the world
ARM

computerworld.com/article/3085483/high-performance-computing/china-builds-world-s-fastest-supercomputer-without-u-s-chips.html

Yeah, but still works like a CISC processor, its instructions just are subdivided into a group of RISC instructions but it doesnt change the fact that CISC uses less memory to to the same job.

uh-oh, I'm just going to wait here and watch the spergs move the goalpost someplace else.

for what cost and for what number of cores? what's the performance per watt? because that's what they mean when saying "arm sucks at supercomputers"

chinks are doing this because they are embargoed by ITAR in dual use tech, not because it makes economic sense

Why does she look mad :'(

>is relatively well standartized and open
It's neither

>just a company which is licensing the ISA
They also have designs like the a-73 or cortex-m4..... along with contributing to development tools like GCC and clang....

It's leagues ahead of arm. How's that custom rom working for your samshit exynos?

oh please
you can't even assume the instruction set or cpu features on arm
i'm not even talking about things like acpi

RISC high performance with vectorized units.

>Crappy NIH non-standard one of a kind hardware with obscure poorly supported drivers written by pajeets which have half of their features barely working
By the way, that's basically the description of PC hardware in the DOS times, up until late 90s or so.

That was copypasta'd from what I wrote in a different thread. It was in response to a guy with a Phenom 9500, which is in fact slower than flagship ARM SoCs today.

>>Microsoft is bringing Windows desktop apps to mobile ARM processors
Fucking yay!
I do wonder if this is using an x86 translator on die, or if it's gonna be done in software alone.
It'd be the biggest fucking giggle if you could just load this shit up on an original Surface RT

As for arm macbooks, I'd say it's silly, but if it's finally an arm device as unrestricted in use as an x86 laptop that could be nice, especially from apple.
I'd whinge no x86, but I mostly just use GNU shit on mine so that wouldn't be a problem.

>Windows desktop apps

By windows desktop apps you mean the default apps from the appstore and nothing more.

>Apple could be working

Might as well go back to powerPC.

>iPhones and all smartphones since could have been x86, "iPhone runs OSX" could have been real, but intel fucked it up
I mad

>done right this time
We shall see about that
>everyones switching to arm
>including apple
Nobody here in their right mind would waste $3000+ on stupid macs

No, any app. Full Photoshop isn't in the app store

Windows itself becoming irrelevant will be what kills Intel.

Almost nobody gets viruses and malware on anything besides Windows, it's something everybody wants to get rid of.

is Microsoft and Intel the IBM of the 21st century?

>Almost nobody gets viruses and malware on anything besides Windows, it's something everybody wants to get rid of.
That's the result, not the cause.

IT'S OVER, INTEL IS FINISHED

>Almost nobody gets viruses and malware on anything besides Windows

Not true. Android gets way more

>A newer smartphone has more power in the CPU than your desktop.
Unfortunately no, ARM processors have terrible IPC

2-core 3.7GHz i3-6100 GB4 multi-core FP score: 9289

4-core 2.1Ghz (only one cpu module can be active during heavy load) SD 821 GB4 multi-core FP score: 5391

So despite 4 fucking ARM cores struggling past 2GHz they still manage to be only ~58% as powerful as 2 x86 intel cores running at 3.7GHz. Don't get me started on that shitty single-core performance.

browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/1826847
browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/1445749

This is ignoring the 4 and 8 core intel processors that people use on desktops.

>4-core 2.1Ghz (only one cpu module can be active during heavy load) SD 821 GB4 multi-core FP score: 5391

So you're saying this is one core under heavy load? So 5391/core? At 0.56x the clock, and it got 0.58x the score of a 2-core x86?

Sounds like the snapdragon has got intel BTFO'd.

Especially because laptops/desktops can tolerate a lot more TDP than a phone, expect to see those clocks go up and the throttling not happen

>So you're saying this is one core under heavy load? So 5391/core? At 0.56x the clock, and it got 0.58x the score of a 2-core x86?
No you dumbass, that was the multi-core result (all 4 active cores were stressed).

See: I was telling a guy that newer ARM chips are more powerful than his Phenom 9500. Someone else just copypasted one of my posts from yesterday.

>Android wich is a closer OS to a desktop OS needs an 8 core ARM to runs decent
8 core smartphone ARMs are actually 4 core. 4 big cores for performance, 4 little ones for energy saving.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE

>only 65% as powerful as the snapdragon 821's performance cluster on the oneplus 3T
that bad huh...

Intel is not dying you stupid fucks....they have a pretty damn good market share percentage.

"Intel's x86 processor market share was 87.7 percent the fourth quarter of 2015, growing from 86.3 percent a year earlier. AMD held just a 12.1 percent share, falling from 13.6 percent, according to Mercury Research.Apr 22, 2016"

Famous last words

Android gets malware too but owners can literally just backup and reset their phone.

The problem with a PC is having shit go wrong and some retard that thinks he has skills repairs it for $200 until it gets infected again in 3 months because they made the customer pay for Norton instead of actually fixing the problem (Adblocking).

X86 is dying u nipee

How much are guys paid to shill for intel? Honestly you're looking pretty desperate now

>tfw Cortex-A53 seems more and more like some alien tech in terms of insane power efficiency

Its just small, and in order. Tiny 8 stage pipeline.

>she

Offtopic, but wtf is going on with the intel website?

For example:
ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

Mate, just run the code through gcc-arm or something lol.

see

Ok tell me where to the source code to adobe after effects.

(((shut it down)))

>tfw you haven't bought Intel in 9 years

>You realize x86 software can't natively run on ARM or has to be run through emulators which incur heavy performance penalties, right?
It has been done over and over, and the emulators are getting better and better
>what is Rosetta (PPC->x86)
>what is Xbox 360 xbox emu (x86->PPC)
>what is Xbox One 360 emu (PPC->x86)
>what is qemu
>what is UltraHLE (N64 emu on hardware that was only 2 years older)

You also have to consider that if Windows switches to ARM, all big software vendors will switch too. The only software to emulate is old/legacy software, which wont require a lot of CPU power

>instead of actually fixing the problem(walling of the garden full of vegetables and fruits)

Fixed that for you. The problem with PC is the user has too much control over the system. Forced updates and replacing Commonsense 2017 with a computer program are just stop gap measures until we get enough DRM instructions built in to the CPU.

ARM mobile chips have weak FPU, the trend is to offload FP workloads to dedicated ASICs, DSP and GPUs. Because companies can just license ARM cores and make their own chip with custom accelerators on chip they have less need for large FPU units.

I think they just announced optional enhanced FPUs for non-mobile use recently. The ability to have custom hardware on chip is killing intel, no one will buy atoms for NAS and other embedded things anymore, a more powerful FPU can't compete with dedicated silicon that is 20x faster at a specific task.

Man, you're fucking delusional.

ARM has horrible IPC, terrible energy efficiency not suitable for general computing, and you expect this shit to overtake x86 when it's pumping 3+ TFLOPS of FP64 per chip and using less than 300 watts?

x86 is old and deprecated but ARM is nowhere near a replacement for it.

I like this comparison because it looks like an arm core pulling maybe 5W peak is getting only slightly less performance per core-clock an an Intel pulling 51W

>ARM has horrible IPC, terrible energy efficiency not suitable for general computing
You're just talking out of your ass right now
>and you expect this shit to overtake x86 when it's pumping 3+ TFLOPS of FP64 per chip and using less than 300 watts?
Thats not even remotely related the point I was trying to make. Regardless, how many consumer devices have those specs?

SD821 can pull up to 10 watts under maximum load. Also look at the clock frequencies. Do you think your shitty ARM cores would still consume 10 watts max if they were clocked go 3.8GHz?

If energy efficiency is what you truly want then 72 1GHz atom cores with modified FPU units that do 512-bit AVX instruction units is what you want (ie knights landing processors). ARM can't reach anywhere near this level of efficiency.