You've just seen the windows source code

you've just seen the windows source code
post your expression

Other urls found in this thread:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/3497574/Windows_2000_source_code
github.com/TC1995/NT_4.0_SourceCode/blob/master/nt4/private/ntos/boot/lib/i386/ixpcibus.c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes

mainly cause i got no clue whats going on.

I'm a filthy tech illiterate who is just here for the consumer technology.

What's so special about the Windows source code? Why can't you just take an application/OS/whatever and un-compile it to get the source code? If one input has one output when code is being compiled, should you be able to go in the reverse direction and use the output to get the input?

Code obfuscation

Nice!
That's called reverse engineering, it's a thing.

But you cannot just copy them exactly, since you would get lawsuits that can leave you broke and die from hunger, like a hobo (rms).

windows source code is PROPRIETARY. that means it is a SECRET and NOT PUBLICLY AVAILABLE for you to STUDY or MODIFY.

It's like making a cake, you can't bring back the eggs, milk, etc. Every time you want cake you need the recipe (source code). Although you can get the instruction code (assembly) by a process.

I guess what I'm asking is why is it like baking a cake instead of like say making water (you can put hydrogen and oxygen together to get water, or break up water to get hydrogen and oxygen).

Are we being raided again? I miss the old Sup Forums, all you new fags are ruining it.

>reaction image dump: the thread
please just leave

windows

source code

is PROPRIETARY.

that means it is a SECRET

and NOT PUBLICLY AVAILABLE

for you to STUDY or MODIFY.

Then just make a timemachine.

No shit it's illegal, so is piracy but most people do that. I'm wondering about the technical aspect of it.n

It's more like taking in a bunch of numbers as input and multiplying them to get an output.

You can work backwards from the output to get an input, but it's not going to be the same input as before.

Also, compilation strips out a bunch of useful things (like variable names) that exist to make the source code readable by humans.

I bet it looks like crazy spaghetti code. I can't believe Windows still uses the clusterfuck of a mechanic known as the registry

but microsoft provides symbol files and debug (checked) builds freely

piracy is such a minor thingand barely any care is given about it

meanwhile Microsoft will hunt you down and bankrupt you forever if you break their copyrights

Thanks.

>can't you uncompile it?
Not exactly. How you would even know which programming language it was originally coded just from the machine code? Hello world in C and in Python would compile to the same thing (not quite, but assume they do for the sake of simplicity). The point being, once you have machine code, you can't in general uncompile it back to source code.

Actually, you can try, and it's quite possible to "uncompile" simple programs if you grant yourself some liberties. But for a massive codebase such as that of Windows', especially given the fact that most of it is said to be complete undecipherable spaghetti, it's unfeasible and not worth it to even try.

thepiratebay.org/torrent/3497574/Windows_2000_source_code
I'm getting a gateway error when searching for Windows NT4 but there's some source from that online too

Yeah but the code has changed so much I'm sure that that code isn't very similar to modern Windows anymore
All though I'm sure there's some obscure kernel bug that still hasn't been discovered yet

>the source code has changed in the last 15-20 years
Really?

I actually have seen the windows source code because some of it was leaked in the 2000s.

It was spaghetti city with lots of very cynical comments.

github.com/TC1995/NT_4.0_SourceCode/blob/master/nt4/private/ntos/boot/lib/i386/ixpcibus.c

>lines of code

what would you suggest in place of the registry files?

>lines of code
what do you mean?

config files located with it's programs it effects with a folder dedicated to global settings

yeah. the registry itself is ridiculous, with some of the keys being super fucking long and nested.

Then when you uninstall a program and it doesn't remove everything, and keys are scattered all over the place in the registry. there's no sequencing to them, it's just a clusterfuck

Last time code leaked it was pretty decent

obligatory

Seems legit I'm sure she had no axes to grind or anything.

I love that episode of Halt and Catch Fire where the dudes are in the garage reverse enginering the IBM BIOS. Shit is dope.

>babies need a translation
read the 0s and 1s faggots

you can, sort of, but there will be no structure, variable names, comments, or anything
it doesn't help much in understanding what the code does

for you. we know exactly what it does.
name one thing it can't be done.
we can even sniff packets.

Actually port DirectX 10/11/12 to Windows XP, checkmate.

>The system that builds windows is a bunch of 30 year old perl scripts from the 1990s. No one knows what they do. They have tried to replace this build system 4 times. The most recent attempt happened while I was working there and was called "Apex". It worked great, solved all the problems, and was totally fantastic, except that it couldn't compile windows. No one could figure out how to get windows to compile on it. This is because no one knows how to compile windows. They eventually shelved Apex because no one could decipher what the flying fuck was going on with the perl scripts.
>They still use the perl scripts.

Perl mustard race!

it's called entropy you mongoloid

>mfw
>comparing decompiled software to packets
stop posting

puking_guy.jpg

>he hasn't looked at the leaked NT4/2k sources yet

No, NT hasn't changed much

Reverse engineering is possible. But reverse engineering an entire fucking operating system to the point where every aspect becomes readable? That's the job of a lifetime. You can write your own OS in a fraction of the time needed to do something like that. Also Microsoft would sue your ass.

The Windows codebase has over 3.5 million files and is over 270 GB in size, because it's in one monolithic lump, including all imports.

git clone takes over 12 hours, checkout takes over 3, and status takes almost 10 minutes. They had to write an experimental remote filesystem driver (now on GitHub) to try to speed that up.

They (infamously) use Systems Hungarian notation variable names.

No one person knows exactly how NTFS works, which is why ReFS is such a clusterfuck.

It's basically true about the build scripts.

A lot of the code is a lot better than you probably think.

Microsoft is incredibly good at backwards compatibility compared to any other OS vendor out there. You wouldn't believe the workarounds, up to and including a whole subsystem for applying binary hotpatches to running code. Have a look at Raymond Chen's blog sometime.

PCI is an atrocious bus to initialize and program on.

well yea, but pure hydrogen and oxygen are mostly useless for "practical" things humans do.

You can disassemble, i.e., tear apart a program but it's like trying to decipher a conversion by looking at a wave graph. You can get some things with special tools or by recognizing patterns but it's a slow process and ultimately not feasible for something as complex as an operating system.

Can't be worse than Linux source

yea it was part of larger decision of apparently tight coupling the platform. Window shit is never portable so matter what you implement in. Installers were a huge mistake.

>git
you do now about a thing called TFSVC?
developing office and windows is what it was written for. its preddy gud for huge source bases.

They still use hungarian notation? WHY

so basically they're maintaining a 25 year old code base 1000s of people have touched and have issues solving problems no one in the industry faces. Doesn't sound that bad really.

There is literally nothing wrong with Hungarian notation as a style. At the time most of the important parts of Window were being written it did help maintenance and stability because assembly and c are not strongly typed language.
They probably just keep doing it because consistency and readability is more important than "what's in this decade" naming conventions, pajeet.