What VPS does gee use?

Comment as:
>company:
>package:
>price:
>what it's used for:

Other urls found in this thread:

ovh.com/us/vps/vps-ssd.xml
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-16-04
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ovh, $3.50/m for a reasonable spec. Website/VPN and whatnot

Interest in this thread because I'm looking for a storage VPS (2+TB) in the same city as a major VPN server that allows torrenting.

gigabit unmetered VPS ***

link?

ovh.com/us/vps/vps-ssd.xml

OVH
google it

Ovh.com
Also: reddit.com/r/vps for recommendations

DigitalOcean $5 desu

Online.net
Terrible support
Cheap as fuck
300mbit

i know i'm on /g, but what the fuck do you use your vpss' for?

10 euro per month to add 5TB of disk space? I don't really believe that.

whatever you want..
personally i'd like to create a media/download server for kodi to use. i want to be able to download any movie / tv show from anywhere at incredible speeds and stream the best quality copy right to kodi.

already have one on a shitty p4 sitting in my basement. would rather have it out somewhere else better connected to power and easier to scale the storage as I see fit.

webdev stuff

instead of buying and using a local nas you rent one ?
>whatever you want..
yeah i know i want one, but dunno for what reason :D

isn't it easier with xampp or some shit ? i'm doing my small projects local

just invest in a seedbox, you will save much more money

You can do a whole lot of stuff if you have a 24/7 computer.. I'm using mine for hosting a personal Website, a recursive DNS server, VPN server, e-mail server and also file server. Sky's the limit here. You can also host game servers, if that's your thing. If you're willing to get started, I suggest looking up for Docker. You can have a pretty secure and isolated environments for running every application that you wish.

>xampp or some shit

you don't develop on the vps, you put finished stuff so other people can see it

hosthatch, doesn't require verifying identification.

no, right now i have a local NAS. it's an old pc with a bunch of old hard drives in a logical volume. would much rather just rent it from some company already buying colocation with a better internet connection for faster torrent downloads. i could actually cut down my internet plan at home significantly and move that cost into a monthly vps payment. save on electricity too.

Have you considered using Raspberry Pi as your host? It almost don't consume electricity and can handle a lot of stuff easily.

I still have to power the hard drives.

But, anyway. The goal is gigabit speed for cheaper than a home gigabit line would cost. I can stream all my HD content with a low tier DSL line, even on public wifi in most cases perfectly fine once the torrent has downloaded on the VPS (always consistently fast)

ssh tunneling, media, personal website, game server, learning experience.

Are they in a controller? I have a 4tb hard drive with a external power supply connected to a RPi. It works really well and also doesn't make any noise

not only that, but if you were inclined you could even set up a bunch of vhost websites under virtualmin and charge a monthly fee for wordpress sites to restaurants with no web presence. far better than making a bunch of wordpress accounts or hosting accounts. just make templates with themes and shit all ready to go.

how are the speeds ? you can look up orange pi zero + it's nas expansion board, which adds sata.
I'm currently using my old t410 with 2x500gb hdd for some manual backups through the lan and moving files. but might move to somehting like pic rel and a single bigger drive

i have and 24/7 on raspi serving my temp and humidity and i don't thik i need more. thx for the recommendation tho

ah ok

i'd rather use a proper jbod enclosure if i was going to spend any money. my setup is zombified from a bunch of old hard drives yanked out of repair laptops in a logical volume. i don't care about the data, this is a half assed server made with something out of a dumpster. used to use a usb hard drive on my rpi hooked up to usb power from my home router. was ok, but i'm using that drive to cache semi-important backups. would rather not have it "always-on"

$15/yr
Use it as a VPN, torrent server, and reverse proxy/NAT device/port forwarder.

>Docker
>secure
lel

what's the service called? how much storage can you add?

If you're totally new to this stuff, docker will be overkill. Start with simple ssh'ing/remote config then setup a simple website (Apache or NGINX) just for testing. Once you're comfortable, learn more about configuring your network (internal and external Interfaces/firewall/nat) and go from there. A good beginners project would be hosting a VPN server (OpenSSH).

Not much, I only have 10GB.

OpenVPN, my bad

I'm actually using apache with the davfs module and ssl to serve up media for kodi. authentication and everything, it's neat as fuck. can just plug in my rpi and watch all my media anywhere.

OpenSSH makes a good VPN server too though.

>ramnode
>dual core 2gb mem 3000(?) gb bandwidth
>~$15/month
>amazon scalping

ramnode is the best vps provider i've used. their servers are by far the fastest and most reliable. support is fast and competent. pricing is fair

fuck, i've been thinking about a vpn lately, this seems a decent project.

i have some experience with apache nginx, networks too, altho mostly theoretical, that'd be really a decent project!

fuck i have to prepare for exams, sometimes i hate /g

SSDNodes is the clear winner here. Their prices and service are unbeatable.

Yea, tunnelling using ssh also works, but I think it is a bit easier to setup a OpenVPN as you just need a config file to run stuff.

Good luck man, it is awesome hosting and running your own stuff.

Check out this guide:

digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-16-04

DigitalOcean's community guides are awesome.

thanks mates!