Hello, Sup Forums

Hello, Sup Forums.
What does one need to know before buying an ehternet cable? Does it make a difference what you buy?

I want to buy a 30m cable and bring it upstairs

>pic unrelated

le bomp xd

no it doesn't. i had something crazy like 300 feet cut for when my router was shit and couldn't get through the walls at my neighbors house.

lesson: get a good asus router instead of belkin shit.

Literally just buy the cheapest one.

>ethernet cable

Considering your lack of knowledge on the subject I'm going to guess it really doesn't matter what you buy but look at the CAT rating of the wire.

BRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Get at least cat5e and you'll be fine

Thank you, my friendos.

Do they even sell anything below 5e unless you specifically look for it now? I feel like if I just went and typed in ethernet cable it would just give me 5e by default.

monoprice cables are thicker than cables for less so I got my company using cables for less now.

Both are great for the 5e 6a we buy.

If you want 100Mb get 5e. If you want Gb get 6a. (I know 5e *can* do Gb but it's hit and miss and incredibly susceptible to interference).

Mortar and chink shops still have them plenty.
However just looking up the first examples on Amazon or Newegg, it's indeed quite unlikely you'll find them there.

>got new house
>ran flat cat 6 under floorboards between every room before laying carpets
Best decision ever desu m8

>mfw play on a mixed volleyball team

Doesn't matter. An ethernet cable is an ethernet cable.

If you want 100 Mbit, get Cat5e, if you want 1 Gbit, get Cat6.

That's the only thing there is to know. Length doesn't affect the strength like it does a coaxial cable until you start exceeding 300 ft cables.

But a 90 ft cable isn't going to give different performance over a 6 ft cable given they are both the same category ethernet cable.

>not using at least CAT 7a
Plebs

>not using DOG 19z
Are you even trying?

You are retarded. Cat5e is enough for 1Gbit/s. Cat6 is only worth it if you want to run 10Gbit/s, and that's not something OP will have any time soon (or ever).

>shitty american power plugs
>thick audiophile cables.
Ok buddy.

Every time I visit I fear that I will die from just looking at those inferior shit outlets

*Superior

Fixed that for you :^)

>implying I use anything so inferior, 7a is merely the pleb cut off

Pic related, workers installing my fiber optic cable

My wife was a volleyball player and now is a coach. Dat ass.

To OP or whoever is reading - 300 feet (100m) is the maximum distance an Ethernet cable should go without having the signal cleaned up by a switch or router. Any longer than that and attentuation will start fucking up your communicaitons

Would just having a switch every 80 meters scale?

What is a repeater

noice

cat5e or better is all you need. I believe cat5e will support gigabit up to 100 meters.

yup, 10g networks are still prohibitively expensive. so much so that fiber optic becomes a viable option.