Can we have a thread about NAS, home and mediaservers?

Can we have a thread about NAS, home and mediaservers?
I recently moved places and have been playing with the thought to put something together for all my TV and anime needs and some other misc stuff. Preferably something with low power usage so it can stay on 24/7 and fetch stuff from the web when it releases.
Would freenas with plex and sonarr be the way to go for something like that?

Also post your rigs if you have something like that setup, thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/XxFireSpawnerxX/saved/pMh23C
logic-case.com/products/rackmount-chassis/2u/2u-server-case-w-6x-35-hot-swappable-satasas-drive-bays- -2-x-525-sc-2306b/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Old HP low form factor desktop with 2 esata cards, two ports each. 4x1TB Raid 6 under Linux Mint 17.1 xfce. minidlna, smb.

Is this a good home media server or am I aiming too high with the specs?
pcpartpicker.com/user/XxFireSpawnerxX/saved/pMh23C

Currently building a new media server on an intel s5520HC board with one x5660, will get another next month.

Is it a good idea to convert my old desktop into a NAS? I5-2500k. I would buy a small motherboard and case.

I'm pretty sure that 500w is way too much

Just buy and ODROID C2 with the eMMC option. Is a cheap server and media center.

isn't arm shit for plex transcoding though?

It'll use a bit more power than some of the other options, but probably not so much more that energy savings would pay back the cost of buying something more efficient. You might as well, if you have the thing already.

It is, but they don't really make high-quality 300W PSUs. There are a few 400-something models, but they're only about 5-10 bucks cheaper than the 500w he picked.

Don't want to be cliche about it but I dare to say it works on my machine. Granted, I haven't use plex.

Seems overpriced to me if you just want a media server.. I'd say just pick up a dell precision t3500/hp z400 or really anything LGA1366. The dells are like $100 shipped. Then swap out the CPU with a xeon l5640 (6c 12ht 60watt tdp) for another $30. DDR3 RAM is like another $1-$2 per gb. Should only cost ~$150 in total then spend the rest on drives. Only problem I see is that the chassis can only hold 3 drives.

this has been a project of mine for a while. I'm running a readynas v2 duo and I want to move up since it's only 2 disk and makes a crappy iSCSI target for vms but what I really want is like:

i3 dual core (or something that can keep up with light de-dupe but isn't a huge power sink.
16GB RAM
soft 4 port SATA controller (since freenas specifically recommends against hardware RAID and recommends just JBOD/ZFS)
1Gb NIC, ultimately I may go 10Gb if price comes down enough.
removable drive bays would be a bonus

I figure 4x3TB should be enough for 9TB min after overhead.

I don't like any options really. They all seem way to much or underpowered and all the prebuilts are mucho $$

people think ARM is shit because they're using shitty raspberry pis

I benched my Odroid C2 and it was over 80x faster than my RPi 2

The RPi has such poor performance, in fact, that I'd be surprised if it outperformed old Pentium III systems

brb running some benchmarks

It's because the pi was made for advanced electronic tasks, not as a real computer or server

i thought they were made to teach computing... am I thinking of something else?

it's for people too dumb to use an arduino

and really basic computing and programming, not to act as a server or any other modern stuff

>it's for people too dumb to use an arduino
or maybe is for normal people who just want to relax and watch some movies and play some games?

What's your budget not including drives? Does noise matter? Seems like your being too picky because all of that stuff is pretty cheap and easy to find.

read this:
lga1366 stuff is super cheap on ebay. Even if you want to get a quality name brand like supermicro, the boards are only $60 for a dual socket atx. It would leave plenty of room for upgrades too. The l5640 is only 60w tdp compared to an i3 6100 51w tdp.

I use my pi3 mainly for Sup Forums, I love it.

this is obviously false, an arduino (or at least the uno I possess) will not run linux and allow me to shitpost on Sup Forums

I was aiming for max 1200 (canadian) w/ drives. 4x 3TB WD red @ newegg is rounghly 600

noise doesn't matter, just power and running freenas

>Also post your rigs if you have something like that setup, thanks
Literally all I did was load up my main PC with extra hard disks with shares created, anything needs access to them can just use SMB to get the video files.

My preferred set:

Kodi, not only series, but radio.
Seedbox, with transmission-daemon + transmission-remote-cli (I don't fear the CLI).
Web server with darkhttpd, ultra lightweight.
Gaming with Steam and retroarch.
BOINC, to share spare time to seti@home so I can help them find ayyyliums.

WD Reds are a meme. 4tb is the sweet spot right now for $ per tb. Just get seagate 4tb ST4000DM000, its almost the same price as a 3tb red. They have a lower failure rate than WD according to blackblaze and are cheaper.

Which leaves ~450 usd. I'm not going to include shipping since I have no idea what it will cost. Most of this stuff is priced from ebay.

CPU =1x l5640- $30
Motherboard= Supermicro X8DTL-I REV 2.01 $65
Heatsink= w/e. can pick up a 212 evo for $30
RAM= 4x4gb DDR3 ECC ram for ~$5 per stick
Power Supply= $50-$100. Keep in mind if you want to use the 2nd cpu slot you will need another 8 pin coming off the power supply. Generally "modular" power supplies have these. EVGA and Corsair sell them.
Case= $50-$100 for whatever you want.

Also keep in mind you may have to arrange the RAM in a a certain way if you are only using 1 cpu in a dual socket board.

low power consumption is for nerds

I have a Synology DS416play. Love their OS which is Linux based, running a debian chroot on it it's basically a Linux machine. For the specs they are kinda overpriced but you get ease of use in return.

WHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

even the hp servers dont make a sound, the switch and the firewall are loud as fuck though

Anyone got any experience with these Quantas that natex is selling? Says they have a Foxconn Reworked DA0S2MMB8B0 Motherboard. Can't really find a whole lot of info on them.

Also wondering about the cheap quanta open compute windmill servers on ebay. Seems like a pretty good deal for LGA2011 stuff.

You're thinking about hippies.

Typically use the following for my NAS

Plex - It's better then just browsing folders on samba
Deluge - Nice UI and easy to configure RSS
Samba - For accessing folders on windows, otherwise just mount through ssh on linux
Lighttpd - Directory mode enabled, I've got a couple of random files served through it that I might need to download quickly on to newly installed devices
KVM - Manage it through virt-manager, mostly for random projects I want to test out

All of that is run on an AMD A10 and 2 Seagate barracuda's in a raid 0, god help me.

Oh, it's also forwarded through a VPS using xinetd, openvpn and ssh shoveling.

but what you're using it for, user?

OP, you can do so much with FreeNAS and Plex. You'll love it!

My setup was cheap and shitty, but it gets the job done. I just have a NAS backing up my windows desktop and mac laptop daily, which backs up to its own USB-attached hard drive as a failsafe. I keep Plex on my desktop to send to my TV when I have people over for movies/shows, so the NAS setup is really just an easily restorable backup if I suffer a drive failure.

You're on the spot. Inexpensive device to teach children in school various electronics and programming.
Pic related

I have that same ikea desk.

the X8DTL-I is a very interesting suggestion, it actually looks like exactly what I want to build around.

>4 cats
those wires dangling would last about 3 seconds
stuff on top might last a day
>yes filters on all air intakes

Is there a better case than the CaseLabs Mercury S5 for my needs?

Specifically, I need an ITX case with seven optical bays: six to hold hot swap drive bays, one for a BD reader.

Can somebody explain the point of a home server to a tech illiterate retard?
I've done some research but I don't understand it really.
What exactly can you do with a home server?
Can i just use an old laptop as a server?

> laptop as a server
You can, and I have done that for a while, but you're going to run into cooling issues depending on the environment and what you're using it for.

>Basic stuff
you can store all you media in one place and be able to access it from any other machine in your house (or in the world, if you configure some stuff and your ISP allows it)

>more advanced
mail server
rendering server
a place to store/run virtual machines
host website
storing security camera videos
central operations for home automation system
databases
etc

Local
>NetGear ReadyNAS 104
>4x 4TB Reds Raid 5
>Plex, system image backups, file backups

Remote
>CloudatCost VPS
>Nginx web server
>Owncloud
>OpenVPN
>Socks proxy
>DNS
>Teamspeak
>Minecraft

No monthly or yearly subscriptions. I haven't had any issues with CloudatCost.

Thanks for the info.

for , what would you recommend I search for to view a guide to allow me to access the server from anywhere?

Why not a 1U or 2U chassis that has up to six hot-swappable bays and two bays for a BD player?
logic-case.com/products/rackmount-chassis/2u/2u-server-case-w-6x-35-hot-swappable-satasas-drive-bays- -2-x-525-sc-2306b/

not him but that's a sexy case

but would I be able to get a PSU for it that isn't screaming loud?

One of my friends niggerrigged a regular ATX PSU into a 2U case by cutting out the PSU area and screwing the PSU into the chassis with metals clamps.

Damn I likes the look of that.

Thanks.

I know that you need it, but not how to do it unfortunately

search something like "configuring a server to be accessible from the internet" or other things like that