Hi user

Hi user,

my beloved moto g first gen just died. I need another smartphone but it can't be larger than the moto g was. The only small smartphone with a top tier camera and CPU is the iphone se and this is a fact. I am pretty sure noone, neither android nor apple shills, can deny this.

So I ask you: what am I going NOT to like, or maybe even HATE in my new phone? Stuff like not being able to access the filesystem. I have not had an iphone in years, I dont know what's frustrating about them nowadys.

Thank you very much in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

adblockios.com/faq/
developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/FileSystemProgrammingGuide/FileSystemOverview/FileSystemOverview.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You don't get the customization that Android has. You also can't mod it as easily.

Kys jeet

>Stuff like not being able to access the filesystem
I dont get why android fags always bring this up.

iPhone has downsides but this is definitely not one of them.

Why the fuck do you need to access a file system on a phone?

How else are you gonna have meme anime backgrounds senpai?

Because sometimes you need to download a file from the internet or just want to quickly transfer files to it from your pc?

These are not absurd use cases.

But you can download a file from the internet on iPhones.

And you can quickly transfer files from your pc (its called internet)

Just so you know the iPhone SE has a bad front facing camera (the 5s one). The rear camera is great though. I'm hoping Apple upgrades the SE when they unveil the iPhone 7s/8/X.

>quickly transfer files from your pc (its called internet)

Are you implying that going to dropbox/drive/wherever (if you have an internet connection in the first place), upload a 50MB pdf, go on dropbox with my phone (again, if you have an internet connection in the first place), download a 50MB file, is as convenient as connecting a cable and transfer it instantly?

Thank you user, I didn't know this. Good thing I don't take selfies then.

>dont know what's frustrating about them nowadys.

Pretty much the usual:
>Must use iTunes for anything that isn't copying/deleting pictures when you connect to a PC.
>No native iTunes for desktop Linux (may not matter to you)
>File structure is convoluted. For example if you take a picture all apps that can access that picture each get their own copy of that picture, rather being able to directly access a single picture file. So if you access that picture with three different apps there's now three copies of one picture taking up storage space on your phone. This could be different now but I don't know.
>Sharing between apps is rudimetry at best compared to Android, my friends with iPhones have trouble with this all the time. You're supposed to be able to add virtually any app to the share menu in iOS 10 but sometimes apps just don't show as available even if they should be available or they have been available in the past
>Proprietary charging connector, good third party cables are pricey due to having a chip in them to tell the phone it's certified, manufacturers pay licensing fees to Apple for this and pass the cost along to consumers
>iMessage encourages ecosystem lock-in and gets people to nag their friends to buy iPhones because SMS/MMS is janky and people don't want to switch to platform agnostic messengers (only a problem in North America)

Pros:
>Robust software support. iPhone 5c is almost four years old but is still being updated. No Android phone from 2013 is still getting official updates. You get a good return on buying an iPhone in this regard
>Excellent after sales support by being able to walk into any Apple store and getting help. No having to fight a carrier to warranty your phone, or calling customer support for some foreign phone maker that doesn't give a shit about making good phones (looking at you LG)
>Easy to use I suppose, ymmv here.
>Good camera

So I can organize all my files and delete junk files, iOS builds up junk files over time but doesn't provide and easy way of cleaning up without a full wipe/restore, one of the many reasons iPhone owners run out of storage so easily. I also use ftp to transfer files between my Linux desktop and phone. Further more iTunes fucking sucks.

Thank you user.

I am not going to install itunes. I will just copy pictures with the cable and use GPM for music.

>if you access that picture with three different apps there's now three copies of one picture
this is ridiculous

Yeah I'm in europe so it's all whatsapp here anyway

Of course, much much more.

I havent used a cable to transfer anything from my phone in ages. And its better to have it saved on the cloud anyway

Only time I used it was when I needed to get all my music

>can organize all my files and delete junk files
That is useful on my computer, not on my phone.

>iOS builds up junk files over time
It also cleans cached files for individual apps automatically.

Different strokes I guess.

>the cloud

So you store your shit on someone else's computer? Do you pay for that privilege too? Feels good being able to back-up my phone to my personal NAS right from my file manager, and I don't lose all my shit if "the cloud" goes out of business or has a massive server failure.

If you're lucky it might come with iOS 10.2 or lower. That way you can jailbreak it.

I use the cloud for convenience.

But I use my computer to store and manage my files, not my phone like a retard.

>It also cleans cached files for individual apps automatically.
iPhone user here. That shit never happened to me. I have to use some crappy software on my PC to clean it. Can't wait to jailbreak this fucker.

>That is useful on my computer, not on my phone.
Your use case =/= everyone's use case. I'm not saying you're in the wrong but it's not hard to see things from another's point of view. Personally my Android phone is like having a full on PC that fits in my pocket. iPhones are more like a glorified feature phone with a touch screen and a way better camera. I say this because feature phones used to access the internet and run apps too, it's nothing special.

Yes it does. Every time you see that clock thin over an Icon its because its cleaning itself.

>not my phone like a retard.

>Your use case =/= everyone's use case
I know that, but Im just saying its useless.

Its fine with me if you must have something useless in your phone, but I dont, and most people dont.

Just like ricing

Never saw that. Source or some pics?

iPhone doesn't have a notification LED and iOS doesn't really support audio notifications for missed calls/messages.

File management, as you guessed, is also very limited.

>I know that, but Im just saying its useless.
>Its fine with me if you must have something useless in your phone, but I dont, and most people dont.

Well that's your shitty opinion and attitude. Last I looked that average person struggles with technology that does't explicitly hold their hand every step of the way and thinks Beats headphones are crème de la crème so I don't exactly value their opinion.

Nothing if you're not too concerned for your privacy and don't do too much in the way of serious computations. For instance I just use mine for music and texting (and phonecalls, of course) and leave anything work-related to my Linux VM on my laptop, and the SE works fine for me.

Will suggest G-board, though. iPhone native keyboard has really aggressive autocorrect and G-board doesn't.

What exactly is your point with that?
I guess you don't understand how notifications for missed calls/messages work on Android.

So when you leave your phone face up on the table as most people do you can't see it anyway at a time when a notification LED is most useful. I mean it would have made more sense to blink the screen on and off like MOTO display does ffs. Just brilliant, Apple design, top-notch as always.

How do you copy the music to the phone?

Points is you can use the led flash for notifications. But truth be told I don't like it either in iOS or android. I don't want people to see that I've got a new text or missed call.

>iPhone
>smartphone
Delusions.

>Points is you can use the led flash for notifications.
Not in the same way as on Android, no.

You need iTunes to make backups to a local hard drive, or else pay for enough iCloud space to store everything (5gb is free)

No adblocking for apps.
Notification drawer is garbage.
Can't set custom apps to open for certain events.
Can't autofill forms in chrome.

Thank you user

>iPhone doesn't have a notification LED
Yeah that is going to be a regression

Thank you user.

G-board was shit on my moto g, we'll see

I don't need backups, just music and pictures.

Yeah. I know that.

Import the mp3 to iTunes on your PC, then sync with your phone.

Alternatively download music streaming apps like Spotify or SoundCloud (I use both. SC for indie shit Spotify for well-known bands.)

NO RADIO

>then sync with your phone.
With a cable or what?
Can you copy files via wifi, from a (SMB) shared folder on the local network?

RADIO APPS
Everything not built into the phone can be downloaded. (Apart from a notification LED), so OP's only going to have to deal with OS limitations and Apple taking metrics on their every movement. As far as functionality goes, though, iPhones work alright overall. Even if you want a radio.

>Can you copy files via wifi, from a (SMB) shared folder on the local network?

Not him but no, iOS doesn't allow for such nerdy things. You either use it exactly as Apple intends/expects you to use it or you don't use it at all.

Some apps in the store allow you to do this I guess.

>radio apps
>burning up your data plan rather than using free FM radio
>Can't tune in to emergency frequencies when there's no reception or the towers are down due to an emergency or the towers are locked up from congestion

Yep totally the same thing

I've never seen them but I don't doubt it either. Problem is you run into the thing where files are copied to each non-system app that can access them rather than being able to access one singe file. Apple does this for security but it results in using up storage space by having redundant files all over the place unless you make sure to only use system apps for everything.

Plug your phone into your PC. Open iTunes.exe (or .out or whatever, not in the market for an OS debate) iTunes has a sync utility built in, so any music you've imported is transferred to the music app on your phone.

For instance, I got the Guardians of the Galaxy OST for Christmas a couple years ago. Burned the CD, imported the files into iTunes, synchronized with my phone via the above process, now it's all there.

Not super detailed but if you want to know more, there are plenty of tutorials around the internet.

Fair enough. Was thinking less in terms of serious applications and more in terms of wanting to listen to npr outside your car or whatever.

I don't need the detailed instructions. It's just that on Android I always copy files via wifi and being restricted to using a cable sounds silly.
Maybe it's possible on iOS with some app... although it seems that not all file types are supported.

the problem is, user there is no way to pass photos from an iOS device to a computer without third party software. You need to use icloud.com and download them from there, as for the music you'll need iTunes for that and get your shit fucked for not having correct labeling methods.

>user there is no way to pass photos from an iOS device to a computer without third party software

That's not true. You can access the camera roll like a removable drive when plugging into a computer, you just have to allow it when the prompt shows up on the iPhone's screen. This is ONLY for photos though and I don't know if this works on desktop Linux.

you can just disable autocorrect, iOS's default keyboard is the only one that doesn't look like ass when the system bar for copy and paste comes up.

Well doing anything via non-system apps is a problem in itself. Something to take up with Still, however you wanna do things is up to you, but using the cable is the least bloaty way to go about it, unfortunately.

I'll have to try that, never had any luck with iOS devices on windows or gnu/linux

Windows explorer is now a third party software

Fair. I like me a bit of the ol' G-board, though, mainly for its other features like the sliding type thing, which is for some reason not present on the system keyboard.

no, AnyTrans is and it's the only chink software I've had luck with.
whatever coats your goat.

ex-iphone se owner here, most of the following copypasta is true. Just get a oneplus 3T, it's even faster than the iPhone 7 plus.

Let's run down the list

Android phones let you:
>have real encryption with no backdoors
>download over 100MB over mobile data
>install a third party app launcher and icons
>use it as a flash drive
>share any kind of file over wifi/bluetooth
>torrent via torrent clients in the playstore
>install apps outside the playstore
>modify a few system settings to increase performance and decrease battery drain
>manually control complex camera functions via third party apps
>natively browse files
>view better colors via amoled displays
>browse Sup Forums and natively open webms inside them via third party apps
>extract/browse archives
>add additional phone storage via a micro SD card
>replace the stock battery with a bigger one
>add widgets to your home screen
>access important functions by swiping down

ALL WITHOUT HAVING TO HACK YOUR PHONE

You can spout all the "lagdroid XDddd---" memes you want but Android phones truly are more advanced than itoddler phones and the reason why they hold over 90% of the global smartphone market share right now.

Whatever boats your tote

It's not like macfags would deny a fruity toy superiority.

whatever slicks you dick

>access important functions by swiping down

You swipe on on iOS for the control center, what difference does it make? Good choice on the 3T, I'd love to have one but only Verizon has solid coverage where I live :(

For facetiming it is fine. what the fuck do you do with yours where you need higher quality?

>caring about selfies
kys familia

Have you been paying any attention to this thread?

You will hate not having different volume settings for notifications and the ringer.

Whatever licks your asshole.

>No adblocking for apps.
Yes there is - device wide
>Can't autofill forms in chrome.
use safari google cuck

Not him but there's device wide adblocking? user, I need in on this, hook a brother up! How do? Some app or us there a setting I haven't seen yet?

>>access important functions by swiping down
>You swipe on on iOS for the control center, what difference does it make?
More useful controls.

>Good choice on the 3T, I'd love to have one but only Verizon has solid coverage where I live :(
check again, t-mobile has been expanding quite a bit. If not then consider getting google pixel. Not as good as the 3T but close enough and miles better than the SE imho.

It's pretty similar to VPN blockers on Android if you don't have root. There's no root exploits for my Turbo 2 so I use DN66, works flawlessly expect it can't block ads in Youtube or Play Music. I keep an old ass rooted KitKat phone around for playing music that has Adaway and xposed modules that block Youtube ads as well as enabling background playback in Youtube. I just tether it to my Droid if there's no wifi available.

>AdBlock for iOS uses the VPN OnDemand feature. It installs a "dummy VPN" profile with a list of domains. The list of domains is controlled using the app. Every time some app tries to communicate with one of the blacklisted domains, it will automatically trigger a connection with the "dummy VPN" server (which is not a working VPN). This makes the connection impossible and results in ad being blocked in all kinds of apps.
>adblockios.com/faq/

>check again, t-mobile has been expanding quite a bit
Well I think they'll be an option if reciprocal roaming on US Cellular becomes a thing. Truth is I live in NH and even with US Cellular roaming they still won't match Verizon's coverage in this state, particularly since US Cellular has no native coverage east of I93. I hate cities and spend as much time as possible in the wilderness where I've had coverage with Verizon 99% of the time. Honestly I'll probably bite the bullet and buy a 128gb Pixel at some point. I'm hoping prices will drop at least around the time that the Pixel's successors are released. There's deals to be had on the Nexus 6P these days but the SD810 is steaming pile of shit and there's lots of failing 6P's now. It's not that I'm poor I just hate to pay full price for consumer goods.

omg i just got one the other day from my friend luke and he really and I both really like it.
u might hate that it isnt really android. like I wish i could see my files and stuff, but podcasts are so cool.

totally recommend bronzeville podcast and the scopp with heather mcdonald.

>if you access that picture with three different apps there's now three copies of one picture
the fuck, this is not true?? who came up with this lmao

>this isn't true
You can't know this when you don't have an access to your file system.

For security purposes, an iOS app’s interactions with the file system are limited to the directories inside the app’s sandbox directory. During installation of a new app, the installer creates a number of container directories for the app inside the sandbox directory. Each container directory has a specific role. The bundle container directory holds the app’s bundle, whereas the data container directory holds data for both the app and the user. The data container directory is further divided into a number of subdirectories that the app can use to sort and organize its data. The app may also request access to additional container directories—for example, the iCloud container—at runtime.

These container directories constitute the app’s primary view of the file system. Figure 1-1 shows a representation of the sandbox directory for an app.

>developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/FileSystemProgrammingGuide/FileSystemOverview/FileSystemOverview.html

oh well then
now I understand why sometimes I have 56gb occupied and sometimes 60gb (no new music added or new apps downloaded)

>Just get a oneplus 3T
You didn't even read the OP did you

That's right. Thanks user.

Thanks, I love podcasts!

I got the SE after 4/5 years of using android.
the lack of a file manager isn't really a problem (on android I used it only to access system files with root permissions to get old saved wifi passwords) and the photos management is horrendous. the battery is superb. the audio clarity is kinda mediocre. the ui is so fast and nice to use also continuity with mac is very, very comfy

>60Gb
>and yet iToddlers call android bloated

I have 54gb of music on it silly

You don't need a cable to transfer files from an Android phone to PC, you mong.

>>have real encryption with no backdoors
ITS A FUCKING SMARTPHONE! IT ALWAYS PHONE'S TO THE NSA LIKE IT OR NOT

Do you absolutely need it in that size? Coming from a small ass iPhone the transition isn't nearly as bad as you think.

Yes. I can't use a phone that is > 13 cm. It's a pain in the ass because the only manufacturers that make good phones that size are apple and sony.

So what phones do Sup Forums actually like that aren't 15 year old dumbphones? Apple is closed source, overpriced shit, Android is open source but laggy/not optimized as well and le botnet. Blackberry is dead as fuck, Windows phones are just Windows Phones

Used to be Moto G and Nexus
Nowadays it's Oneplus

Why not just buy another MotoG?

This is the only ``stock image'' I have ever thought about buying. Truly a remarkable piece.

This was my third one (always first gen).

Just work hard, user. As my mother always said to me as a kid: "[insert what you want here] finds a way.", I am a Jap but she says it to me in Engrish.

It went full circle back when my cousin wanted an iPhone. My mom would say to him "愛Phone (AiPhone) finds a way.", and she really did pronounce it that way.

And yes, it was years before the conception of Keit-愛 (Keit-Ai).

I hope you don't mean the update animation, where the apps not only DON'T get cleaned, but also increase in size?

This doesn't matter to anyone not autistic.

OP, you'll probably miss the T9 dialler.