Shut up and code.

Yes, commander

C++ is way better.

Rust is way better.

>code
skid

Kode*

dice.com/jobs?q=rust&l=&searchid=8430464633690

Wait until there's a second compiler by other people.

It doesn't matter.

This basically People hang waaaaaaay too much in the specific language, and sure you shouldn't port the linux kernel to Python, but other than than just fucking use what you know that can do the job.

Rust is fine but it doesn't matter if you use Rust or C/C++.

lmfao

Poor man's Haskell.

>mfw I code

since rust 1.15 with the ability to export macros through libraries and and the following stabilization of a lot of stuff has been getting a lot better

templates/generics are also heavily used what isn't always the case in c++/java codebases (but seemed to trend more int he last 10 years or so)
i like the way rust handles it and its macro approach in general since i looked into it

rust-bindgen also now has good c++ support since its used in servo to bridge with spidermonkey

if i have to start a new project or library i would probably do i in rust but i don't mind maintaing well organized c++ codebases as well. however if i were looking for a job i would stay away from any c++ job thats in microsoft land and hasn't had a complete rewrite on c++11 like unreal 4 did because i don't want to fix legacy problems anymore (did that when i started working in software, its horrible)

i would say they are.. equal?

I don't understand, a function is supposed to = y. You would just be writing void.

I have been programming in C++ for two decades and I honestly think Rust is probably the best language in the current timeline. I even think Linus would write his kernel in Rust if it existed back then.

No other languages can provide safety, concurrency and speed at the same time. Furthermore C++ is BROKEN for the last 20 fucking years. C++ is utter trash in comparison to Rust.

If you are lucky code like
#include
#include

int main(void)
{
auto p = std::make_unique(5);
auto q = std::move(p);

std::cout okay it won't work in class but not in global scope(?)
struct S {
template struct Inner {};
};

--> error: explicit specialization of 'Inner' in class scope
workaround:
struct S {
};

works. but
struct S {
template void f() {}
template void f() {}
};
--> function template partial specialization is not allowed
RIP workaround

There are more examples where C++ is proven to be complete trash. C++ and Java only lives because of the amount of legacy libraries. Otherwise, as a language Rust is so much better.

wait
template void f(X x) {}
template void f(X* x) {}
works but
template void f() {}
template void f() {}
BROKEN
>--> function template partial specialization is not allowed

20 years of retardation.

I just care about three things.
Does it compile quickly?
How does it handle library dependencies accross platforms (linux, windows, etc)?
Do they have a build system that isn't a pain in the ass?

I don't even see the point of Rust. It's mostly just trying to be a poor dialect of OCaml.

>Does it compile quickly?
Rustc has an llvm backend. Golang compiles quicker due to it's clear instruction on packaging. However compiled binaries of Go is slower
>How does it handle library dependencies accross platforms (linux, windows, etc)?
Cargo is amazing
>Do they have a build system that isn't a pain in the ass?
Cargo is truly amazing

It works the same way as Ruby, the function returns the value of the last command.

Well said.

C++ BTFO

they are both very good, however rust has no future beyond open source projects unfortunately, it's very hard to learn and it targets mostly with systems programming which is mostly established area

/dpt/'s C toddler are raging for some reason while C++ themselves are muted.

>/dpt/
What a fucking joke

Taking out of context, Rust is way better, but if you consider available libraries, quality of compilers, IDEs, abundant workforce, etc, C++ is better from a production POV, at least for now.
So if you have a large project you pay people to work on, then use C++, but if you want to write some code for fun, use Rust.

>Does it compile quickly?
From my experience, yes.
>How does it handle library dependencies accross platforms (linux, windows, etc)?
Very well. Like said, Cargo works very well at handling dependencies and makes it incredibly easy to work with. Moreover, the compiler is very keen on telling you where you might've messed up, why, and how to fix it on the spot. There are several times where I've tried to compile some Rust code, and made some kind of shitty mistake that would've likely took me several minutes to correct, but the compiler pointed it out and I corrected it in five seconds.