Best laptop in the market at the moment

Best laptop in the market at the moment.
Prove me wrong.
>Inb4 le 4 ports dongle pro touchwank meme

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ePm7WGDj3s&app=desktop
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9JJ56M0175
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anything above 14" is desktop replacement tier trash.

this

Then buy the 13" xps

Precision 15 5000 > xps 15

Thinkpad X1 Carbon is better

Conformed basement dweller

the thinkpad is such a meme

4 ports dongle pro touchwank

You don't fucking need all of those. This meme is retarded.

>no trackpoint

they are overpriced

Lowest cost XPS 13 in the US : 800$
Lowest cost XPS 13 in my country : 1450$

No thanks.

I've got a Dell Chromebook 13 though. Which actually got significantly more expensive since I bought it 18 months ago, Dell is really screwing EU customers at the moment.

The trump effect

Lots of things are overpriced, but that doesn't mean they're not good machines.

>Dual core ulv CPU
Lel good luck doing anything significant on that piece of trash

>want to do more than 1 thing at a time? fuck you heres a dongle

>connecting shitty deprecated technology to your new $5000 laptop

>SD cards that every camera still uses
>depreciated

> one thing at a time
> four ports

It's not my fault you're poverty tier user and are stuck with shitty old USB things. The future will come whether you like it or not and someday you're gonna have to replace that garbage.

You read a lot of news, do you?

Sure is a shame that the tb3 port is gimped

It's in the body of a 14" laptop
Unfortunately for Dell the new x1 carbon is in the body of a 13" laptop so that's now the objectively best laptop

Four useless ports that nothing uses so you're forced to use an adapter for literally everything.

>shitty old
>hey guys I'm SO tech savvy
>lemme use hardware that nothing supports I'm so advanced that my machine is artificially useless

>quad core CPU
>Desktop tier 1050
>Matte non touch full HD panel
>Thunderbolt 3
>97 WHR battery
>Infinity edge display
Yeah it's pretty fucking good

Every pro tier camera I own (I own no consumer grade shit cameras) uses CF or CFAST, so an SD slot is hardly feature that any pro is going to miss

You do realize in a few years everything is going to switch over? The old USB ports are as good as dead and living on borrowed time.

In a few years even your precious thinkpad will have switched. You only mad because apple did the right thing first.

How often do you even plug shit into your laptop user? Oh that's right, almost never.

People got pissed the air didn't have either net and such at first, claimed it would flop and now all companies are emulating it. The same will happen now.

When I have my laptop at my desk I have an Ethernet dongle, wires mouse, power cord, and USB drive minimum

t. retard

>Ethernet dongle

Why not just buy a computer with an ethernet port, retard

Ugh, same story here.
If you can be bothered to uninstall bloatware, look into Asus stuff. It's cheaper (at least in my country) for around the same specs.

>Non touch
>Full HD

So basically Luddite garbage?

>CFAST

Which just goes to show how highly they estimate the intelligence of their audience. You get to pay 10x times the price for the same storage with no speed advantage to speak off.

What use case do you have for touch? I'm not a granny or a retard, so that removes most use cases immediately.

The only use for a touch screen I see is if you use the computer in sales pitches. At that point you probably want a laptop with a tablet mode though.

But D810, 5Dx, 645z and other H5D have SD cards slots.
Some of them have CF for legacy purpose, but CF cards are deprecated and you known it.

All touch screens are glossy and shit

1080p on a laptop is more than enough and means the battery will actually last a long time

we both know that this has nothing to do with trump

> coil whine

because my thin ass hipster shit maymay

Not with the latest motherboards doe

It's a fucking Dell!

If check out their FIF figures before you make such boastful statements.

this, I'm super insecure about my toshiba that measure in at 15.6 inches when I pull it out. I like my 13.(something) Elitebook 8460p but it breaks my fucking back to carry it around so much

The fuck is an FIF figure?

Anything smaller than a FF DSLR uses SD, regardless of sensor size and pro-ness, including some medium format.

Can anyone recommend pic related for Ubuntu 16.4?
I need something to replace my MBP 2013, and I am sure as fuck not paying 1000 dollars more for that expensive gimmick.

Is this the 15" ? How is the keyboard? As good as an older Thinkpad?

>Prove me wrong.

I asked on >plebbit (because r/Dell is active as fuck) and they said that 16.04 with newer kernels works fine OOB. Install 16.04.2 and you should be fine, at least that's what I'm planning to do.
Friend of mine has the 9360 with Kubuntu and it seemed to work fine, even with the touchpad.

Yes, as good as any, not as shit as a macbook's, if you are asking this question then the answer will probably be no regardless

Nothing is as good as old ThinkPads. The closest actually is the newest ThinkPads

I beg your pardon.

I really wish the 13 was upgradable as the 15

For all intents and purposes they don't exist in America

Failure in Field or Field Failure. Basically the amount of reported faults of a product in a certain time frame or the warranty in the region where it is sold.

When I used to work in industry it was a period of a year but this was a while back and I don't know if this has changed.

Anyway, why not Google Dell's FIF rate. You might not get a figure but you will see some interesting stories.

I personally wouldn't touch their gear with a barge pole but each to his own I suppose.

X1 Carbon is better, unless you care about gayming on a laptop (PS:kys)

The keyboard is the one thing that keeps the XPS from being the best laptop. It's shittier than the 2015 MBP.

Are there any 15" ThinkPad's with no number pad and the touchpad directly in the center like this? I hate how touchpads are often on the left side, so stupid

The XPS 13 is objectively inferior to a fucking HP
The 15 at least has its own market help down with a 1050 in that form factor but the 13 is pointless

T520

They have issues (and solutions) with Linux audio

>no numpad
>tons of space to the sides

Thank you

remember when all the Dell shills started shutting up?
youtube.com/watch?v=-ePm7WGDj3s&app=desktop

Is the screen accurate enough for front-end stuff? So far I haven't seen any reviews that praises the XPS's lineup for how accurate the color of the display is.

I'm a sysadmin, we used to have some XPS 15's at my company (current model) but they often had issues related to build qualiy and using new technology that wasn't grown up enough. I love the idea of them but that just killed the dream for me.

the precisions (7510 / 7710) are better if you wanna get shit done. more ports, internal space for two drives (ssd + hdd), and an old school trackpad + touchstick.

See if you boil that down into actual software and hardware compatibility or any actual problems instead of saying irrelevant generic mumbling, you STILL look like a complete fucking retard

I have this laptop coming in a few days. The 1050 will hold me for a while, but will an egpu be viable in a years or two, assuming it gets certification? I know it has the gimped two lane tb3 port, but will that make a huge difference if I'm gaming on an external display?

>(SSD + HDD)
You mean 2.5" and 2.5" don't you

Yes it'll make a difference

Probably means m.2 + 2.5". No Ultrabook a have room for 2 2.5" drives

macbook pro

I was trying to just point out that nobody should ever buy an aftermarket 2.5" HDD

Bummer. Why is that? From what I read it should only be a 5-10% performance drop, which I doubt I would even notice much, but it's really difficult to find reliable information.

Depends on your GPU and its PCIe bandwidth honestly
It shouldn't make a huge difference if it's still got modern PCIe-tier bandwidth but I honestly don't know how weak TB3 is in the first place
Sending the output back into your laptop screen will be difficult, gimped by bandwidth and possibly downright impossible depending on what egpu hardware you have

Yeah, it seems looping back to the internal display would take the harder hit for this laptop, but since it's such a high latency display to begin with, I wouldn't really want to use it for anything other than casual gaming anyways.

2x 3.0 lanes should deliver 16 GB/s shared bidirectionally. Assuming you weren't sending it back to the internal display, how would I be able to check if this is enough speed for an egpu or specific card? I don't know what information I need to look for to find that. Thank you!

i meant m2 and sata, yes. it's fantastic.

You're gonna be severely gimped, even PCIe 3.0 x4 starts losing like 5-10% performance (with the highest end gpus possible), the question is just how much you're gonna lose with the specific card you're planning on
I'd start off by looking at a GPUs performance in different PCIe slots but I feel like that's not so relevant with an egpu over TB

Damn, I was really hoping it would be a workable solution to not needing a desktop at all when I already have a laptop that works so well. Thank you for your help!

I mean wait for egpus to really come around, there's like 3 with any support at the moment, I'm sure somebody will make a solution for all the good folks who just happen to be caught in the USB spec-shift, there's more than enough "almost TB3" laptops for someone to make money from getting it to work

Egpu is basically just a concept for thunderbolt 3. It needs like 10x the bandwidth to actually have desktop performance

PCIe 3.0 x4 isn't enough?
You know, for a modest GPU, not some 300w beast you're plugging your laptop into

It's not about power, it's about bandwidth

Why are the XPS memed so much when Latitudes exist and they actually have good keyboards? Only because muh bezels?

I care about compiling and running complex algorithms locally without having to buy a desktop.
Good luck doing that on a 2k$ dual core

Actually the Dell precision afaik have the same body as the XPS line but are immensely better machines

>Prove me wrong.
OK, done.

My Haswell X1 Carbon i5 and 8gb RAM for $350 off eBay beg to differ.

>in a few years

Oh, thanks, Steve. I really appreciate you selling a computer for $1500 that will only be efficient in 3 years, which is right around the time I'll be buying a new computer.

How exactly?
The only difference is that they have workstation GPUs instead of consumer ones and perform worse for general purpose tasks.
XPS 13/15 are way superior for the general consumer.

> plastic trackpad
Why are they still doing this? Literally disgusting for a expensive laptop. Make it glass and it will be the perfect macbook clone.

I picked up a used xps 13 9343, touch screen 8gb i5 256ssd for $560 recently and really can't complain. Its just over a year old and the 3200*1800 res is a bit weird, but goddamn is it pretty and lasts a long time

No real docking station support. Kid level trash and not a useful business tier machine. Have fun fucking with USB 3 docks and their shit connect/disconnect spasms constantly.

Sure but you can get all the same for less with a P50/P60

Based Lisa strikes again

My only complaint as to the XPS 13 and 15 is the whole inside bottom

cheap ugly plastic keyboard, cheap ugly plastic touchpad, cheap ugly plastic surface

Everything else is so nice but that

If your "algorithm" doesn't compile in and run on a Kaby Lake i5 then it's probably written horribly or in some meme language like Ruby or Python. If it's really that complex then you have no business running it on a PC and should be on some dedicated deployment hardware.

Also QM is literally a meme because of how much the it gets throttled. You'll see maybe 10-20% difference in performance on the QM vs. a U processor with the same Ghz.

>shit keyboard
>shit trackpad
>shit webcam placement

Let's be honest, this laptop is only relevant because of its superthin bezels, otherwise no one would give two shits about it. Don't fall for this meme.

This baby is on the way right now. Thinkpad E570.

2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7-7500U
16 GB DDR 4 2400Mhz RAM
2GB Nvidia 950M
256GB PCIe-NVMe SSD
1920 X 1080P Full IPS display
DVD-RW Drive

$860 USD

Find a laptop with more bang for the buck

>protip: you can't

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9JJ56M0175

>PCIe 3.0 x4 isn't enough?