/cyb/ - The Cyberpunk General

"Tireless And Wireless" Edition

These threads are for discussion of all things Cyberpunk, from movies, TV, websites, games, and even current events.
Related topics range from fashion, to personal security and anonymity, to alternative and creative hardware, and much more.

>What is cyberpunk?
Cyberpunk is a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.

>>> Resources Old Pasta

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/9uYXMhVm
wakeup-world.com/2011/11/25/erasing-your-digital-footprint/
theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-how-to-remain-secure-surveillance
eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-youtube-viewing-and-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy
eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-google-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy-takes-effect
privacytools.io/
prism-break.org/en/
discord.gg/QNBzFhF
unsafe.space
jinteki.industries
nntpchan
freenetproject.org/
shells.red-pill.eu/
redbrick.dcu.ie/~entropy/alt.cyberpunk.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=D7XCAgj0TtI
wired.com/1996/11/ribopunk/
youtube.com/channel/UCnf7ZZpBsuTxnQgy1TKbTIw
127.0.0.1:8888/USK@yET8IzHqEXMLhzIJuIl1aO7aXx0tPEzh4JldQXx5las,xc1XLpeP9QiE1br5En~HcfwraeugGEwEc5TBKTjkjgE,AQACAAE/YAFI/84/
bbc.com/future/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wrong site
this is a consumer board

Where is Lepht? I miss you Lepth!

Lainchan and other sites are way too slow (not to mention the annoying wordfilter), and no other site has the same community. This is really the only place these threads can do well.

this is where Sup Forums comes to shop
whatever actual tech community was here left years ago, after the cancer of peak traffic made it unbearable to have any thread

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
-Some Indian guy or something

These threads usually do okay most of the time. I just keep forgetting to post them.

Which is more /cyb/, Netadmin or Sysadmin?

absolutely, you need more content thou, maybe even include some sort of challenge to keep people entertained, something like a programming challenge, or provide news

what the most active community at this point?

>"Tireless And Wireless" Edition
>Wireless

For wireless SDR is pretty big, enabling hobbyists to get access to huge areas of the radio spectrum. There is a pasta for this:
pastebin.com/9uYXMhVm

See also radio thread at

>Suggestions for new resources are welcome.
You might want to link to the news:alt.cyberpunk FAQ. Slightly old, the newsgroup still sees some activity.

Sharing tips (obviously I am not an expert):

1. Use browser addons for security, privacy, browsing experience, etc.
2. Don't save your password on a plaintext on your computer, create and remember one good main password and let a password manager like KeePassX that has autocomplete generate the rest.
3. Buy a router compatible with OpenWrt and install OpenWrt.

Some links of interest:

Erasing Your Digital Footprint
wakeup-world.com/2011/11/25/erasing-your-digital-footprint/

NSA surveillance: how to stay secure
theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-how-to-remain-secure-surveillance

How to Remove Your YouTube Viewing and Search History Before Google's New Privacy Policy Takes Effect
eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-youtube-viewing-and-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy

How to Remove Your Google Search History Before Google's New Privacy Policy Takes Effect
eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-google-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy-takes-effect

Privacy Tools - Encryption against global mass surveillance privacytools.io/

PRISM Break - Opt out of global data surveillance programs like PRISM, XKeyscore, and Tempora prism-break.org/en/

probably netadmin but sysadmin is close second it depends on what king of sysadmin you are though
Sup Forums is but it is not very productive
i think we should stay away from browser stuff unless we plan to rewrite what is in the wiki. i like you router idea maybe we could create a guide or gather other guides for making a router. i am currently in the process of doing so.

i would not mind seeing more things along the line of security

I can't find what you mean about browsers in the wiki. What you mean?

How do you block your ads?
Host file or Ublock Origin?
What have you been doing lately?
I have been editing and experimenting my host file. I have a question, which is better 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0? I have been using 127.0.0.1 but I head 0.0.0.0 stops connections faster as they don't "connect"/"redirect". Enlighten me.

the wiki goes over browser security and customization the security could be done better

yes please, update the wiki

Hey, I propped up some resources that some of you guys might want to check out.

Chatsubo - Cyberpunk Bar-Themed Discord
discord.gg/QNBzFhF

Unsafe Space - GNUsocial for schway kobuns with dangerous ideas
unsafe.space

And I don't run this page but jinteki.industries should definitely get a spot in the OP. Come, meet some chummers, and spill your soykaf in voice chat with us.

Also for the OP: nntpchan dot dorsal dot tk/b/overchan.cyberpunk/

It's an NNTPchan instance and there's also a .onion address for it somewhere. Once we get more posts it should start picking up traffic from other nntpchan nodes.

NOT AVAILABLE YET: Mobile clients to use the JSON API.

Returns with a 404

Your OS is shit and isn't handling SNI properly. Try using IPv6.

He lepht.

Moved the v4 address to a dedicated IP. Wait an hour or two for DNS changes to propagate.

hello lainchan

lets love lain

What do you think about wearable devices? Do you use any? Such devices are very /cyb related but current state of wearables is pretty miserable because many of them failed (google glass, pebble) other are just too primitive

what abaout her?

I am considering getting a smart watch but I find the need to recharge every day a hassle. Perhaps turning off GPS will help, that has been a power hungry function since forever.

First of all it has to look the part with functions (or "complications" as the term is)
- hands for hour, minutes and seconds
- window (or "aperture" if you prefer) for day and date
In addition, since it is digital and we are free to add to our preferences
- full triple date YYYY-MM-DD
- week number (used a lot here in Europe)
- GMT hand with noon up rather than midnight up - easier for sun tracking

Pebble got bought by Fitbit, so it didn't really fail so much as sell out.

Without Pebble I think we're going to start seeing an end to devices that were hacker-friendly at all. Also, in the case of the watches we'll see them increasingly marketed solely as fitness products instead of the lifestyle items they used to be.

Shit's fucked.

Trouble is when A buys B, A tend to kill B's portfolio, as happened here.

Then you have A buying B because of product P and after a while A loses interest. Google and Nest is a prime example, leaving many customers high and dry.

This is where open source can protect your investment.

BTW Google tends to lose a lot of interest in the strangest things in a manner as unpredictable as a teenage girl. I still miss Google Reader and iGoogle.

>Freenet: freenetproject.org/
Perhaps also freeshalls? Nyx was mentioned a while ago, I cannot see it has been added.

shells.red-pill.eu/

I like the nntp idea, will check.

Will add, seems neat.

Probably should add Tor and i2p too in the pasta.

Running Tor AP at home for free WiFi access.

I wonder how the Android project is gonna go if Fuschia turns out to be their Linux killer. The ecosystem hasn't flown so good between the death of Cyanogenmod and Google's attempt to create a walled garden like Apple's with their Pixel devices.

>Cyberpunk Themed Discord
>Cyberpunk
>Discord

>with their Pixel devices.
this was hilarious
they slapped a logo on an already obscure handset and made it dollar for dollar the same price as the itoy

Android has gone so far down the drain at this point that the move with the Pixel made me switch to the ishit. This is coming from a Nexus power user that has used the line since the 4.

They're all tracking devices. At least with iOS I get 4 years of sec updates unlike the 2 years promised on the Pixel.
I wonder when Google will get its shit together in terms of sec and offering a proper product.

>not joining the Oneplus master race

What would you recommend? IRC?
Pic related, it's you.

who /hyped-but-scared/ about live action GitS?

I want it to be good so bad but know they will skip the atmosphere that made GitS good in the first place

That pic is wrong, IRC has seen a resurgence and just because #Sup Forumspunk isn't shilled enough doesn't means is dead. Also every time I want to connect this thread is out.

Real cyberpunks use bitmessage and nanoboards

I'll be honest, Mumble is and always was the best option for VoIP, but Discord became the standard through the "free as in free beer" nature of running a server and ease of setup combined with some sort of viral marketing.

Chatsubo is also based on a preexisting community that was Discord-based, so for the sake of continuity and not having to move everyone we just stuck with it.

aaathats3as.com is my favorite Mumble server if you're wondering.

considered it
closest thing to the Nexus now that it's gone so it's a respectable device

didn't want to deal with their QC, update cycle and customer service though

I've had enough of chasing curry Roms
don't get me wrong, Android is still the superior OS if you value getting actual use out of your device. iOShit is great for vanilla corporats

I really don't want to see it mostly because I'm an autistic purist about sticking to the aesthetic of the original work

volafile (DawT) io/r/kUFzLJ
upload someting useful guys

Let's be honest with ourselves though. There's no fucking way this movie is going to go near the level of quality or cultural relevance of the original.

of course not. GitS was to some extent genre defining. I just hope it won't be a total disgrace to the genre

Fuchsia is based on a micro kernel written in C. There is noting new here, and no apparent reason to reinvent the wheel yet another round. There is HURD (kind of, it never really gets ready) there is however Minix 3.0 which works. Also L4 is there in many variations. Also the Plan 9 followup Inferno uses micro kernel and also virtual machine.

So why should Google do this again?=

At least Redox OS does one better by implementing this in Rust.

In summary: I think it will fail.

if you thing the aesthetic is they will fuck up i doubt it

>live action GitS?
It will be to the anime what Johnny Mnemonic the movie was to the original short story.
People who never knew of the original will like it, the rest will not.

To be fair, from the trailers the live action GitS doesn't look bad. I think it'll be a decent (perhaps even good) film in it's own right, it'll just bee a poor GitS film. I mean, they already appear to have changed Kusanagi's character/backstory and the aesthetic/atmosphere of the setting.

So yeah, pretty much this:
People unfamiliar with the franchise will like it. GitS fans won't but may still enjoy it as a film if you ignore the inevitable raping of the manga, original film and anime series.

What hacking hardware should I buy to up my cyberpunk game?

Raspberry Pi 3 and a RTL-SDR, or even better a Kiwi-SDR for that smooth GPS system.

That's a good question. One would think that with today's tech we would be more cyberpunk.

I am inclined to DIY, biohacking stuff. and hydroponics, not sure where to start thou.

I have an Odroid C2 and use it for seedbox, if only SDR could double as wifi...

wireless is not cyberpunk

>aaathats3as
My nigger

>Transmitting data through thin air
>Able to be intercepted, stealing people's internet connection with ease, without the average person noticing
>High gain antennas can be made at little to no cost, and sold to hackers who want them
I fail to see your point, user.
I totally agree if your point is security (I've been known to crack a few WPA keys here and there), and I would never use it on mission-critical machines, if I had any.

Plus, the quote itself is from George Carlin's "Modern Man" bit. I just thought it sounded cool.

My point is more from a personal standpoint, I want my shit wired down so 1. I don't have to concern myself with batteries and 2. am always in control of it.

>I want my shit wired down so 1. I don't have to concern myself with batteries
Power over Ethernet doesn't exist?

Thinking about doing this soon. Suggestions?

why are you doing it?

Buy a new router and wap. It doesn't matter how much you overclock a WRT54G, it's still an old piece of shit.

To have a unique and /cyb/ router, of course.

It probably won't be a WRT anyway. Probably a Belkin one.

>SDR could double as wifi
Deep inside Snapdragons there is one Xtensa for Bluetooth and another for WIFI and both are in reality SDRs. Trouble is, it is extremely hard to obtain documentation for this.

Also unconfirmed rumours are that also the baseband is SDR, possibly based on old Sandbridge technology that was bought.

>Suggestions for new resources are welcome.
Usenet News FAQ for alt.cyberpunk:
redbrick.dcu.ie/~entropy/alt.cyberpunk.htm

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

>youtube.com/watch?v=D7XCAgj0TtI (embed)
Can this be the future?

At today's lever of computer and network insecurity? Sure.

About Ribopunk: wired.com/1996/11/ribopunk/

This is what you get for using proprietary software. Literally.

I miss her ;_;

FW: Thinking, a cool podcast for futurology youtube.com/channel/UCnf7ZZpBsuTxnQgy1TKbTIw

underrated post.

How would FSF-approved prosthetic work then? More specifically how long would it take before shaking down all bugs and more or less unintended side effects?

They were supposed to be a platform to do other shit on but weren't marketed to the right seed group.

Glass is still in use at hospitals, and that makes a lot of sense, but when unlimited data plans died it became way too expensive. Maybe something will happen now that they're coming back - hololens in the home might be interesting

scarjo will kill that movie
she can't do anything that's not dead-or-confused-fish and that's not conducive to a major in any institution

Don't see it. Regardless of how it may be just don't support more shitty live action anime adaptations.

Looks more action-y, less intelligent.

What other tech sites you visit?
I am kind a looking for some kind of comfy tech places to be my sanctuary where you can share your interest with other asocial individuals.

Where can one undergo necrocybermancy?
Asking for a friend.

lainchain
endchan

Saving from 9 page

127.0.0.1:8888/USK@yET8IzHqEXMLhzIJuIl1aO7aXx0tPEzh4JldQXx5las,xc1XLpeP9QiE1br5En~HcfwraeugGEwEc5TBKTjkjgE,AQACAAE/YAFI/84/

you would be better off using an old computer for this

Now from 8

Agreed.

Old shabby looking boxes are also left alone. I used to work at a place where things were stolen all the time. We rigged up a Linux server that looked it came out of a particularly messy dumpster dive. It worked beautifully and it was left alone.

I read this in the archives
>portable piratebox with battery packs
>zsun sd card reader and battery packs as dead drops
>portable hardkernel micro pc with at least 4 SDR and understand everything about SDR and has battery packs and solar chargers.
How would I set up a cheap piratebox? Would running it on a zsun be viable just to play around and broadcast in the library or campus when I study or have classes?
Also, what would the third item be used for (hardkernel pc with 4 SDR)? I've done a little research into SDRs just now and it seems it would be useful to pick up a variety of communication signals. But why 4?

>2017
>Using Rizon's unsecured platform full of retards who ban you for disagreeing with them

These threads died for a reason, OP.

>What started as a purely literary revolution seems to be a close description of how society functions today.

Neural interfaces are getting there and already capable of stimulating phosphenes. You are 30 years behind the curve.

>What other tech sites you visit?
LWN.net is good but a little narrow in scope
Nature and Science are good
Wired was good but has rotted.
BBC World News is oddly relevant. God stuff. bbc.com/future/ is worth a look. And BBC also covers Sup Forums now and then.

why don't you try asking the same question for proprietary shitware and see if you can begin getting closer to a clear answer?

#REKT

I'm uncomfortable enough with having proprietary shitware on me
I don't need anymore

What's the benefit in encrypting my linux partition? Also, what other workarounds should I do if I want to escape the botnet?

This fucking makes me so angry.
Fucking cybernetic limbs. Engineers are practically better at fixing broken people than medical science. Fucking lizards can regenerate tails, other creatures can also regen lost parts, there are biologically immortal creatures, yet humans can't regrow shit and get older than die. Our best hope is a prosthetic limb and not any real medical fix for stuff.

Also that movies plot looks worse than that bruce willis movie what's it called, surrogates. That really doesn't look cyberpunk at all.

>full triple date YYYY-MM-DD
>here in Europe
ewwww

Why should we ask? I already know the answer. In fact anyone who has paid any attention the last 5 years would know.

>I use hashtags - on Sup Forums
I just wanted to say hello to the newbie.

I was just watching a video on that. I'd really only consider the benefit of that is keeping out a single malicious person from accessing your computer quickly.
Like if my crazy ex gf got to my computer terminal I wouldn't want her to be able to do anything with it, logging out and having the list script encrypted she probably wouldn't know the first place to start to try and unlock it instead of getting an easy login prompt even if she knew the commands and you can log out as fast as you can type, and it can fully encrypt even the tree if they try to list the file system so if they're not clever enough to know what gets listed in what order to sort out a pattern and start developing a key to read the gibberish they might just get confused enough to abandon even entering commands they know would work if it returns random garbage output instead of entering commands like username*password even though the return output of that would give a generic reply encoded that they could start to figure out a key to it comparing the generic text to whatever your encryption is spitting from the command not working.

>on Sup Forums
>does not detect irony

wew lad