/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9JJ56M0175
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w700/
youtube.com/watch?v=1qS1KDgVotk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>chinkpad
>nice hinges
pick one

My X220 hinges are actually really stirdy. They're just not as stiff as they used to be on IBMs

For whatever reason T4* hinges were asymmetrical, yup.

I think they ran some cables through one of them and to keep cost down they made the other one smaller.

So what's the best model/configuration of X220 I can get without SSD and at which price?

My intention is to grab it, use my older SSD on it and buy a new one for my desktop PC.

Looking to pick up a chinkpad for a trip coming up down the line, $400 max, buying used preferred, dedicated graphics over integrated, looking for the best vidya performance for as low as I can go. I've narrowed it down to a W530 as of right now with options from other brands picked out such as models from the Dell Precision and HP Elitebook lines, but I REALLY want the Thinkpad. Should I jump on it or should I go with my other options?

>not choosing a t60
CIA detected

Already have a T40 my friend.

>they ran some cables through one of them
Nay, no cables. Just some odd design choice, just like asymmetrical clamshells, screen bezels and whatnot on some other thinkpad models.

many of those design choices were driven by things like component size and placement

>fall for the IPS meme
>get a great condition x230t on ebay
>turn it on
>screen burn-in is noticable almost immediately

>not computing optimal image for reversal of burn-in and burning that in
pleb

I'll take screen burn in over tn eye cancer anyday

the tn panels on the x series are unusable

Call it autism but my even shittier 2570p TN doesn't bother me as much as this. It's going back.

>it's a "normie doubts your chinkpad will even run powerpoint because it looks like a 90s laptop" episode

except this is bullshit. it can display text. that's all it takes for a thinkpad display to be useable

by that logic you would probably use something without a backlight

you might change your hot opinion once you make it out of the dark basement

Using a TN panel in normal day time light conditions is torture. Why the fuck would you subject yourself to using these shit screens on a device that you're going to be working on constantly is beyond me.
media consumption devices have better screens sourced from good panel manufacturers. It's embarrassing that something that is marketed as an enterprise laptop is still struggling to provide half decent screen options in 2017

Yeah, probably, like that WWAN antenna bulge on X60's lid and some other things, but some sure have no reason whatsover, like, why the cutoff corner on X30?

hello Sup Forums, fucked my t420 screen and im broke, so the thing is, can I use a Lenovo Sl400 Thinkpad screen as a spare part?

As a matter of fact, I use a 200 nits TN panel daily. I don't see why that is a problem. Even under direct sunlight it's still readable.

it's not autism
if you're sitting in front of something for a long period of time daily you're going to destroy your vision if it's a shit display. My X200 with a TN is unusable in normal daylight conditions for example. how am I supposed to get work done on my commute if my screen is a fucking dim gray blur on full brightness?

I assume they upped the TN quality but it's still a shit buying choice if you're using your laptop a lot on the go

>Even under direct sunlight it's still readable.
Readable sure but why would I strain my eyes when I can just get a flexview or IPS panel option? They're ok for indoor imo

Is £500 a good price for a used t460 with shitty specs (i5 + 4gb ram + low res display)? will need a ram upgrade

What's a cheap ssd I can buy for my t420? I live in America fwiw.

crucial is pretty good

x220 batteries are so expensive. Ebay + Amazon have chinkshit for cheap, but the legit OEM stuff from lenovo is 200 CAD.

Does anyone know if you can replace the CPU in the LifeBook t73x?

Which AmazonBasics bag would fit better a x220?

pls respond

What is the actual name of that black scaley part of the lid-head?

Got this one online and it was dented in and cracked

Any good chink batteries for my t430?

Is there a 17in StinkPad?

I had a 17" HP DV7 that was the shit. Look for one of those.

P70

Heck no I will never trust HP again!

Ayyy arigatou user-sama~

outlet.lenovo.com if you live in the land of the free

Otherwise they are pretty fucking pricey.

Damn user u hooking a nigga up!

kingdian :^)

Just ordered a new X1 Carbon

how's it feel being a cuck?

>you're going to destroy your vision if it's a shit display
myth

yeah, eye strain is a myth

Any X220 owners here?

What is your CPU and Motherboard CPU temperatures at idle?

I just put on new thermal paste and I don't know if I fucked it up....the motherboard cpu didn't have paste on it, it had some weird jelly spongy thingy that i peeled off and replaced with thermal paste.

Need other people to tell me theres to see if I improved it or not.

Did I do good? Just bought this new Thinkpad E570 for $860:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9JJ56M0175

2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7-7500U
16 GB DDR 4 2400Mhz RAM
2GB Nvidia 950M
256GB PCIe-NVMe SSD
1920 X 1080P Full IPS display
DVD-RW Drive

In my case I already have an Intel i7-4770K+ Nvidia 1080GTX desktop for home use.

I bought this laptop for travelling and so I could play vidya + downloaded animu when visiting friends and family.

(my company-provided Thinkpad T-series only has VGA out, so it's no good for outputting video :( .)

my x201 doesn't have this problem

Your premise that everything but you favored technology causes eye strain is what the problem is. Nice jew move, trying to reframe what I said.

>reframe what you said
yes because eye strain and damage to your vision are so far fetched as individual concepts
>everything but your favored technology
Yeah, you're delusional if you think using a Lenovo TN anywhere with normal amounts of natural light will not damage your eyesight in the long run. TN panels are dim blurry shit and are miserable to use unless you're in a dark basement. It's sad how far you will go to justify your shit purchase though

I should have never bothered to respond to your single word shitpost anyway so enjoy your you

what does the red thing in the middle of the keyboard do?

Had an X220 worked great for a few years but had some serious overheating and it just burned out. I changed the paste but no difference

>E series
>~900sheckels
please tell me you're joking

You're not even supposed to buy memepads new

Hmmm I got mine as a certified refurbished...it seems ok so far...

I just wanted to puit high end thermal paste on it since I just did that to my old 2010 Sony Vaio and the machine runs like I just bought it now it's freakin amazing.

>the thinkpad meme is about older models
This used to be true, here on Sup Forums everyone is poor. I put a UXGA IPS and ran a X9000 with post-absolute-shit NVS board and 8GB DDR2 in my T60 (frankenpad) in 2011. Frankenpads were the last statement against the Lenovo takeover. It was however just fun. While we talk about build quality and all of that, how we can still use 10 year old thinkpads, we have to think. Does a laptop need to last 10 years? In many cases it doesn't. You have "build quality," that is more notable than some, but for what use? A 5 year old Thinkpad will never be a new Thinkpad. It becomes encumbering in many ways.

Do many people "need" a new laptop? No. Do many people "need" a car? No. What do you need? Food, water, shelter, will to live. Everything else is to improve life or put off inevitable death. Old Thinkpads are a cheap way to access the internet and watch Chinese cartoons. That's why they are so popular here.

In the "do I want to fall for the old Thinkpad meme" decision, you have to ask yourself these questions:
>Do I want to be "that guy" with an old laptop?
>Am I counting on this computer to perform an essential task?
Some will mention the space station, which has very different requirements. You do not want to use most of what fits those requirements.
>If I travel, do I want to constantly be looking for a wall outlet?
You will hear arguments of people who claim 12+ hours of battery, this is achievable on certain models if you have a young, high capacity battery and likely a young slice battery as well. Both of these are likely additional costs and add considerable bulk and weight compared to laptop batteries that power today's much more efficient systems.
>Do I want to spend money on an SSD and more RAM?
After using the stock 5+ year old Thinkpad, you are very likely to want to.)
>Do I really want an old Thinkpad?
Are you buying a cheap meme? Am I romanticizing at the expense of practicality?

shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w700/

Pretty good tbqh

It pleasures the laptop

>far fetched as individual concepts
no it's just that your assertion that all panels except the one you like are liable to cause eye strain isn't well supported

>basement
now you're reaching chang

Enjoy feeling of retro seasdie X40.

I used Lenovo TN long enough to know it's complete shit compared to other screen tech

Even media consumption devices have better panels

I suppose you're going to tell me I didn't use TN now since that's the argument you're trying to push since you have no valid points

>here on Sup Forums everyone is poor
It's not about being poor, it's about wanting good value. For most users, even pretty hard-core nerds, a T60 class machine would serve perfectly well as long as they were content with older games. In exchange you get a nice durable comfortable machine with long battery life (assuming you buy some chink batteries) and a more secure computing experience. It's also a fuck you to the rampant wasteful consumerist attitude toward computers.

In the last decade computers have gotten thinner but not really better, and for some people they have gotten worse. Some people have a use-case for a shit ton of batteries still, instead of one built-in battery. Maybe a person has a special application that uses the parallel port? Is there even a USB to parallel port adapter?

It's beyond a retro feel, it's taking more ownership of your computing life than is possible with the new botnet chicklet laptops.

Since thinkpads are so durable, does it mean that one with a broken corner must have had a truck run over it or something? (t series)

t. considering buying one on ebay

What does /tpg/ thinks of the future T470(p) ?

probably will be shit

look at how they gimped the x1 to make the yoga the "flagship" product

I'm an oldfag and have used every screen technology when it hit the market. Normal active-matrix LCD was a godsend for that type of technology, and wide viewing angle displays such as we saw in the original Powerbook G4 were amazing, but I haven't seen anything as nice as my plasma display since the CRT days.

You're just a fucking kid, you have no perspective.

I'm looking for a laptop that can run CUDA.The smaller the better.
Unfortunately, it seems that "business" means only Microsoft Office Powerpoint and Excel to the ears of Lenovo.
(And a Gaymer machine such as Asus ROG, Alienware, Razer or whatever produce these cringy machines would be too embarrassing to bring with me everyday)

>glossy displays
kys mate

>CUDA
I run that shit on my desktop with a gtx 1080 remotely

check out hp zbook studio g3
absolutely shit tier qc but doesn't look razer tier (and razer has terrible qc too)

clevo might be another option

>cutoff corner on X30?
makes it look thinner? it's classy though

No you're right. TN is better than IPS and we're all under a jew spell for thinking otherwise
Those viewing angles, added nits, color accuracy are pure fiction of the jew. There is no scientific way to measure any of these things to suggest that one technology is superior over the other due to advances in the sector

Long live 800 x 400 pentile Amoled and anything else old that gives me the appearance of a pseudo intellectual hipster!

neither the flexview or IPS panels on any shitpads I have used were glossy
protip: Not everything is a macbook

even when it was brand new mine still idled at around 50C. I don't even think the fan turns on until it's above 50.

>doing HPC natively on your laptop
i never could understand kids who insist on doing this, if you're away from your home computer / desktop / htpc why not use it for compute jobs?

don't kids these days remember preparing and then running jobs on higher powered machines than what they could muster at home?

fuck my university was running a power architecture "super" computer in the 1990s as well as next clusters, i usually used the next cluster because it was so fucking fast as long as a bunch of calc normies weren't trying to plot shit in mathematica

>hp zbook studio g3
How would this differ from a T470?
These are 8 years old troubleshooting an HP machine running Linux.

cool story :^)

actually my favorite panel is pixel qi

shit kicks ass and you can turn the backlight off and have "retina" / ebook reader sharpness

>Intel Core 2 Duo T7300
>2GB RAM
>HDD
>15.4" 1680x1050
>T61p

100€
Worth it? Are the hinches replaceable?

>turn backlight off
that is a pretty sexy feature

The god of autism used to use one as well

WATCH OUT FOR NVIDIA!

Hey /tpg/, I got this L420 for free from a family friend. It's pretty basic, has an i5-2410M, 4 gigs of RAM and a 250 GB hard drive. The Windows installation is fucked, filled with maleware of every kind, but a clean Linux install can take care of that. I know it is not one of the recommended models, but it seems a lot better than the fucking awful BestBuy HP I've been using for the past 3 years. I'm thinking of getting a new battery and taking it to university starting in September. Worth the $80?

Do you live with your parents?

it's literally not an issue if you simply run the computer upside-down at home, hooked to an external display

why the fuck are you niggers always asking how good a deal is AFTERWARD?

who fucking knows

Good tip, thanks.

Even if it's lacking sturdiness and shit it should still be pretty comfy.

>I'm thinking of getting a new battery and taking it to university starting in September. Worth the $80?
Run it through a few cycles and see what kind of battery life you can get out of it. Depending on how you're using it at university even an old battery might be fine, whether a new one is worth it will depend on exactly how you'll use it. I got through some of my time at uni with a 6 cell that eventually got down to 60% capacity and still managed fine since I just used it to get work done between lectures anyway.

id avoid it because nvidia was known to ship out defective chips to laptop manufacturers of this era. That being said my t61 seems to be doing fine although i assume its a later revision (as it has a t9300 core 2 duo with the nvs140m)

Yo. I know all about T61 boards. I can tell you if it's one of the bad ones. Happen to know the FRU or manufacture date?

So it's a no go? Haven't gotten a good hold of a thinkpad deals in a long time and i could be needing one soon. Would the price be okay for a non-nvidia one?

In case it blows up it has 3 month warranty.

I said I got it for free. The battery is $80. Sorry I didn't make it abundantly clear for you, cuntaroonie

At the moment yes. I'm a high school student after all.

It seems to power off after about 30-45 minutes. I'm actually not too sure what to expect from uni, I'm told that not all lecture rooms will have plugs at every seat so a decent battery is a must, which is apparently one of the main reasons our friends' son ditched this computer and got a Mac (aside from the fact that he wrecked the Windows install). Would it be a good idea to leave it for now and scope out lecture rooms come fall, to see if a battery is even necessary?

where do i find the number of the board? im curious as to why mines kicking on for so long

If it's an Intel integrated graphics board it's good
If it's an nVidia board made during or after 08/08, it's good
If it's not, then it gets tricky
If it's a 42W7873 it's good.
There are a few others, but it's best to simplify it and just for the Intel igpu

wouldn't it be fair to assume that the defective ones would be dead by now? like they are going on 10 years old

No. Do not assume such things. That is poorfag mentality.

I still buy NOS parts and computers on the regularly. You don't know the history of what you're buying if it's not NOS. Not saying that you have to, but when dealing with known high-failure components, don't assume. There will be other cheap Thinkpads that aren't nightmares if and when they die some day.

is there a way that i can accelerate the failure of my personal t61? it just sits here and collects dust and want to experience this said nvidia failure first hand

>It seems to power off after about 30-45 minutes.
If you've given a full charge (and left it charging a while even after it thinks it's complete) then is should be an accurate enough indication of battery life. Of course once it's no longer running virus-ridden windows and you start trying to optimise power use it should be a fair bit better but still kind of limited. Might be an idea to just check the wear levels to check how much a new battery will improve it.

>I'm actually not too sure what to expect from uni, I'm told that not all lecture rooms will have plugs at every seat so a decent battery is a must, which is apparently one of the main reasons our friends' son ditched this computer and got a Mac (aside from the fact that he wrecked the Windows install). Would it be a good idea to leave it for now and scope out lecture rooms come fall, to see if a battery is even necessary?
I would assume you won't be using power points in lectures, even if you can get access it's still a pain. It'll probably depend more on whether you actually want to use your laptop in lectures. Technically you shouldn't since it'll just be a distraction, but up to you whether it's worth paying that much attention.

But yeah I wouldn't rush to buy a new battery. If you're just using it to fuck around at home without needing battery life you won't have any need for it anyway.

interesting

thank you~

How about

>T60
>2GB
>SSD
>1024x768

100€

Fuck me and
>Intel Core Duo T2400

what capacity ssd?

64 GB Kingston.

I would recommend looking for a T61. They are old but most likely better than you need for anything you do on a daily basis. A T60 could work though.

T60s are max 3gb ram, whereas t61s max out at 8gb (expensive in the USA DDR2 SODIMM) ram

Both can have the comfy 4:3 and the t60 has some good display options available, especially the 14" version.

But the big question is: What are your requirements?

it seems a bit much, t60s are getting long in the tooth these days if the ssd was of a decent capacity it would it. As for the core duo you can easily just drop in a t7600 core 2 duo and be done, they are worth peanuts these days.

I don't know, but this is a fun vid. How much do you want for it?

youtube.com/watch?v=1qS1KDgVotk