/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

>tfw your mouse overnight becomes absurdly sensitive to moisture so optimal performance on a fabric surface is only possible if it's been blowdried in the last 5 minutes
This really should be called stupid problems thread for some things.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=exUaDtl05U8
microcenter.com/product/475353/Spectre_x360_13-w023dx_133_2-in-1_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Natural_Silver
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Will a wireless adapter for my desktop slow down speed, and if not what kind should I get?

be more specific

When I turn on my computer, the fans spin up for a couple seconds and then it shuts off. If I repeat this several times (20 or so, varies greatly) it will boot ok and stay on indefinitely.

This problem has appeared every winter and disappeared every summer for a few years.

This time, once it manages to boot, it does not stay on indefinitely. It shuts off within a minute or two. Sometimes it gets to the desktop and I can use it for a few seconds, sometimes it shuts down before outputting any video.

Having an Ethernet connector is much faster, you also tend to get priority on your network.

So I have a mouse (G400s if it matters) that my cat chewed on a year ago that I tied together with heatshrink over it. Today I thought that I'd improve it by splicing it together with butt connectors since the old job was wearing out. When I got done, it would supply power, but it wouldn't work. So I redid it, but it still won't work.

What did I do wrong? I'm absolutely sure that all of the wires have good connections.

is if this Ryzen thing is pretty gude im going to upgrade and pass along my 7700k to my partner

right now theyre using a core 2 quad and an old amd 4850...

would it be worth keeping the 4850 or can i just use igpu at that point?

I fucked up Sup Forums. I used EaseUS Partition Master to convert my HDD from MBR to GPT. Now when I boot it brings me to a screen that says
"BootDevice Not Found
Please install an operating system on your hard disk.
Hard Disk - (3F0)
F2 System Diagnostics
For more information, please visit: www.hp.com\go\techcenter\startup"
If I press F2 it reboots and I can push ESC for Startup Menu. In Startup Menu I get
"F1 System Information
F2 System Diagnostics
F7 HP SpareKey
F9 Boot Device Options
F10 BIOS Setup
ENTER - Continue Startup"
I can't find a way anywhere to do anything besides test hardware. Is there any way to get back into uefi/bios?

How will I know if Hiro starts censoring posts or allowing advertisers to shill on the site for money?

the cable?

just buy a replacement from ebay and swap. it's just a connector like on your motherboard/cpu fan headers. use a drop of glue to get the pads back on.

>10 seconds on google
fuck off

he already does

is that a yes or a no?

bench marks dont tell the whole story btw

powerusage, noise and shit are also things mr fucky wucky

Boot Device Options and BIOS Setup both take me to this

Right so I've uploaded a laravel project to my server running apache, the site has a login page and I can't remember what to do to get that up and running. Something along the lines of ''php artisan migrate'' or something but that's not working. Any suggestions?

I love you in the straightest way possible. I didn't know that there were replacement cords. Ordering now.

As part of an interview process I have to answer
>Information Technology: What it means to me.

How would you guys go about answering that? I feel like it means a lot of different things, and I'm having trouble condensing it down into a soundbite that could actually get me hired.

>bench marks dont tell the whole story btw
if you only look at the synthetic ones, sure, but that would make you a retard.

>powerusage, noise and shit are also things
obviously the iGPU will use less power and be quieter than a several year old GPU, mr herpa derpa

btw the 6850 is much faster than integrated.

you're welcome

Does anyone have suggestions for a cross platform note taking service. I need it to be able to support pictures, and have batch export/download features.

I like Simplenote but it doesn't support media and you can only share single files at a time.

evernote, google.

Sup Sup Forums, I wanna try different DE, would it be stupid if I install them all in the same system (im running kubuntu, and have installed i3 to try it also). I'd like to try them for a few weeks each on the same system and then keep only the one I like

VM

but a VM for every system? wouldnt that take longer?

guess I'll try it

I have Win 10 and Ubuntu dual boot. What's the easiest way to uninstall Ubuntu?

Anyone? I would really like to not have to install a fresh OS, although there wasn't much data to lose

uninstall windows 10

it's the easiest and you dont have to bother removing packages if you dont like something

>you also tend to get priority on your network

you don't know what you're talking about. stop. WHY would someone write qos into the embedded switch on a home router. that makes zero sense. stop pretending you know what you're talking about. wired is just faster.

what's the best non-botnet search engine?

>have imap account on KMail.
>go to Settings --> Configure KMail --> Accounts
>modify my account and go to Advanced
>try to change Trash folder from local to the one on the server
>it doesn't show up in the dialogue
>the folder is there though, even on KMail
Is it because the email provider has a setup where Inbox is the root folder and Trash is below it?

searx

I actually don't have any use for Ubuntu since I game regularly, I always had to reboot. Also same for video editing.
It's too bad but Ubuntu/Linux still dosn't have what it takes for me and slows me.
Anyways, is there a way?

Seriously this.

thanks, trying it now. startpage sounds good but it's closed source and '''''''''enhanced with google''''''''

Ok I have puzzled out that I think UEFI booting is disabled in my motherboard because I didn't enable it beforehand, so that's why I can't get anything done. But shouldn't I be able to get into bios anyway? I can't even open the bios menu

delete the partition and reinstall windows bootloader

duckduckgo

I want to passthrough a GTX 460 to a OVMF Qemu VM running Windows 10.

The GTX 460 doesn't support UEFI, yet a program GOPupd on the win-raid forums claims to update the firmware.

When using this fimrware and QEMU the VM doesn't even boot to OVMF and 1 core is maxed out...

Any idea?

Alright, here is the deal.
Computer turns off with no warning.

What could it be?

Should i stress test the PC to check?

460 is too weak

logs

power delivery or temps.

post speccy and PSU brand/model.

also this

My FX 6300 never throttled down to 1.4ghz when I overclocked it to 4.5ghz and tested shit out, but now it's doing it all of a sudden. What could be the possible reason for this?

I'm pissed off, I thought I had a stable OC.

if thisn this Ryzen thing is pretty gude im going to upgrade and pass along my 7700k to my partner

right now theyre using a core 2 quad and an old amd 4850...

would it be worth keeping the 4850 or can i just use igpu at that point?

looking total package here, power consumption noise, etc

Event viewer says Kernel Power 41.

Does Windows 8 have the same privacy issues as Windows 10?

Yeah telemetry was added as an update

yeah they backloaded that shit into 8 and 7

google it to find out which windows update to remove

and check out spyboy anti beacon for a start

Know you know what to google and come back with a specific question

No really.

Found mostly garbage, the only thing that made sense is PSU failure.

Will report in 30-45 minutes.

How to stress test a GPU?

hows your temps?

for what purpose would your partner use it for?

even that old 4850 is better than an iGPU but uses a lot more power and is much louder.

i'd recommend a 1050 or rx460 if there will be any recently made games involved.

yes it does, they retroactively installed that shit with updates.

furmark.

>Bits/(Pixel*Frame)

If it's 1.000 or greater, does that mean any more bitrate thrown at it is useless because it is already at optimal and essentially lossless quality?

>duckduckgo
Leave now and never come back.

Lightroom, a bit of Photoshop.

Some low key games like WoW, the first two Dungeon Sieges. Tho we're always looking for some fun coop stuff for the end of the day but not really interested enough to upgrade GPU for (yet).

i made a kubuntu live usb and whenever i use it, it works for a minute or so but then i get weird graphical glitches and then everything but the mouse freezes up. what do? im using a sansa cruzer 8gb flash drive

iGPU guy here

and thanks man

>sandisk cruzer
made a typo

iGPU is fine for that but could struggle a bit in WoW if there's a lot of people.

Is it possible for a filesystem on a disk to get corrupted beyond software repair (only solution is formatting)?

the SMART status of the disk returns an OK but the fs got corrupted and was repaired by the OS

The disk was accessible at one point but it's accessible again after the repair (albeit unstable)

I thought an fsck / whatever Winshit uses was an absolute fix for corruption

I'm developing something for Android, and I have a web scraper in python... Would it be possible to include a python script within a Java file?

can you replace a laptop's hinge with a thinkpad one to achieve full 180 roto on the lid?

How can I reinstall empathy in my system? It stopped working long ago and rebooting does nothing.

Is pic related real?

maybe if they use the same connectors in each end

fsck is just a consistency check. it doesn't attempt to check the contents of a regular file's data blocks, because it would have no idea what data is correct and what data isn't. if it's the data that's corrupted rather than the file system then fsck won't do anything.

I had a problem with my laptop and got frustrated after several days of trying to solve it myself so I sent it in to this computer repair place my mom uses. He couldn't fix it and when I got it back the CPU is slow as hell and it lags when playing 1080p video. What might be causing the slowdown? How do I fix the damage he did?

i had a problem like that a few weeks ago. it was the psu. my computer would just restart at random, no consistency to it. there was pretty much no log other than "windows shut down unexpectedly" (which just notifies that it happened, you can't get any relevant info from it). i got a new psu and it completely stopped.

yes. say hi to jewgle

bring it back and tell that retard to fix it

no, the data's integrity is still in check as far as I know. I don't care because it's backed up but I just want to get a verdict on what's happening with the drive.

the computer will crash even after the OS attempted to fix the filesystem

sfc /scannow returns no problems so it must be repairing itself and corrupting right after

At this point I have a feeling it's the hardware that's failing

I'm going to see what crystaldisk info tells me.
Wmic is supposed to pull data from SMART but I don't know much about it. I fucking hate that I still have to use Windows for certain corposhit

Sorry for the blogpost

>no woman will ever look at me like that
;_;

that's why we have our thinkpads bros

you mean the "oh, look at this obnoxious faggot" look?

Does Sup Forums still grief Chris Pirillo's live streams?
Must have been 5 years ago I last took part but it was hilarious

yes, and same shit goes for facebook and any other social media site. if you're logged into one of them, it will detect you on every website you visit that has a "share" button for that social media site.

install adblock and umatrix and block all social media sites.

this.

It's true that it's possible to do it for specific users. Mass surveillance is basically impossible in any form because of the storage requirements though. Even Google doesn't have the hardware power to add an entry to a database every time anyone posts anything on any website and then use that data to draw conclusions every time they use a Google service. Even if it was technically possible it wouldn't be in Google's best interests - adwords has been basically perfect using only trivial personal data for years now. They don't need to read your emails or Sup Forums posts, your Google search history is enough for tailored advertising.

I bet that they give (or more likely sell) permission to route data for certain individuals through surveillance agencies though. There's probably a list of a few thousand suspect people who have everything about them monitored through techniques like that. And if you think recaptcha is scary, think about the Facebook like button - you don't even have to click it for it to give away information about you, since having it embedded in a page will require a request to Facebook's servers.

update: tried it on a cd instead, same problem

redownload ISO and compare checksum

Does anyone here have G600 mouse?
I'm trying to figure out if mine is damaged or not.
If you peer right inside the optical part, is a dim red light visible?
Because I think mine used to have that but no longer does, and mine isn't behaving correctly.

all optical mice has a red LED there, yes and it should be pretty strong.

HP Spectre x360 13t

13.3" 4k IPS Screen

512GB M.2 SSD

16GB RAM

Dual IR Cameras for windows hello support

Intel Core i7-7500U (2.7 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz)

HP Active Stylus Pen

Convertable

Is there a better ultrabook for less than $1400

Can I run PS2 emulators on Elementary OS or on Linux in general?

Not necessarily.
Mine appears to be operating on infrared alone right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=exUaDtl05U8

a non 4k one for $800?

microcenter.com/product/475353/Spectre_x360_13-w023dx_133_2-in-1_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Natural_Silver

you either have a bright one or none at all and if you had one that used to be bright and isnt any more it's probably fucked

>worse keyboard
>worse screen
>worse camera placement
>worse battery life
>worse IO
>better
SHIGGY

the checksum is fine. when it feezes up there's usually some kind of graphical glitch so could it be a problem with my graphics card?

Lol you guys are delusional if you don't think she was attracted to him.

she wasnt. this is real horny look

Notice how she didn't make that look until she realized she was on camera? That's because she knows she just got caught 'mirin.

No she wasn't. She literally looked like "what the fuck is this guy doing?" You're just a DYEL

How can I differentiate a fs error from a mechanical failure in a hard drive?

Is the only way to know it's mechanical is if the fs fix utility in the OS fails to fix the problem?

I benched 285 in high school m8.

she didnt ever make that look you stupid fuck. she laughed because she noticed they were recording.

fucking retarded kissless virgin fuck off

download manufacturer's diagnostic tool

I benched 286. Take that m8.

>fucking retarded kissless virgin
Projecting much?