/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Consider a G4560 instead of i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 6500/7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build.
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any locked CPU build without a Z mobo.
>Consider a H110/B150 (UEFI needs update before installing a Kaby Lake CPU) or B250 mobo for any Pentium or i3 build.
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build or even budget builds instead of a HDD.
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050Ti, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/rzZqVY
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10#kf
pcpartpicker.com/list/W9tN9W
youtu.be/NXodAUMqaAQ?t=1m49s
pcpartpicker.com/list/gRXhd6
pcpartpicker.com/user/MitchDevano/saved/fZnXLk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminder to wait until Ryzen (release in 2-3 weeks) has real benchmarks released before you buy a new CPU.

Yeah I was actually looking for /pcbg/ to ask this.

I'm coming from a fx 8300 which is bottle-necking everything like crazy. I'm looking at an i5 Kraby Lake build, but I figure I can hold out for a few more weeks because prices for even Intel stuff may fluctuate.

Although, even if Ryzen is actually great, no doubt that compatible mobos will be limited and very expensive to the point of Ryzen not even being worth it until late in the year.

>"building"

>Although, even if Ryzen is actually great, no doubt that compatible mobos will be limited and very expensive to the point of Ryzen not even being worth it until late in the year.
Mobos were already finished for CES and will more than likely be more available than Ryzen chips.

>Building

I still imagine they will be price gouged for a little while, as will the chips.

intel 2xx (kaby lake) werent and all the same brands will have ryzen mobos so i highly doubt it

>anime reactions

I'm not buying Ryzen until there's a motherboard with ECC support.

>building

>non-anime reaction

Would I be able to control my case fans if they are 3pin with a y splitter?Mobo supports both voltage and pwm.

You guys never build anything. You just plug parts together... faggots can't wait for the day of the rope

Yes. PWM allows lower speeds though.

>comes on an anime site
>complains about anime
you have a room temperate IQ user. I suggest a suicide so you can (hopefully) respawn as someone who's not retarded. Reroll and good luck.

Another thing.
Mobo sys fan is 4 pin but ill buy 3pin since thats what my case fans are.
it will still work controling them right?

1. pick out a mobo to complete this build (4-dimm and under $100 is preferred)
2. should I wait for ryzen
3. besides the cooler, case, psu, and gpu (already in my current build), what would you change

pcpartpicker.com/list/rzZqVY

Your motherboard will probably have an option to control the fans via DC voltage rather than PWM.

Its this one.
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10#kf
Is it in the bios?didnt see anything about Dc or pwm

>should I wait for ryzen
yes

pcpartpicker.com/list/W9tN9W

Yes.

Shit OP

This came today. It's nice but a total meme. If anyone wants I'll do a write-up.

Were you the guy that was asking about it a while back?

Yeah. I haven't noticed any vibrating of the tray at all that the one guy mentioned. It's all on rubber washers and shit. There's a couple other issues with it though like the drive cage screws feeling like they're being stripped when you put them in and out though they seem to be working okay.

Pardon the cable mess, did a quick and dirty job because it's getting gutted in a month for the rest of my new build. This is with the window on btw, flash goes right through it.

why is your CPU fan on the left side...

Should I buy an RX 470 this week, Sup Forums?

You ask that like it honestly matters,there's no difference in temps. IIRC it's because of the fan cable. Made it neater to have it wrapped around the fan and the header is on that side at an almost perfect length. Kinda got messed up in the transfer though.

looks retarded and you could probably get better temps if the back fan is intake if you dont want to change it

>looks retarded and you could probably get better temps if the back fan is intake if you dont want to change it
Only because you're used to seeing them on the the right side.

>better temps
I doubt that. Or do you think I didn't flip the fan around to make it flow the right direction? It's still going front to back across the heatsink.

im talking about the fucking case fan you retard.

I know. But I don't see how flipping it around to be intake would do anything to affect the temps of my CPU since the fan on the heatsink is still in a front to back configuration. If I flipped the exhaust fan around it would be fighting the CPU fan.

I have my fan in pull for clearance and the only real difference is noise. If the fan is 100%, it sounds like a plane taking off. The extra thick pads Noctua included fixed this though.

youtu.be/NXodAUMqaAQ?t=1m49s

flip the fucking heatsink fan around aswell then you tard

>I don't like this thing
>this thing doesn't hurt me in any way
>this thing doesn't affect the performance in any way whatsoever either
>I'm going to keep calling user a retard until he changes it though

That's some weapons grade autism there, friend.

I never need them above like 50% anyway and it's a Cougar fan so it's quiet as fuck.

>Unfiltered intakes

>I have my fan in pull for clearance
Oh and I remember that this was the reason for mine now. It was interfering with my RAM.

Why not the 480? Better card for not that much more money.

is a 1070 overkill for 1080p?
I can get one on sale for not much more than a rx480.
I would ask if it would be good for future proofing but
>future proofing
>nvidia

I just got a 1070. Barring any fuckery in a year or two with drivers, it's perfect if you don't want to upgrade for another few years.

yeah but for $550 aushitter funbux I'd hope to get some millage out of it.
I still feel bad for my friend who dropped serious money on two 780tis the week before the 900 series dropped, those things did not have good longevity.

ah you're right, it's hardly even $40 more. Might as well do that, thanks user.

Yeah, I just upgraded from a 7950. Four years and still going strong, I only really upgraded because new job and decent amounts of extra money. If it lasts that long I'll be happy though the 7950 was amazing for the price. Got it like three weeks before the bitcoin explosion when they were ~$200.

>buying ram with fuckhuge heatsinks

nigga you moved the convo to this not me

Any major price drops coming soon due to new releases?

>nigga you moved the convo to this not me
No, no I didn't. You asked why it was like that and then told me to start flipping my fans around in ways that make no sense.

quick question, SeaSonic M12II 750 or EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2

exact same price. or save for the g3 750? just gaming and work.

pcpartpicker.com/list/gRXhd6
Is this fine? I'll probably get the FTW2 instead of the FTW 1070.

Recently brought a 1060 and waiting on ryzen to decide what CPU to get, problem is my PSU is a Corsair CX 430, should I upgrade it or is it fine for now?

pcpartpicker.com/user/MitchDevano/saved/fZnXLk

The only thing I'm adding is another 2 sticks of 4, same brand, and the graphics card. Will this work for games like rust or witcher 3?

no, i said it's retarded and you claimed it wouldnt make a difference. i guarantee it would if you flip the back case fan around and make the cpu fan blow that fresh air over the heatsink

it might not be much but that air is closer to ambient than the air that traveled some distance from the front to your heatsink (which btw has less airflow cus it's only pulling air through).

try me faggot

you can get a fully modular gold psu for $70 and why do you need 750W?

>bought 1060
>cx430
>thinks he can decide on what CPU to buy before ryzen is even released and benchmarked with real tests
oh boy what a clusterfuck

Sapphire RX 480 4gb any good? Can't get MSI.

cheaper than the 650w models. what's a fully modular gold psu for $70 that's highly rated?

I brought that 4 years ago dumbfuck, been upgrading parts for the last few months

>thinks he can decide on what CPU to buy before ryzen is even released and benchmarked with real tests

are you retarded? I said I'm waiting to decide which to get

If it's cheaper than the 650w models then it's not actually going to be able to hit the same real outputs that the 650w will hit. That's a theoretical cap and it's likely far less efficient and has worse power connectors than the 650w model.

>filling all dimm slots
>not buying a kit of as many sticks he wants
>last generation cpu and mobo
>not even z170 so he can OC the CPU for free performance
>two 240GB SSDs that each cost as much as a single 500GB SSD
>skimping on PSU
>gtx1060
>optical drive in current year
oh wew

>i said im waiting
then why teh fuck are you asking for what to buy before release

seasonic sx650 or evga g2/nex 650

>problem is my PSU is a Corsair CX 430, should I upgrade it or is it fine for now?

i'm just curious about the brands. it's the same efficiencies it's just how the sales are working(that the 750 is cheaper/equal price than the 650 because of a sale while the 650 isn't on sale.)

Get Sapphire or XFX.

XFX is out of stock, looks like it's the Sapphire then.

>free performance
>Intel K-series upcharge
>Cost of a Z170 board
>Cost of a decent cooler
>free

>it might not be much but that air is closer to ambient than the air that traveled some distance from the front to your heatsink (which btw has less airflow cus it's only pulling air through).
It will literally be less than a degree of difference according to many, many people who have tested this. Or you know. A standard deviation of any actual test. It makes literally no appreciable difference and as another user pointed out, it would be absolutely fucking retarded to flip the exhaust fan around into an intake when it's not filtered in an otherwise completely filtered case.

My idle temperatures right now are nearly ambient and it has never caused any issue under load despite an 800Mhz OC. You're full of shit and bitching about things you obviously have no actual knowledge of.

>>optical drive in current year
You really are a retard, aren't you?

You're asking him to pay more money for a CPU that's unlocked and a motherboard with an OC supportive chipset and calling it "free performance", read what you type before submission user. There's also nothing wrong with buying a last-gen CPU if you don't need current gens, low power draw, low maintenance and cheap. Don't buy new just because it's new.

you'll be fine but i'd update it later

you can get a z170 for $90-100
you can OC non-K CPU.
decent cooler is around $30
you'll be saving money in the long run

or, you know, you could just fucking wait for ryzen instead of buying old locked shit at intel premium price but i guess goys gonna be goys

are you implying bluray isnt optical?

what's the best case that isn't 200$+?

fractal, nzxt, cooler master, corsair, all make super good cases under 150 and most under 100

Whatever cheap, ugly shit that /pcbg/ loves to recommend.

>are you implying bluray isnt optical?
I'm implying you're an idiot if you think there's no reason to have an optical drive. A Bluray one might be a bit excessive if he's not archiving tons of shit but everyone that does anything more than use their PC as a facebook machine should have at least a USB CD drive.

>what's the best car that isnt $1m+ ?

i havent used an optical drive in almost a decade

get up to date, gramps

Jeez, there's so many user. Be more specific, black or white, sidepanel or no, how much cable room are you looking for, optical drive support or no, 3.5" support/SSD mount trays, general cabling and clearance flexibility you want, PSU shielding, etc.

>I don't need this, therefore no one needs this

user, not everyone is an unproductive NEET

What's your actual budget?
Rice or no, if yes how much rice?
Size? mATX, mid tower, full tower, mITX?
What are you using it for?

mate how can you not see the blatant shitposting holy shit you're fucking retarded. its 5am im going to bed cya fags and please try to not feed any more ok?

you forgot
>sound dampening
>dust filters
>top/bot mount
>box or tower or htpc
>cable management

indeed, so why would you use a slow piece of shit optical drive when you could use something superior and be productive with your time?

Any reason not to buy manufacturer refurbished monitors?

My new PC that I just finished today!
All criticism is welcome!!

Some specs are unreadable. So here is the original image.

fuck off

I posted specs and asked for criticism, but thanks.

this is advice thread not post-purchase commentary thread, fuck off

What are you going to do, replace everything we roast you about?

I will consider making changes based off of unbiased critiques.

What's with the super gay stickers?

>k cpu
>b250 motherboard
Why?

>this is advice thread
You dont have to be a dick to him/her

>unknown ram

kek

Newegg had a sale, and the K edition was $10 cheaper than the normal i5 7600.

It's actually a prebuilt and he's just trying to fit in.

I can't believe this meme was born at my university.

And I also can't believe shitty memes like this exist.

>VR Ready sticker
oh fuck you're right

Speccy is retarded, its Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHZ.

How much longer til GPU price drops?

nuh uh.

>I just finished!
someone else clearly finished that a long time ago, user

>It's actually a prebuilt.
Nope.

Sorry for shaky camerawork, but I just finished installing the LED's today. If you want to be technical, it was "finished" yesterday night, but with no LED's