Tfw only two or three companies still make "pro" pci-e soundcards

tfw only two or three companies still make "pro" pci-e soundcards
tfw they cost like $1000
tfw USB soundcards have worse latency than a 20 year old Soundblaster Live

fuck this market, fuck laptop kiddies and fuck Apple for dropping pci-e

Other urls found in this thread:

heavyweightbass.net/index.php/2016/09/08/audio-interface-low-latency-performance-by-vin-curigliano/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>"pro" soundcards
>renders of "pro" soundcards

>soundcard
L

>L

>pro sound card
>inside the pc
you do realise all the anti enegry inside the case will ruin your sound regardless, thats why its better to buy exterior sound card

>sound card
>VGA port

>USB soundcards have worse latency than a 20 year old Soundblaster Live

Is that even a thing?

Oh wow thanks, man. I almost trusted my ears and measurements which show everything is fine, but now I know that the sound is actually ruined.

Sadly, yes. The only USB soundcard with good low latency performance is the RME Babyface (which costs $800).

>soundcard
>in 2017
top jej

>not knowing all good mobos have isolated sound

Use a pro musician grade external audio interface and you will have low latency

Something like a focusrite or a steinberg

> 15 pin headers are exclusively for VGA

Why the fuck are you on Sup Forums?

>some company actually makes a nice $50 internal soundcard
>lmao senpai just buy a used SoundBlaster Live for $10 instead, it offers the same quality

Can you see why there's no market for soundcards like that now?

It doesn't matter how much you isolate it if you still use shitty components. Improvements to onboard audio have eliminated the use for shitty $10-20 sound cards, but good ones still have a purpose.

what do you consider to be a good soundcard OP?

Where are these 1000 cars youre referring to?

Have you looked @ the xonar essence stx ii? Has a decent headphone amp, can replace the schiit stack easily

You fucking idiot. what makes a real dac is analogue output stage components and the power supply quality. If the +5 and +12v rails are on the same as your yin fong shing PSU driving all the hundreds of oscillators and NOISY components on your MOBO and CPU forget about. If you ever opened up real gear half the engineering and cost goes into the power supply.

pro pci cards are a meme from the 2000's when a few pro 8in 8out 24bit cards needed pci bandwidth because early firewire and usb could not handle it.

I think he means shit for audio production or something. Xonars are garbage, aim sc808 has better drivers and sound quality for half of the price. But that's just for listening.

Is there a good DAC you recommend? No amp, no usb, just toslink to RCA.

What he said only slightly less autistic.

thanks man. 5% autistic 44.9% drunk 50.1% correct

Nah, the cheap internal card market was killed by cheap USB sound cards, not SoundBlasters.

It's mostly down to ASIO drivers. RME tends to be good. Xonars don't really have good drivers and neither do most of "pro" sound cards.
Pretty much everything USB sucks in terms of latency. As I said, the Babyface is an exception.

Then there's Thunderbolt, which is better, but has its problems too. Especially with the messy backwards compatibility from 3 to 2. Hopefully things will improve once native TB 3 cards come out.
But you're still stuck with Intel and a limited set of MBs/laptops.

>implying USB latency is anywhere relevant for the average use case

Thats prolly what the filtering caps and transformer are for.

Of course, being the consumertrash Sup Forums babby you are, you don't actually have the technical aptitude to recognise this type of circuit. Must feel great to have all that sand out of your vagina though.

Steinberg UR242 / RME Babyface

/thread

>anti enegry
ahaha

thanks

>Steinberg UR242
If it's like most USB Steinbergs it's mediocre at best. But I guess you get what you pay for.

Also people should really read this:
heavyweightbass.net/index.php/2016/09/08/audio-interface-low-latency-performance-by-vin-curigliano/

latency is fucking low dude

1. 9ms at 44k, not really
2. what's the actual round trip latency?
3. how usable it is at that setting, once you load the cpu more?

>at 44k
meant to say at 64samples, don't know your sample rate

3. No Problemo, i5 6600k OC to 4.2GHz

Pretty good article.

>once you load the cpu more?
I don't understand the rela goal of true low latency processing. Usually you use a small buffer size and aim to get a latency of around 5 ms to do tracking, with minimal fx/processing. If you need some fx most interfaces nowdays offer some dsp with direct monitoring so you can apply some basic compression, reverb, etc, very useful when tracking vocalists. This 5 ms latency is enough to track guitar/bass parts using virtual amps, if most cases.

So my question is, what are the applications for true low latency process? Is it only for situations where for some reason you wan to have a full FX chain during tracking?

>32ms

That's terrible, m80. I'm guessing there's an error or bug somewhere, because it shouldn't be that high.

Probally not Working good with Win10. Got an error Message after messurement but its not possible to read it

>Is it only for situations where for some reason you wan to have a full FX chain during tracking?

Well yeah, either real time FX or virtual instruments (synths and such). Some VSTis are very CPU hungry.

Onboard has gotten a lot killing most of the demand for PCI-E soundcards and USB soundcards destroy PCI-E soundcards at a fraction of the price with plug-and-play drivers. Why do you need such low latency for audio?

>Why do you need such low latency for audio?
Try playing the guitar with some FX through the computer. Or some midi drums.
Once you go above 10-15ms you can hear the delay.

Apple never dropped PCIe, it's just supplied over Thunderbolt now.

I remember playing through a P4 desktop with onboard audio, delay was like 1 or 2 seconds. So fucking off-putting to be hearing different notes than you're playing

Try resetting the PC, or maybe re-plugging the thing. I got a similar problem once with a different soundcard, after waking the PC from sleep.
I'm really curious what kind of performance you get, because I'm also in the market for a cheap-ish USB soundcard. I know I won't get PCI-tier latency, but still.

>Nah, the cheap internal card market was killed by cheap USB sound cards, not SoundBlasters.

Pretty sure it was killed by "free" built-in audio improving significantly.

If we're talking about casual users, sure. But this thread is about "pro" soundcards.

USB interfaces and DAC/AMP combos have replaced them
and rightfully so

What do you need a "pro" soundcard for? Are you a music producer?

Low latency audio.

not in the pro sector, rme madifx and avid hdx cards still run in every damn studio that's able to multitrack more than 64 channels, external interfaces are home studio tier

All D-Sub cables are designed for video signal, sound will be horrendous.

stop spreading bullshit, there's lots of dsub with 110 and 75 ohm made for digital audio and just as many for analog as well, it's super common in the audio world

yes which is why they cost so much money as OP was asking.Because they are restricted to professional settings. Most home "Producers" do not need them

Meh who cares. Get an external mixer board with a digital output and go straight digital SPDIF into your onboard (PCIe) sound card.

Personally I'm fine with the 8.348ms round-trip latency of my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB 2.0 unit.

Autists and real pros aside in this thread.
USB is not a suitable interface for sound.
Firewire is but it's being phased out.
Sad truth.

>current year
>sound card

for what purpose?

Read the damn thread.

How do you spot a complete idiotic sucker in 2017?

They buy soundcards.

You're dumb.

I mean it's not RME's Fireface latency but it's pretty good for a cheap PCIE 1934 Firewire interface -> Hardware

>msec
Someone send Yamaha a copy of the SI Brochure.

So thus far the consensus of the thread is that unless you spend $1000.00 on a fucking sound card then it's shit?

Thanks Sup Forums

TLDR
Sound cards are shit
Audio interfaces are good

>No gemstones round the caps to get rid of interfering antimatter?
Stay nub, scrub.

>Not using toslink into an external dac into an external amp

COME ON

i like you to point out audio latency

you sound so fucking stupid that you don't even know why you need it or might think it will make a difference even though it will not

So let's say I want better sound quality from my computer, but I want to spend less than $400, should I even bother!?
Or will the difference between whatever I buy and my pretty OK mobo be negligible?

If you're not doing recording and if you still have a PCI slot, it's hard to beat the price/output quality of an old Creative Audigy2 ZS from eBay. Just make sure there's still drivers available for your preferred OS.

same applies to you, my fellow young dumb frogposter.

t. low latency listener