/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

audiobot9000.com/match/sennheiser/hd-598-special-edition/with/schiit/fulla-2
twitter.com/AnonBabble

dt 880 600 vs hd 598

also is the size of the ear cup of the 880s sufficient to encompass the entire ear? i like the hd 598s because of the oval shape

Give 598 a try. Cheaper yet sound great. Yeah, oval shape is what I prefer as well because I sometimes wear glasses (mostly contacts though) and round cups bend my frames like crazy so I can't use them.

DT880 600 ohm need an amp, HD598 don't, thus the Sennheiser are better.

I own a fresh 598 at the moment and I'm enjoying them especially comfortwise but was thinking of returning them in favor of the 880s which cost about 70 more canadian dollars which isn't a big deal to me.

I do have an amp already.

The HD598se and the HD600 are the two peaks of value/money sennheiser has.

I have HD598 and love them; besides sounding really good, they're the most comfortable pair I've ever worn.

Note that they do sound better with an amp, although any amp will do (eg: a motherboard with that function, or a fulla2).

audiobot9000.com/match/sennheiser/hd-598-special-edition/with/schiit/fulla-2

I recently got a HyperX Cloud II because my old one went to shit all of a sudden and I needed one straight away to play a tournament (it was the only decent one in the store), should I keep it longer or is there a better alternative in the same price range?

>I own a fresh 598 at the moment and I'm enjoying them especially comfortwise but was thinking of returning them in favor of the 880s which cost about 70 more canadian dollars which isn't a big deal to me.

HD598 are very comfortable, but I do not know about the DT880. Since it seems sidegrade-ish I'd just save for something that's actually a category above, like the HD600.

Probably worth keeping as your closed set.

For use at home, for music, an open set would be much, much better.

Are you sure 880 will sound better? Heh, from my testing, they didn't exactly fit my taste. But maybe your ears are different.

>sidegrade
I thought the dt 880's were competing against the hd 600's?

Kind of new to the headphone market. What do you think of these?

>598se
wrong

They're the best if you need a headphone that
>is closed
>is full size
>is neutral
>is foldable
>is well built
>has a removable cable
>looks good
>costs less than $100

AIUI hd598se is just amazon-exclusive version that's black and comes with an extra cable.

It should be the same otherwise. Is it not?

hd558 is cheaper and a better headphone

Are those MDR-V6/7506? How does the sound change with the velour pads?

SMSL M6 goes for $135 and online people seem to compare it to the Schiit stack which goes for $300. Anyone have experience with the M6? Looking for a dac/amp for my HD650s.

minimally if you aren't autistic

completely ruins them if you are

It's really not as much of a change as other headphones since they are treble cans to begin with.
These are the only cans I can keep on for 6+ hours, while wearing glasses, and not have a problem

Cheaper sure, but better?

Unless you're specifically into bass, that is.

Fuck... the 4th walling there.

There's a qt where i live that uses hd 598 outside in public.
Do you guys think she knows that I can hear everything she listens to? Maybe she's autistic

Why can't I have been born a cute anime girl who likes headphones? Is it divine punishment or just the merciless random nature of the universe?

don't believe the neutral sound signature meme on these. They are accentuated in the bass and the mids are recessed. In a post-Beats world, any headphone with less than a retarded level of bass boost is "neutral", I guess. Anyway, their sound is very enjoyable with excellent clarity. Build quality is good, too. Good 'phones, for sure.

How's the sound isolation? I don't want people knowing what I listen to.

>ugly person is still ugly with headphones on
news at 11

i bought these just now.... going to test them in half an hour or so after im done with lunch

They don't bleed sound to the point of others hearing what you listen to, unless you play it at deafening levels.

The isolation (and comfort) can be improved with better earpads, at the expense of a bit of sound quality.

What you guys think of campfire audio? I am going to blow my entire tax refund on some seriously expensive iems.

What your weeb-metal and country playlist must be hidden?

Which model are you looking at? Shooting for the the Andromedas or Vegas?

I've got the Lyra II (and a pair of B-stock Jupiters on the way). Easily my favorite IEMs that I've ever used.

There's some people here on /hpg/ that hate Campfire and "boutique-y startups" because they can't prove that they're amazing or terrible by measurements alone. My recommendation would be to get an idea or what type of sound signature/qualities that you prefer, then bounce around on google reading reviews for the various models that fit within those parameters. While they all have great separation and imaging, they are all tuned very different from each other. Their flagships, the Andromeda and Vega, are completely different beasts. CA even started tagging their products on their page to help you find which ones suit you.

i bought a 668b and it is amazing.

takes some time to get used to but the price is unbeatable.

They're great. Swap out the pads and it's god

Got some last week, like em a lot

Yes but sometimes I listen to japanese ASMR and Nazi music

The Andromeda is actually the one I have my eye on at the moment because the tags are exactly what I am looking for. But, I am going to take a look at the Lyra 2 on your recommendation and some others before I buy anything.

I just wish since I am putting down a lot of money on these there was an easy way to audition them.

Are there (real) leather replacement pads for hd 598?

Lyra II would NOT be a good match if Andromeda looks like your jam. For that very reason, I went with the Jupiter over the Andromeda because the Jupiter has better low-end presence and response (and I like my bass north of neutral).

I do feel your lament about not being able to audition, though. I feel like I would love the Andromeda, but they may be too bright/analytical for my taste. Knowing that, I can't take that kind of plunge on them but I still REALLY want to try them. On that same token, I think I'd love the Vega but were I to buy them, they'd be to replace my Lyra II which I still have no issues with. I mostly took the plunge on the Jupiter so I can see what a BA unit is like.

>expensive iems
nice meme

I did!

it was a bitch to do though but I just wanked it hard and it worked.

That's nice, poorfag.

>Stop liking what I don't like!
>Don't spend money on things that I don't think are worth it!

Seriously, why do you give a shit what anyone else spends their money on? Why waste your time posting graphs and charts that people will just ignore? Poorfags gonna poorfag, moneyfags gonna spend money.

Don't be angry just because you can't afford anything over $10.

>campfire audio
Stopped by at their booth at the recent Canjam.
Ken Ball came across as conversationally awkward, not we talked much.
As is common, his entire line of moving coil and balanced armature designs are bass boosted, some much more than others.
Andromeda has the really low, frequency dependent |Z|, increasing with frequency.

Ken still has that history of being a cable vendor. I remember hearing about the 10 foot kielbasa of a cable he would lug around to meets.
He wasn't pushing the cables so much this time now that he has his own line of in-ears. The braided cables that are attached by default were okay, I guess.

>I am going to blow my entire tax refund on some seriously expensive iems.
Just don't. You're free to burn your money the way you prefer, but investing in expensive audio stuff is plain retarded. And when we talk about IEM, over $200 you're already into stupidly expensive ground.

Who else did you visit at CanJam (NY, I presume)? What were the standout products/lines to you?

Although I doubt that you paid them much mind, did you stop by Echobox and try their new flagship, The Nomad? If you did, any thoughts?

He asked our opinion on stupidly expensive IEM, and we gave them our opinion on stupidly expensive IEM.

If he wants to spend that much, he's free to do so, but for that amount of money he'd be able to buy some custom IEM, which give some real added value to the buyer, unlike some fancy ass IEM.

Are the standard headphone cables you connect to iPods and laptops digital?

Probably a stupid question but I'm buying an analog to digital converter and its important to me I can just stick my headphones in one end the the rest if the cables in the other.

>our opinion
your opinion

>he'd be able to buy some custom IEM, which give some real added value

Potential better fit and isolation at the cost of needing to get them re-shelled if he ever decides to sell them. Also, initial fitting can take several tries. I would argue that a UIEM is a better value overall, and you can get custom-fit tips (like Snugs or Westone's molded tips) for them if you want a custom fit.

But then again, that's just MY opinion.

Could use help picking out a new pair. Currently using Astro-A40s from nearly a decade ago. Have no idea about sound quality, just looking for something very comfortable that sounds decent. Wire coming out of the left can is a plus.

>Budget
$200 or less, but preferably $125-150 or less
>Location
USA
>Source
Used solely with my computer
>Type of headphone
Full Sized
>Open or closed
I use them just in my apartment, so I don't think it matters. Closed might be nice to block out some noise, but I doubt it matters much.
>Comfort level
The highest possible, I wore the Astros for 8+ hours a day sometimes
>Sound signature
No experience to know
>Past headphones
Only the A40s

The ATH-M40/50 looks nice, but again, no baseline on what constitutes "good".

Lackluster, more or less bassy in-ears with bulky and obtrusive housings offered for a high price. Flavor of the month(or year) products which do absolutely nothing remarkable.

When you don't *need* closed, go open. It does matter: Closed is a huge compromise to obtain isolation.

With that budget, you can go for the tried HD598. The HD598se gets awesome sales lately.

Philips SHP9500. If you want them to be an headset, add a V-Moda BoomPro.

SHP9500 with a mic cable is nice. They go on sale all the time. Yesterday, they were $55 @newegg. They hit that price about once a month or so.

Does this thread seriously need to be in the catalog at all times? Surely there are hundreds of these in the archive. How many times can you ask about the same 50 headphones. jesus christ.

It looks like your priority is comfortable. In this case the HD598 is a pretty solid choice, having comfortable as hell fit and relax sound signature.

There are 2 version of it, one closed and one open, so it's up to you to choose which one to get. Never tried the closed version myself though, so yeah

thanks for the pasta

just checked, they're $58 right now - still a great price.

I saw a few youtube reviews in which they said the m40x are uncomfortable, and one guy suggested to buy some $50 pads, so could you please report on the comfort? Thanks.

But we enjoy arguing about mid-fi gear endlessly! You would kill our only source of joy in this cold, cruel world?

So I've been using really shitty $5 earphones for the longest time, and now I wanna get a good pair that won't break after a couple of months.

>Budget
Preferably $200 or less, but I can spend a bit more if needed (Not going over $300 though).
>Location
Canada. Our dollar is kind of shit at the moment btw.
>Source
My computer and my phone.
>Type of headphone
IEMs.
>Comfort
As comfy as possible.
>Past headphones
Like I said, I'm used to dollar store headphones so anything would be a hell of a lot better than the pair I have now.

Pic unrelated

Sound preference?

With none given, I will say Soundmagic e80 or whatever Etymotic units fit within your budget. Neutral and not lacking in any particular area, and any of them would be an improvement over what you have.

I didn't realize there was a significant difference. I assume the ATH-M40/50 would sound worse in exchange for being closed, then?

Thanks for all the responses. Two questions:
1) Is there any significant difference between the 598 and the 598se beyond color? They both seem to be about $150 on Amazon.
2) What's the quality differential between the SHP9500 and the above? I don't mind shelling out the extra $100, since I plan to wear these as long as I wore the A40s, but it seems a significant jump to be both recommended.

>Who else did you visit at CanJam
Didn't have time to visit as many vendors as I wanted to. Being unexpectedly ill will do that to you. Might have had some things to discuss with Audio Precision otherwise.

The last thing that happened was Jude taking pictures of the Sony guys over my head as I unsuccessfully tried to get their new overweight and oversized "portable" player to read the contents of my microSD. Apparently it only reads the files if they're in a folder labeled as "Music".

>Echobox
Unfortunately, didn't visit.

>standout products/lines
Liked the Empire Ears Spartan Adel, don't recall which module. It wasn't the adjustable one.
Mrspeakers Aeon was nice.

>Sound preference?

I don't know a lot about that stuff to make an informed decision, so I skipped it. Sorry I didn't disclose that.

Question bump.

Can I expect actual better sound with an m40x vs. a QC 35? Someone save me before I buy the m40x meme to play music from my phone

I don't like muddied shit for sound, not boomy bass either

Cool. Sorry that you were feeling under the weather, but thanks for the impressions! Was the Sony player one of the NW-WMXX models? If that's the case, it's laughable that it still has to draw content from the same file structure that the fucking PSP did.

I love everything about these hadphones except the bass, especially bellow 100Hz. I was wondering if there's something that sounds almost the same but has a snappier and louder bass bellow that region or should I just use an EQ?

Budget 300€
Open or closed

X2

You get an extra cable with the se version.

Also, the pads are somewhat more dense.

>dem trips
Closed headphones strictly speaking they sound "worse" than open headphones, but not in the way you might think: closed headphones give you isolation from the outside, and isolate the outside from the sound they're reproducing, but that isolation also removes that spatial-feel you have when hearing something coming from a speaker, thus feeling less "natural" and more "inside your head". It's not easy to explain.

1) No, the special edition is just a 598 that doesn't look like an old Volvo's interiors
2) Long story short the Philips are engineered (earcups can swivel on more axis, non proprietary removable cable, etc) and built better (better materials, sturdier, etc); sound-wise they're different, both good, but some say the SHP9500 is the best open headphone in the under-$100 price range.

Isolation also introduces echo from the pads (which otherwise just damp rather than isolate, but do it echolessly). This translates into additional harmonic distortion.

Seems like Takstar Pro 80's/ISK2010 are clearly meant to rip off the Beyerdynamic DT 770/880 series, how do they stack up?

Never liked many V-shaped cans I've tried, but maybe an open set would change that opinion.
May pick up the ISK 2010 to try out out some open V shaped sound rather than going all in on the DT880 for X2 first.

>Mrspeakers Aeon was nice.
How was the comfort and build quality?

If you've got an external amp there's no reason not to EQ.

And it's a quick $30 to make the SHP's an awesome gaym0r headset.

>ISK 2010
I will probably pick these up just for the hell of it, I have no open headphones anyway.

Sounds nothing the HD650 in the treble

Same here user, although I recommend the SHP's for entry into the open world.

pls respond

>Budget
$130 tops.
>Location
USA
>Source
Computer, xbox, ps4
>Type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
not enough knowlegde to know that stuff i just want good sound.
>Past headphone
some skullcandy earbuds. the apple earbuds, some samsung earbuds.

>Looking for a dac/amp for my HD650s.
Fulla 2 is more than enough

just discovered pic related on sale at crutchfield.

wtf, /hpg/?

xpt100/hm5

50 cent's bargain bin headphones. They're all on clearance so he can pay his alimony.

if i saw someone over the age of 14 wearing these i would punch them in the face

Mixed reviews on that one. =/

From where? Leddit?

Not sure I've ever seen someone disparage the Fulla 2.

Is upgrading from schiit stack to multibit dac and tube amp worth it?

If you want to pay more for worse sound quality, maybe?

>is it worth it
Ask a proper question next time.

multibit dacs are way better than sigmadelta

Off to head-fi with you

It's delta-sigma and no they are not, quite the opposite.

> dacs sound different in the year 2000+17
topkekerino my friend

EQ.
kek'd

Best budget headphones coming through.