A big company should make a linux dist-

>a big company should make a linux dist-

Other urls found in this thread:

papyros.io/
google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/devices/samsung-chromebook/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

is that chrome? a

is it garbage?

If you don't care about the botnet, it's a pretty comfy OS.

>own Asus c302 for shit posting

>linux distro
>doesnt even have a terminal

I was thinking of buying ancient PC and use it for botnet stuff like this.
Looks pretty comfy desu.

It does you retard

It actually can

what's in bin and sbin?

>he doesn't know how to terminal

Not the guy you replied to but crosh doesn't really count, and crouton is cool at it's best times but can be unreliable unless you use cli exclusively. There's only maybe 3 people who are in charge of fixing it when a new chrome os update that's automatically pushed fixes it. It's flaky on ARM processors.

Until there's official support I don't recommend it unless you really want android, linux and chrome os all in one. I would honestly be happier with just android and ubuntu on this thing but it works.

With all that said, I still like this thing.

Posting from a Samsung Chromebook Plus.

ubuntu is from biggish company

it's a botnet

Yeah, Someone like red hat or novell or canonical.

they realized UNIX GNU/LINUX is SHIT though and are working on their own meme

>Fuchsia

dustbin

>wanting shitty inconsistent flat design 10™ on your computer

>ctrl+alt+t
>type "shell"

>calling crosh a shell
lol. enjoy your training wheels.

Linux generally sucks on ARM chips. It's not the problem of Chrome OS

My chromebook has an Intel N2840 CPU, and I'm all fine with Linux on Crouton.

by the way LXDE is the way to go.

No, I'm not talking about Crosh. Enable the developer mode, it gives you access to a "root" shell.

Developer mode or use secure shell

use papyros if you want chromebook felling on arch linux : papyros.io/
it's in beta though

H-how do I install it?
can I get an ISO anywhere?

>root shell is Crosh with escalated privileges

how do I add more desktops to lxqt?

The only way to do linux is debian stable you retards.

Neverware Cloudready is basically Chromium OS with optional paid support.
Chrome OS has been getting more and more like real OS, but it's not something you'd want to (or can) use as your main OS.

>What is Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

Did this shit finally get released?

I thought about trying it in a VM, it looks interesting.

I'll take a look at Cloudready though, thanks.

Flat design itself is fine, Microsoft are the ones who does it wrong.

Works pretty good desu, I've tried it on early dual core Athlon X2-s and it has noticeably less overhead than Windows or Ubuntu.
It just needs to be able to do more offline.

Pro tip: Install the CMT driver config to get touchpad gestures. You can swipe back and forward web pages and between tabs using two and three finger gestures. A guide is on the forum.

I really wish there would be a graphic design company that would finally make a usable and acceptable desktop environment. The new KDE is getting there, but it feels like I'm playing on a toy. Stop with the ToysRUs tier button designs.

>but it's not something you'd want to (or can) use as your main OS.

Depends on your use case. If your a developer, video editor, etc. of course not. Super users need not apply.

If all you do is read emails, browse the internet, and type up office documents it'll do that perfectly. There are schools and companies that issue ChromeOS laptops to employees/students for this exact case. Normies can't clutter it up easily with malware like Windows and it's way cheaper then Apple.

Nice mediaplayer
What's it?

I'm trying to libreboot an Asus c201 that I was gifted, wish me luck

No and it will never finally get release.

Agreed. Look at this abomination.

Fucking christ, that's hideous

That Asus looks so good I actually hate living in Europe and not being able to buy it

It's from the alpha version. That face has been removed.
The child is butthurt from the other KDE thread.

KDE is being killed by the autistic sperglords that want to run 2MB of RAM on their 64GB systems, redirecting all new developers into GUI technologies from 1992.

R8

Yeah but why? If they want minimal DEs then they have them. XFCE is a great solution for that. I'm a power user, I want something that looks pretty as I work. It's like the only reason why I won't switch to Linux. Everything looks like a fucking toy button.

A big company did... It's called Android.

The memes are really real on this. Since I can remember and that's at least since kernel 2.2 there has been a very strong tendency to keep it extremely traditional and minimalist, so the "console is better le meme" and "as little RAM has possible le meme" dominated everything on Linux, and they still do in a large part! KDE is a large victim of this since while it was always almost the only one deep into the newest UI technologies, the meme redirects new and unsuspected developers away from it that could help Linux in whole.
As a result we have the autistic spergastations of Sup Forums constantly announcing how "M$" is killing their Desktop and they don't realize they have done it themselves, by killing it from the inside.
QML or XAML or similar technologies are purely the future of UIs and KDE knows it well.

>people hate QML and XAML
W-w-wait what? Why? You can hate Microshit all you want, but XAML IS GOOD. It's like really good for development.

>console is better le meme
Then they should uninstall their DE and leave us the fuck alone. We get abominations like Unity because of this kind of talk.

>>a big company should make a linux dist-
said no one ever

>>people hate QML and XAML
>W-w-wait what? Why? You can hate Microshit all you want, but XAML IS GOOD. It's like really good for development.
That's literally what KDE is doing here but those idiots are fighting. QML is a practically the version of XAML from Qt. It was released as a response to it a year after it.
The development of it has not been much though in comparison.
It would be developed in no time at all without those memes.

>That's literally what KDE is doing here but those idiots are fighting.
I don't get it. What would they prefer?

u mad?

Chrome OS is pretty nice as long as all you do is
- browse the web
- edit photos
- check/read/send emails
- download and open common files (like .jpg, .png, .pdf, .mp3, .flac, .mp4, .avi, etc etc)
- play LIGHT games like Entanglement
- create/edit documents in Drive
- LIGHT programming
that's about it. If you use your computer to venture outside of that area, don't use it. Like, if you're setting up a recording studio, a Chromebook isn't for you. Sometimes Chrome OS does surprise me with the things I didn't even know it was capable of, though.

It's just the default player that comes with Chrome OS

android = botnet

>blaming the users for KDE's failures

People ricing their i3 desktops have little to no influence on KDE's development. If anything, since Gnome 3 came out, there has been an increased demand of more traditional desktop environments like KDE, so the question you need to ask is why don't any distros ship KDE by default anymore?

Gnome 3 was received so badly that it got forked twice - into Cinnamon and Mate. Then there is budgie, whatever the DE from Elementary OS is called l, and let's not forget unity.

Now some DEs actually want to use Qt, so that must be good enough — that leaves the KDE project.

Before they created Neon they admitted in a blog post that they hadn't communicated well with 3rd party devs. I think that, and most importantly the lack of polish (many crashes and bugs) is why KDE has been failing for some time now.

Which I actually find sad, because I really want that good old KDE vs. Gnome rivalry back, and also fuck all these new DEs that try to reinvent the wheel — KDE can already do everything they provide.

>chromebook plus
>not pro
lol m8 u could've waited and gotten an infinitely better machine

It's going to wreck shit up because Google gives these to schools for free or ultra cheap.

Look it up.

Invest in future generations and your settled.
It's only a waiting game for Alphabet now.

Sounds good to me.

>1366x768

It's hilarious because it's based on Gentoo.
Can't make this shit up.

Correct I work in schools and combined we have ~1000 chromebooks.

$310 (with education management license deal) Only affordable solution when you have 1200 students

Unity looks fine. Zorin desktop looks fine.

Runs great on 10 year old hardware

But how's it called?
Is it open source?

Please answer one question first and then the other.

It's probably just a chrome window.

The Chrome OS media player is literally useless though.
You can't download an .mkv and switch audio streams, load subtitles let alone have it download them automatically.
At least you couldn't before, maybe it's fixed now but I doubt it.

Can't you just install mpv?

I've used crosh before and it doesn't even have ls

0/10 that samsung model is the worst laptop ive ever used

It's a Chromebook m8, what do you expect?

>installing MX Player is too hard

what model is that?

Its pretty nice to use if its just for general browsing.

>crouton
You're a retard if you think linux is a difficult feat to accomplish on a chromebook.

I actually like Windows 10's design

Pretty sure it is this guy:
google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/devices/samsung-chromebook/

I bought it from ebay for $200 just before going overseas, I figured it would be hard to go wrong and I was right: speakers and keyboard are good, trackpad is ok, haven't used the camera and 720p playblack is nearly perfect.

Doesn't ChromeOS run so damned well because it's a specialized fork of gentoo? I mean I own the Toshiba CB2 and it's m.2 ssd is only 16GB. Even after several system updates the entire OS is still less than 8GB.

Yes, the OS is built from it's own fork of Gentoo, the only exception is that the fork is extremely crippled (emerge / portage is removed...)

Toshiba CB2 is also great. I paid $280 brand new. They also have a core-i3 model if you really needed more power from your CB. I think the i3 model is like $400-ish. I'm getting close to 12 hours battery life with 50% screen brightness out of the celeron model.

if that's the case, why don't more companies use gentoo forks? I mean look at ChromeOS. Yes it lacks features compared to even Windows (some networking options + a proper file manager) but even if google were to implement everything for it to have a proper OS, what would it be? 20GB total including any and all bloat they may install?

Plus there is the inherent security given by Linux (specifically gentoo, fork or not).

>kisscartoon watermark
you can't even pirate tv shows right, stfu

yup, the greatest irony of them all.