Home automation

Are you Pro IoT integrated homes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XlmxgpLAChI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't have a home

enjoy being remotely locked out your own home by the nsa

Given that they are all nonfree botnet pieces of shit. Hell no. What the fuck?

>are you pro-botnet
lol no

I live in mom's basement but if i had my own place I'd be interested

Only for things that don't require a connection to off site devices like Google or Amazon products. As long as all their communication is with other devices in my homenet I'm fine with it.

Yes, I would love it. But I wouldn't use any proprietary server to control it.
I can see it becoming a real security issue with normie that doesn't understand how it works.

If it was fully secure and properly implemented, it'd be OK.

But it's not. There is at least one company out there with IoT home automation products that has everything run locally on your own network. I forget what the company is called, but you buy a "server box" that all of their devices communicate to, and you plug it into your router. So instead of going to some "cloud" somewhere to get commands, it's all local.

And unless you forward ports in your router and/or modem, you can also issue commands and such when connected to your local network (so a VPN would work as well if you want to control something remotely). That is how I think it should be done and is the most secure way to do it.

Whether that becomes the dominant way to do it, I can't say. But as it stands currently IoT is just a security and privacy nightmare for like 90% of the implementations I've seen out there.

>not making your own

>There is at least one company out there with IoT home automation products that has everything run locally on your own network.
This shit right here, practically every "home automation" product out uses some kind of shitty iPhone app to control the whole lot.

Bitch please give me a web server or nothing at all.

I have light switches that can be controlled with a remote. I don't see the point of anything else. All this IoT crap seems like a huge meme.

It uses phone apps to control things if you want, but the hub that they all connect to is located on your network, not on some remote server.

Yeah and I found an idiot who has it open facing the web. You can literally turn his lights on from anywhere in the world. If you can into network security it's okay

imagine your coffee machine starting off by itself every morning when you wake up
your music player starting a playlist based on your mood when you come back home after work
the possibilities are endless
there is no such thing as maximum comfyness

I think all these things are good ideas, but personally I would rather have discrete automated devices than an entire network of linked devices. Shit breaks. I'd rather one thing break at a time.

I literally have to press 2 buttons to make my coffee.

Call me when your IoT shit can refill the water and beans by itself

Fuck no, that's one way to make every home a death trap

I dont want my toilet to DDoS some chink site and get me in trouble

The day I order a robo-servant is the day it can set a fresh cuppa on my nightstand without tripping on the crap all over my bedroom floor.

! youtube.com/watch?v=XlmxgpLAChI

I don't drink coffee, and I would have to refill the water anyway. I also don't have speakers, that would bother the neighbors.

You fill the water the night before, retards.

>Being a cuck to willingly accept the botnet into your own home

>based on your mood

stop, this simply doesn't exist

>your smartwatch senses your stress hormones, sweat, pulse and agitation levels
>plays something appropriate

show me ONE implementation of that, that is commercially available RIGHT NOW, but It has to be on real life, not your imagination

I don't want to set up a literal botnet in my house, so no thanks.