Sup Forumstards of Sup Forums will defend this

>On my first official day rotating on the team, my new manager sent me a string of messages over company chat. He was in an open relationship, he said, and his girlfriend was having an easy time finding new partners but he wasn't.

[...]

>I expected that I would report him to HR, they would handle the situation appropriately, and then life would go on - unfortunately, things played out quite a bit differently. When I reported the situation, I was told by both HR and upper management that even though this was clearly sexual harassment and he was propositioning me, it was this man's first offense, and that they wouldn't feel comfortable giving him anything other than a warning and a stern talking-to.

[...]

>Over the next few months, I began to meet more women engineers in the company. As I got to know them, and heard their stories, I was surprised that some of them had stories similar to my own. Some of the women even had stories about reporting the exact same manager I had reported, and had reported inappropriate interactions with him long before I had even joined the company. It became obvious that both HR and management had been lying about this being "his first offense", and it certainly wasn't his last. Within a few months, he was reported once again for inappropriate behavior, and those who reported him were told it was still his "first offense". The situation was escalated as far up the chain as it could be escalated, and still nothing was done.

>Myself and a few of the women who had reported him in the past decided to all schedule meetings with HR to insist that something be done.

[...]

>It was such a blatant lie that there was really nothing I could do. There was nothing any of us could do. We all gave up on Uber HR and our managers after that. Eventually he "left" the company. I don't know what he did that finally convinced them to fire him.

susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber

Other urls found in this thread:

Sup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Things were beginning to get even more comically absurd with each passing day. Every time something ridiculous happened, every time a sexist email was sent, I'd sent a short report to HR just to keep a record going. Things came to a head with one particular email chain from the director of our engineering organization concerning leather jackets that had been ordered for all of the SREs. See, earlier in the year, the organization had promised leather jackets for everyone in organization, and had taken all of our sizes; we all tried them on and found our sizes, and placed our orders. One day, all of the women (there were, I believe, six of us left in the org) received an email saying that no leather jackets were being ordered for the women because there were not enough women in the organization to justify placing an order. I replied and said that I was sure Uber SRE could find room in their budget to buy leather jackets for the, what, six women if it could afford to buy them for over a hundred and twenty men. The director replied back, saying that if we women really wanted equality, then we should realize we were getting equality by not getting the leather jackets. He said that because there were so many men in the org, they had gotten a significant discount on the men's jackets but not on the women's jackets, and it wouldn't be equal or fair, he argued, to give the women leather jackets that cost a little more than the men's jackets. We were told that if we wanted leather jackets, we women needed to find jackets that were the same price as the bulk-order price of the men's jackets.

>I forwarded this absurd chain of emails to HR, and they requested to meet with me shortly after. I don't know what I expected after all of my earlier encounters with them, but this one was more ridiculous than I could have ever imagined. The HR rep began the meeting by asking me if I had noticed that *I* was the common theme in all of the reports I had been making, [...]

(cont.)
>[...] and that if I had ever considered that I might be the problem. I pointed out that everything I had reported came with extensive documentation and I clearly wasn't the instigator (or even a main character) in the majority of them - she countered by saying that there was absolutely no record in HR of any of the incidents I was claiming I had reported (which, of course, was a lie, and I reminded her I had email and chat records to prove it was a lie). She then asked me if women engineers at Uber were friends and talked a lot, and then asked me how often we communicated, what we talked about, what email addresses we used to communicate, which chat rooms we frequented, etc. - an absurd and insulting request that I refused to comply with. When I pointed out how few women were in SRE, she recounted with a story about how sometimes certain people of certain genders and ethnic backgrounds were better suited for some jobs than others, so I shouldn't be surprised by the gender ratios in engineering. Our meeting ended with her berating me about keeping email records of things, and told me it was unprofessional to report things via email to HR.

>Less than a week after this absurd meeting, my manager scheduled a 1:1 with me, and told me we needed to have a difficult conversation. He told me I was on very thin ice for reporting his manager to HR. California is an at-will employment state, he said, which means we can fire you if you ever do this again. I told him that was illegal, and he replied that he had been a manager for a long time, he knew what was illegal, and threatening to fire me for reporting things to HR was not illegal. I reported his threat immediately after the meeting to both HR and to the CTO: they both admitted that this was illegal, but none of them did anything. (I was told much later that they didn't do anything because the manager who threatened me "was a high performer").

>gets asked out by awkward cuck
>OY VEY HOW DARE HE DO THIS
>WHY ISNT HE FIRED AND JAILED IMMEDIATELY

shit thread, fuck off and shill your garbage blog elsewhere

sage, report, hide

>>gets asked out by awkward cuck
>>OY VEY HOW DARE HE DO THIS
>>WHY ISNT HE FIRED AND JAILED IMMEDIATELY
reading is for faggots, amirite

>I told him that was illegal
so they not know what "at will" means? as long as it isn't a hate crime they don't need a reason

>awkward cuck continually sexually propositions new employees he manages
>this is ok
I'm not even a sjw, but that's blatant abuse of power and definitely disgusting

there's literally nothing in there

>some sperg starts blabbering about not getting pussy to some girl coworker
>company cancels women jackets because they dont get the same wholesale discount as men jackets

this shit is completely inconsequential
if you go full OY VEY WHAT A HOLOCAUST everytime some tiny inconvenience like this happens you're just a fucking whiny pussy lmao

Don't be such a whiny faggot. The bitch should politely say no thanks and just get on with her life. If he continually pesters her she should just record everything that is done and go to HR. If HR refuse to do anything she is free to file a sexual harrassment lawsuit. Otherwise it's just useless hearsay and moaning on her part.

>this has anything to do with Sup Forums

kill yourself.

OP is just going for maximum coverage.

keep trying m8
perhaps some day you'll learn to extract ideas from text. perhaps you need to go back to primary school or something, though

I guess you've never seen the mysoginistic threads in Sup Forums about women in tech, clearly posted by Sup Forumstards
how new are you?

And then everybody clapped

>proud womyn in tech
>used pic of women being an idiot

Obvious bait is obvious.

Sup Forums has always derided women in tech. It's not a Sup Forums exclusive thing you newfag.

keep telling yourself that

Shitty stock photo company has model hold the soldering iron BY THE FUCKING METAL END. Obviously this isn't someone who's actually ever soldered before, and people are gonna use this as "hurr durr women can't into STEM".

>Eventually he "left" the company. I don't know what he did that finally convinced them to fire him.
he ran out of people to ask out on a date. it's clearly a guy who has no personal life and only knows fellow employees

>Obviously this isn't someone who's actually ever soldered before
those who do it only do it once.

you don't say
yet Sup Forums will interpret it conveniently...
the actual retards are the ones who made the pic, photographers and marketing people, the model is there doing her job, which doesn't involve any technical knowledge about soldering and stuff
but, try teaching retards in Sup Forums

So very false. Even I've soldered more than once before, end intend on doing it again!

why would you need to solder your hand more than once?

Ah, if that's what you meant, you should've worded that post better! Right now it means "those who solder only solder once".

glad we clarified, then.

I honestly hope that this entire situation did in fact happen.

You want me to keep telling myself the truth? Are you retarded?

>Obviously this isn't someone who's actually ever soldered before, and people are gonna use this as "hurr durr women can't into STEM".
It has been used for that exact purpose. Fun fact, that stock photo company did the same photo shoot with a dude, holding the soldering iron the exact same way. I've worked as someone who has staged several different things. We rarely, if ever, consider the actual implications of what we're doing beyond "does this look good?"

A few years ago I staged an apartment and in the bathroom I put a candle on top of a towel. Looked nice and surely no one would read too much into it, right? Wrong. Real estate agent lit the candle, which set fire to the towel, burning the bathroom and causing an evacuation of a fourteen story apartment building. People are idiots.

Uber is a terrible company, sure.

But is a guy hitting on a girl a reason to fire him?
If he said, "have sex with me or you are fired", then sure, but if you are close enough to talk about how his wife is cheating on him, then you should be able to say no if you don't want to be with the cuck.

You have to be a pretty worthless human being for working as a gypsy driver in the first place, but if you then also have to attempt to pick up other gypsies? The cuckness of this is unbelievable.

see

>shitting on women in tech is bad
>shitting on women is a Sup Forums thing

Back to plebbit, faggot.

back to retard

This. Betas should keep their fucking heads down. Abusing position of power to look pathetic is clearly not ok, it could even chase away chads if women are seen being associated with this human waste.

Hostile work environment.

>butthurt roastie detected

>Don't be such a whiny faggot. The bitch should politely say no thanks and just get on with her life.

Mansplaining. The women at the company clearly feel the threat, even if it's never spelled out overtly, so there would be no hard evidence. This devious gaslighting tactic is how men keep oppression hold on women.

They can't file a class lawsuit either, because guess what, majority (80%) of lawyers are men, not to mention this is not technically a divorce where one might have a fair shot.

Not that guy but Sup Forums has always hated women and blacks and indians and non americans andelectric cars and renewable energy and energy saver lightbulbs and basically anything that isn't the way it's always been. For a technology board, Sup Forums really hates change and innovation.

>You have to be a pretty worthless human being for working as a gypsy driver in the first place
So you didn't even bother reading the summary OP posted then. Why are you giving your opinion if you're very clearly not informed?
>so there would be no hard evidence
Apparently you didn't read shit either.

>For a technology board, Sup Forums really hates change and innovation
Sup Forums is a tech board, but it's hoarded by programmers. Programmers have an extremely high chance of being autistic, and autists don't like anything that deviates from the pattern they're used to. so with this pattern, even non-autists begin to follow this trend and it spirals.

>Mansplaining

Hahahaha holy shit did you just unironically say that? Kill yourself, bitch

I did. The brave women fought hard until the company eventually recognized the thread of enabling a rapist.

But why the ad hominems? Are you trying to imply something else? Perhaps that my feeble woman mind can't comprehend english text and the story is entirely different, yet you refuse to explain it? Are you trying to avoid being overt again, you sexist pig?

>mansplaining
Troll thread, everybody.

are you saying there is some way that working for a gypsy driver company makes them better people?
I am not a fan of public transportation, regular taxis or gypsies, but it doesn't matter what part of the company they work for, it is a shitty company providing a shitty service for shitty people.
If all uber employees and all uber customers died tomorrow, nobody would care beyond to see if it would affect real people.

Still, beats daily githubinaction reposting anytime, those are getting pretty stale.

>But why the ad hominems?
So you don't know what an ad hominem is either.
>yet you refuse to explain it?
I will direct you to the one part of your other post that I quoted and then to reread the summary that OP has posted. Beyond that, your post is irrelevant bluster.
>are you saying there is some way that working for a gypsy driver company makes them better people?
What? That has nothing to do with anything here. Also, where the fuck are you getting gypsies from? What have you been smoking? Do you have any of it left? Can I try some? It must be strong shit.

Knew this would be at the top on hn

uber is a gypsy cap service.

Sup Forums also defends managers and HR, just so they can justify their shitty opinions
top kek

HR and Manager don't be programmer, programmers hate HR and Manager.

lel i report u :^)

>I will direct you to the one part of your other post that I quoted and then to reread the summary that OP has posted

So no factual discussion then, just indirect implication that I'm dumb. You sure you don't have the definitions of ad-hominems mixed up?

I refuse to read that site, but am curious about their stance. White knights ringing their armors, or Sup Forums-tire?

What if the guy was trying to get fired. You know if you leave willingly you lose your vest so only way to leave while keeping your vest is to get fired.

That, but I'd throw in also a cut from sales of Cloud-Ready Microclouds everybody must be aching to buy and read now.

I'm not particularly proud of how Sup Forums shaped the nature of viral marketing in 2017.

you mean he had been trying to get fired for months if not years?
also, did you read the part where HR hid his behavior for a long time? what about the part where one of the directors all the 6 women they would not have the leather jackets they were promised?

I think lot of the Sup Forums would kill for job at Uber or any other high value bleeding edge of technology company. Maybe they are stuck at a third world country, in their parents basement with no higher education never seen a vagina.
Then you have some woman working at Uber with her successful career publishing book and all. She even is offered sex, for free. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

tits or gtfo

>So no factual discussion then
There would be if you addressed the error in your earlier post that I pointed out but instead you're complaining about things that never happened.
>just indirect implication that I'm dumb.
So far you're the only one implying that but I'm starting to warm to the idea.

that is a meme you fucking retard
get the fuck

>strong independent womyn in tech joins firm
>immediately starts causing shitstorm of drama to satisfy her need to be center of attention

did anyone else notice that she never mentions doing any actual work

You must be new here.

Anonymous message boards work best when you don't establish an identity, that way they stay anonymous. When you share things about yourself (i.e. sex) you actually distract from the conversation at hand.

Common mistake, lurk more :>)

Uber is the taxi equivalent of microsoft, aol or even paypal in their boom years. Their strength is not technology, but their AT FULL FORCE push for it.

The blatant disregard for existing taxi service/city permit deals, work contracts and so on. Basically they're the best because they have the sharpest elbows, their technology just follows demand of their market expansion.

Some people might want to work in such conditions, but I guarantee you, working for a "fast corporation" like this one is one time, incredibly dehumanizing experience. You're there to merely support their system, but never allowed to truly become part of it. There are far better places to wageslave in. I'll take redhat or google anytime over microsoft.

quit trying to bait and hurry up with the tits, you worthless fuckpig

Sup Forums.org/rules

wow, that showed user.

sorry, was just counterbaiting a colleague over at guess i can show my timestamped dong if you really insist, but this isn't really the place. start a b thread if you find me that attractive.

>inb4 this is used as justification to remove all social retards at software companies

Great work, faggots. You couldn't keep your autism to yourself?

from the comments in that blog
>Nipple Master An hour ago ยท 1 like
>Why do you have to air your dirty laundry and agitate all the SJWs on twitter? You had a job, you didn't like how you were treated, you left. Big fucking deal. Shut the fuck up and get on with your life, nobody cares about your psycho drama.
spotted the Sup Forums - Sup Forumstard

can you at least put on a skirt and knee socks for me?

How is this even technology?

OP confirmed for dike shill.

What a shit HR department.
If someone is making unwelcome sexual advances in a workplace, they should be warned. If they continue, they should be fired. Regardless of gender, position, or qualification.

A workplace should be free from those types of interaction. Go on tinder asshat. We are here to work, not deal with your sexual frustration.

The jackets thing was pretty stupid too. I'd like to think that fat men were able to get jackets, despite the fact that they would be more expensive than extra small ones.

I voted republican in 2 of the last 3 elections, don't believe in the wage gap, and this still seems inappropriate to me.

The writing is long on the wall as normies trickle into the industry. I say we need another specialized niche to use as our monastary where autism is allowed to reign unchecked.

>some sperg

It wasn't just a coworker, it was a manager that sent the messages.

bump

I'm a Sup Forumstard of Sup Forums and why would I defend this? It's clearly a shitty company and anyone would be unhappy working for them.