Computer Desks

Why the fuck is it so hard to find a decent desk for a workstation that isn't gaudy as fuck, expensive, or not at all suited for computers? I'm in the market for one and I'm starting to get depressed after finding only maybe one or two desks that aren't any of those things. Any of you guys have reccomendations?

Pic related: my favorite find so far. Only problem is its too short. Find me something like this and I'll probably suck your dick

You mean there's other places to buy furniture than Ikea?

Furniture in general has moved towards simplistic designs and ease of manufacturing. If you want a computer desk that actually looks great try browsing an officedepot catalog from the 2002.

I've been using a solid oak table I bought from IKEA liken 20 years ago. Unfortunately they dont make anything like this anymore.

pic related, but round legs slightly inside the base
$200 back in 1998

Simplistic isn't a bad thing. All I want is the desk posted in but a little taller. Its low profile and does its job. Everything else I've seen looks busy compared to it, and 99% of the time said business gets in the way of function
Supposedly

I was actually looking into getting one of these myself, how tall is it?

It sucks that I have such a hard on for an L-shape because that looks pretty nice. If I could pair it with a slightly smaller version of itself to go underneath it I'd go for it. I need a little secondary workspace for plants or a laptop
28" I think. Just a couple of inches smaller than a normal sized desk. Why? I have no idea

Just buy this or the version with drawers.

I have the other malm and it's a great desk

It doesn't seem too short for you? I'm a manlet (5'8) but I'm worried my legs wouldn't fit if I use my current office chair, even at its lowest height

>Just buy this
I don't know what desk that is user

here you go

I have one of these
Its pretty nice, but i would have preferred to just get a regular L desk, because i always keep the pull-out bit extended, so it kind of defeats the purpose

i love these things at work, gonna get one at home too, they are about 100 dollars or 400 dollars with electric height adjustment(which is THE BEST)

I built my own L shaped desk, 8' x 6', for about $100 just using wood panels from Lowe's and some 2x4s for the frame and legs.

lol somehow that image got ruined sry

IKEA countertops with some added desk legs and you're golden for less than $150

How high of an IQ do I need to put something like that together?
I dunno, I think the difference in height might serve some sort of psychological purpose. I kind of want to put less important things on the secondary section. Plants, papers, pictures of family; that sort of thing. Its like a physical separation of my two lives

i have been considering building my own desk, how hard is it?

have considered going to my dads and borrowing his welder to slap together some metal for a frame and cut out/sand and stain a wooden top. is that something that can be done by an amature and still look decent or should i just mod an existing desk with cable management holes ect that i want?

I'm 5'11" and there's plenty of room. Go to Ikea and sit at it.

I bought a smaller desk first that did bang my legs, got this one to rectify the situation

Furniture is general is expensive, however with proper care it could last a lifetime.

Your tastes staying the same that long is another matter entirely though.

ikea malmdesk owner here.

just get used stands on craiglist/ebay and apply your own wood panel to it for cheap

Ask a carpenter to build you one for cheaper.

Are carpenters listed on Yelp? Also how specific do I have to be in my specifications. Can I just say "like this but taller"?

Get two small server racks and put a door on top of them.

My therapist told me to do the same thing but with two filing cabinets. I like the idea but I'm working with limited space

Why not make your own using custom ergonomic sizes? It's carpentry, not rocket science.

I just use a table like this as a desk. It may not be very appealing, but it has a lot of space, and it's lightweight and easy to move.

build your own

12 legs is overkill. Op should scout out used buy and sell, no shortage of boomers trying to unload quality solid wood stuff that their kids don't want because they still live in the basement. Wew, muh captcha was a computer desk wtf.

ive got pic related... if it would be a mm thicker i couldnt attach my g27 to it anymore but its the best thing for the amount of money you can find.
if its too short and you got the space to work on it you could simply extend it.

Did you have to go to therapy cause you were so bad at picking out furniture?

>some guy get's payed $80/h to give user advice on getting a new desk

just buy 4 table legs for $20 and some wooden plate with the size you want. done.

You could always buy your wood from a certified supplier (FSC / PEFC) and custom build it, afaik just make sure it's properly sourced.

because you are a faggot looking for furniture online, not in furniture shops.

shit on alibaba looks always lit and mega boss.

Build your own. Just did mine yesterday. 4 height adjustable legs from IKEA, a 180x63x24 countertop from a local hardware store (cut to 150), and I welded and screwed in an underframe to prevent it from sagging. Ain't bad for around 100€ (70 for the legs alone). Would post a pic but I'm on the phone and a 7Mb jpg wont cut it on mobile data.
Also, I used the remainder of the top to build a rolling stand for my pc.

>Malm
>too short
Are you goddamn serious.

I got a nice desk from some office outlet for a little over 100 Euro.

Just get 2x Malm for $300, a straight bracket or two for like $1/ea, and a table leg for $20. Build the two desks as normal, but attach the two desks together with the brackets and attach table leg for stability.

>Why the fuck is it so hard to find a decent desk for a workstation that isn't gaudy as fuck, expensive, or not at all suited for computers?
It isn't, just buy a table rather than a "computer table".

Here, something like this is what works well. Big, four legged table with a leg in one corner each.

i prefer tables with only 3 legs but to each his own

Yep this is what you're after, the name for this is utility table. No drawers or stupid shit in the way.

I have this exact desk, I'm 6'1" and there's plenty of space. That said, my chair is a little short, but even if it was taller I'd have space. Only problem would be that the arms wouldn't fit under as well. Besides that, great desk. Don't have to attach that rolling side bit either, I just use one of the wooden panels as a little stand for my computer under the desk.

2 sides and a back wall as leg?

Also works, but 4 small legs are easier to use with many chairs.

Not very high at all. Hell he's even given you some measurements to work off, I'd call that easy mode.

It's not that hard, but I have a garage to build it in and the tools to build it with. It does take a lot of time to properly sand, stain, and seal with polyurethane. I used bolts to attach the legs and two sides together so it easily comes apart for transport.

Read the next fucking sentence then

>Malm with drawers
>Not buying Malm with sidetable and Malm Chest of Drawers

Now that you said it, this desk might not make the move to my next apartment

Be prepared to either bolt the dresser thing to the desk or to the wall, it wobbles a bit when fully loaded with an assortment of computer parts, ded laptops and clothes

pic related