/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ
youtu.be/Yom7LtHySuo?t=3m30s
reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/5v4406/hello_i_have_found_this_gold_pocket_watch_while/?st=IZE1M4QT&sh=d158d143
youtube.com/watch?v=fKoL2Ucrn4I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Guys, what can I get if I have manlet wrists?

Please help.

3rd for the Broadest of Arrows

>REMINDER CASIO'S PLASTICKY DOGSHITS ARE THE MOST REDDIT-TIER WATCHES

At least they keep the time properly, unlike your dogshit mechanical garbage.

>wow your watch fails at its primary function
>B-BUT IT'S PRETTY
>L-LOOK IT EVEN HAS A THOUSAND YEAR STAR CHART AT THE BACK

Literally Apple-tier retardation.

>2 week power reserve

they get a pass

Does the Pulsar PW3001 use a standard battery?

>complications are just mechanical apps

Why is this brand so pricey

They make such unremarkable shit

Pretty sure it uses a CR2025.

some decent prices on vintage stuff though.

Skelewrist here, pic related is 37mm, will a 40mm look huge?

the lugs look long. measure lug2lug

on first impression 40mm will probably look large or be at your limit

what is the lug-to-lug on both watches? And does the larger watch curve to as wrist as much, more than or less than your current watch?

Looks like someone's butt has been violently widen.
kek

>You can get quartz watches that aren't utter dogshit.

Because they are sponsored by a serial killer.

>feeling superior for using inferior garbage

Yes you can indeed get a quartz that's better than a mechanical. For about 10 bucks. This isn't a technology thread anyway, so kindly stick to your containment board:

As has been said before. This is a technology related topic, we have discussed technology quite extensively here before. Just because they aren't all stellar threads doesn't mean they don't belong here.

/wt/ is like any other thread on Sup Forums. sometimes it's about tech and insightful, other times it's

>WOOD SCREWS
>HOUSEFIRES
>XXXX IS FINISHED
>XXXX FANBOYS BTFO

That's a problem with our board, not this thread.

>Failling this hard at simple reading.

I said that you can buy good quartz watches, that are technologically superior, like Seiko and Breitling thermocompensated calibers,

OR you can buy plasticky dogshit Casios.

Don't mind me, just testing something. Will delete.

youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Allow me to get this out of the way to preempt the inevitable thread shitting:
>Sinns are shitters
>Omegas are mountain-jew shitters, especially the moonwatch
>Nomos are upstart shitters
>Squale and Steinhart are true horological brands and great value

Guess what I got

Nice omeg-ah, oh shit. I'm sorry.

Absolutely worth it for the price I paid and the level of finish on the Seagull movement.

Machine Polish with little-to-nil flaws for the chain.

>Neglected to remove protective film

Are those folded end links?

>Watch running 2 seconds fast
>Store it crown down overnight
>Now running 2 seconds slow

I've never seen this Seagull Chronograph before.

I've got the 1963 on order. Should be arriving today.

That is the Ultra-rare Limited Edition Seagull Seamaster in Black.

Apparently, they aren't making anymore of these which is a shame.

>they aren't making anymore

Seagull is moving up in the world and they probably think making Omega homages is now beneath them.

I really don't get Navitimer people

Ah yes I have thousands of dollars I wont spend it on a Submariner or Speedmaster, I'll take that watch that looks like someone vomited an algebra text book over a watch.

Great, we're back to autistic OPs.

Alternate dial up and crown down - problem solved.

>Set alarm for half way through the night to turn my watch over

At least I'll be on time for meetings

>Ah yes, let's spend a whole season tracking down and killing a harmless ex-hooker I fell in love with.
Fixed.

>2 seconds

This is a special kind of autism.

What does it matter m8? Post some interesting movements.

The beta21 movement in the omega electroquartz and numerous other pieces is the first swiss quartz movement, released in 1969. The 21 in the name comes from the number of companies who worked together to develop the movement. It doesn't just pulse once per second like normal quartz watches. The 8192Hz crystal was reduced to 256Hz using ICs, which drove a vibration motor. So the seconds hand sweeps extremely smoothly like tuning fork watches.

>moonwatch are shitters
Explain?

Brb trolling reddit

Post link pls

Is there a simple Rolex like the AirKing / Explorer / Datejust that has a display back-case? Can't seem to find one

Rolex doesn't do display casebacks.

Any reason for that? I think everyone loves a good display caseback

So I'll have to resort to aftermarket solutions then? Bit shitty

Reee it is not allowing me to post it atm

Not even memeing, seiko 5, they make pretty small ones.

Or seiko in general, anything designed for the asian market.

Due to a combination of their history of making tool watches, the minimal movement finishing, etc. I'm sure you can get a lengthier explanation off google.

Do I have to answer this in every thread? YES IT USES A CR2025.

Probably the same why they don't do AR. "It's not a part of the Rolex DNA" or whatever.

>55 million dollars
>Quartz

Was this an experiment to make the ugliest watch in existence?

Where's the fedex guy with my watch reeeee

Relevant

youtu.be/Yom7LtHySuo?t=3m30s

Got it
reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/5v4406/hello_i_have_found_this_gold_pocket_watch_while/?st=IZE1M4QT&sh=d158d143

What's the gag here?

>you can live off luxuriously for year with each colored diamond

I don't care I'd wear it even if it had a capsulted piece of shit in the center

I don't see the trolling

it looks like it has day date small seconds moonphase minute repeater

I can't make out the subdial on top

the fact it doesn't have a maker's mark on the movement or the face is concerning

Is that the same movement as this? If so that cleaned up amazingly m8.

Its a patek minute repeater with chrono and perpetual calendar senpai. Gotta go slow

Nah, that was my post though. That movement is of a much lower quality than the patek. Its also a triple instead of a perpetual calendar and a quarter instead of a minute repeater.

Ah, gotcha. I assume the patek isn't a chronograph too (like the other movement) then?

No it is too, they basically have the same complications but the patek has the more advanced versions of both

Neat. Is there a chronograph minute hand in the center or is it only a chronograph seconds?

Ted Cruz endorsements don't pay for themselves.

Big Seconds hand only
Now if only people responsief to my reddit post :(

Why's there no patek name on the dial?

spoiler: it's not a patek

Navitimers aren't the greatest looking but they're functional pilot's watches and they are one of the very few that have been to space.

Plus they got rid of that ETA dogshit for all of their chronographs and have made a manual wind, COSC certified, column wheel chronograph in house with a 70 hour power reserve.

If they weren't like twice the cost it would decimate the moonwatch IMO.

>That's a problem with our board
You're not helping.

>they're functional pilot's watches

There's apps for iphone that perform any calculations a pilot could want better.

>If they weren't like twice the cost it would decimate the moonwatch IMO.

But thery're fucking ugly

Idk, there's many ancient high end pocket watches that have no name on the dial. It came in a nice box with a hand written certificate. (Spoiler, its not mine)

>But thery're fucking ugly

To me and you yes, but apparently not to everyone else because they've been Breitling's bread and butter even when they were putting shitter movements in them.

You could probably put a Breitling logo on a piece of dog shit and sell it for $5,000

Why are there third party companies that can produce watches with seiko movements for cheaper than seiko themselves with the same movement?

That's not how this shit is supposed to work. Seiko obviously sell those movements for a mark up so the 3rd party watch should be more.

Does this just show that Seiko are charging too much?

Probably because they just slap it in the cheapest possible chink case.

As long as it's stainless (not chrome plated brass) and looks ok, what's the problem?

>21 companies to develop
>8192Hz
Trash. I raise you Ronda's first quartz movement from 1973, the Ronda 1377.
>32khz, the now standard
>1s sweep
>3 jewels
>day-date with an odd way of quicksetting (move the hands backwards to set the date)
>4 generations from 73 to 75, each with progressively smaller crystal and IC
>mechanical and electronic hacking on 1st version, mechanical hacking only on later
I'm lucky enough to have one, the latest fourth revision.

Without getting into specific refs, it could be multiple things m8.

All that matters is how it looks and if it looks ok then it's good enough.

I don't buy into the Rolex sales pitch that the metal you make a case out of makes a difference.

Neat. Of course it only makes sense that years later a quartz movement runs at 32768Hz.

Speaking of, is there any quartz movement running at a higher frequency than this? Or was there just no point in going further since temperature & other factors affected accuracy more?

Why would anyone purchase a "luxury" quartz watch?

Not all quartz movements are made equal, just as with mechanical movements. Read up on the rolex oysterquartz which had thermal compensation in them (like seiko's 9F movements do too).

I bet the luxury watch market was LOVING the invention of quartz when it first came out.

>LOL NOW WE CAN PUT CHEAP CHINESE SHIT THAT COST $1 EACH IN OUR WATCHES AND HAVE THEM BE PERFECTLY ACCURATE AND WE'LL STILL CHARGE $5,000

I bet their faces were red when the world rejected quartz.

Someone should invite May here.

all that money and they still couldn't put a sweeping seconds hand?

It's not impossible with quartz: youtube.com/watch?v=fKoL2Ucrn4I

Bulova precisionist at 262 khz. 32,768 is commonly used though because it's a 16 bit signed int I would imagine.

The problem is the sweeping seconds eats batteries. IIRC the accutron II runs at 16Hz to simulate the smooth sweep. The beta21 movement runs at 256Hz.

I'd love to see his entire collection, at least.

to add to
Breitling, Seiko and Rolex all make (or made) ultra-high end quartz movements that are chronometers capable of handling temperature changes without getting their shit fucked up and affecting their otherwise good accuracy, as well as just being more accurate in general due to precision cuts and other space magic stuff I don't really understand when they make the quartz crystal.

cop?

>100% of a watch's value is in the movement

The watch hobbiest community rightfully stuck up their middle finger to quartz and everyone has gone back to mechanical now.

A quartz movement is easy and simple to make and takes no production effort, and Luxery watch makers wouldn't have lowered their price to reflect this.

If Quartz took off, we'd still be buying $5,000 Rolex Submariners and the mountain jews would be laughing even hard on their way to the bank than they do now.

90% of it is. Unless you're a fashion watch fag.

>If Quartz took off

It already did m8. Most normies just have a quartz watch (if any).

there are probably levels of QC even if it was an identical movement

A+ Seiko JDM
B Seiko Other
C Seiko OEM to be resold
etc.

Yes. The factory strap is said to be not too good, but the watch will look even better on a Seiko bracelet.