Ryzen - General

Are you ready for the Jewtel blow?

old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=when are new cpus coming&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its happening isnt it

I don't really care, if AMD is so awesome, intel will have to make a move, either way I think I will get nice computer after this, and I am happy about it, do not really care who wins, they are jews and pajeets both of them

I'm thinking about doing a custom loop for Ryzen, should I bother with the GPU part of the loop or wait until Vega for that? I currently have a 290X that works fine currently that will go in the system.

wait for vega

Get in here, shills.

Maybe, maybe not, either way it's gonna be interesting to see the real results, shits just around the corner

>supporting Jewtel

Vega pretty much can't disappoint. What the Fury should have been if only they were able to be on a smaller process.

The combination of 14nm and HBM is going to be insane.

It's also on their new next-gen architecture, like the 7970/7950 started with GCN.

>I bought 6900K 2 months before for 1200€
>mfw X1800 will beat it for half the price

Your fault for being retarded. You could have just googled "when are new CPUs coming" google.com/search?q=when are new cpus coming&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

That's the first thing you should ever do when buying new hardware, as new stuff coming out drops prices and the new stuff could be better performance/$

I like the Ryzen logo it reminds me of an orange poo I did when I was in preschool ater I ate some play-do

Is Vega going to come out at a reasonable price point? I was thinking of buying a 480 along with the Ryzen 1700X and motherboard, but if there's a Vega 580 or something at $250 then I can just stick with my 650ti for a while longer.

>X1800 will beat it for half the price
Do people actually believe this?
Does anyone actaully expect AmirMD to make [[[[[[[[GOOD]]]]]]]] inexpensive chips after what happened with Bulldozer?
The only reason to be hyped for Ryzen is that we'll finally see the final nail in the coffin get slammed in for AMD.

Me too thanks.

>I want monopolies
Satan pls go.

do you remember the history of AMD other than Bulldozer? it's mostly them beating Intel's prices, with similar to superior performance.

>I support shitty companies that have been producing utter shit for years for the sake of """"competition""""

I think we're about here, get ready for it to happen in about a week

>going with a budget/price-performance CPU
>custom loop
This is like when people spend $1.5k on bling for their computer but then you see their battlestation and it's some poorfag Ikea setup in a lower-middle-class house
>priorities

doesn't look like budget when I look at the specs and leaked benches. of course I'll wait for reviews to buy shit anyway.

is it a new arch though? I don't think we are clear on if its not just a more refined gcn with new shit on it.

You seem to be leaving Jim "Shit Wrecker" Keller out of the equation.

>underage: the post

Hey cunt, the median cost of a house where I live is $1M

Fuck off.

>doesn't look like budget when I look at the specs and leaked benches
the Intel chips are faster, just more expensive. If you wait until the upcoming Intel product cycle, you're going to see far superior options at each price point. They're already lowering prices.

You're probably Canadian or something. Not sure why you were triggered by my post. Is your house the one on the block lowering everyone else's property values? heh.

Cheap trash

don't bother, water is a nightmare to work with unless you are doing something creative, like using a 50~ gallon bucket as a reservoir that you add ice to every now and then, or just pumping the water out of the room completely, to vent off elsewhere.

wait for benches, there is a good chance there is little reason to even go after market cooler much less water cool, granted I say this knowing full well i'm getting a D15 just because cleaning it will be easier by design then the stock cooler.

Vega is significantly different inside of the CU. Most every other area of the GCN arch has been incrementally updated, but in Vega the inside of the CU itself is change a bit. Quite radically at that. Vega processes two instructions per clock, all prior GCN did one.
This alone would be a tremendous increase in throughput, but the arch is also clocking north of 1500mhz, substantially higher than even Polaris.

Vega is as much of an ace up their sleeve as the Zen core.

I live in silicon valley.

I could sell my "middle class" house and go buy a mansion wherever you live.

inb4 you talk about salary, cuz I'll have you beat there too.

>[[[[[[[[

>>If you wait until the upcoming Intel product cycle, you're going to see far superior options at each price point.
>falling into the Meme Lake THREE FUCKING TIMES

Enjoy the 0.5% higher IPC for a new product premium I guess.

do we know the clocks of vega yet?
Never seen this bit of information.

though still not convinced it's not an iteration of gcn.

Likely going to get a vega when it comes out, probably a lower end one, but may get the high end, really depends on price.

The 7700k is already blowing Ryzen the fuck out as per my image, so I'm not really worried. This is just going to be Bulldozer all over again (to be fair, it will be much better than Bulldozer, but still not as good as Intel's offerings).

twinsies

>inb4 you talk about salary, cuz I'll have you beat there too.
I'm not sure what's going on in this thread, but I just wanted to say wow, I'm impressed.

lol, not buying it now because Ill get the one with an am4 mount with it, I contacted noctua about how fast they could ship a mount and it seems like its around 2-6 weeks, that's not an acceptable time frame from the moment i buy the motherboard.

>I support shitty companies that have been doing all sorts of unlawful anti-competitive activities on the rare event that they finally have 'competition'

Looks like some idiot was calling others nigger rich was being stupid and some other idiot took the bait.

Honestly, Ryzen is surprising because we're use to 5 years of AMD not being there in terms of CPUs. I think it's downright silly to think that they could compete head to head with Intel on the performance front, their end goal was more than likely price to performance, and if these leaks are anything to go by (Might it be 5-10% off Skylake on a clock per clock basis) things will be very interesting. The concept of a 8c/16t processor that can compete with something like the 5960X/6900k at a mere $320 price point is crazy.

But then you look down the stack, something like the R3 1100 paired with a B350 board could give you both for the price of a locked i5 without a motherboard. Where Ryzen really shakes up the enthusiast market is at the top and the bottom. I feel like the 7600k will stay very popular, given the clock speeds they can hit and the price of the chip isn't all that much more expensive (Outside of possible Z270 boards.) But it feels like, once you begin trying to justify a 7700k over a 7600k you might as well go a R7 1700 and double up on the cores/thread for multitasking work while taking a minor hit to gaming performance.

I feel like the market will be in a very interesting place, while we won't see AMD beating out Intel in straight up benchmarks, we'll see them do very well in a couple of areas, many super cheap systems and well balanced workstations.

>The 7700k is already blowing Ryzen the fuck out as per my image

>4c8t
>lower benchmarks
>$20 less
>blown the fuck out

That less than 10% higher IPC though. Irresistible.

>If you wait until the upcoming Intel product cycle, you're going to see far superior options at each price point.
I've waited almost 6 years. I also want more than 4 cores.

The big Vega is 64CU, and they stated its 12.5TFLOPs single precision.
FLOPS is just ALUs x clocks x ops per clocks.
Vega would have to be clocked to at leat 1526mhz to achieve 12.5TFLOPs.

I confirmed with them, this one has the am4 mount

>Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

Is that wrong?

To add to this person, it's significantly different, yes.

Polaris was different from Fiji by a bit, but Vega will be more significantly different still, enough so that they're giving it a new name besides "GCN" from now on.

Big changes are:
Tiled rendering. This will help future proof so that 8GB of memory may still handle 8K resolution in future games and such as long as there would be enough thoroughput but not memory
On-GPU culling. Unlike the usual culling done in games, that's on the CPU and boxed, and will sometimes tell the GPU to render entire objects that aren't actually seen, this is a polygon-by-polygon occlusion process that will skip rendering individual polies that can't be seen.
A new shared pipeline for double precision floats all the way up to 512bit. Instead of having different processors for the different ops, it can simply do 2x as many 256bit ops as 512bit, 4x as many 128bit.

So it's very futureproofed and "next generation". It's basically like the 7970 was, which came out in 2011 but was still pretty much modern when it came to 2016, because that's how long it took for games to really start using what the 7970 GCN offered.

>Looks like some idiot was calling others nigger rich was being stupid and some other idiot took the bait.

>lower benchmarks
you people are so sad

>major leaks
>nda still hasn't lifted

why don't they just say fuck it and tell the reviewers and sites with nda to just release the info already, all these fucking leaks every day and they still want people to hold on to nda?

ah, didn't notice that, honestly didn't think they had the am4 version out yet as that was only announced... what was it a week ago?

Just the fact that intel is rushing out skylake-x and kaby lake-x shows that this will be good.

See you on the 28th fampai.

NDA's serve both the IP holder, and the media outlets. Small leaks usually drum up hype, and increase traffic to more reputable larger outlets. Those larger outlets know that the longer the hype builds the more traffic they'll get.

>Intel is rushing out superior chips before Ryzen even launches
>this is somehow good for AMD

Ok, I'll be here. I'm excited for their Raven Ridge lineup desu.

I need the 8 core 16 thread chip in my life right now

APUs when?

Why didn't they do that to begin with instead of leaving people stuck with overpriced and underperforming bullshit for years?

>dual cpu mean sli/cf

MOAR COARS
HOTTER TEMPS
PUT SOME SEMEN ON IT UNDERNEATH THE IHS

Their behavior is consistent with that of a company that has a monopolistic position in the market. business/econ 101

Actually, intels monopoly is also partially responsible for the shrinkage of the desktop PC market.

>2017
>buying nvidia
>buying intel

it's like you like getting bent over and fucked in the ass

NDAs also serve to make sure everyone spends fair time testing. Live and die by ad revenue also means needing to be there, at the first second to get as many views as possible. A late review gets no fanfare from 99% of potential readers.

If they lift the NDA in an hour from now, there are going to be review sites who weren't ready or done testing yet because the original NDA date said they had more time. Their response will be to rush the testing process to get the review up day one and potentially be wrong and give misleading info that could make Ryzen look worse than it it.

Most of the market does not overclock, and well never overclock, depending on how good extended frequency is, this could easily pit stock amd up or above any of intels chips, and seeing as canardpc said the cpu would easily clock to 5ghz, and there was no architectural reason it couldn't go further, only the power delivery on the motherboard made them stop, there is a chance at high clocks across the board, and with a soldered heat spreader, it wont suffer that massive heat issue that intel does when overclocking.

There is a chance, just a chance that the 4 core 8 thread amd has better oc potential then intel just because of the tmi, and if they are as close as it seems ipc, they may equal or exceed intel, not to mention the FAR better stock coolers will keep turbo or xfr FAR better then intel.

Finding the shills come nda lift is going to be very fun indeed.

But nvidia has better graphics cards with better graphical quality. Not only do they have the only options on the high end (1070 and 1080), but the 1070 is an excellent value in terms of performance per dollar, and they simply produce better results. Even with a high-end AMD card, you get flickering shadows, flickering textures, etc. Have you ever seen a game on each card side by side? The difference is night and day.
AMD:
>shadows look like they vibrate
>small, translucent textures flicker and clip into/behind things
nvidia:
>shadows are crisp, clear, and consistent, moving with the scene, like they would in real life or in a movie scene
>small, translucent textures are exactly where they should be with no clipping or flickering

AMD GPUs are honestly just for poor people who can't afford nvidia.

I will, however, be buying a Ryzen CPU.

>MOAR COARS

Oh the fucking irony.

Wait for vega or not?

I'm pretty sure AMD can get to decide whether to pursue or not, which why would they, the leaks are all positive coverage.

>APoos when?
they already have many

Oh fuck, are you the "Nvidia has better picture quality, I can feel it" guy from yesterday?

It's stupid behavior.

If Intel had a 4Ghz 6core for $300 last year instead of $410 for a 3.4Ghz, they wouldn't be losing so much market share in 2 weeks.

iommu tho

Actually it's like I like having top performance hardware because I'm not an unemployed budget NEET building $600 shitboxes so I can occasionally apply some filters in photoshop between shitposting.

Finally now I may have a choice on the CPU end, but AMD will remain a fucking joke in every GPU past budget trash and I'm not gimping my workload so I can look like a good little cultist sniffing AMDs ass like you marketers.

I'm on the same boat, 2-6 weeks is too long, I don't know if I should buy a cheap liquid cooler or buy a high quality liquid cooler, and wait for Noctua to send me the mount brackets. I want to try a liquid cooler, because I've always gone air.

I'm pretty impatient when I want to build a computer.

the sites that never received review kits and are releasing leaks from other sources are getting all the traffic and ad revenue, while the sites with review kits and working on benchmarks have to wait until nda is lifted...how the fuck is that fair to them? amd should tell them to work harder and release the review because leaks are out

>iommu tho
...is a feature on your motherboard and has nothing to do with what I said in that post

>the sites that never received review kits and are releasing leaks from other sources are getting all the traffic and ad revenue

Yes because everyone is going to look at shitty fucking math benchmarks in the leaks now and never check a single site for real reviews after the NDA lifts.

You must be 18 years or older to post here.

The leaker sites aren't ones that are given samples to test. lol.

>they wouldn't be losing so much market share in 2 weeks.

Imaginary market share?

It's going to be hilarious when, no matter how good Ryzen is, Intel maintains 80%+ of the CPU market a year from now.

wait I forgot, buying a cpu gives us stock coolers, I guess I could last a few weeks.

>Have you ever seen a game on each card side by side? The difference is night and day.
AMD:

you seriously can't be this retarded right?

you have to be over 18 years old to post here.

Only quadro cards have PCI passthrough whereas most AMD cards do permit it, making AMD a more compelling purchase for reasons other than "being poor"

CanardPC published a review of an engineering sample they received from a source inside a mobo manufacturer. Do you think this is going to take any traffic away from Anandtech or Tomshardware? Not a chance.

I honestly don't like the 'futureproof' aspect of the card, much of what you said will help it out, but there are other aspects that just scream 'test bed for navi'

Now, just to say this as I hope no one is retarded, 8k will never run on this card at acceptable frame rates.

The on gpu culling honestly looks like a hardware counter to 64x tessellation more so then the useful way you put it.

flop wise, that's just jerkoff motion the stat, sure it CAN hit that many, but what will it realistically do?

Unless msi hands me a 470 or 480 when I send my gpu in for rma, ill likely get vega when it comes out, or soon after, i'm just not expecting a whole lot from it, as consumers are going to get screwed again because all the binned shit is going to embeded and pro lines.

>Most of the market does not overclock, and well never overclock

Yeah, which becomes all the more surprising to think Intel never built a system into their chips earlier. It might have convinced more people to upgrade if they saw larger performance deltas in benchmarks, even though it was from the chip overclocking itself. But I do feel like that'll play a very interesting role when people start benchmarking the the X chips, seeing how much the chips overclock themselves. Ryzen is in an even more unique position, where many Sandy/Ivy bridge users would like to upgrade, but really haven't been given a reason to as of yet.

But the biggest question right now is overclock potential, and how good does XFR work? If it works really well and we see chips overclocking themselves to 4.5-4.7GHz out of the box things might get crazy, even a modest 4.2GHz would be enough on those octo cores.

if the real reviews are the same as the leaked reviews, why the fuck would anybody even bother?

i know, they just get them from other sources with the review samples

...this is a feature of your CPU and motherboard and has nothing to do with the GPU itself. It's officially supported and marketed as such by nvidia for enterprise purposes but otherwise this is a non-factor. I'm talking about performance and quality for video games which is why most people (everyone) will buy these consumer cards.

there is no such thing as futureproofing when it comes to gpus

According to you I'm under 18 because I've compared my purchase options and chose the better of the two. That sure makes a lot of sense. It sounds like you're just an asspained 19-year-old or something.

yes

Real reviews have more legitimacy, though. Fully knowing that the benchmakrs you've seen as of yet are just leaks (and why wouldn't you since all the articles mention it in the fucking title), wouldn't you want to verify if the rumors are true or not?

Why do you feel qualified to make that stupid comment?

It's not stupid, it is 100% consistent with the behavior of a company in a monopolistic position in the market.

The mistake was the fact that they didn't think Ryzen was gonna be a contender, with even Intel's CEO making fun of Zen last year during a conference call.

Because he underestimated a competitors new offering he very well may not be CEO very much longer.

As evidenced by this supply/demand curve we see that in a monopoly less goods are offered at the same price because THAT IS WHERE THEY MAXIMIZE PROFIT, which is the whole fucking point of a company.

I would argue there is to some extent, nowadays we don't push the gpu nearly as hard year over year as we use to, but we do push the vram now, and have for a while, more vram on the card the longer you can get the best textures to work, and textures are the most important vector for image quality that we can push, lighting is still a few generations away till we can push real time path tracing, if it ever becomes doable at all.

there is no way you were being serious, that has to be a troll post

It's not "test bed for Navi".

Navi is going to be the same architecture with a new memory controller. It seems like that's it.

Vega is the biggest update since GCN released. But yes, it's still GCN based, because GCN is simply the best overall GPU architecture and it'd be stupid to start over with something new for the sake of being.

>Now, just to say this as I hope no one is retarded, 8k will never run on this card at acceptable frame rates.
Considering that Doom runs on the Vega card at a minimum of 60FPS on Ultra at 4k, I do think you'd have some future games there you can do 30FPS at 8K. Though, maybe I shouldn't have said 8K, but triple monitor 4K on a game with less requirements than Doom maxed out.
But I know with my 6 year old 7970, I still run just about any decently optimized game like For Honor at 60fps maxed out 1920x1200. It's gotten better with driver updates and games using more GPGPU and such while the 580 that was sold at the same time is completely obsolete by comparison.

You also still see the 6990 come up benchmarks of new games. AMDs high end cards do age really well.

casual consumers don't care about validating rumors

Everything I said is objectively true and if you were smart enough to compare the two yourself in person you'd know that I'm sincere and, more importantly, correct.

8K is 400% more than 4k, your frame rate would be 1/4th what it is now at 4k