Defend this

Defend this

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FQM5fU7V-MM
github.com/jderose9/dash-to-panel
a.cocaine.ninja/qieohf.png
git.devuan.org/groups/gnome
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Holy shit that's beautiful. How do I get windows 10 to look like that?

based GNOME

I honestly don't think GNOME is that bad, I quite like it.

Fucking kill yourself retard.

Bring 'em lol

I don't like it at all.

but that's the nice thing about the free-software world, I don't have to, I can use one of like a half-dozen other DEs, I'm not stuck with what Apple or Microsoft decides is best.

GNOME's interface is the best out there for a DE. A shame it has a few other issues.

youtube.com/watch?v=FQM5fU7V-MM

Do you seriously have two panels? Just switch to dash-to-panel

dash to panel hides global menu

There's an option for it in the settings. It adds it next to the tray.

KDE is for bosses.

what am I missing?

>Defend this
What are your arguments against it?

I can think on a pair of what i consider valid arguments against it:
- Is somewhat limited regarding to customization. Even if people creates themes and extensions the developer often breaks compatibility every stable release. It's obvious the developers wants people to use the vanilla experience when possible.
- The icon view for the GTK+ file picker is a very sough after feature the developers just refuses to implement, it's a bit nasty because this affects every GTK program even if you're using KDE for example.
- The developers tries to force their vision of how the experience must be to all the users so instead of providing flexibility through options they prefer to strip features when possible in name of their "wanted experience".

On the other side i find the following pros:
- From the version 3.18 and onwards it feels very polished and it's getting even better.
- The experience feels very integrated, it certainly feels like a well though and consistent product.
- While it may feel a bit alien from people accustomed to the tradition desktop paradigm it certainly contains good proposals and it feels like a very productive environment.

That's just some thoughts.

Defend this.

Update to the latest version

Fuck I'm using Ubuntu LTS

>using x.org
Wayland removes that top bar for most programs and it looks sexy

You do realize you can push window titlebar to the top panel like unity, right?

All of your freetard DEs are shit

Just install from source
github.com/jderose9/dash-to-panel
just copy the commands there, delete the ubuntu version first though

>Current state of windows

Meh, GNOME is okay, I guess

>What is DDE
>What is KDE
>What is XFCE
>What is Cinnamon
>What is Pandora
>What is basically any DE except Unity

what extension does this?

This is my desktop. Too big to post here.

a.cocaine.ninja/qieohf.png

What colours are those?

>+
Comfy/Gui is lean
Ergonomic for how i process data/info and use my keyboard
Bluez
>-
Resource heavy
Low on configuration options
Because of how systemd works, to have this glory on another distro(say Refracta) means months of dev work that hasent even been started
>git.devuan.org/groups/gnome

win+tab

gnome is okay but the window paradigm is shit. Windows had previews in like 2006. what the fuck is gnome even doing

>Windows had previews in like 2006
Copied from Mac OS X.

peek and exposee are not at all similar... I'm a Mac user btw

Monokai dark

Wincucks BTFO

Wayland has nothing to do with that, stop being retarded and spreading misinformation.

i also need to know dis

I think it's pixel saver

It does lol.

Use MPV with xorg

Then use MPV with wayland

It works, idk why

Dis some cringy shit. People watch this?

I think it's pretty good in its current incarnation. Having to do 2 actions to launch a favourite annoys me though. I know there are extensions to get around this, but I'm just commenting on the default behaviour for launching shit.

Don't leave me hanging here lads — why was that executive running GNU/Linux?

Cucks are attracted to sluts

That's what I liked from gnome 3. In fact I always had the top left corner on my kde to show all workspaces with their windows.

What is the to gain from using a desktop environment, instead of a bare window manager?

that's actually one of the few things i like about gnome other than that it'd be the gpu context menu thingy

imagine what happens if you hide the unity launcher bar and change icon style to small in LO.