Sup Forums's favourite programming laptop

YES I READ THE WIKI GUIDE.

What's the best laptop for programming on the market right now? Gaming laptops can gtfo.

13 inches for portability is 8/8

www.google.com

x220

sponsorships and articles by shit tier websites.

no thanks.

with what sorta specs though as a nice minimum? plus isn't the battery life on these things crap

Macbook Pro with Touchbar

Unless you're a poorfag then don't even bother

>best laptop for programming

you digga fag

only need super battery

keyboard. display. battery life.

plus i do a lot of java and ides apparently run like shit on lower end machines.

>java

whats wrong with java :^)

12" PowerBook G4 with 1.92GHz CPU upgrade, recelled battery, and SXGA+ IPS screen.

Is it that bad?
I'm looking into buying a rMBP (Because HiDPI outside of apple is pretty shit) and was looking into it.

XPS 13 Developer Edition

13" 14" are literaly meme tier.

For anything serious, you need at least 15" FHD laptop.

Only kids can work on 13" babytops.

I use a 10 inch laptop and it's comfy.

Anything over 13" is utter trash.

2015 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display

Either Thinkpad x220 or Dell XPS 13 depending on your budget.

It's actually valuable on the job market so it's hated by GNU+NEETs.
And it's not very elegant.

I almost bought the Ambition for $300 but instead I got the MSI Stealth Pro for $1500.

This way I can code and also play vidya.

Yeah, it's totally not having to use a VM to execute software that makes it hated.

new carbon x1

are u a babby ?

on 13" If you do serious work you cannot even see icons or read text

its made of fagots are you a fagot?

I'll consider continuing this debate when you type like you're old enough to use this website.

so you admit defeat?

>x220

>with that horrible 4 hour battery life

Enjoy your mental retardation

I like my X250. Good battery life, good screen, very okay keyboard.

Calling me names will not help you win this debate

i got the asus zenbook 3 with the i7 about a week ago and so far it's been super dreamy :)

There is no debate, both you and your opinions are incredibly retarded.

I don't debate retards. I point out facts.

At least I'm incredible. what are YOU ?

you're facts are merely lies

17" is comfy as hell

>what are YOU ?
Not a narcissistic moron, which is more than you can say.

>you're
There was a time to stop, and you're long past it my retarded friend.

I can say way more but I chose to not to

there is no time to stop

Acer chromebook cb3-131 with GNU/Linux on it. Decent IPS screen and great battery life, light as fuck.
Don't fall for the x220 meme unless if you need a decent cpu and don't mind getting eye cancer.

JVM is good now and it's been for years.
Mobility>performance in many cases.

It will never be better than running natively compiled software.

>Acer chromebook cb3-131
>16 GB memory

Jesus Christ

It's got an sd card slot.

16GB RAM in a Chromebook? That seems a little overkill.

I really like my Early 2013 rMBP but I would never buy one of these new ones. Think about it, what are you going to do with a computer that only has thunderbolt ports

>16GB RAM in a Chromebook? That seems a little overkill.
>implying anyone on Sup Forums wants to use ChromeOS

>It's got an sd card slot.
>SD card speed and reliability

>implying you need to use Chrome OS on a Chromebook
Also I used my Cr-48 with its stick 16GB SSD for over a year with Windows on it and no SD card, it was fine. Actually, my favorite laptop. Picking up another soon.

Only nigger cattle use chromeOS, thankfully you can install a full fledged distro on them.
SD card reliability isn't a real issue if you make backups/use git.

There's also the chromebook pixel but I heard that the battey life is pretty bad/mediocre.

I got this thing used of 150 usd since college like 6 years ago

now i am still using it. sometimes doing web dev when i am on the move

X230 with IPS and SSD

Dell XPS 15 of course. Cant see shit on these 13 inch displays

Sounds like you need glasses.

Better than my 45 minutes on my t500

Why the HP Spectre x360 13t (2017) of course.

>Sees post mentioning portability as a criteria.
>Reccomends laptop that needs several adaptors to connect to god-damn anything.

6 hours or so with a decent condition 9-cell
Specs min: I5-2520, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD
Stick some flavour on GNU/Linux on there and optimise it for battery savings if you need longer than 6 hours.

It looks like you're debating retards to me

Oh and ofc an IPS display.

Swap the fagbook with the HP Spectre and it would be spot on

This.

>Counters MPB with MB picture
The very definition of tech illiteracy.

Second for MBP

I don't see what makes it different from the third one desu

13" MacBook Pro.

Any chromebook.

Buy a base model with an i5 and expect to pay >$60 for a sanyo 9 cells battery (Should last around 7 hours iirc) and >$60 for an ips panel, you'll also want an ssd.
Definitely not the cheapest option.

T60 have the best keyboard of any laptop I've ever used.

surface pro 4 i7 8gb ram 256gb ssd is so ridiculously good and portable, I don't regret having spent the money at all

It cost me an arm and a leg, but it's the best laptop I've ever owned.

>It cost me an image search and some bandwidth, but it's the best bait I've ever posted.

here's a (you)

You can even have emojis on the TB?

fuck, I am buying this

x360 15" 2017 of course

Anything portable that would be great with running Unity?

>not just using vim

I love this machine, my buddy bought one when it was new and I was always a bit jealous even though I had a higher-spec 15" model.

Just so cute and small.

James Gosling used a laptop with a 12" screen when doing early Java work at Sun.

Basically any x86 laptop with at least a dual core CPU at 2GHz, 6-8GB RAM, a 13"+ display, 200GB of storage, and an okish keyboard or some USB ports to hook up a better one.

I have a 2011 MBP. It's actually upgradable and gets about 6 hours of battery life (I never spend more than 3 away from my desk when at work). 16GB of RAM and a 275GB SSD were worthwhile upgrades.

I'm thinking of just dishing out the money on a MacBook. I bought a Lenovo S3 14in , 2 years ago and it's shit. It turns off instantly when you pick it up, new drivers make the track pad not work, full of bloat ware, etc. I'm a college student should I just toss my laptop and buy a mac. I only use it for development, I just want something that's not built like crap.

is this real? please elaborate on where you sourced this from.

How hard would it be to gut it and stick a Raspberry Pi 3 in there? Even with a breakout board for the display there would still be a lot of empty space you could stuff with batteries. That's probably what I would do since PPC hardware is basically useless, and even distros like Debian are dropping it IIRC. The Mac OS X version it ships with is also useless and outdated.

Go for a 2012 MBP 15 inch. Fully upgradeable with decent specs. The newest ones are garbage.

How much is a 2012? It's 5 years old.

About 600-800 USD used, or around 1000 new for the 15 inch. 16GB of DDR3 laptop RAM for it will run about 100-120 and you can get 275GB Crucial SSDs for like 90 a piece. For an extra 10 you can buy a hard drive bay to replace the optical drive and throw in a second hard drive.

>the 15" one
Disgusting

Get HP Spectre x360

Thinkpad 13 is the best laptop on the market

Nice emojis, faggot.

top kek

>X220
Absolutely not. Very small 16:9 display is uncomfortable. The X220 7-row keyboard were maybe the worst of the "legacy" layout, and are outclassed by several 6-rows. Don't forget that they all use scissor switches.

If you're willing to go as old as you can go for a T61 or better yet a T601 "Frankenpad."
The X220 (and the xx20-series in general) is a very unfortunate generation. Although they were the last of the 7-row keyboard, there are many flaws in each generation that are addressed in the xx30 series.

If you are going to go small and IPS, this is an acceptable answer.

The T60/T61 board compatibility still keeps this a good option. You can have an Intel X9000, SATA II, and UXGA IPS if you put the right parts together. If any of those sound rediculous to you, go for something more modern.

Don't be so sad.

"Programming" means a lot to many different disciplines. It can mean massive compiling, or just text editing.

for programming specifically probably the xps 13 since it plays so well with linux.

>no sound
>literally just like 2 of its competitors
I blame the jew

what are you talking about no sound? My friend has it and runs ubuntu and it's sound (and everything else) works just fine

How many blobs does it take to turn on a speaker?

seriously what are you talking about

A very common and well documented problem

you may be interested in knowing that dongles will exist in windows as well.

well all i know is my friend got a developer edition xps and then did a fresh install of the latest ubuntu version and things went fine

You can't avoid that problem with a Mac, you can still get current-gen gpus, fantastic screens and battery life, AND ports with 4/5 non-Mac laptops