Sup Forums is smart right?

Sup Forums is smart right?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constraint_programming
cs.toronto.edu/~fbacchus/Papers/liu.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I smell Haskell bait.

Do your own homework

this is indeed correct, but are there multiple solutions tho? Can the code have a digit multiple times?

This is correct and the first three hints are enough to deduce this is the the answer and the only correct answer.

6 can't be correct because it contradicts from first two clues

I pull out my glock and shoot the lock until it breaks

USA! USA! USA!: 1
yurupors: 0

and by the 3rd alone

Hmm, I get 062 and 862.

This is correct if you read "one number..." not as "one (AND ONLY ONE) number..."

Maybe someone else wants to fix it?

SELECT a.value, b.value, c.value
FROM t1 AS a, t1 as b, t1 AS c
WHERE (a.value = 6 OR b.value = 8 OR c.value = 2)
AND ((a.value = 1 OR a.value = 4) OR (b.value = 6 OR a.value = 4) OR (c.value = 6 OR a.value = 1))
AND (a.value 6 AND b.value 1 AND c.value 4)
AND ((a.value = 0 AND b.value = 6) OR (a.value = 0 AND c.value = 2)
OR (a.value = 6 AND b.value = 2) OR (a.value = 6 AND c.value = 0)
OR (a.value = 0 AND b.value = 6) OR (a.value = 0 AND c.value = 2)
OR (b.value = 2 AND c.value = 0) OR (b.value = 6 AND c.value = 0) OR (b.value = 6 AND c.value = 2))
AND (a.value 7 AND b.value 3 AND c.value 8)
AND ((a.value = 8 OR a.value = 0) OR (b.value = 7 OR b.value = 0) OR (c.value = 7 OR c.value = 8))
ORDER BY a.value, b.value, c.value

care to explain how you did it?

Not him, but it's simple constraint programming..

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constraint_programming

The number of times I banged yo mom. That's right, I banged her 042 times, until her ass was more sore than 5 trucks of lemon

Pretty sure it's (AND ONLY ONE)

Anyway yeah, 042

>the first three hints are enough to deduce this is the the answer and the only correct answer.

Prove it.

Not him but it's a basic logic problem.
First hint means that either a 6, 8, or 2 is in the answer but since only 1 number is correct, the others must be wrong.

2nd clue states that a number is correct but placed wrong. Since 6 from the first example was in the same place you know the code can't contain 6, otherwise the hint would say a number was in the right place.

Just use that line of thought with the remaining hints.

>the first three hints are enough to deduce this is the the answer and the only correct answer.

Hint 1: Either 6, 8, or 2 are correct
Hint 2: 6 isn't correct, 1 or 4 are but must change positions
Hint 3: since 6 isn't correct we know 0 and 2 are. From hint 1 we know 2 is in the 3rd spot. Since 0 is correct but can't be the 2nd spot, or the 3rd (since that is now 2) 0 gets moved to the first spot.

We know from hint 2 that the remaining number is 1 or 4. Since 1 being in the 2nd spot would be incorrect as per hint 2, it must be 4. Hence 042

>cs.toronto.edu/~fbacchus/Papers/liu.pdf

Fuck no nobody on this shit board has half a brain

finally all that mastermind i played as a teen pays off

You're right.

Fourth and fifth hint tells you that 0 is the wrongly placed number. Combine this implication with the third hint and you know that 0 is the first digit, since both hints tell you that 0 is not the second or third digit. Now, you have the problem of figuring out whether 2 or 6 is the second wrongly placed number in hint 3. Lets assume this number is six. Then according to the first hint, this cannot be correct since we know that 0 is the first digit. Then, 2 is one of the numbers and it is the third digit. With that and hint 2 you know that 4 is the 2nd digit.

We are both dumb, user

third hint

that was fun, got any others?

I tried this without looking at the replies first. I got 062. Don't see how it could be 042. Enlighten thy.

>First hint = the 2
>2nd hint = the 6
>3rd hint = the 2 and the 6
>4th hint = no 7, 3, 8 anywhere
>5th hint = the 0

Using the senteces (1) - (3):

(1) and (3) => Either 6 OR 2 are in the tuple, but not both. (6)
(1) and (2) => 6 can't be in the tuple. (7)
(1) and (6) and (7) => 2 is in the tuple. (8)
(3) and (7) and (8) => 0 is in the tuple. (9)
(1) and (8) and (9) => The tuple is [0,?,2] or [?,0,2] (10)
(2) and (7) => the tuple is [1,?,?] or [?,?,1] or [4,?,?] or [?,4,?] (11)
(10) and (11) => the tuple is [1,0,2] or [0,4,2] (12)
(3) and (12) => the tuple is [0,4,2]

Nvm the 3rd hint proves it can't be 062

Not even close. The 4th hint wipes out 2 numbers

the first hint says that there is only one that is correct. There are two parts of each box's clue: correct and well placed. Both have to be taken into account.
With the first box saying the 2 is the only correct one and that it is placed correctly, that is the only number in that box that is right.
Now the second box says there is one correct but not placed correctly, but the six is placed in the same place as the last box. If the 6 was correct in anyway the first box would have said two correct and placed well

How did you find out about 4?
I had 0x2 where x is either 1 or 4 . I feel there is not enough information to ascertain which one it isl

never fucking mind, 4 is misplaced in hint #2

Good and fun thread OP

The answer is 042

The first hint: 2 is correct but not correctly placed.
The second hint: 4 is correct but not correctly placed.
Third hint: 2 and 0 are correct but not correctly placed.

At that point you have the three numbers and you also have enough to surmise it's 042. The fourth hint is useless because of the first three hints and the fifth hint only confirms that 0 is one of the correct numbers and not correctly placed - aside from that the last two hints are unnecessary.

OP, try harder next time with a similar puzzle with a 10-digit number.

Years ago I had a group interview for a job with an insurance carrier and there were like 45 people in the conference room seated at tables. They were going to give us a test with 50 questions that provided just enough to decide if someone was a potentially insurable customer as some of the requirements had to be met and if they weren't the company would not insure them - one such requirement was being a non-smoker. It told us right there at the front in the first two paragraphs that smokers were not qualified as potential customers.

There were 3 other requirements as well (inside a given age range, with vehicles no older than a specific model year, and one other that I can't recall) but those 4 requirements were like big fucking signs saying "NOPE" so that's what I decided to focus on and not going through every potential customer's info: I went into it specifically looking for one or more of the 4 "NOPE" aspects and nothing else as the first pass.

So knowing that info as soon as the exam started I scanned every question for "Smoker" and probably 22 of the 50 questions were done in like 20 seconds flat, I finished the entire exam in about 4 minutes and when I stood up most of the candidates were probably on page 2 or 3 of the 30 page test (we had 30 minutes, go figure). The next person didn't come out of the conference room till another 14 minutes had passed.

People just don't fucking read with comprehension anymore, it's a sad thing in this day and age and it's just getting worse.

And yes, I got the job that day because of that test and other reasons but I declined the offer since the pay wasn't what I was expecting for the sheer number of hours they wanted me to put in (like 55 hours a week with no overtime paid as an independent contractor with no benefits, not even a discount on the very insurance I was supposed to be selling).

tl;dr
>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

Dude you aren't a smoker then. The smokers had to answer those 22 questions. They should have just got up and walked out the door as soon as they read "no smokers"

Thank you for proving my point about reading comprehension.

What's wrong with 062? It doesn't say "only"

One number is correct and well placed: yes, 2 is correct and well placed.
One number is correct and wrong-placed: yes, 6 is correct and wrong-placed
Two numbers are correct and wrong-placed, yes and two of 0, 2, and 6 are correct and wrong-placed.
Nothing is correct: etc
etc.

I get it. I just don't see how this applies to the thread. You didn't really solve anything . You simply benefited. 22 questions didn't even apply to you. But yes these were dumb.

Not it much position to talk about reading comprehension if you're no good at writing clarity. Employees ARE insurance customers under the retarded employer-provided insurance structure we have, after all.

No, you don't get it, unfortunately.

That can be easily solved with simple iteration. Ghetto tier to be honest. I won't even do the work to solve it.

3rd hint proves the numbers it's talking about are 2 and 0 because the last hint tells you it must be 0. Up until that point the possibilities were 6 or 0. You just gotta go through all the hints and apply them at the same time.

And yet another perfect example of my post.

Thank you as well for proving my point.

The first hint says that one number is correct and placed correctly so it can't be the 6 in first position - the second hint confirms this because the 6 is again in first position and obviously that would conflict with the first hint so... it ain't 6.

I get it now. I still don't see how it applies to this thread. People were just being slow retards.

It applies to this thread (and reality) because if a person reads with comprehension the puzzle is solvable with the first three hints and yet people still get it wrong.

>now you respond with the "oh fuck you asshole you ain't that smart stop trying to act like it" or anything of an even remotely similar nature

102 or 402 either could be correct.

You're right it can be solved with just the first 3 hints

The third hint would conflict with 1 being a correct number because of the 0 in the third hint - even if the 0 is a correct number (which it is) it's in the middle and we're told that it (and the other correct number) are not correctly placed.

Hence, the answer is 042 and no matter what you try to do to deny or rationalize it away it remains the correct solution.

Actually.
102, 402, 042, and 012 are all correct answers.

062, took me 20 seconds to figure out though, not as sharp as I used to be.

i see. and 012 cant be correct because 1 is in the wrong place so the only answer is 042.

Lol no

2nd hint eliminates 012 for example.

Answer is 042. 6's, 7's, 8's, and 3's are out the question.
2 is the last number. so _ _ 2
from the last rule and the 3rd 0 is the first number. 0 _ 2
from rule 2 1 can't be the second number so it must be 4. so... 0 4 2
042 is correct.

Here's a breakdown.

1st hint: to solve we need to use only one number as a focus, then use the next hint to contradict or confirm the 1st hint's possible answer. 6 doesn't work for both hints so it's discarded immediately - the hints conflict. 8 (without even looking at the 4th hint) is discarded because the 2nd hint doesn't help at all, the 3rd hint doesn't help at all, but the 4th hint tosses it out immedaitely. So we're left with the 2 to work with and we move on.

2nd hint: the 6 is not relevant so it's ignored completely. The 1 could be correct - the 3rd hint uses a 6 which isn't relevant leaving 2 and 0. If the 6 isn't relevant and the 2 and the 0 are both incorrectly placed, this means that the 0 can't be the middle number even if it's correct, nor can the 2 because we know it has to be in the third position based on the 1st hint where it is correct and well placed.

So, at the end of the 2nd hint we know 2 is correct and well placed, 0 is correct and can't be in the middle, and that leaves the 4 from the 2nd hint and the only available well placed position is the middle.

Those first three hints provide all the necessary info to solve the problem.

Fun fact: this is part of an autism test

8 is definitely wrong because of hint 4. Hint 4 says that none of the digits, or the placement of the digits, is correct.

Why would anyone solve this with SQL (you didn't even get it right lolz)

Forgot to point out that the 1 can be discarded:

If the 6 in the 3rd hint is irrelevant (it is) and we know from the 1st hint the 2 belongs in the third position + the 0 cannot be in the middle position and neither can the 1 because based on the 2nd hint even if the 1 was a correct number it's in the wrong position.

Hence, 0 must be in the first position, the 4 (which is correct but not well placed per the 2nd hint) must be in the middle position, and the 2 was established in the 1st hint.

Simple.

Any fail-proof script to solve this programmatically? I knew the answer because a friend told me, he did it by hand tho.

042. Used head only because it really excites the noodle poodle.

Meh, I thought it was a good idea..

Now check this cool Ruby solution:
(yes, I like regular expressions..)

puts (0..999)
.map {|i| i.to_s.rjust(3, "0")}
.select {|i| i[/6[^682]{2}/] || i[/[^682]8[^682]/] || i[/[^682]{2}2/]}
.select {|i| i[/[14][^614]{2}/] || i[/[^614][64][^614]/] || i[/[^614]{2}[61]/]}
.select {|i| i[/[06][26][^206]/] || i[/[06][^206][20]/] || i[/[^206][26][20]/]}

try these
, etc

Should take a few tens of minutes at worst. LMAOing at these nerdy neets.

It took me a while to get it rigth though, those were some tough RegEx's..

But you really need only the first three rules to sort it out.

It would probably look also nice in Haskell or LISP, maybe someone wants to create a solution here?

Nice, very nice.

BTW I wrote
>Maybe someone else wants to fix it?

You can either circle jerk about how easy it is if you realize the first and second hint already give you this and that number..

Or you can use it as valuable programming exercise.

Your choice.

Thanks!

I feel that hour of work was a good investment to impress some random internet dudes that will give me shit anyway because "muh SJW language"..
:^)

I just wanted to know if it was solvable with regular expressions.

These are fun OP. I not very smart but these make me feel good about myself. Give more

This how I managed to miss one or 2 points out of 20 almost every day in drivers education from my highschool, assuming the test is for morons, and scan reading the questions although there are keywords in questions like "this is not" or "which one is not" or something like that, but the text is placed in such an awkward position to scan for that me and my friend who were taking ap calc skipped over them, but we didn't give shit because we still always got A's and new the written portion, and pretty much the whole thing was bullshit anyway.

Another example:

When I was in high school decades ago (yes I'm an old bastard) there was one time a substitute teacher was in for our regular "Shop" teacher (metal shop). This guy came in knowing he was a sub for a day and wasn't about to actually do anything serious so we just talked shit during the class period, about 13 students altogether plus him. He at one point bet us $100 that nobody could pass a test of his and of course being bored we all said ok let's have at it. He pulled out this 3 page test with a variety of mathematical and geometry questions on it (seen at a glance) and handed out the pencils we needed.

He said to follow the instructions and we had 10 minutes to finish the test or answer as much as we could and pulled out a stopwatch (a real actual mechanical one, I said this was decades ago) and said "START!"

I looked down at the test page, it had some text at the top with an instruction or two and then just below the heading it said "STOP HERE, DO NOT CONTINUE." in call caps bolded plain as day. I realized what was up but I kept acting like I was scanning the page, flipped to the second one, then back, and carefully glanced up at the substitute teacher who was writing something on the blackboard.

I didn't put my pencil down for fear that another student would pick up on what the instructions rather clearly stated right there on the page which was STOP HERE, DO NOT CONTINUE and so that was that.

I sat there the entire time acting like I was answering the questions, mock-filling in the answers, and so on. When all was said and done and the sub called time, I put my pencil down and smiled at him and right then and there he knew that I knew that he knew that $100 bill he had laying on the teacher's desk was mine.

Nobody else stopped where instructed, my test was clean of any marks or answers since I never touched pencil to page. Had a nice dinner with some friends at Pizza Hut later that night because of that test.

Read the quote. Also

042 and 062

And yet another one, geez.

The number 6 is disqualified because of the conflict between the 1st and 2nd hints. The 6 can't be correct in both because it's in the same position hence it's not correct at all and is thus discarded as a potential digit of the 3 necessary for the code.

what quick rundown?

Thank you

I'm gonna say its 042, without looking and being a cheating fuck. Thought it was 6somethingsomething at first.

>Not solving it formally using truth tables

which one is it (if any)? i cant work it out
6 8 2
6 1 4
2 0 6
7 2 8

Real locks don't give you hints so this is a stupid puzzle

Hint 3, 0 is at the wrong place

oh

kek

>Being a little bitch and not using intuition and your head

>Sup Forums is smart right?