/retro/ tech

Other urls found in this thread:

betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35496
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Apple IIe

Old pic, will update when I get off work.

An ancient Windows 7 desktop computer

>t. mactoddler

The Libretto............no

Sauce?

>Mac
>Apple II
>tech illiterates on a tech board
some news

>just got a semi functioning lifebook p
>tfw transmeta
>don't have adapter so solder wires directly to the socket and connect it to a lab bench psu
>doesn't boot nor draw any current

Well

Crypt OS

>tfw your shitbox will be in a museum

I can only imagine the crud that would build up around those keys

Who /antique/ here?

Damn user. Thats impressive

The shitbox itself ain't anything special, but at least it has a good home now.

The first OS that's only accessible through dreaming

who /anachronistic/ here?

>MDA in a Pentium 3
WHY

NEAT.

Now install Windows 95, works with Hercules cards and MDA monitors with Windows 3.0 drivers.

I'm quite anal

Oh dang I gotta try this.
Win2k didn't like it so much.

>Ancient
>Not even a floppy drive
>Flat panel display

Sorry, my mistake, it didn't work with Hercules cards, but it did work with EGA cards that used MDA monitors, using 3.0 drives in Win95.
But it's still cool, you can use the same monitor in the picture, just need to find a EGA card and set the jumpers to monochrome monitor.

Or just install Windows 3.0/3.11, that works with Hercules out of the box and will run fine on a Pentium 3 too.
Then install a 32-bit Windows compatibility layer and try some newer shit.

I don't think I have any EGA cards with monochrome support.
However I do have a CGA one with pwm magic, it's fun seeing things that shouldn't be possible like 16 shades on a 2-bit TTL display.

It's fun indeed! Thanks for sharing!
Also, I just found this!

betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35496

Win 95 beta apparently runs with CGA cards! But it's not as good as EGA.

>betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35496
Oh my. That looks absolutely horrible.
I need to try this.

>That looks absolutely horrible.
>I need to try this.
Spoken like a true hero.

comfy as fuck

Green phosphor or bust

I really want a Libretto 100CT but it's hard to find any decent Librettos on eBay.

Plus I've already got one ancient laptop (pic related) with a dead and difficult to find battery, I don't need another one.

>I really want
>I don't need

I mean, I shouldn't get a Libretto, I've got no real use for it other than collecting it for aesthetic.

If I really, really wanted to have a mobile retro PC, I've got one, I just need to invest in a battery.

i actually managed to get pcmcia to ethernet drivers to work recently
found that Snappy Driver Installer actually has PCMCIA drivers, they take up 514mb of space alltogether though, and i only have a 2.1gb hdd to work with
so i did serial to usb with the drivers on it
took 5 hours to find and install the driver, but it works
i can shitpost from it without needing dialup

of course i forgot the picture

I use this thing every day. I seriously haven't touched my modern rig in weeks. So many awesome games on Win9x.

why can't we make shit like this now?

we should be able to make them and make them even better than they were back then

whats the software you're using user?

Probably terminal software connected to an RPi.

that kind sucks doesnt it? i want to get me a P1 or P2 and use it with standard software of the time.

Feels weird seeing these PCs while taking a shit with a tablet that has more power than any of the above in the comfort of my hand.

and you certainly can use your tablet for lots of things. but can it run software from back then?

in a lot of ways we haven't evolved that much at all. you would think that a i3 or i5 would have enough computing power to totally emulate a 486 or even a Pentium 3 without shitting on itself.

joke

your head

Where do you guys get these? Were these yours originally or did you buy them/collect from somewhere?

p39 phosphor best phosphor

>QUACK!

thrift stores, junk yards, ebay.

Recycling centers and garage sales (always ask.) That's where I get the best results.

I wonder if there would be value in purchasing this hardware in bulk, holding on to it and resell for shekels in another ten or twenty years.

I've got a trs-80 model 4 that's just sitting around. Poor thing is in need of love that I Don't have anymore

If you mean beige boxes, not really. Too mass-produced and none of them really had an identity or dedicated user/fanbase like say the C64. Most people buying computers in the 90s saw them as commodity tools to get on AOL.

Put it up on Craigslist or some such. I'm sure there's some kids out there would love to have anything old. More than you may think.

>Too mass-produced
That may be true, but so was so many other things like audio equipment and that is flying off the shelves for whoever has it.

holy shit look at all the potential safety hazards. where is this place im reporting them to OSHA

>t. mactoddler

Could you recommend me a good artisan wool scarf maker? I prefer them made from small family farm raised sheep if possible. Also, could you show us your vinyl collection?

Just repaired my ti-994/a. I forgot how slow and shitty basic is on this thing. Going to pick up a copy of assembly for it and see what I can do.

Would build a sleeper in this

no but we can recommend you an artisan wool noose to neck yourself with

Just picked up a DEC VT420 dumb terminal recently, amber screen too which is pretty neat.

Pic related not mine but the same model.

Holy fuck I might be able to get some assistance figuring out what I have.

Does anyone here know what a gang programmer is?

nice, hope you get it set up nicely
I do now

what are you trying to figure out that google won't turn up???

bump

I've had one since it was new and I love the thing. They're wonderful little machines

SymbOS
NOW

>you'll never learn programming on a libretto to then get a cold pepsi with your friends and go rollerblading along the beach

why even live?

>Os on a floppy disk
useless (there is only one disk driver)

...and Sonic is real.

Found a Compaq PC Companion for $5 the other day. Don't know if it works yet, I have to clean out the battery leakage.

I've been wanting one of those forever, or an HP 300LX to replace my 95LX.

99% of the shit here is useless

>Os on a floppy disk
Pretty common for computers of the time.

>(there is only one disk driver)
Drive*

You swap them. Even SymbOS has several disks.

on a cpc amstrad 6128?

>SymbOS is available for all MSX2, MSX2+ and MSX TurboR machines as well as for the complete Amstrad CPC 464/664/6128 range (old and new generation) and all Amstrad PCW models of the 8xxx, 9xxx and 10 series. It requires a minimum of 128KB ram.
>Amstrad CPC 464/664/6128
>6128

I usually just find mechanical keyboards and stuff, but take a look at what I found in the recycling center at my university

It's in great shape, but it looks like it was picked over. I ordered a CPU and some ram that should be arriving soon. I'm going to throw in a Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 and a S3 Trio I have (might upgrade in the future)

I also found two really strange looking full length, double height isa cards (they took up all 4 isa slots) in the machine. From some googling it looks like they were for accelerometer data accusation.

What do you think /retro/g/?

>babys first x86 retro

bump

We do. They're called tablets.

We don't like them as much as ultraportable laptops, but normies love them and they outspend us so that's what gets manufactured.

How about GPD Win and Pocket?

why?

>DJ

I just scored a Compaq Portable Computer but the poor case got cracked in shipping. Still it works, going to have to look for another plastic case. Now I need to figure out the issue with the hard drive.

;^)

Not trying to be a dumb ass here, but are you sure it has a hard drive? It wasn't a standard feature back in those days.

Yeah it has one installed. It's just not making any noise or anything.

It has a number of strange cards as well but I haven't pulled 'em yet.

>Now I need to figure out the issue with the hard drive.
Good luck.
At that vintage it's probably an ST-506.
You might be able to find an ST-506 to IDE adapter.
A lot of aplications from that era bypassed the OS and accessed the HD directly for speed. That's going to be an issue.

>It has a number of strange cards as well but I haven't pulled 'em yet.
Make sure they go back in the same slots you pulled them from. The IRQ, DMA etc chains are very sensitive in those old Compaqs.

is there any difference between these and the cassiopeia a-11 aside from branding?

roger thanks anons

Niche product made by Chinese Autists for Autists around the world. They would probably make more money printing meme shirts.

Why? I see UMPC threads all the time.